Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: Landmark: The Business Roadmap

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week's Everquest Next Landmark write-up isn't going to be very long, but there's going to be quite a bit of information to digest today as Everquest Franchise Director Dave Georgeson revealed Sony Online Entertainment's (SOE) game plan for monetization of Landmark as it moves through the alpha phases into beta.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s EverQuest Next: Landmark - The Business Roadmap.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• achrius777achrius777 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Yeah......NO, no, no, and no again.  Been in Alpha since start and there is no reason to sell resources.  If someone is having issues gathering a certain resource they can get help or tough luck try harder.  There is no logical reason to need to sell resources,  The game is quite amazing so far as it is, Please do not ruin it by selling what can be attained by actually playing the game.
  • CruizerkeCruizerke Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I'd rather pay a sub if I was going to play. There is a point that you can get too where everything is just being nickle and dimed to death with the excuse that it's just a time saver.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    They did a decent job with PS2 item shop so hopefully they do a decent job with this one as well. Have to agree though, hopefully they don't sell resources.
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    What's the difference?  In the end, what advantage does that give?  Everyone is limited by their own creativity anyway.  I'd have more of a problem with templates than resources.
  • Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Is there a way I can buy some resources, and have someone build me a castle? And if interested I could use someone on the weekends to go and raid and grind some dailies in my place? I just dont have time to play games...

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by achrius777
    Yeah......NO, no, no, and no again.  Been in Alpha since start and there is no reason to sell resources.  If someone is having issues gathering a certain resource they can get help or tough luck try harder.  There is no logical reason to need to sell resources,  The game is quite amazing so far as it is, Please do not ruin it by selling what can be attained by actually playing the game.

How would the game be ruined by selling resources? They will be sold regardless, be it SC, real cash, in-game currency. Should players not be able to trade resources at all then? What if joe smoe has no life and gathers non-stop and sells resources very cheaply because that is his enjoyment, this isn't okay either?

Resource gathering isn't supposed to be THE game. I actually enjoy it myself, but having to do it for years on end will probably get a bit tedious.

The logical reasoning is that SOE needs to make money and that some players want to skip chopping of trees and spend more time building. People that purchase things from the shop, especially high amounts are also a small minority in most games. 

They've said this plan is very Landmark specific, which I hope stays true and doesn't roll into EQN. But as Landmark is a game about creating, exploring, and less about "beating" the game or other players, I don't have an issue with resources or boosts for sell as long as anyone can get them from one way or another in-game for "free".

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    It doesn't bother me, as I like gathering resources. People will still buy resources from the player merchants too. It's not a pay to win type of buy item, or one of annoyance.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I went down to Home Depot and bought some resources to build my deck at home. Home Depot is so pay to win. People should really have to mine their own rock, crush it, mine the minerals for cement and mix their own concrete, grow their own trees, log them, mill them, smelt ore and forge their own nails, and also deal with the environmentalists when doing so. (that was just a joke)

If someone wants to pay SoE cash that's really their business. Sell your resources cheaper for something someone else wants and no one will buy Sony's resources.

No one in the thread has yet come up with an explanation why they shouldn't, let alone a good one.

This was my thinking too. 

More to the point, the actual game still is being tweaked, with more gameplay mechanics being changed or added. I'd think some faith may be needed, but I don't see anyone really needing to sound the alarm in this case, unless there's a technical mishap that invalidates all sales.

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I went down to Home Depot and bought some resources to build my deck at home. Home Depot is so pay to win. People should really have to mine their own rock, crush it, mine the minerals for cement and mix their own concrete, grow their own trees, log them, mill them, smelt ore and forge their own nails, and also deal with the environmentalists when doing so. (that was just a joke)

If someone wants to pay SoE cash that's really their business. Sell your resources cheaper for something someone else wants and no one will buy Sony's resources.

No one in the thread has yet come up with an explanation why they shouldn't, let alone a good one.

Now your deck is cooler looking then mine, cheater! =)

Good example. But watch out, people will complain that you can also pick up cheap labor outside Home Depot and not only P2W the supplies but the actually effort.

I could care less what other people do as long as it doesn't have any real impact on me, even some things people consider P2W. If someone has extra cash and is willing to spend it on a game I enjoy, which will help make it better in the long run, sign me up.

Seems some have ability to know how the economy will run in a game before it even exists and how it will be destroyed. They should use those powers to win the lottery so they can P2W.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Since this is supposed to be an Alpha and people are helping SOE test the game I'd think SOE would be interested in gathering data and getting feedback from the players in the building process and in order to help get people to the building stage they would just give the resources to people.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

To me this seems like a slow and not so stealthy creep towards making money in a F2P game (which is common) but with the hope that people won't notice.

The current (recent, I haven't been in for a couple weeks) is a time sink to build the craft stations and basic items you need to 'build' your home. It can be addicting (if you have the personality type) and can easily suck you in.

That said, buy buy buy. Players build templates, SOE sells gold, players buy gold and then buy templates from other players. Sony reaps the benefits of the templates I (and others) make. The early 'phases' involving costumes is just creeping up slowly so we can get used to the idea.

I keep hearing this analogy of a frog in a pot of water. Drop it in boiling and it hops out (or tries to). Bring the pot to a slow boil and the frog sits there because it gets used to the process slowly. Either case, dead frog.

I'm not a gloom and doomer and games can pretty much do what they want, imo. This to me smacks of letting the players do the work and letting SOE reap the rewards though.

Not for me. Yes I paid for Alpha, with no issues but if these 'phases' start, I'm done with the game and most likely SoE.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    @digna don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin