Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Game is Awesome

simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

I wasn't paying much attention when it released, but from what I've seen, it looks like it got pretty miserable reviews. Well, a lot has changed, and I must say that I've spent way too much time playing this game which is a good sign for the game and an awful sign for my social life. I went in with low expectations and was pretty underwhelmed at first, but the game turned into something that I love playing. It's free to play, so I highly recommend checking it out for yourself. 

The most annoying thing about the game is the severe lack of stash space. The ONLY way to get more stash tabs is to spend $5 bucks per tab which I feel is more than reasonable. Also, when it comes to unlocking more heroes, there is a currency called Eternity Splinters that you can use to purchase a random hero or purchase the hero you want for a higher amount. The random unlock costs 175, and the heroes themselves range from 200-600. To give you an idea of the rate of acquisition for these items, I've purchased 4 random heroes in two weeks along with a few other things for smaller amounts. 

When it comes to gameplay, there are multiple things to do. You can run Cow Level, go through the story on three difficulty settings, do an endless mob wave type event called X-Defense, there's PVP, Legendary quests that take you all over the place, and end-game instances called Terminals. Supposedly there's also a raid type event on the way. Pretty much all of the events can be done in a group and all of them minus the Terminals automatically group you up unless you form a group of your own. Also, you can pretty much do whatever you like at a very early level. 

If you do decide to check it out, here are some helpful tips:

1. When you pick a starting character you are locked in until you obtain more characters via the item shop or in-game currency

2. Respecs (Retcons) are pretty rare, so think about where you're spending your points

3. X-Defense is a complete clusterf**k, but it's a good way to get loot and levels

4. Mobs called Doops are loot pinatas so don't ignore them

5. Level up your crafter and enchanter by donating items to them as opposed to vendoring items. You unlock more/important recipes by leveling them 

6. Don't pick Black Panther or Black Widow as your starting character. They suck right now, and are in the process of being reworked

If you have any questions/help or would like someone to play with, my name in-game is Draejan.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    The random unlock costs 175, and the heroes themselves range from 200-600. To give you an idea of the rate of acquisition for these items, I've purchased 4 random heroes in two weeks along with a few other things for smaller amounts. 

That seems to be quite fast. I only have purchased ONE additional random hero, mostly from the splinter from the first campaign.

Did you get your first toon to 60 already? My highest one is only 34 or so, and I am still 40+ splinter short for the next unlock (i have two toons on this account .... one starting, one unlock).

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      terrible game imo .. just far to easy with absolutley no challenge at all .. pretty bad when you can corral 30-40 elites spam one skill and kill them all in under 10 seconds .. worthless game imo ..if you want to be challenged.
  • gonewildgonewild Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    The random unlock costs 175, and the heroes themselves range from 200-600. To give you an idea of the rate of acquisition for these items, I've purchased 4 random heroes in two weeks along with a few other things for smaller amounts. 

That seems to be quite fast. I only have purchased ONE additional random hero, mostly from the splinter from the first campaign.

Did you get your first toon to 60 already? My highest one is only 34 or so, and I am still 40+ splinter short for the next unlock (i have two toons on this account .... one starting, one unlock).

Good luck finding those costumes that never drop

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I'm in agreement with Scorchien, but I have not revisited it since launch.  I'm still not quite convinced it's worth another look.  Any other satisfied customers??

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

It's extremely fun and my favorite ARPG since D2.  Unlocking heroes is a great motivator for me personally.  The legendary items and runewords are fun goals as well.  I don't care how other people feel about this game, I find it fun and rewarding.

If you want a massively challenging ARPG then POE is the only one to go to.  D2 wasn't particularly challenging and so I don't see POE as the perfect successor.  POE has horrendous combat and art and improves way too slowly.  I gave up on POE for good last fall.

D3 is basically becoming a 4 man ARPG that is a slap in the face of D2:LOD lvoers.

Torchlight 2 is a shallow joke in every way.

Lineage Eternal looks more and more like vaporware.

Originally posted by SomeHuman
    I'm in agreement with Scorchien, but I have not revisited it since launch.  I'm still not quite convinced it's worth another look.  Any other satisfied customers??

I am a satisfied customer. It is not as polished as D3, but it does make up with marvel characters.

And Scorchien is wrong about the level of challenge. He probably never does anything but green terminals. Here is how the level of challenge goes down ...

- the first campaign .. easy .. no doubt about that .. think of it as D3 first difficulty .. more or less to get your familiar with the game.

- After first campaign, you have "difficulty options" .. basically there are tiers of difficulty for the dungeons .. if you go high difficulty (say red terminal tier 2 ... note that some dungeons are more difficult than others), it can kill you in seconds if you are not geared, or not careful.

- Boss fights will also get more difficult, and zerg will no longer works at higher difficulty.

So when i play this game, i think D3 .. where you can always choose a higher difficulty if the current one is too easy.

• Xaaz23Xaaz23 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by SomeHuman

I am a satisfied customer. It is not as polished as D3, but it does make up with marvel characters.

And Scorchien is wrong about the level of challenge. He probably never does anything but green terminals. Here is how the level of challenge goes down ...

- the first campaign .. easy .. no doubt about that .. think of it as D3 first difficulty .. more or less to get your familiar with the game.

- After first campaign, you have "difficulty options" .. basically there are tiers of difficulty for the dungeons .. if you go high difficulty (say red terminal tier 2 ... note that some dungeons are more difficult than others), it can kill you in seconds if you are not geared, or not careful.

- Boss fights will also get more difficult, and zerg will no longer works at higher difficulty.

So when i play this game, i think D3 .. where you can always choose a higher difficulty if the current one is too easy.

Are you serious? Coming from someone who has 12+ level 60's and all characters unlocked, this game is as simple as it gets. Green terminals are a joke, red are slightly harder but still a joke. Cosmic terminals are soloable on all my 60's. X-defense is the mode that you will die. The scaling of the mobs ramps up fast but it's meant to have you die.

The loot in the game has gone from extremely fun and awesome to almost non-existant. The constant nerfs to everything in the game made me walk away. The game is going back to the dung pile that it was when it released.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Glad you enjoy it. Someone has to. For me, I think the game is utter crap. It's like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, but without any of the destructible environments, game play, or fun. It's an amazing step backwards from 2005.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• OverkillOverkill Member UncommonPosts: 29

I didnt enjoy the game when it first came out, and it wasnt able to keep my attention when i tried it six months ago. I tried it again about 3 weeks ago and have become very engrossed in it. I have 8 characters now, 4 of whom were free, 4 of whom I purchased.

So ya im having a good time, they are constantly releasing new characters and they put out new content at a decent pace it seems. You can play the whole game for the very low price of free so I would recommend giving it a try. The only down part is its a slow download and sometimes it can take a minute for the game to load up when you start it.

Originally posted by Xaaz23

Are you serious? Coming from someone who has 12+ level 60's and all characters unlocked,

Yes, i am serious. Your problem is that "12+ level 60's and all characters unlocked".

Just enjoy the difficulty in leveling and quite before you have 12+ level 60 characters. Problem solved.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

my main isue with this game is, it was supppposed to be a AAA title but i know facebook games that look and play better, or at least i used to back when i played face book games.

that aside it was just boring the old game party based games that this thing was based off looked and played better, i just dont understand how a newer version looks and play worse.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

Still playing and still loving it. For those of you who say the game is too easy - I'm fine with not being challenged when I'm playing a video game. I'm perfectly fine with making a character who can totally trivialize content. If I want to be challenged, I'll go do something that's actually challenging; not play a video game. 

To each their own. Hope you guys find a game you enjoy as much as I enjoy this one. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Xaaz23

Are you serious? Coming from someone who has 12+ level 60's and all characters unlocked,

Yes, i am serious. Your problem is that "12+ level 60's and all characters unlocked".

Just enjoy the difficulty in leveling and quite before you have 12+ level 60 characters. Problem solved.

Xaaz is full of crap.  If they feel the way they claim to toward the game, then they wouldn't have 12+ level 60's.

That said, Marvel Heroes is a mess.  I'm tired of the freezes every 5 seconds or so.  The gameplay has its own issues, but I'm tired of the screen locking up on a regular basis.  I've followed up on all the forum suggestions.  No dice.  My system is far from old and my vid card runs anything else flawlessly.

• Bluefear77Bluefear77 Member UncommonPosts: 112

If you use the game's available video settings on max the game doesn't look very good. You have to go into your graphic card's control panel (ex. Catalyst Control Center) and increase the graphics. I think it really makes a difference and the game looks very nice once you have made these adjustments.

I'm calling bs to some of the replies in this thread. The game is not too easy. There continues to be added difficulty settings, like they recently added cosmic terminals, and these settings are so difficult I don't even bother because I haven't properly equipped any level 60's for end game-- I would rather level other characters.

Really you should try this game for yourself. It is free to play so you have nothing to lose. I'm really appreciative of this game because I've played it more than anything else in 2013 (500+ hours). It has bridged the gap for some games releasing soon.

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

More power to the OP. Wife and I tried this and got bored rather quickly. It's a typical hack and slash game which is done ok, nothing really special in my eyes, and would have been better served as a single player with a multiplayer add-on (see Diablo)....not an MMO.

I found very little in the way of replayability or anything that made me feel like I can't wait to log on and play. Also, seeing like 5 hulks and 10 wolverines running around was a bit much to take.

Originally posted by kellian1

More power to the OP. Wife and I tried this and got bored rather quickly. It's a typical hack and slash game which is done ok, nothing really special in my eyes, and would have been better served as a single player with a multiplayer add-on (see Diablo)....not an MMO.

I found very little in the way of replayability or anything that made me feel like I can't wait to log on and play. Also, seeing like 5 hulks and 10 wolverines running around was a bit much to take.

That's pretty much what the game is. It's a co-op APRG. It's not an MMO, and I think they screwed up trying to call it one. 

Originally posted by Robsolf

That said, Marvel Heroes is a mess.  I'm tired of the freezes every 5 seconds or so.  The gameplay has its own issues, but I'm tired of the screen locking up on a regular basis.  I've followed up on all the forum suggestions.  No dice.  My system is far from old and my vid card runs anything else flawlessly.

I found that it is an issue with the power of my machine. MH obviously did not optimize as well as games like D3 (which looks much better, with much smoother animation, on the same machine).

I just recently got a new gaming laptop (with 2 SLI nvidia 750M mobile cards) and there is no issue of freezing or slowdown in MH, even in mid-town.

Originally posted by kellian1

That's pretty much what the game is. It's a co-op APRG. It's not an MMO, and I think they screwed up trying to call it one. 

Does it matter what it is called? The devs didn't hide its diablo heritage. So what if it is not a MMO .. the important question is whether it is a good (to me) game.

I think it is a decent ARPG that can use some more polish .. but it does have one unique thing going for it .. marvel heroes. I can't play Cap American in a ARPG except this (if you don't count ancient games like MUA).

Originally posted by Robsolf

I found that it is an issue with the power of my machine. MH obviously did not optimize as well as games like D3 (which looks much better, with much smoother animation, on the same machine).

I just recently got a new gaming laptop (with 2 SLI nvidia 750M mobile cards) and there is no issue of freezing or slowdown in MH, even in mid-town.

After a couple of hours of something like X-Defense or Midtown, I have to close the game and restart it if I want to continue playing. It's not well optimized. I think it's pretty good looking on the highest settings aside from some of the animations though. 

The group content in general is just a mess IMO. It's fun, but the screen is way way too busy if you don't turn off other player's particle effects. Sometimes I actually lose my mouse cursor in the mess. I'm curious to see how "raids" are going to work. I really hope they focus on objectives rather than zerging down huge packs of enemies. 

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Pyuk
    Glad you enjoy it. Someone has to. For me, I think the game is utter crap. It's like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, but without any of the destructible environments, game play, or fun. It's an amazing step backwards from 2005.

I couldn't agree more.  The graphics are worse than MUA and MUA2... and it's SO much fun seeing a million Deadpools and Spider-mans and Wolverines.

But, to the OP, if you enjoy it- play the hell out of it!  I'd get into if, say, Misty Knight was ever released as a playable character. 

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

After a couple of hours of something like X-Defense or Midtown, I have to close the game and restart it if I want to continue playing. It's not well optimized. I think it's pretty good looking on the highest settings aside from some of the animations though. 

The group content in general is just a mess IMO. It's fun, but the screen is way way too busy if you don't turn off other player's particle effects. Sometimes I actually lose my mouse cursor in the mess. I'm curious to see how "raids" are going to work. I really hope they focus on objectives rather than zerging down huge packs of enemies. 

To be honest, i don't think the graphics/animation is that well done. They are not "bad" but never have the polish, or the cool-factor as D3, or even Van Helsing. I am running all these games on the highest settings.

And the optimization is atrocious.

I don't think something like Diablo is suitable for 20 players beating down on a raid boss, and it shows. A player simply lose control over the mess. They should have kept it an online ARPG with small groups.

Originally posted by FoxBoogs

I couldn't agree more.  The graphics are worse than MUA and MUA2... and it's SO much fun seeing a million Deadpools and Spider-mans and Wolverines.

But, to the OP, if you enjoy it- play the hell out of it!  I'd get into if, say, Misty Knight was ever released as a playable character. 

well, there is NO MUA3 .. otherwise i would be playing that. But if you want a new MUA, this is it. I think animation, and the atmosphere is done better in MUA, but the actual models are not better.

I don't mind the millions of spiderman as much .. but it would be better if it is in a lobby with player names than having seen them running around.

I look at this as MUA3 with potentially more characters to play, and more content to play through. I wish it is a bit more polish, even not to the level of D3, to the level of Van Helsing.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    it's not really my favorite kind of genre but i got some enjoyment out of it.. what i really liked about it was that there are so many heroes to choose from.. most game only have like 6-8 or less wich tend to get really boring.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• SuperGroverSuperGrover Member UncommonPosts: 31

I really enjoy MH. If you have not tried it lately I would recommend giving it a second look.  I have never played a game that gets more regular  updates than M.H. The game is nothing like launch and the Devs do a great job listening to the player base. That being said,  itemization needs to be improved and the game engine could use more tuning.

If your looking to level fast: run X-D from 1-20, Legendary Quests from 20 on. LQ give you Oden Marks which are used to buy high level ultimate weapons at level cap.

I don't think something like Diablo is suitable for 20 players beating down on a raid boss, and it shows. A player simply lose control over the mess. They should have kept it an online ARPG with small groups.

I agree wholeheartedly. I think the two genres (MMORG's and ARPGS) are at complete odds with one another on a number of levels. I don't think MH should be going that route, but what do I know? Still though, I love the Marvel universe, and I don't think I'll ever tire of playing my favorite heroes and smashing huge piles of enemies and objects into pieces. 

Also, where the hell is Dr. Strange? The ONE hero I really want to play isn't playable. The universe conspires against me.