Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future of MMO??

SIRKRASIRKRA Member UncommonPosts: 66

Maybe I'm going a bit rude on this and for sure my thoughts will not be shared by many but are not MMO the mirror of the actual society??

I can see every day peoples concerns about the actual MMOs, comparing new and actual with the old ones, and this make me think.

And if the fault is not of the MMOs but of this society and kind of living that are rapidly changing without us noticing that??

It seems that there is no longer the same time of years ago to enjoy the personal aspect of the life, the society life speed is pushing and pushing, all becoming so fast that anything is almost unenjoyable, technology ahead of all.

I can see this relation between MMOs and the actual real life, there is some kind of aphaty, some kind of "  I want all with the less effort and NOW! ", there are MMOs nowadays that of MULTIPLAYER have only the aspect that are ONLINE GAMES and that you can actually meet some other peoples in the same instance/world but over that, what??

There is no more enjoy, desire, to be with other peoples in an ONLINE game to get to a reward?? Better do that with henchman than to loose time and meet some real peoples. The era of " I'll do all alone". Is the society the real problem?? Making all apathetic, rude etc. I think we're in the era of quantity's better than quality. Technology must be a friendly and helping thing, I'm sure this way is not the right way, and if this is the way thing are going, talking about MMOs in future we'll see single player games called online because if you want you can connect and meet someone instanced with you.

Producers no longer know what to do, asking peoples to give a hand to develop is clearly a good example, why after the old school MMO noone can name another one that done something like those and peoples talking abut those that will never came back?? Because society and mentality has changed.

In the time of the: " I want all now and fast " is not possible to ask for something of quality, and many old school peoples will continue to live of false expectations because the crowd of the new era " I want to play a MMO in single player mode " is the most.

What do you think about that??

Comments

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by SIRKRA

Maybe I'm going a bit rude on this and for sure my thoughts will not be shared by many but are not MMO the mirror of the actual society??

I can see every day peoples concerns about the actual MMOs, comparing new and actual with the old ones, and this make me think.

And if the fault is not of the MMOs but of this society and kind of living that are rapidly changing without us noticing that??

It seems that there is no longer the same time of years ago to enjoy the personal aspect of the life, the society life speed is pushing and pushing, all becoming so fast that anything is almost unenjoyable, technology ahead of all.

I can see this relation between MMOs and the actual real life, there is some kind of aphaty, some kind of "  I want all with the less effort and NOW! ", there are MMOs nowadays that of MULTIPLAYER have only the aspect that are ONLINE GAMES and that you can actually meet some other peoples in the same instance/world but over that, what??

There is no more enjoy, desire, to be with other peoples in an ONLINE game to get to a reward?? Better do that with henchman than to loose time and meet some real peoples. The era of " I'll do all alone". Is the society the real problem?? Making all apathetic, rude etc. I think we're in the era of quantity's better than quality. Technology must be a friendly and helping thing, I'm sure this way is not the right way, and if this is the way thing are going, talking about MMOs in future we'll see single player games called online because if you want you can connect and meet someone instanced with you.

Producers no longer know what to do, asking peoples to give a hand to develop is clearly a good example, why after the old school MMO noone can name another one that done something like those and peoples talking abut those that will never came back?? Because society and mentality has changed.

In the time of the: " I want all now and fast " is not possible to ask for something of quality, and many old school peoples will continue to live of false expectations because the crowd of the new era " I want to play a MMO in single player mode " is the most.

+1

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

I think you are onto something OP-

I also think the biggest change was when computers (and internet) went mainstream. Its a far different playerbase and they overshadow the 'gamers' who were the pioneers of internet gaming.

How many people had computers in their home 20 years ago? How many were 'online'? It certainly wasnt like today where everyone (even grandma) is online and it is nearly a necessity in life for everyone to be online. Back in the day it was the realm of us nerds- Tabletop games-researchers...Today its everyone- And they overshadow 'us'.

We wanted a hard core, number crunching, RPG experience- They want simplistic action and "I WIN" (and look kewl doing it)- They have bigger wallets than us (collectivley) because they are now the 'normal' internet user. Thus games are catering to them. =(

EDIT- The TV heads are taking over- RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

There is a wave of games trying to break the clone WoW genre of MMORPG, when those games come out hopefully there is something good to play. Until then we get garbage like FFXIV, WildStar and ESO.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Ender4

There is a wave of games trying to break the clone WoW genre of MMORPG, when those games come out hopefully there is something good to play. Until then we get garbage like FFXIV, WildStar and ESO.

+1

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234

It seems the norm for most to live on credit and figure out how to pay for it all some other day.

I make good money so does my wife and if we look around at peers it would appear as though we don't make jack, when in reality we have a rainy day fund, 401k's, more than we need, and spend well below our means.

Somehow people picked up living for the day is how they should go about everything and threw being responsible and future planning out of the window.

That's your majority - what does that mean for everyone else? Who knows, the future will tell.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I think MMOs are just games. I enjoy work with others when i am at work, but i don't want my fun to depend on random people on the internet.

I have no obligation to socialize in games, or in any entertainment.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

I think MMOs are just games. I enjoy work with others when i am at work, but i don't want my fun to depend on random people on the internet.

Turns out they make an entire Genre of games for your mindset, Singe Player Games.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by SIRKRA

some kind of "  I want all with the less effort and NOW! "

I want all with the less effort and NOW!  And for free!

(fixed :) )

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         Back in the day..   It was great to sign on, and say hi to everyone on your friends list, and in the guild.. So many times I was instantly invited to go "play" with people I met in the game.. At times I cursed that groups only allowed 5 or 6 because there were just too many of us that wanted to have fun as a group of 7, 8 and more.. How great it would of been to find areas in open world zones that large groups, or small size raids could of had fun in regularly.. I can not recall the last game I played where I felt like a member of a family.. (probably WoW pre-LK)..
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Originally posted by Rydeson
         Back in the day..   It was great to sign on, and say hi to everyone on your friends list, and in the guild.. So many times I was instantly invited to go "play" with people I met in the game.. At times I cursed that groups only allowed 5 or 6 because there were just too many of us that wanted to have fun as a group of 7, 8 and more.. How great it would of been to find areas in open world zones that large groups, or small size raids could of had fun in regularly.. I can not recall the last game I played where I felt like a member of a family.. (probably WoW pre-LK)..

good times good times.. just be glad that you where able to be part of it. alot of the gamers today have never experienced such a thing so all they know is this anti social crap that it's become.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Turns out they make an entire Genre of games for your mindset, Singe Player Games.

Of course. Why do you think I am even here? I would not have been if MMOs are still like UO & EQ.

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

I think the so called old school gamers are missing out. They are judging a book by its cover so to speak. Take a game like EQ - it was hard it the beginning but once you got going it was easier. You just had to have patience to find a group and grind. Nowadays games are more solo friendly but they play better and are more fun  in groups. Its not just stand in one spot and hit the same buttons over and over. You have to move your character around and react to events much quicker.

Developers have just tried to be more inclusive in design. So you have lots of easy single player content at the start - and some group friendly difficult content at the end. This easy to play hard to master set up is the best for MMOs. They are the equivalent of an action movie at the theater. You have some comedy, some action and some love interest bit. Its something for everyone..

Originally posted by GuyClinch

I think the so called old school gamers are missing out. They are judging a book by its cover so to speak. Take a game like EQ - it was hard it the beginning but once you got going it was easier. You just had to have patience to find a group and grind. Nowadays games are more solo friendly but they play better and are more fun  in groups. Its not just stand in one spot and hit the same buttons over and over. You have to move your character around and react to events much quicker.

Developers have just tried to be more inclusive in design. So you have lots of easy single player content at the start - and some group friendly difficult content at the end. This easy to play hard to master set up is the best for MMOs. They are the equivalent of an action movie at the theater. You have some comedy, some action and some love interest bit. Its something for everyone..

I agree. The old schoolers are missing out .. but that is their problem, not mine.

Modern MMOs are much better games. It would be even better if difficulty options (like that in D3) is more prevalent. There should be no grounds of "too easy" or "too hard" once a difficulty slider is put into a game.