Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes a WoW clone?

124»

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    There are no WoW clones.  Everyone forgets WoW became popular because they let the public mod their UI.  No other game has done that with legal blessings.

huh?

AC?

Again like somebody said,

nothing in WoW is original. it all came from somewhere. even the IP itself. It put those right pieces together in the right way. and polished it. Thats why it was a hit.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• wildarms2wildarms2 Member UncommonPosts: 80

wow  was a clone of eq1  short and sweet  

they still are copying ideas from soe  every chance  they get . so why say  how wow changed  the genre 

eq2  has a panda race  4 years later wow has a panda  race   and theres alot more 

eq1 had mounts   6 years later wow  has mounts  

so wow just a clone of another game  already  nothing new on  the genre  

and people say there cloneing wow  well no there cloneing eq1   and  gamers that never played eq1-eq2   say its a wow clone 

moo all

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by cowhunters

they still are copying ideas from soe  every chance  they get . so why say  how wow changed  the genre 

eq2  has a panda race  4 years later wow has a panda  race   and theres alot more 

and people say there cloneing wow  well no there cloneing eq1   and  gamers that never played eq1-eq2   say its a wow clone 

I see the term being used more by people that hate WoW. Not so much by people that are WoW fans.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Ender4

We hear this term all the time and people fight valiantly to defend their game like being called this is the worst thing in the world. To me defining the WoW clone relies on understanding how WoW changed the genre.

1. Quest based leveling. Quests existed before WoW but it was the first major title where you could spend 100% of your time leveling by doing quests.

2. Instanced group content. Again WoW was not the first game to use instancing but it was the first major title (The Realm doesn't count~) that put you almost exclusively in an instance for any group based content.

3. Easy solo mob with specifically designated harder mobs for groups. EQ, DAOC, AC etc all had different difficulty levels for solo mobs but WoW was the first to add the elite style mob for all group based mobs. Other games used that for a few bosses etc but in most games before WoW a mob in a dungeon was the same as one outside. This meant you could tool around in a dungeon solo or in a group of 2 etc. It was also the start of the no respawn style dungeon. What this did was dumb down the solo experience while also restricting dungeons to groups only, this is one of the worst changes in the genre that has really killed the dungeon experience imo.

4. Instanced PvP. Before WoW PvP was part of the open world even if it was in only restricted servers or restricted zones. WoW started pushing it off into its own box where it has no meaning to the greater world anymore.

Later WoW also added extremely linear quests so if you go that path you are a late WoW clone.

So if you have instance based PvP, quest based leveling, dungeon mobs that are harder than a normal mob and solo mobs that are a joke to kill, a fantasy based theme and you push groups into instances you are a WoW clone imo. You can mess with the character progression, the combat etc and that doesn't matter, you are still a clone in my personal book.

Definitely in the right direction. A minor death penalty too.

If WoW was a clone of EQ then there would be a lot less instances, more group content, like no insta travel, a harsh death penalty, classes that actually depend on each other, races actually mattered etc.

Edit: Also there would be no quest markers in WoW and you wouldn't have your hand held from point A to point B ad infinitum. Dungeons would be more complicated.

• D_I_BD_I_B Member Posts: 43

What makes a WoW-clone minded community?

power-leveling

rushing to end game

cookie-cutter gameplay

gear threadmill

no immersion in character progression whatsover - only maxing counts - ESO modifications (those with visible enemy's health and other clutter) seems to prove me that WE - as all the spoiled players - are min/max fellas who want to be endgame instant locust :/

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by Magiknight

If WoW was a clone of EQ then there would be a lot less instances, more group content, like no insta travel, a harsh death penalty, classes that actually depend on each other, races actually mattered etc.

Edit: Also there would be no quest markers in WoW and you wouldn't have your hand held from point A to point B ad infinitum. Dungeons would be more complicated.

Um ... basing a game on another doesnt mean you copy that game 1:1 in all aspects.

Besides, WoW was, as everybody I met who played it at release assured me, quite difficult in the beginning.

Originally posted by Adamantine

Um ... basing a game on another doesnt mean you copy that game 1:1 in all aspects.

Besides, WoW was, as everybody I met who played it at release assured me, quite difficult in the beginning.

When it was first released I went from level 1-40 in like a week.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

You measure difficulty by how fast you reach the level cap? Things are worse than I thought...

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

You measure difficulty by how fast you reach the level cap? Things are worse than I thought...

Absolutely. If I can run around and kill everything in sight non stop for 40 levels it's easy

Absolutely. If I can run around and kill everything in sight non stop for 40 levels it's easy

How does doing the same for months make it any harder?

Time is irrelevant.

Time is irrelevant.

Maybe it's not the same for months. You would have to do other things. Maybe a quest took you days to do (and you didn't get exp for it). Or maybe your party you are leveling with takes some tweaking to make it better. So you tell one of your damage dealers that maybe he should be using this skill more or less and see how that affects the party. Maybe you want to try a really dangerous area that you think will pay off. Maybe you pay dearly for trying this (if there is a harsh death penalty).

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

Judging from the people using and abusing the term the following makes a WOW clone :-

1) Being a mmorpg

2) Being a computer game

That pretty much seems to be what makes a wow clone.

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

WoW makes the best WoW clone.

If I want to play WoW then I just go back and play Wow.

If i'm playing another MMo then why would I want it to play a game that is just like the one I just finished playing (WoW)?????

Originally posted by bbethel

WoW makes the best WoW clone.

If I want to play WoW then I just go back and play Wow.

If i'm playing another MMo then why would I want it to play a game that is just like the one I just finished playing (WoW)?????

That's what I ask myself every time I buy a new MMO.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    wow is pretty much a clone in it self.. they take what other games have done successfully and copy it.. only reason folks use the term wow clone is because it's the most famous of the mmo's out there. in reality you'd be a fool not to imitate good aspects of games if you're not good enough to completely invent something new.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

Time is irrelevant.

Maybe it's not the same for months. You would have to do other things. Maybe a quest took you days to do (and you didn't get exp for it). Or maybe your party you are leveling with takes some tweaking to make it better. So you tell one of your damage dealers that maybe he should be using this skill more or less and see how that affects the party. Maybe you want to try a really dangerous area that you think will pay off. Maybe you pay dearly for trying this (if there is a harsh death penalty).

Suddenly the time spent reaching the level cap is not enough to tell if the game is difficult or not. Maybe next time you should finish your thought before posting.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Anything that is a knock-off, rip-off, imitation, or copy of most or all of the original.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Since themepark MMOs at their core are about combat, the first and most important aspect for it to be a clone would require that it has tab target, non action combat (usually able to be macro'ed into damage priority).  Aside from a few AEs (point blank and targeted), it shouldn't have any hit detection for skills. .

Neither ESO nor Wildstar are clones, and if one is, then both are. Both have action combat and limited hotbars / build creation, which separate them from WoW significantly in how they play.  Other than that they have standard themepark MMO features.

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I see the term being used more by people that hate WoW. Not so much by people that are WoW fans.

Not entirely , i hate what WoW has become, but I do not go around throwing the words "wow clone" at everything.  Mostly i have seen this term used by WoW fanbois who think thier game is the best at everything and it was "innovative" and came first.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Kaladin

If it is an MMORPG being released after WoW launched, it will be called a WoW clone.

In reality, NONE of them are.

My sentiments as well. For instance TOR has been called a clone and I know better having played both.  WOW has more open worlds and better AI while TOR's crafting system, companion system, questing system,and leveling experience are completely different. In WOW I have no choice in how I answer a quest giver nor do I even get a chance to hear my character speak. Immersion is constantly broken every time I have to wait with other players for a boss to respawn where in TOR that rarely happens due to the use of phasing. They are both themepark games but TOR is no more a clone of WOW than Miley Cyrus is a clone of Madonna. 

Ps: I can't help but notice since I came back to WOW how the questing experience has now changed with the added emphasis on story and cut scenes. Wonder where that idea came from? ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Ps: I can't help but notice since I came back to WOW how the questing experience has now changed with the added emphasis on story and cut scenes. Wonder where that idea came from? ;)

Not from SWTOR at least, they started down this path of cut scenes, story and voice acting in Wrath of the Lich King back in 2008.  SWTOR didn't come out until 2011.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

I would say games like SWTOR with devs that state "we include feature X - because WoW has it" would qualify.

In general I consider games that are *TOO* mainstreamed, to such extremes that it disrupts gameplay and makes the game too trivial, WoW-ized or, if it was this way from the start and is conceptional, it makes the game a WoW clone. Examples include:

- Extreme instancing, making fights for ressources unknown, but also removing the sense of living in a world with thousands of other players.

- Enforced raiding at endgame as basically the exclusive form of endgame content

- Low quality drops of new expansions are superior to the best raid gear available before

- Ever raised maxlevel that is reachable at very high speeds and old content simply gets outdated

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

To me, the defining feature of WoW was its quest hub based leveling system. It probably wasn't the first game to do it, but it streamlined it into an art form. For me, three things make a WoW clone:

1. Quest hub based leveling (primarily solo).

2. Gear grind focused gameplay.

3. Tab-targeted, GCD-focused combat.

I guess you could also throw in an honorable mention of 'The Interface.' You know what I mean: chat box in one corner, minimap in another corner, and a cluster of actionbars on the bottom of your screen.

<3