Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stay Away from Massively

kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

I just noticed was another post talking about them not sure on the subscription model yet their very sure on it... Massively despises ESO proven in this article by the editor-in-chief

http://skycandy.org/2012/06/taking-us-for-granted/ 

Sum it up Massively did not get a complementary bottle and now their out to cause more harm then good towards ESO.

SNIP

Comments

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Stopped going to Massively because of things like this prior to ESO and things like this certainly do not help put them back where they used to be.

I'll happily take a page full of advertisements from MMORPG.com versus the biased, bought-and-paid-for drivel over there.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by kanechart

I just noticed was another post talking about them not sure on the subscription model yet their very sure on it... Massively despises ESO proven in this article by the editor-in-chief

Sum it up Massively did not get a complementary bottle and now their out to cause more harm then good towards ESO.

Thats how things work in this world.... Everyone has an agenda... And you need to be smart enough to see them and filter acordingly

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

I don't see anywhere in that article where the EiC says that Massively despises ESO. You can't assume intent when none is expressed. Rather, the EiC is expressing fears that ESO will follow SWTOR's footsteps based on their shutout of the MMO gaming sites, and there's nothing invalid about those fears.

tl;dr: lighten up, francis.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Originally posted by Acidon

Stopped going to Massively because of things like this prior to ESO and things like this certainly do not help put them back where they used to be.

I'll happily take a page full of advertisements from MMORPG.com versus the biased, bought-and-paid-for drivel over there.

Exactly ^

• kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Thats how things work in this world.... Everyone has an agenda... And you need to be smart enough to see them and filter acordingly

I must admit I was not being to smart. In fact I had a lot of hate towards ESO just because of that site. I use to like it a lot there but things had changed a lot. I should have gotten the clue when half their staff quit a while ago. 

SNIP

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Massively seems more interested in games like LoL and flash based MMO's these days than anything we would call a traditional MMO.   I rarely visit them anymore.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    People still go to Massively? That's like going to AOL for internet service.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades

Oh god that makes it 100x times worse since they are owned by AOL for people who don't actually know that :P

SNIP

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Oh god that makes it 100x times worse since they are owned by AOL for people who don't actually know that :P

Lol yep.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

Install adblock plus, problem solved!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Everyone has an agenda... And you need to be smart enough to see them and filter acordingly

agree - true for every newspaper, tv station, gamesite, gamer .... everyone

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Hmmmmmmmmm, she talks about how Zenimax seems arrogant, yet I can't help but feel that her statements about arrogance, in the context, is really ironic. 

How DARE someone make a game without consulting the MMO community! How DARE someone give exclusives to a general gaming site instead of one dedicated to MMOs! 

Hey! Bree! Maybe it's not in Zenimax's marketing plan to market directly to the MMO community. The biggest problem with introducing an MMO to the MMO community is that everyone always knows better than the people actually making the game (case in point). Not once do I remember hearing people gripe as much about the entire series of ES games as I have people gripe about ESO. 

Based on what Zenimax is doing, I'd say that their much more focused on providing an experience tailored to core gamers. That's who they explicitly targeted with all their other games, that's where their fanbase exists, that's where they'll sell games. I feel like if they created ESO as a groundbreaking MMO, it would feel a little more empty. "Let's take out everything famliar to our existing player base and target a niche market instead" said nobody ever.

Man, someone's whiny. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by inemosz

I agree with that with most sites, but I support mmorpg.com .. They've kept their word at filtering out unrelated and bad ads.  As long as they continue to do so, they will be on my extremely short white list. image

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by inemosz

Why would i...

these advertisements are not disturbing at all.... But they pay the bills of my favourite MMo site

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Could it possibly be that the forum-going, blog-commenting, jaded bittervets are ranting themselves into irrelevance?

Take our very own forums for example.

• If a dev comes here, are they met with any level of respect?
    • Do we ask questions of them or do we interrogate them?
    • Does it seem like the crowd here is anxious to learn about a game or anxious to rip apart a game?

Is it possible that the avid MMO gamer - the self-proclaimed 'veteran' or 'old school' MMO gamer - is being passed over by some developers in favor of interaction with and messaging in a far less hostile environment to a far more receptive audience?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I check massivley everyday. I'm not going to stop going there whether or not they like ESO. Their opinion matters little to me. I check for news on games. That's all. 

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Old article from 2012....................
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    The community on massively is generally less hostile than the community on this site. I visit both just like I visit nbcnews and foxnews, both cover the same thing differently and understanding the differences and making your own decisions based on information given is what's important.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Well lets see, perhaps they understand that there are already tonnes of MMOs out so marketing to the MMO crowd is just an attempt to steal customers from other MMOs and often players return to their old favorites.

Sooooo... just maybe Zenimax understands that their best play is to try to bring people into the MMO genre by way of marketing to all the longtime TES players who are not MMOers but are desktop CRPGers and console players.

Yeah, I have to agree. She just sounds upset because the MMO media sites don't get to play gatekeeper on this one. Too bad for the wannabe publication facistists.

All die, so die well.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Wait...Massively wrote something slightly negative about a upcoming AAA MMORPG???

That's a big change...usually it's nothing but positive hype,glowing reviews and then maybe 7 months down the track and the game has obviously lost popularity maybe you'll get a safe,slightly negative look at the game.

If things have changed maybe I should start looking at massively again.

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    The article is nearly 2 years old. OP is just trolling. Besides, who cares what that guy thinks about the game? I like the game and I"m gonna play it. That's all that matters.
    Originally posted by Arkade99
    The article is nearly 2 years old. OP is just trolling. Besides, who cares what that guy thinks about the game? I like the game and I"m gonna play it. That's all that matters.

Okay there Massively. The point was they have had a negative attitude towards ESO 2 years ago. The last post here from them was about the Millions Beta Testing + Their not sure on the subscription model.... And that was a lie of course so I posted this.

So you are the one trolling.

SNIP

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332

ROFL and this site is not biased?

*COUGH* Wildstar *COUGH*

I go to both sites to read articles but ALL sites are biased / influenced by both personal opinions AND advertising revenue - don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise...

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Arkade99

Pretty much.

This discussion has been closed.