Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

European Union: Stop calling games "free to play" which are not!

Comments

• JacxolopeJacxolope Jackson, MIPosts: 924Member
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Was about time.

But what comes next

a.buy to free ?

b.pay to play 4 free ?

c.free to play if you pay ?

d.?

hahahahahahahahah-

Interesting point...

I say 'Microtransaction game" would be fitting (something along those lines)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon

How stupid...

Every one knows everything in life comes for free...

Coca  Cola is free to drink

On a bench in the park its free to eat

We got free education and free healthcare overhere in europe

and we freed the slaves over 200 years ago

Everyone and everything comes for Free...

But then advertising something as being Free to play...  and hinting its free of all costs... is still misleading.  And i actually support this move, because despite my funny remarks above here, everyone knows nothing in life comes free. And Free to Play is only a marketing campaign used to trick people into believing its for free while tricking them with every move they make to spend money...

just like on a package od cigarets is printed :deadly poison.... on these games needs to be printed : requires micro payments to enjoy to their fullest

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PAL-18PAL-18 AnachronoxPosts: 802Member
    Originally posted by Jacxolope
    Originally posted by PAL-18

Was about time.

But what comes next

a.buy to free ?

b.pay to play 4 free ?

c.free to play if you pay ?

d.?

hahahahahahahahah-

Interesting point...

I say 'Microtransaction game" would be fitting (something along those lines)

Might be might be.But they need that "punch" line which sounds like a win compared to "monthly fees"

Might be also borrow to play,deposit some money to us or even loan some money and you get play time for free in exchange!

Banked money can be used to open boxes and other minigames.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.
    By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar:http://cyberpunk.net/**

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,209Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

How stupid...

Every one knows everything in life comes for free...

Coca  Cola is free to drink

On a bench in the park its free to eat

We got free education and free healthcare overhere in europe

and we freed the slaves over 200 years ago

Everyone and everything comes for Free...

But then advertising something as being Free to play...  and hinting its free of all costs... is still misleading.  And i actually support this move, because despite my funny remarks above here, everyone knows nothing in life comes free. And Free to Play is only a marketing campaign used to trick people into believing its for free while tricking them with every move they make to spend money... 

just like on a package od cigarets is printed :deadly poison.... on these games needs to be printed : requires micro payments to enjoy to their fullest

I've not seen one game that claims to be free of all costs. Is that something you made up? That would be misleading and hypocritical. Funny how being honest and upright is always the responsibility of the other guy.

Maybe all games should be required to print how and what they charge for and full disclosure on limitations for not paying. For example:

1. Requires a monthly rental fee or you will lose access to the game and everything you've paid into it. In addition to the monthly rental fees the game also charges one or more of the following fees:

2. Requires an up front box fee.

3. Requires annual dlc transaction fee to access new content.

4. Offers digital microtransactions not available in the game (pre-order bonus incentives, upgrade packs, "deluxe" editions packages containing advantageous content unavailable through the monthly rental fee).

5. Sells virtual currency (like a PLEX system).

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Behind you, ORPosts: 1,522Member Uncommon

Not sure why the need to think this through so much. If you can play a game without paying a fee...it's F2P...PERIOD!

Stop the need to categorize everything....for the love of Buddha!

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Hows this: Free to Play -> subscription free (or subscription optional)

P2P -> subscription locked. They should also have to disclose any other extra fees they charge just like sub-free games should.

That would be honest. You're all into honesty right?

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Behind you, ORPosts: 1,522Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Torvaldr

[mod edit]

[mod edit] Hows this: Free to Play -> subscription free (or subscription optional) P2P -> subscription locked. They should also have to disclose any other extra fees they charge just like sub-free games should. That would be honest. You're all into honesty right?  

Yes...we are into honesty...and honestly...you people are making a conversation out of nothing

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• waynejr2waynejr2 West Toluca Lake, CAPosts: 4,474Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by arieste

What's next?  I can't have a "Free" car because it doesn't come with a lifetime supply of gasoline?  Or a free slice of pizza because it doesn't include the required healthcare and gym membership?    

Very few things in the world are totally free without the chance that you'll either pay for it somehow or buy other things.  

What about buy one get one free?  It isn't free if you have spend but you are spending so........

Originally posted by Gestankfaust

Originally posted by Torvaldr

[mod edit]

[mod edit] Hows this: Free to Play -> subscription free (or subscription optional) P2P -> subscription locked. They should also have to disclose any other extra fees they charge just like sub-free games should. That would be honest. You're all into honesty right?  

Yes...we are into honesty...and honestly...you people are making a conversation out of nothing

The entire thread is a dishonest farce. The problem being addressed is about free mobile apps with in app purchases targeting children. The OP made it about F2P vs P2P mmos[mod edit]

Microsoft already has a way of dealing with this with Windows Phones. There is a "kids corner" mode to the phone that allows your kids to play games and apps on your phone without accessing the rest of the phone or being authorized to purchase. The problem has been addressed on my mobile platform. If the problem is real then consumers could go to Windows Phone or push Google and Apple to add similar protections. When Google and Apple add those, then is there really a need for a government or governments to legislate marketing lingo? Governments (US, EU, and many others around the globe) seem to have a very poor grasp of tech culture.

• ArthasmArthasm LoznicaPosts: 754Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gestankfaust
    You are still typing too much for F2P...it is or it isn't. It's not a moral dilemma...it's a game that is free to play.

Nothing is that clear or black and white I think.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower AustraliaPosts: 1,508Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    All depends on how you define the word "play."

This. ^^

It's not the word free in question. Rather the content you are allowed to play for it that is.

• StizzledStizzled Springfield, MOPosts: 1,264Member Uncommon

Don't know what they hope to accomplish. The most they're going to get is another screen that pops up after the TOS listing all the things the game charges for, a screen which everyone will just click "Accept" and bypass immediately without reading. It's a complete waste of time if you ask me.

This is the wrong section for this by the way. The article has nothing to do with MMOs, this thread belongs in the General Gaming section. But of course, this is just an anti F2P troll thread, so I'm sure the placement was deliberate.

• KuviskiKuviski KajaaniPosts: 214Member
    Personally I am definitely in support of this. Advertising should be regulated toughly, especially when its aimed at children (which a lot of "free" to play games are) and let's face it, a lot of games calling themselves F2P really aren't: most of the time the free portion is in fact a trial of some sort.
  • AzureProwerAzurePrower AustraliaPosts: 1,508Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kuviski
    Personally I am definitely in support of this. Advertising should be regulated toughly, especially when its aimed at children (which a lot of "free" to play games are) and let's face it, a lot of games calling themselves F2P really aren't: most of the time the free portion is in fact a trial of some sort.

New term to coin!

F2D.

Free to D.

Free to Demo.

• KyllienKyllien Renton, WAPosts: 315Member

Stupid European Union.  Come on everyone knows that free to play means you can download the game for free.  Then you can play the game for free.  In-game purchases are optional.

New required model for purchasing a new game:

Base Game: $0.00

Play time: $0.00

Future purchase options:

Option 1: $1.00

Option 2: $.50

Option 3432: $15.00

Bundle 1: $30.00

Bundle 1 include 1: $5.00

Bundle 15 ...

Originally posted by AzurePrower

New term to coin!

F2D.

Free to D.

Free to Demo.

So, I'm only playing a demo of SWTOR, or Neverwinter, or RIFT? How about Planetside 2, or Everquest Next: Landmark, or Path of Exile, World of Tanks, Star Trek Online, Champions Online or DC Universe Online, are those only demos as well?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,666Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

Rift will keep the label in EU - as it is really free to play in its entirety.

According to the quote in the OP, the optional purchases will cause it to lose that title. That said, I'd like to see data that shows that any significant number of people outside a tiny handful of obtuse folks here are actually misled by the name. 

The commission's goal seems to be to change the term, which the F2P marketing teams would love to see happen, as they can ride the buzz around the new name for months, if not a year or so. It opens a new window for them to pitch the value of the business model - No box fee! No sub! Play [GameTitle], the hottest [NewTerm] [Genre] of 2014!

It would be interesting to see how much money and time they waste on this project.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyllienKyllien Renton, WAPosts: 315Member
    Originally posted by Stizzled

New term to coin!

F2D.

Free to D.

Free to Demo.

So, I'm only playing a demo of SWTOR, or Neverwinter, or RIFT? How about Planetside 2, or Everquest Next: Landmark, or Path of Exile, World of Tanks, Star Trek Online, Champions Online or DC Universe Online, are those only demos as well?

I suspect and hope they are actually looking more at the casual game market: Farm Ville ..., Smurf ... You know games that you can only play for 5 minutes at a time  once every 24 hours unless you buy something to extend play time immediately.

• Swids2010Swids2010 plymouthPosts: 244Member
    Always amaze's me how many people think there entitled to be just given free games. This will have come about because some idiot will of been playing a game come to a pay wall of some sort and shit a brick "What they want me to pay some money for a game that up till now I've been playing for free stealing gits" Next he's calling his lawyers a couple years later it turns into this something that's just needed.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,666Member Uncommon
    [mod edit]

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AeanderAeander Walker, LAPosts: 522Member Uncommon
    Completely asinine. The games are, in technicality, free-to-play, and disallowing the label on even strictly optional cosmetic purposes is absurd. 
  • SpiiderSpiider BinzPosts: 474Member Uncommon

Oh no, politicians want to protect us. Run for the hills!!!

Seriously if you want to have a big problem just let poltticians solve small problems for you. And now they "care" about naming of free to play... LOL!! Why are we paying their salaries I wonder sometimes.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

Originally posted by Kyllien
    Originally posted by Stizzled

New term to coin!

F2D.

Free to D.

Free to Demo.

I suspect and hope they are actually looking more at the casual game market: Farm Ville ..., Smurf ... You know games that you can only play for 5 minutes at a time  once every 24 hours unless you buy something to extend play time immediately.

They are, but most people in this thread are talking about MMOs because it was the OP's intention to stir up another F2P MMO debate.

I'd like to add that I'm all for this if it will actually do some good, which I doubt it will. The same thing could be accomplished by parents if they would just pay attention to what their kids are doing, but it's easier to just let the government worry about it. Most parents couldn't care less about what their children do, that is until it has an effect on their bank account.

• MikePaladinMikePaladin NewYork, NYPosts: 233Member

OMG we needed this so much !!!! Hope this is cure pill for MMO industy because they wont be able to face roll people with their fake models maybe now they will focus on Quality instead if quantity. This is some great news!

This people.... 

MMO game industry make crazy amount of money some in very unfair and scum ways....

Now that game can go on market and milk slowly gamers they will be forced to focus on quality.

Seriously view on problem of people is so small .... we live and a time of dumb people and we get dumber !