Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solo Raiding. Who wants it?

Comments

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Mmo's have added tons of solo content in recent years, practically making the online portion of the game pointless for some people.  I love a good solo rpg, but seriously I play mmo's to play with my friends and make new friends.  If you want to solo in mmo's today there are a ton of things to do, but why should you be able to kill the top encounters of a game solo when other people have to work together as a team to get it done.  I will say though games like wow and rift have even added solo or two man encounters with their scenarios and such so I don't know what else it is you expect them to add.

Not all who wander are lost...

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Calypsx
    I personally want to be able to do every dungeon with just my boyfriend and I, or one other friend. I've wanted a multiplayer elder scrolls game for a long time but having more than 4 people on a team really stresses me out sometimes in other MMORPG's. A party of 4 is my personal favorite at its maximum. The huge raid thing has never appealed to me.A co-op 2 player dungeon feature would be ideal for me.

all of the public dungeons are designed for 2 player groups last i heard, just a FYI

• CalypsxCalypsx Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by baphamet

I personally want to be able to do every dungeon with just my boyfriend and I, or one other friend. I've wanted a multiplayer elder scrolls game for a long time but having more than 4 people on a team really stresses me out sometimes in other MMORPG's. A party of 4 is my personal favorite at its maximum. The huge raid thing has never appealed to me.

A co-op 2 player dungeon feature would be ideal for me.

all of the public dungeons are designed for 2 player groups last i heard, just a FYI

Just the public ones? How big are the instanced ones? Can they be done with 3-4 players?

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    If its completely new content I would be all for it, if your just talking about a solo version of a current raid then it would be a no from me
  • iseldieraiseldiera Member Posts: 36

no.

anything unsocial and not based on open world exploring should be kept out of this game - its philsophy contradicts with it. 

please add more open world content that promotes socializing.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by Calypsx I personally want to be able to do every dungeon with just my boyfriend and I, or one other friend. I've wanted a multiplayer elder scrolls game for a long time but having more than 4 people on a team really stresses me out sometimes in other MMORPG's. A party of 4 is my personal favorite at its maximum. The huge raid thing has never appealed to me.   A co-op 2 player dungeon feature would be ideal for me.
    Just the public ones? How big are the instanced ones? Can they be done with 3-4 players?

instanced ones are 4 man but i am sure you can 3 man them if you are a tad bit higher or well geared.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

I think the real fear here is that people somehow think that if there is other options for end game progression that soon no one will 12+ person raid or be social.   Well, dont worry, I'm here to tell you,  just because I can continue to progress end game slowly playing solo does not mean I'm going to in any way never going to raid anymore, group anymore, or be a social pain in the ass to everyone. I think that fear is unfounded and has no evidence in any past game I played. 

So then all that left is, why do you not want anyone who has more free time/solo time then you who raids and progresses solo end game, to be able to slowly progress further in end game?   Or why does it bother you that someone who is a single player type gamer would want to spend their entire gameplay being solo and just using other social features to be social other then raiding 12+ person.

I think of it as a loyalty bonus that will keep/retain these players who run out of things to do end game, the more time you can keep a player in your game at end game, the better chances of them never leaving to a game they play to fill in thier non progression time, and I seen this happen alot ot players who get bored, just end up in another game all together because they dont want to pay a sub for only 2-5 hours a week progression time,  so why not reward them a little bit more with endless non-mob grinding  solo end game challenging progression to keep them playing your game?

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

This is kind of what I was thinking SWTOR should do with it's "dailies". When ever you want to go do your daily missions there are always ten people standing there wanting to do the same thing as you, and then it becomes impossible to get them done. I always thought they should be an instance instead of people just pissing off other people. Like this idea, a solo instance.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Knotwood

I think the real fear here is that people somehow think that if there is other options for end game progression that soon no one will 12+ person raid or be social.   Well, dont worry, I'm here to tell you,  just because I can continue to progress end game slowly playing solo does not mean I'm going to in any way never going to raid anymore, group anymore, or be a social pain in the ass to everyone. I think that fear is unfounded and has no evidence in any past game I played. 

So then all that left is, why do you not want anyone who has more free time/solo time then you to be able to progress further in end game?   Or why does it bother you that someone who is a single player type gamer would want to spend their entire gameplay being solo and just using other social features to be social other then raiding 12+ person.

I think of it as a loyalty bonus that will keep these players who run out of things to do, the more time you can keep a player in your game, the better chances of them never leaving to a game they play to fill in thier non progression time, and I seen this happen alot ot players who get bored, just end up in another game all together because they dont want to pay a sub for only 2-5 hours a week progression time,  so why not reward them a little bit more to keep them playing your game?

If its end game progression your worried about then you shouldn't tbh

From what I understand gear is gated by veteran ranks rather than content type, the higher the veteran rank the better the "tier" of gear, you progress in veteran ranks by playing any end game content including pvp, dungeons, adventure zones and 50+ and ++ content

50+ and 50++ content is basically the entire levelling content for the other 2 factions but scaled to be difficult for a level 50 (rewards scale too), so solo progression should be pretty much covered

Originally posted by deakon

So then all that left is, why do you not want anyone who has more free time/solo time then you who raids and progresses solo end game, to be able to slowly progress further in end game?   Or why does it bother you that someone who is a single player type gamer would want to spend their entire gameplay being solo and just using other social features to be social other then raiding 12+ person.

I think of it as a loyalty bonus that will keep/retain these players who run out of things to do end game, the more time you can keep a player in your game at end game, the better chances of them never leaving to a game they play to fill in thier non progression time, and I seen this happen alot ot players who get bored, just end up in another game all together because they dont want to pay a sub for only 2-5 hours a week progression time,  so why not reward them a little bit more with endless non-mob grinding  solo end game challenging progression to keep them playing your game?

If its end game progression your worried about then you shouldn't tbh

From what I understand gear is gated by veteran ranks rather than content type, the higher the veteran rank the better the "tier" of gear, you progress in veteran ranks by playing any end game content including pvp, dungeons, adventure zones and 50+ and ++ content

50+ and 50++ content is basically the entire levelling content for the other 2 factions but scaled to be difficult for a level 50 (rewards scale too), so solo progression should be pretty much covered

Well thats really good to hear if thats the case, then solo players will have endless amounts to do in this game.

That would mean that the devs thought of this already so thumbs up to them if they did.

• truce12truce12 Member Posts: 26

If you want solo raiding why not try regular single player rpgs,the MM in mmorpg stands for massive multiplayer.I just don't understand why anyone would play an mmo as an rpg.

• BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

I think I understand where you are coming from. You basically want some solo content that will effect raiding in some way shape or form.

Sorry, but more than likely the closest you will get will be dungeons and normal/legendary questing. If it ever did show up it would be in more of an "Action oriented" mmo rather than something like WoW (not that I hate WoW, but it really wouldn't work too well).

Another thing. If something like this did happen I think most raiding guilds would "Require" you to do these for the gear before you can even participate, thus making the content pointless in the long run....As you would already be done with them.

Originally posted by truce12

If you want solo raiding why not try regular single player rpgs,the MM in mmorpg stands for massive multiplayer.I just don't understand why anyone would play an mmo as an rpg.

This time around its a TES  MMORPG, so yes you will have single player rpg fans coming to this game by the millions,  we should atleast consider this aspect of the game.   Like they added first person view for this game, adding solo raiding would be nice for all the single players coming to the game and mmo solo/group players who have waited a long time to have this.

Skyrim TES single players = 20 million copies sold should be reason enough.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

And I don't understand why people think you need to raid with 20 other people to be social.  Really, combat isn't the only social aspect of an MMO.  This is just forcing your own ideals on other people.

• CalypsxCalypsx Member Posts: 38

Originally posted by Calypsx I personally want to be able to do every dungeon with just my boyfriend and I, or one other friend. I've wanted a multiplayer elder scrolls game for a long time but having more than 4 people on a team really stresses me out sometimes in other MMORPG's. A party of 4 is my personal favorite at its maximum. The huge raid thing has never appealed to me.   A co-op 2 player dungeon feature would be ideal for me.

instanced ones are 4 man but i am sure you can 3 man them if you are a tad bit higher or well geared.

That's perfect! Thanks, I'm perfectly okay with 4 man, I just didn't want to repeat another 8 man dungeon thing like FFXIV. I like the smaller close-knit groups. Far less stressful and less chances of people arguing and such. Plus it's easier to make a group just with friends that way.

I find it more exciting and heroic when things get done with a smaller group, makes me feel less detached with my character as they play a bigger role when there isn't another who is also doing your job.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    *shrugs* The idea sounds legit to me. Sure, have the 25/40 man raids, but something long, deep, and challenging for a soloist would be some good alternative fun to be had. Not only that, but it would also sharpen your skills as a player.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • quixadhalquixadhal Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Dagon13

And I don't understand why people think you need to raid with 20 other people to be social.  Really, combat isn't the only social aspect of an MMO.  This is just forcing your own ideals on other people.

Actually, in most MMO's to date, it is.

There have been a few that features group crafting, but most of them dropped the idea because not enough people were willing to do it.  As for chatting... there are plenty of chat systems out there you can run right alongside your single player RPG, and many of them even have overlays so you don't need to switch out of your game to chat with friends or others playing the same game.

However, your argument is irrelevant, because if you don't care about combat then you also don't care about "solo raiding"... since the ONLY reason to raid (in current MMO's) is to run along the gear treadmill to gain access to higher content.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Actually there is enough solo content in this game that gives the same rewards as group contents

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by arieste

Raid = content designed for more than 1 group of players.

Solo raiding would be like... you and 10 NPC companions?    might be interesting.  idk.

Sounds like throwing yourself a surprise party but nobody else is invited!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by arieste

I'm refering to the difficulty level rather then number of players in raiding.   Like a one person Titan Extreme mode, or as challenging as raiding is in other games,  but lasts for 1-2 hours each solo raid.

The problem is that difficulty in large part comes FROM the number of players.  Group play requires organization, communication and coordination.  The less people there are to organize, coordinate and communicate, the easier those things become to do.

That's not to say that you can't make challenging content for 1-2 people, you can.  But then you'll be able to make that even MORE challenging by making it for 5 people or 10 or 20, which would bring us right back to whether we are now.

EQ2 did this.  They made 3 super-hard 2-person dungeons that yielded rewards equivalent to raid rewards.  I'll tell you this, i'm in a Top 25 raid guild worldwide in EQ2.  We have less than 10 people total that have done those zones.  They were f***ing hard.   I'm pretty sure next to no one among "soloers" has done them.  

p.s. on a related note, time (1-2 hours) isn't what makes an encounter challenging.  

p.s.#2   Most games have 1-2 hour solo activities that result in goo rewards.  They're called quests and/or solo dungeons.

Exactly.  Like juggling a single ball (ball = 1 raid player).  It is trivial.  It comes down to simple math.

He does want the same gear.  Look at how he wrote it not "comparable gear" but earning less to buy the item.  That means the same item.

If the 12 man gear item is:  Helm 500 armor, +100 str, +100 con, a lesser item would have less of all of these stats.  The question is how little would he demand?  499 armor?  How about 300 armor?

We all know what this is about.  That is getting that gear.  Not having to deal with others to get it or share "his" drops with those other people. You should be able to buy in the cash shop and call it a convenience purchase for not having to work with others and get it now.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Talemire
    *shrugs* The idea sounds legit to me. Sure, have the 25/40 man raids, but something long, deep, and challenging for a soloist would be some good alternative fun to be had. Not only that, but it would also sharpen your skills as a player.

How about 1000 quests to upgrade a single item?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Most games should have Solo Raiding.   When content runs dry and you sit in cities for hours on end doing nothing towards end game progression until the next raid, it really sucks.   We should have some form of raid for single/solo players that take 1-2 hours to complete and give a reward like a Legendary Upgrade crafting item or something comparable towards end game progression.   What do you all think?   Should there be solo raiding?

Just to clarify:

I'm refering to the difficulty level rather then number of players in raiding.   Like a one person Titan Extreme mode, or as challenging as raiding is in other games,  but lasts for 1-2 hours each solo raid.

and

Not a reward comparable to a 12 man raid,  but a partial reward towards a 12 man raid item drop.   Like 1 legendary upgrade crafting item, or a 1/10th currency towards 1 piece of gear from a 12 man raid. 

Some people cant see past the end of their noses.

If you had this system then "whats the point"?
    You go to these solo raids to get shinies for what?, To stand in cities and look cool?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• HabitualFrogStompHabitualFrogStomp Member UncommonPosts: 370

The whole argument seems to be "I dont wanna sit around and wait".

Instant gratification in other words. You want a constant stream of awesome and stimulation coming directly from your computer to your brain, without this, you get bored.

You want porn, not MMO's.

MMO's should, if anything, go slower. There should be downtimes where hardly anything is happening. MMO's are not movies, they are a world or life simulator to a degree. The heroes in movies need downtime to watch porn too, we just cant see it.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Nitth  

Originally posted by Knotwood Most games should have Solo Raiding.   When content runs dry and you sit in cities for hours on end doing nothing towards end game progression until the next raid, it really sucks.   We should have some form of raid for single/solo players that take 1-2 hours to complete and give a reward like a Legendary Upgrade crafting item or something comparable towards end game progression.   What do you all think?   Should there be solo raiding? Just to clarify: I'm refering to the difficulty level rather then number of players in raiding.   Like a one person Titan Extreme mode, or as challenging as raiding is in other games,  but lasts for 1-2 hours each solo raid. and Not a reward comparable to a 12 man raid,  but a partial reward towards a 12 man raid item drop.   Like 1 legendary upgrade crafting item, or a 1/10th currency towards 1 piece of gear from a 12 man raid.
    Some people cant see past the end of their noses. If you had this system then "whats the point"? You go to these solo raids to get shinies for what?, To stand in cities and look cool?
    What's the point of doing it in a group? To go stand in cities and look cool? Why does being in a group and doing it "social" justify the activity? Why is progression the purview of groups only? That doesn't seem logical to me at all.

Because these "Raid level" items are used as a power leverage to get through and push team based content.

Whats a solo player that farms a solo raid @ 1/12 item efficiency per week going to use them for? killing pigs on maggies farm?

If they started to make solo raid progression i think you should really start evaluating why you are playing mmorpgs especially considering usually you are farming a lackluster interior level for $15 a month.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Talemire

How about 1000 quests to upgrade a single item?

You miss the point, the purpose of solo raiding would be having instances that are hard as raiding and can be considered FUN, done when your friends and guildies are not on, when your facing over a week of no raiding or events.  

Not grinding quests or mobs like AA point system, but to have something challenging to do while your playing solo end game.  I dont simply understand this,  its why so many people quite games in the first place.   They sit around towns with nothing to do each week but raid 5 hours a week,  then have nothing to do to progress any further, so they quit.

I'm sure your friends, your raid buddies, everyone has been at this point in a game when content runs out, then they quit, its actually antisocial not to have something like this in game because people who cannot progress during down time tend not to do anything at all.   If you want to keep your friends in game, and raid buddies, this type of system/content would help do that.

So what if your friend or raid buddy got one extra piece of gear then you for spending 40+ hours a week for a couple weeks in Solo Raids while you were off doing other things in real life?