Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Do people actually ROLEPLAY anymore?

Comments

• ComafComaf Chicago, ILPosts: 1,154Member Common
    Originally posted by Suilebhain

I recall the good old days of DAOC where, on the roleplay servers, nearly everyone roleplayed to some degree, even if it was just to say "Hail". Almost never did I encounter people who would approach my elf with their lurikeen and say "whatup dude?" Later, SWG provided a similar, even expanded immersive experience, as player cities became hubs of roleplay activity  where you could wander into a cantina and find people ready, willing and able to engage in improvisational roleplay nearly any time of the day or night.

Now, though, finding anything resembling a roleplay community that approaches that of Albion/Percival or the entire Nimue server is like finding hen's teeth. Not even on roleplay servers in alleged MMORPGS do people roleplay. I know this all started with WOW and the absurd and infamous Barrens Chat, but it has speard and now nowhere provides a welcoming place for people who prefer a greater level of immersion.

My most recent escapade came about in Runes of Magic. F2P games attract the most casual of players, but on the unofficial RP server there were only a few guilds and no casual roleplay that I could find. The folks in the guilds seemed like nice enough people, but the majority of their interaction was spent in an OOC channel labeled RP, which really was just a sign to those seeking others who enjoyed RP rather than providing any true outlet. There were little to no in-game opportunities to roleplay, as there was back in DAOC and SWG.

So, is it time to drop the RPG from MMORPG and just call it MMO.Com? Do people even value random roleplay ex periences or is it all about gear/level acquisition (AKA Achievement), raiding, and PvP?

Most games aren't built to inspire RP.  Before I say anything else, when I talk of RP, I am NOT referring to emo erotic mid 40s-50s year old men who say they are 14 year old girls in real life, pretending to be night elf hunters in Goldshire on the Moonguard server of World of Warcraft.  

Games today are built to bring entertainment to the masses.  So, when a developer gets with his pals and they get the drawing board out, they draw this gigantic fishiing net and call it an mmoRPG.  The larger the fishing net, the more players it "captures."  The sacrifice of so large a net, is that you must stay away from depth. 

You can't inspire the Lore of Agra'Sothar in that the Lothrain Elves of that land are are locked in a perpetual war with the brutish, Pavek people of the upper Stonehold Mountains, and then play it off where they can (a) join each other's guilds (b) where they might be at war, but they all quest in the same zone mysteriously for the exact same gear rewards and sometimes just grief one another and (c) where the Lothrain Elves actually pvp each other as well and by the way, did I mention that both factions have the same armor, spells, and animations? 

I liked that you pointed out Dark Age of Camelot.  The mmorpg that no one will ever attempt to imitate past possibly 10-15 % of what it offered (Warhammer for example...mega sigh).

So, I'm talking about fight for your realm RP.  A few years before WoW watered down the genre into a fast food theme park experience and the gaming community was wrecked from then on...there was Everquest, Asheron's Call, Ultima, and Dark Age of Camelot.

I'll speak for Dark Age of Camelot - though some huge RP went on in Ultima, AC and EQ.  RP in Dark Age (DAoC) was focused on merely playing the role of your character.  This also meant you also wanted to fight the other realms in order to bring honor to your own.  Eventually, we had full siege warfare, castles in three frontiers (one frontier per realm), and non of it instanced. 

What helped the RP feel?  (just pointing out a few races etc...this title has THREE realms, 44 classes and 24 races).

For one, races and classes were separated among the realms/factions.  So, Dwarves, Trolls, Kobolds, Svartalf (Dark Elves) and Norse represented one realm, that of Midgard and the frozen northBritons, Half-Ogers, Avalonians, Highlanders, etc., represented an Arthurian realm, Albion - the age of chivalry and so forth was birthed here not long after King Arthur's death.  The final realm was the bringing to life of the Emerald Isle of Ireland...better known  as Hibernia.  Here were the Elves, the Lurikeen (think Hobbits), Celts, Firbolgs, and so forth.  The races DID NOT fight each other.  They had realm pride, they defended their own as a united culture - not just a roving guild of random fantasy races.

For two, because RP/RPG was not cosmetic, this meant that there was more than a starting zone for a realm that flooded the other realms in crossover questing for all.  You could go from levels 1-50 (end game) in your own culture, including epic raids and pve conquests of all sorts (non instanced). 

Today, the races and classes all mingle together in random guild divisory.  PvP is mostly E-Sport, i.e., just ladder rankings and personal gain that doesn't relfect on anyone but yourself.  You can't RP in this kind of environment without really ignoring a majority of the cosmetically engineered environment.

Dark Age, with its clear pvp borders, separation of races and the gods they worshiped, the very differences in the names of each class (sorry ESO, but no Orc Templar vs your Elf Templar here...), and thusly, massive sense of RP and immersive quality.  I really felt I was playing in a medieval fantasy world.  It truly was an escape. 

Sadly, this sense of variation is gone.  Developers are terrified of the "grass is greener" syndrome.  Either they want carbon copies on all factions of the classes (Tauren Paladin and Dwarf Shaman, anyone?) or...they want the classes to be "classless" even though they have to know that a classless system just means certain builds will be flavor of the month and still exist alive and well on every forum that begins with: Does anyone have a good Templar build for pvp?  Once that one build is advertised, all three factions in ESO will be copy pasting.  The white pew pew spells of the Rejuvenation Staff Templar will be the same, whether you are orc or elf or dwarf.

Shame.  Whoever heard of a Tauren Paladin, anyway?  Nonsense along with the flying reindeer and tiny pet wars.

• kjempffkjempff AarhusPosts: 883Member Uncommon

There are two definitions of rp as I see it. One is the roleplay as OP mentioned, beeing in character, and the other is playing a role in the game, like healer, cc, tank, crafter.

When games does not support character roles as much as they used to, where hard set roles have softened, it has some effect on how players view their characters, and therefore also their roleplay. Also the technification of gameplay plays part, pace and briefness of player interaction does some, length of gameplay sessions, efford vs reward, and alot of other small things combined makes players not have a close bond to their characters and as a result are not interested in creating a personality for them.

And as a last factor, many of the players brought into the genre with WoW, are not as interested in rp.. There are mmorpg players and there are mmo players, roughly put.

• TelilTelil telfordPosts: 282Member

most people dont roleplay due to Voice systems.

Years ago you had to type to speak and this meant people could roleplay while playing games. These days if you try to roleplay your wife will probably look across the room at you thinking you have gone mad.

I really do dislike voice systems in fantasy MMo's. it spolis the immersivness for me.

• ComafComaf Chicago, ILPosts: 1,154Member Common
    Originally posted by Telil

most people dont roleplay due to Voice systems.

Years ago you had to type to speak and this meant people could roleplay while playing games. These days if you try to roleplay your wife will probably look across the room at you thinking you have gone mad.

I really do dislike voice systems in fantasy MMo's. it spolis the immersivness for me.

In Dark Age of Camelot, very few of us were using Ventrillo and Teamspeak type programs.  Yet, 300 man pvp raids were the norm, and 8 man vs 8 man vs 8 man teams of open world pvp was a non stop fun fest.  We could type quickly, we were mostly well educated, and the era of TEXT TALK leet speak - had not yet reared it's hideous head.

Remember, when mmoRPGs first came out, they already appealed to a niche audience.  That niche audience was the leftover of pen and paper dice gamers from the Dungeons and Dragons, et al., era.  We could RP our asses off and be completely inebriated to boot (this was great for Dwarf players).  We could visualize quite a bit then as well, and come up with actual RP names that didn't have the word, Legolas in the name, or some witty sexual reference.

This was a different time, of an age undreamed of...and no, definitely not referring to the debacle of Age of Where is Conan?

• GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnPosts: 2,473Member Uncommon

I always write/imagine the backstory of my character, if the game is of RPG origin and it doesn't use preset characters(Think Geralt et al). Even in Diablo and such games where it's crazy to expect of me to imagine anything to begin with, I do the backstories. I H.A.T.E. it when the game tells me who I am or what I should do.

I also pay great tribute/care to naming characters. I'll use two examples that could be obvious, but they really aren't. Warcraft example: what's the difference between VELDAAR and VELDAR. Also which race is named thusly? Second example(Elven one): which one is of Wood Elf origin: Felerion or Aethilmar(what a nice name! Just thought of it!)? See what I mean ;) THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT to me. You wouldn't name a German daughter Nu-Lin would you? The same goes for the Chinese son and Sigmar(sorry I had to :P).

But I am a dinosaur because I treat games like interactive novels, not like "HERP DERP PLAY WHEN DRUNK" experiences that fratboys of today do in ever increasing amounts.

Then there is a point that most people don't know how to write in paragraphs, let alone coherently. People today are sadly more illiterate than they were 10 years ago(added stress etc worked its magic). Games also aren't made to be RPed in. Compare Morrowind/Daggerfall to Skyrim/Oblivion. Compare DaOC to WAR. Compare EQ to WoW. Note all these "HOT" mmo nonsense of late(Scarlet Blade etc). When the game has got nothing going for it, it'll use EVERY CONCEIVABLE asset to promote itself. Including tits, asses etc. Sadly.

I don't RP that much because I don't find it appealing becuse the RP in games came down to "texting outside of inn" or various ERPs(/shudders). I even create characters on the RP servers (Argent Dawn WoW, Argent Rift, EU RP server LoTR:O, RP PvE server AoC{while it was still online}, ...), but I find it so rarely and in so watered down versions that I lose all desire to RP. Still, the community is WAAAY better on those servers. That's why I play on those servers in the First place. When the games will embrace RP like they used to(DAoC, EQ, vanilla WoW, U:O etc), I'll be RPing like I used to(can't wait for it! :P). Hell I even wrote my own backstory/parallel story when I was playing NWN 1 in SINGLEPLAYER. That was SO MUCH FUN and better than just whacking random mobs that I can't describe it. Is like living and breathing through your character.

Meh perhaps one day eh? Until then I can yearn(what with all the unique mmorpgs being taken offline etc) :D

• SirPKsAlotSirPKsAlot bagong silangPosts: 224Member
    I roleplay my ass off even in games that don't call for it. For example, I roleplay in LoL.

Currently playing: Eldevin Online as a Deadly Assassin

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Comaf
     we were mostly well educated, and the era of TEXT TALK leet speak - had not yet reared it's hideous head.

1 m155 |,31n6 4|,|3 2 5p34|< |1|<3 7}{15 . I truly do...It was in full swing when I was starting to play online games...

• haplo602haplo602 Posts: 212Member Uncommon

You can't google exact guides on roleplay, so nobody does it anymore :-) It needs creativity and imagination. Not just a follow the herd/copy the leader attitude.

1. There's simply no space for it, every time wasting feature of modern games is removed for convenience (we have group/dungeon finders, instant adventure/quest systems etc).

2. There's no need for it to get anything. When's the last time you had to do a decent acting to get gear ? There were fun times when some unusual and elaborate begging could net you help from complete strangers just because of the performance.

3. RP does not match instant gratification attitude.

• JagaridJagarid West Covina, CAPosts: 415Member
    The decline of roleplay in rpgs is the fault of the role players, not those who have no interest in it.

I am all for it, but in the post ten years the Role play communities in every mmo I have played caused me to avoid them like the plague. 8 out of ten "role players" have ridiculously over the top back stories, often involving being at least part vampire, part demi-god...or both....even when said back story makes no sense in the game's lore. The other 2 in ten thinks Role play means cyber sex...

Obviously I am exaggerating a little, but the fact is I avoid roleplay in online games because most of the people who role play in them are horribly bad at doing it, completely over the top such that it ruins immersion, or only interested in cyber sex...the roleplay community itself killed role-playing.
  • jircrisjircris bakersfield, CAPosts: 410Member Uncommon
    From what i have seen on most mmos RP has turned in to ERP. when i ask for a RP guild i end up getting 4-7 offers for ERP guilds. I do miss the days of UO where i could RP all day long while lvling it was fun and a great way to kill stress

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• GrayImpactGrayImpact NetherlandsPosts: 984Member Uncommon

I love roleplaying In MMO's but its just rarely ever supported.

The last MMO i remember some form of roleplay support in was World of warcraft.

Theres never any roleplaying servers so we're forced to start roleplaying guilds, they have trouble being found and slowly decay over time just to vanish.

Without support roleplay will always be an incredibly hard to find minority of the playerbase.

• jircrisjircris bakersfield, CAPosts: 410Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Graylen

I love roleplaying In MMO's but its just rarely ever supported.

The last MMO i remember some form of roleplay support in was World of warcraft.

Theres never any roleplaying servers so we're forced to start roleplaying guilds, they have trouble being found and slowly decay over time just to vanish.

Without support roleplay will always be an incredibly hard to find minority of the playerbase.

Actually most RP websights will get togeather and vote on a server as the "unofficial server" for RP GW2 is tarnished coast and piken square (TC=NA PS=EU)

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthPosts: 2,641Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Some people take their role play very seriously...

Oh wow, at first I thought that must've been SWG, since it certainly didn't look like SWTOR - and then I noticed at the top of the page... "Star Wars Roleplay News in Second Lifeimage

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• justinsalesartjustinsalesart Seagrove Beach, FLPosts: 120Member Uncommon
    I've never had much luck RPing in MMOs. Probably the reason I've been playing text games for as long as I have. I lose something when I can see what's happening, rather than when I'm forced to imagine it.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms (That's right, I pay 15 bucks a month for a text game.)

• ReklawReklaw Am.Posts: 6,478Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by KeepInGates

I know what you're talking about. I remember not but a few years ago, I was an Imperial Stormtrooper, searching cantina patrons for contraband on mos eiesly. (Starsider, btw.)

I think it's Kids these days, bro. Their minds have been boggled down by the crap Tv shows, movies, and video games that seem to qualify as "Good writing".  Because of this, they don't know how to come up with a good story.

That's just my opinion. But it also could be that people are too lazy nowadays. Or find it "Uncool".

Don't you think it's because this genre has become incredible limited as in just being a online combat game with some progression feature's?. There isn't much freedom to do what you want unless it involves combat.

For me the old provided me with allot of different playstyle's put into a MMORPG. Which in turn gave allot more "roleplay" oppertunity's.

• EST1992EST1992 Atlanta, GAPosts: 1Member

I'm young (late-teenage years, early twenties over here) and I gotta say from what I've heard from all of the older RPers I've met in my time roleplaying I wish I was around for it back then. I don't even mean on MMOs, either. I started roleplaying at like thirteen? That was on e-feds, then I switched over to forum based roleplaying and around fifteen I was involved in SA-MP's RP world. I'm one of those who adds a level of RP no matter what game it is. I can't help it, and I don't frown at it because that's what I find enjoyable. I play Most Wanted when I'm pretty bored and even on there I'll drive at low speeds and act like I'm going to get something to eat. Then if I'm on Skyrim I don't even focus on what the game wants me to do I just explore and do things my character would do. Recently, I was invited to WoW. A friend from SA-MP rp servers (which is GTA San Andreas multiplayer for those who don't know) was going on and on about how much fun she has on these WoW servers. So I do some homework on it and after reading all the things I've read about it on Google, I don't even wanna give it a try. I would like to roleplay in some fantasy setting with mature RPers but I guess those don't exist. I think everyone in this thread for letting me know that even trying to roleplay on MMORPGs is a terrible experience. You really saved me from wasting my time. I guess I'll stick to LS-RP on SAMP lol. It may have a real life setting with gangs, cops, organized crime, drug dealers and serial killers but at least there is in-depth roleplay there with character development, rules against non rp names, metagame, powergame, etc. Again, thank you all for saving me my time.

HOWEVER, seeing as how a lot of the people who have posted in this thread seem to be hardcore roleplayers please give me some suggestions. I wouldn't mind even roleplaying with y'all in whatever games you happen to be playing. As long as the rp is good! Not no half ass RP with rpers who typ lyk dis n only want 2 troll n esex while they wank.

Sorry for whatever grammar mistakes to whatever grammar nazis they would/do concern.. This seems like a passive forum and I don't think grade-A English matters here.

• R2DaniR2Dani ShenzhenPosts: 3Member

I tried to RP in WoW for a little while, but no one seemed to understand why my mage was going on about death being the only thing that seemed to grant her magical knowledge. I mean, if I'm in a game, and somehow killing boars makes me wiser, you're damned right my character's going to say something!

And the next time I tried it, I drove myself crazy saying everything in the Trollish accent...

I do the bulk of my roleplaying in person or on IRC, where I've been in a game for almost four years now. I don't think I've been really inspired to RP in an MMO since I played Lord of the Rings Online way-back...

• skyline385skyline385 BangalorePosts: 564Member
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Some people take their role play very seriously...

Oh wow, at first I thought that must've been SWG, since it certainly didn't look like SWTOR - and then I noticed at the top of the page... "Star Wars Roleplay News in Second Lifeimage

I actually had some crazy RP experiences in SWTOR. Their RP site is way more active than the one linked above.

http://www.swtor-rp.com/

• DerrosDerros Posts: 1,077Member Uncommon

My wife still RPs, shes in FF14 right now.  She mainly plays male characters now, since thats the easiest way to avoid the "r u a girl irl" or "want to cyber?" whispers that she used to get.

I tried it back in the Neverwinter days on a private server, wasnt for me.

• jusomdudejusomdude Somewhere, KSPosts: 2,401Member
    My RPing ends at giving my characters a setting appropriate name. Although I do sometimes give my characters silly names.
  • skyline385skyline385 BangalorePosts: 564Member
    Originally posted by Derros

My wife still RPs, shes in FF14 right now.  She mainly plays male characters now, since thats the easiest way to avoid the "r u a girl irl" or "want to cyber?" whispers that she used to get.

I tried it back in the Neverwinter days on a private server, wasnt for me.

Tell your Wife this isn't the 90s anymore. I have played tons of male & female characters for years and i am yet to get a "r u a girl irl" message. The only time i got a Erotic whisper on a female character was when i wandered into an ongoing ERP in GW2 which was obviously to be expected.

• ArielyAriely gentPosts: 68Member
    Originally posted by KeepInGates

I know what you're talking about. I remember not but a few years ago, I was an Imperial Stormtrooper, searching cantina patrons for contraband on mos eiesly. (Starsider, btw.)

I think it's Kids these days, bro. Their minds have been boggled down by the crap Tv shows, movies, and video games that seem to qualify as "Good writing".  Because of this, they don't know how to come up with a good story.

That's just my opinion. But it also could be that people are too lazy nowadays. Or find it "Uncool".

Another thing that's wrong with people, just blindly say things like "the kids these days " tss.

And rp is like a fetish some people are into it others are not. i'm not into it, if i wanted to praise the lord would be christian, as a player i find every other player equall and not lord-titel-worthy. but then again that's personal.

• AkulasAkulas GoldcoastPosts: 1,617Member Uncommon
    My good dark elf doesn't get frowned upon in EQ2 even on a roleplay server so it's safe to say that people do not roleplay as much as they used to. I put this down to MMORPGs becoming more mainstream and it's not just the pale nerds who play anymore.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Michigan, MIPosts: 234Member

Yes people roleplay often, but usually not in public now that MMORPG's have attracted less-than supportive players as well. They typically keep it in private chat and/or their guild forums.

WildStar will actually have a roleplay chat option that allows players to ONLY see roleplay chat, see BOTH or ignore it completely.