Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Things I DON'T want to see in my next MMORPG.

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Dealbreakers: These are intolerable.

- Not subscription based. Ideally I want no free to play at all. Okay, or ACTUAL free to play without any shop either. But if there is, there needs to be a subscription option that allows you to play the game without any additional payment, and subscription players shouldnt be in the disadvantage in their progress either.

- No third person perspective. There is absolutely nothing natural about first person perspective. You arent only seeing 40 degree in front of you. You see 180 degree. As long as monitors arent that wide, first person is not a valid option for gameplay.

- Items permanently decay / Full Looting / any other indication that items arent something you have to work for, or any form of treadmill gaming (working hard to stay in the same place, instead of working on making progress).

Huge turnoffs:

- Enforced realm vs realm PvP. I want to be able to play a number of characters, choose their race freely, and I dont want to be forced to attack other players just because of their race.

- Skillbased system. Those are in reality always unbalanced and low on variance.

- Lack of level. Such systems tend even more to be shallow and lacking variance.

- Enforced soulbound items. Proof that the game developers dont have the first clue about economy and have to wildly fiddle around with it.

- Instancing.

- Not seamless, loading screens, delays in the gameplay - modern technology allows to make games work completely seamless, and it does so since over a decade. There is no good reason to not implement it, except "we're lazy".

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Five things I don't want to see:

• F2P or B2P or any game with a heavy emphasis on the cash shop. This perpetuates greed and half-assed content rather than actual work and development.                                                           
    • No leveling or gear stat upgrades. It makes the game stale and boring rather quickly. Also, games without the holy trinity. It's been tried, and it just ends up stacking 4 or 5 people of the same classes rather than increasing enjoyment. There is also an absence of strategy in non trinity games.

• Games that have no planned expansions or plans to make an expansion. This is the bread and butter of MMO's, and the trend has seemed to be going towards small piecemeal updates with more modern games, which is a huge turn off for me personally.

• Instanced PvP/ Arenas. Any game that focuses on this as a main form of PvP is right out for me. If I wanted to play a no strategy deathmatch, I would play Battlefield 4.

• Raid based end game. I'm done with this, I want PvP/RvR based or group/duo/solo gear and content to comparable to raids. Not everyone enjoys getting 20 schmucks together to waste time for hours on end because 3 or 4 people can't or won't pull their weight, there is no reason why one content method should be favored above others.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

1.  Cash shop. 

2.  Fast leveling to cap with an emphasis on solo quest grinding.  Soloing is okay, but it should not be the fastest way to level.

3.  Shallow crafting that feels tacked on. 

4.  Combat restricted to a trinity.  Bring back powerful support classes, buffs/CC/debuffs.

5. Teleporting of any kind outside of a few classes.  I don't mind a long cooldown hearthstone item.  Boats and flightpoints are okay as long as there are very few of them. 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

1. 3rd person view only (I prefer 1st)

2. classes

3. quests

4. floating numbers, chat windows and the like.

5. cartoonish graphis

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• poonczey1poonczey1 Member Posts: 11

1. devs only prefer only one faction/class and only do the bare minimum to maintain the rest.

2. the gameplay's main 'feature' is mindless, repetitive farming bc/ there isn't any other content.

3. the more devs hypeing about their product, which ofc will be the BEST thing after the big bang, the bigger the fail will be. ( i actually enjoy the fail part but i feel sorry for the people who only wanted to play a good game and been ripped off)

4. asian MPORPG /Massively Pediphile Online Role-Playing Game/

5. people who get into a group and can't even say "hi". i think this usually speaks alot about them.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    sorry to hijack this but what's up with all the hate towards cash shops?  ok if they sell the best gear in the game in their shops i can understand it.. but some just sell vanity items wich have no impact whatsover on the game so why the brutal hate? are you just that cheap that you demand every aspect of a game being free? i mean these things cost money(real money) to create and they still need the cash to be maintained.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    1. Cash shop in a sub based game.
    2. Instancing in all its horrible forms
    3. Pointless crafting due to item drops and quest rewards being better than crafted gear.
    4. Public AH.
    5. Level based advancement.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    1. Player level caps. Make it some if somebody wants, let them Level to 1000+.
    2. Skill level cap. See above.
    3. Non dynamic worlds and content. Static mobs with a level above their heads is lazy design.
    4. Instance for everything. See age of conan.
    5. Pvp for no reason. Give us something tangible to fight for. Resources and such should belong to the victor.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• MoosahMoosah Member UncommonPosts: 12

1. Invisible Walls

2. Hand-Holding

3. Bad Animations

4. Boring Combat

5. Cash Shop

Intel Core i7 4770K 4.4GHz | ASUS Z87 PRO | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Gigabyte Aurus Nvidia Geforce 1080Ti 11GB | Creative Soundblaster Z Sound Card | Samsung 256GB 840Pro SSD | OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD | Antec TruPower Quattro 1200 Watt PSU

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

1. Instances

2. Abuse of Insta Travel

3. Meaningless Death Penalty

4. Making it too Solo Friendly

5. Spamming Buttons During Combat

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    1. Dailies - stop this madness already
    2. Quick travel - should be player dependent 
    3. Small class selection - want lots of classes with multiple play styles and roles
    4. Small weapon selection - please don't lock me to one or two weapons
    5. Small group size - anything smaller than six is too small
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

My top 5:

1. Subscriptions - it is a dead business model that usually gets changed out anyway with a hastelly thrown together cash shop and free to play model. Save us the trouble and go F2P at release.

2. The Trinity - Lots has been said on this subject already. Bottom line is it is too old and been done to death. Looking for a really good action MMO to play. Not GW2.

3. Global Cool downs - All it does is put a cap on player skill and makes the combat boring. If most of the damage comes from auto attack it is even worse. If you can push one or two buttons and the then go afk that is a sign of really bad game design.

4. Warriors - I hate this class to death because it is in every single MMO and is usually overpowered as hell. Just NO. No more Warriors. Facetanking is most uninspired lazy gameplay ever put in an MMO. Kill it now.

5. Clunky controls and general lack of mobility. Game needs to have a good fluid movement and of course jumping.

• MudfinMudfin Member UncommonPosts: 19

1.  Fantasy or Space setting.  Could we try futuristic earth or historical earth, like a western?

2.  Meaningless crafting.  Some of the best gear and a world that needs rebuilding, that's the ticket.

3.  Character levels.  

4.  vertical gear progression as the only means of progression.

5.  No more bread crumb quests and quest hubs

6.  Absence of a death penalty.

Yeah I know, that was six, sue me ;)

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

1. Instanced PvP and PvE
    2. A non seamless world like UO; no more loading between zones.
    3. LFG/LFD
    4. F2P
    5. NO MORE THEMEPARK'S :D

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    1. Vertical progression. I don't want to be shoved down a bread crumb trail to get through your world and never need to return to iconic areas because hell is a level 20 zone and the Devil is 20 levels below me.

2. Quest hubs and generic task labeled and treated as quest. Spread the true quest out. Let them wander, let them seek me out and let me bump into them. Generic task should be procedural, randomized, automated and completable without even talking to the quest giver. If I happen to find so and so's daughter kidnapped and free her have the npc send me a reward and thanks in my mailbox.

3. Lack of sandbox. Even if you're going themepark progression hub design your game with tools and space to allow sandbox elements. SWG invented the term themepark so its not something new. Archeage seems to have done some if it right.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal
    1. Vertical progression. I don't want to be shoved down a bread crumb trail to get through your world and never need to return to iconic areas because hell is a level 20 zone and the Devil is 20 levels below me.

2. Quest hubs and generic task labeled and treated as quest. Spread the true quest out. Let them wander, let them seek me out and let me bump into them. Generic task should be procedural, randomized, automated and completable without even talking to the quest giver. If I happen to find so and so's daughter kidnapped and free her have the npc send me a reward and thanks in my mailbox.

3. Lack of sandbox. Even if you're going themepark progression hub design your game with tools and space to allow sandbox elements. SWG invented the term themepark so its not something new. Archeage seems to have done some if it right.

Agreed Verm..

While I'm drinking coffee here and waiting for a download to finish, I thought I would do some forum surfing..  I really hated the super linear bread crumb game that games like SWTOR and RIFT  wore out to death.. I liked the freedom as I had with EQ to bounce around the globe and jump into a large number of options..  There is no reason to limit the size of the game world other then just being lazy..  I also like to see zones like in EQ where there was reason to revisit previous zones from time to time..

You yell, "Sand Giant to Docks"..  LOL

Sometimes low level toons are just going to get OWNED by roaming mobs that are far stronger then you..

As for the quest hubs.. I hated that idea..  I'm all for NPC interaction throughout the game, but the "kill 10 wolves" is not the answer.. When you have quest hubs, you basically SPLIT your players up into game segments.. Questing is actually ANTI social because they are not repeatable and most players will not waste their time helping someone 6 quest behind, just so they can get on to the same ones... Let alone if you have 10 players in the zone, all of them on different quest..

I have always suggest that instead of having 100 different quest per zone, by 50 different NPCs,,  Have 20 NPC that give our coin, exp and reward for 20 different repeatable bounties..  This gives people the freedom to join up into groups and kill whatever they feel like,  collecting items that can be turned in for rewards..  Maybe I like a certain area of the map, and want to farm it for crafting mats.. I can now have the freedom to do that, since I'm not feeling PUSHED to follow the quest bread crumb trail.. 

I don't mind a little themepark in my sandbox.. or vice versa.. LOL 

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

1. Instant travel

2. Maps zone maps and minimaps

3. Quest based leveling

4. Direction basicly same as quest hubs pretty much telling u were to go

5. A Stale world

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

5) Cash shop selling anything other than server change / sparkly mounts

4) Meaningless peen waving pvp

3) Invisiwalls

2) Quest Hubs

1) Gold sapmmers

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

All triple-A games produced by the publishing houses MUST have aspects that we have seen before.

This is because when developing for the major publishing houses, developers MUST provide evidence that their concepts have achieved past financial success. This is why we have so many WoW clones.

I'm surprised that the penny hasn't dropped yet with this community. You are a very slow lot.

If you want good quality games that have novelty, look at those that involve Kickstarter. 

• ArielyAriely Member Posts: 68

1: class bound gender.

2: limit of 5 skills

these are the most hatefull ones tbh, other things are not so bad

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

All triple-A games produced by the publishing houses MUST have aspects that we have seen before.

This is because when developing for the major publishing houses, developers MUST provide evidence that their concepts have achieved past financial success. This is why we have so many WoW clones.

I'm surprised that the penny hasn't dropped yet with this community. You are a very slow lot.

If you want good quality games that have novelty, look at those that involve Kickstarter. 

Where does it say that these five omissions must be in a AAA title?  The point that you just brought up has been a focal point in many discussions around here for years.  But hey, way to insult the entire community here while also ignoring the question in the title. We bow to your knowledge of the genre. Bravo. 

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

1.  Permadeath or hardcore type gameplay - I don't play MMOS for challenge, at least not that degree of challenge, I play to escape reality and explore another world.

2.  Cash shop ads every few minutes(ahem, EQ2, ahem)

3.  Non-seamless zones.  In other words, I want a seamless world as best can be managed, not little rooms of lands sitting next to each other that make me sit through any length of loading screen to traverse the distance.

4.  Generic sound/music - Cryptic is an example.  Play STO, Neverwinter and Chamions Online and tell me if there is enough difference between the music and sound effects to make them unique from each other.  Yeah, it's not happening.  Oh, and don't settle for modernized midi/keyboard music either to fill the music gap.  Spare no expense, music and sound will immerse me in ways nothing else can and will even pull me back from a hiatus just so I can hear a song or sound again. It's happened already for me with games like WoW, EQ2, Lotro and a few others.

5.  Having items, mounts, content available only on a cash shop.  If this is there, give me the option to sub and subs get the chance to have these items drop in game.  In other words, stop making exclusive loot/content that can't be accessed in game from actual gameplay.  Looking at YOU, BLIZZARD!  And YOU, RIFT!  You too, EQ2!  Don't have a sub and then charge me extra for races, mounts, titles, etc.  That's just greedy.

• RiannesRiannes Member UncommonPosts: 98

- level based progression

- monster/enemy difficulty classified into zone

- fast travel

- meaningless pvp (if possible make it more like RO, L2)

- F2P financial model (if i want to eat quality food, i am ok with paying premium price. given the quality is truly good and price not inflated)(F2P games are junk food atleast to me)

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

1. A focus on graphic fidelity (better graphics seem to = worse gameplay)

2. Dailies. 

3. Auction Houses. Make a real marketplace like EVE online has. It's a true living economy in that game and its beautiful.

4. Instanced PVP/Arenas. Not to say that EVERYWHERE has to be an open free for all PVP area, but organic pvp > instanced bologna.

5. Stop trying to entertain us with YOUR vision of what we should be doing. Give us a world and let us turn it into OUR playground and we will be more than happy to show you what tools we want/need to satisfy ourselves within reason. 

#5 is where CCP gets my appreciation. They don't always do everything the way we want it of course, but they make strong effort. Even so far as to let us elect players to a council that they fly out to Iceland to meet with the devs and discuss the issues we raise to them. They are called the CSM (Council of Stellar Management)  http://community.eveonline.com/community/csm/

I can't think of any other company that has gone so far as to communicate with it's playerbase and make improvements and add features that the players actually want instead of what the devs think the players should have.

#1 Is just a pet peeve of mine really. I understand that people like shiny pretty things and thats all fine and dandy, I love great graphics just as much as that the next bespectacled neck beard, but I think it's time people realize (past time really) that MMOs can not pull off insane graphics AND great gameplay. The technology just is no there, atleast not within a reasonable budget. TSW has some pretty stellar graphics for an MMO, but such incredibly stiff gameplay. TESO looks like it's going to be exactly the same, nice eye candy poor gameplay.

#'s 2,3,4. I know, I know. I should have just said WoW. Dailes are not that big of a deal, but they are annoying to me especially when they make them feel somehow...mandatory.

Instanced PvP/Arenas take away from the virtual world experience and make it feel more like a lobby game while people fly around capital cities bored to tears before they get bored to death in yet another rendition of capture the flag elves vs orcs edition. 

Auction houses. I'm not really against Auction houses I just like to see them implemented better. Actually no I am against auction houses. But I am not against markets. Going back to EVE, it has a real living economy that has real consequences on the players. Who am I kidding everything everyone does in that game has consequences on everyone else in one way or another. Just f****g go play EVE FFS. Don't like spaceships? Get over it because there is nothing out there nor is there anything coming out anytime soon that is or will be on the same level when it comes to creating a virtual world that so closely ties people and their actions to the rest of the game.

TLDR; Play EVE online. Even if you don't like spaceships. 

ps. Darkfall Unholy Wars is awful don't kid yourself.

• FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282

1.   No class stories where the player is the hero. 

No player heroes unless the players themselfs elect a hero. Could be by winning a turnament or an election or something.  Every person beeing a hero is just wrong in a mmo.

2. No to static worlds..

Make things happen in the world.  Invasions or even a simple thing like cutting down a tree for resourses the tree stay down. Let trees grow bigger with time ex.  Let people age.

3. Stick with the trinity. please dont try to invent a new system.

I like the trinity system. I would like it to evolve and get better though,  not devolve into aoe tank aoe dps everything.

4. Lagspikes, abilyties going on cooldown without activating (looking at you SWTOR) Game cant handle massive. 

Make sure the game runs well even on an older rig.  Make sure the game runs well with less than optimal latency. Make sure the game can handle massive.

5. Endgame consisting of raids only. Maybe with pvp as a sidegame and daylies as a moneygrind. 

Make crafting worth while,  make minigames like ex. dart in cantinas, some boardgame in the park (ex chess) ,a couple of different races, maybe some turnaments.