Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Latest WS Wednesday Reveals New UI

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Responding to player feedback from the current closed beta for WildStar, developers have revealed a brand new user interface for the game via the WildStar Wednesday series. The post details the reasons behind the change including the improved display and an improved combat experience. Lastly, the UI will be customizable, allowing players to turn components on and off according to their specific aesthetic tastes.

I know some of you are pretty observant and probably noticed some new things were also added! When this visual style became something we knew we liked, we took a look at the thin bar in the XP area, and realized there were other pieces of information that weren’t super important, but could elegantly improve the experience without occupying more space. A few quick examples:

• A clock is a suggestion we’ve seen tons of times on the forums (it's been in such high demand, at one point a tester built a simple addon whose sole purpose was to tell you the time!).

• Path progression is something we felt needed to be emphasized little better than burying it in a menu. We plan to eventually allow you to change the path XP bar into a reputation or tradeskill progression bar so players have more power over what they'd like to track.

Read more on the WildStar site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• pl3dgepl3dge Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Great News. Love the game, hated the UI.

• HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234
    It's good to see that they are listening to feedback on the game and making changes.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    The new UI looks MUCH better!
  • MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152
    The UI was the only complaint I had about Wildstar.  Glad to see them tinkering with it! Great game- got my key from the contest!  Thank you guys!

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

A bit less cluttered, hope they provide options for both though, no point just throwing out the old one.

With addons and the already customisable layout you'll be able to customise it however you want anyway.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Must be getting desperate for WS Wednesday subject matter.  It does look much better though. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • MidBossMidBoss Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by achesoma
    Must be getting desperate for WS Wednesday subject matter.  It does look much better though. 

Sounds like it was a pretty big complaint, makes sense they'd dedicate a full on news post to it.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    The new UI is worlds better then the old UI. No more 25% of your viewing area wasted because everything was centered and layed on top of each other.
  • LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I didn't enjoy the game in beta but this is definitely a HUGE improvement over the other UI which was atrocious. 
  • AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

The Devs are indeed listening.

Liking the new UI!

Are the quest log boxes the same or changed now I wonder?

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

That last UI was an abomination. Just about anything would have been better.

This is MUCH nicer.

• RedCurryRedCurry Member UncommonPosts: 70
    new UI looks really good
  • ReignsonReignson Member UncommonPosts: 21

The layout looks greatly improved, but I prefer the old art style over this new boring teal-green, sold colored thing.    90% of all sci-fi game GUI's ever made have used a blue-green colored scheme.  Please add more color or something to the art, because this ruins the unique aesthetic that wildstar has going for it.   

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Mhm I would have to agree that this is MUCH better. More sleak and cleaner by the looks of it!
  • Kalza_BaneKalza_Bane Member Posts: 26
    This is a joke right?  It's almost identical to WoW's UI now.  Thank goodness for addons, I guess.
  • LongLivePvPLongLivePvP Member Posts: 102
    Cool, now take away the red/green telegraphs on the ground and maybe just maybe I'd be a day1 purchaser.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars & ArcheAge(Alpha)
    Backed: Shards Online, Camelot Unchained
    Loved: Vanilla WoW,UO,Shadowbane,EQ,DAoC,Asheron's Call(Darktide)

• joeballinjoeballin Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by LongLivePvP
    Cool, now take away the red/green telegraphs on the ground and maybe just maybe I'd be a day1 purchaser.

You can turn them off yourself in the settings.  The new UI looks like a huge improvement.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    games looking better in my eyes again hope it's there this weekend :P

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    The layout of the new UI is a much improvement, but I do agree that they should have kept the old color to stick with there art style.
  • KruzilKruzil Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Ok, this just sold me.  Where can I pre-order?
  • GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    It's just so beautiful.
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • KavaedKavaed Member Posts: 8

Thank god, the old UI felt claustrophobic (silly, i know) along with the watermark it just felt very uncomfortable to play. Though I hope they do somthing about the size of the text aswell.

Originally posted by Kalza_Bane
    This is a joke right?  It's almost identical to WoW's UI now.  Thank goodness for addons, I guess.

[mod edit] it looks nothing like the default WoW UI.  WoW puts the character health bar and picture in the top left hand corner, along with the target.  In fact the only thing the same is that you have skills flush against the bottom of the screen now clearing up the HUD for other info.  If anything its closer to SWTOR.

Mods for WoW, Vanguard and EQ2 (and probably many more) have had this HUD design for a while now but you certainly cannot credit the developers for it as they are not the default design.

Originally posted by LongLivePvP

Turn off the friendly fire telegraphs and it looks like any other game, including ESO.  I don't even know why anyone bothers playing with them on since once you have used a skill once or twice it is super easy to aim and judge distance.  Ruins the amazing combat animations IMO.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

this new UI is way better than the previous one.

WIth that said, It is not about them changing the UI, It is about them allowing us to change the UI and move it around.