Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curious about the Game and the Community

DeepfallDeepfall Member UncommonPosts: 51

Hello folks,

This community really have me worried lately...Don't take it wrongly, I explain:

Back when this game was released, I was reading on these forums that the game had loads of things similar to SWG. Now I'm reading some of you  comparing it to World of Warcraft. -_- 

So...I'm trying to understand how you would rank this game once you are through dealing the usual bitter taste left at the end of the first months. Does the difficulty last? That's the most important point to me, what I'm really struggling to understand is whether FFXiV is World of Warcraft in tuffer or some sort of sandpark... (like Fallen Earth)

How easy is it to grind every class on one character? I know the question may sound awkward but thats the kind of thing I would be interest to do.

I never managed to play a themepark for longer than 10 hours. Any chance this game makes me reconsider?

Also... I should add than I'm not planning any time soon to wait to play the next big thing. I've done it already. :)

Comments

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

Wait what?  Who / when / where ever made comparisons to SWG and this game?  They lied to you hard if that's the case.  FFXIV is a themepar pure and simple.  It's a good themepark for sure but a themepark all the same.

There are zero, none, no sandbox elements to this game at all.

• DeepfallDeepfall Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

Wait what?  Who / when / where ever made comparisons to SWG and this game?  They lied to you hard if that's the case.  FFXIV is a themepar pure and simple.  It's a good themepark for sure but a themepark all the same.

Thanks to put it straight!

I read a couple of forumers comparing this game to SWG back in september. .. From what I knew of FFXI game's mechanisms, it would not have come as a shock to me if SE had decided to take the franchise in this direction. It made me curious. I first heard of FFXIV on a community forum. Someone was comparing to Ryzom. (a game I adore)  Both mmos allow to grind every jobs. I love the concept. Is there some sort of reward for doing so in Final Fantasy? Alike the hologrind in SWG?
  • srsnoobsrsnoob Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Deepfall

I read a couple of forumers comparing this game to SWG back in september. .. From what I knew of FFXI game's mechanisms, it would not have come as a shock to me if SE had decided to take the franchise in this direction. It made me curious. I first heard of FFXIV on a community forum. Someone was comparing to Ryzom. (a game I adore)  Both mmos allow to grind every jobs. I love the concept. Is there some sort of reward for doing so in Final Fantasy? Alike the hologrind in SWG?

It can take some time to grind all of the classes. The main story and quests of the game will get one class to level 50. To level other classes you can do FATEs (open events that occur periodically in each zone), levequests (repeatable quests), guildhests (small group scenarios), and dungeons.

If you level other classes then you can use some of the cross class abilities on your main class/job. I think you get a special crown to wear if you can level all of the combat classes to 50.

Originally posted by srsnoob

It can take some time to grind all of the classes. The main story and quests of the game will get one class to level 50. To level other classes you can do FATEs (open events that occur periodically in each zone), levequests (repeatable quests), guildhests (small group scenarios), and dungeons.

If you level other classes then you can use some of the cross class abilities on your main class/job. I think you get a special crown to wear if you can level all of the combat classes to 50.

I fear I'm one of those guys who always have to compare new games to the previous ones he played... So this crown you get after "masterizing" all the jobs is not really different than the blue ghost Force Sensitive players received when the NGE hitted them? :p Is there any interest to get it? I tend to like breathing world with some sort of outside purpose for getting into them... The Force in Star Wars is cool idead.  On the opposite, I avoid games where you only log in to rush to the next queue before logging off. Am I in the right place? Fallen Earth did manage to make me enjoy some elements of themeparks... I would enjoy a similar experience in a fantasy world.

BTW, I'm still playing swg emu. I do have Ryzom install and up to date.  :s

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

The comparisons to SWG were due mainly to the complexity of the crafting system which is a very large part of the game. So many gamers skip over crafting which is why that comparison eludes them :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

Originally posted by echolynfan

The comparisons to SWG were due mainly to the complexity of the crafting system which is a very large part of the game. So many gamers skip over crafting which is why that comparison eludes them :)

Thanks! One final question and I let you go back to the game =)

Is crafting useful? I heard a lot of good things about this aspect of FFXIV, can you say that crafted items are superior to the loots?

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

This.  If your are a crafter FFXIV-ARR is for you.  Game play takes 2nd place to the crafting in this game to me.  But it's def themepark.  Not that you can't go anywhere in the world you want at any level.  With sprint and good timing.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

The combat gear drops post-50 edge out best in the game over crafted, however, the gear for crafters is another thing and I sell a ton of it. This is truly a crafter's game with crafters all having a hand in the building materials for housing (which will be REALLY rockin' once personal housing comes out) as well as stat food and potions.

The only thing making players go through the pve content (besides having fun of course)  is the gear and special drops - if SE were to let the crafters make the best gear in-game you'd hear nothing but endless whining from the combat crowd: "crafters suck - they're over charging for everything..SE you suck...etc etc.

It's a fun game with a good community and definitely worth the money.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• BluewhitehellBluewhitehell Member Posts: 66

Hello folks,

This community really have me worried lately...Don't take it wrongly, I explain:

Back when this game was released, I was reading on these forums that the game had loads of things similar to SWG. Now I'm reading some of you  comparing it to World of Warcraft. -_- 

So...I'm trying to understand how you would rank this game once you are through dealing the usual bitter taste left at the end of the first months. Does the difficulty last? That's the most important point to me, what I'm really struggling to understand is whether FFXiV is World of Warcraft in tuffer or some sort of sandpark... (like Fallen Earth)

How easy is it to grind every class on one character? I know the question may sound awkward but thats the kind of thing I would be interest to do.

I never managed to play a themepark for longer than 10 hours. Any chance this game makes me reconsider?

Also... I should add than I'm not planning any time soon to wait to play the next big thing. I've done it already. :)

SWG????

It's one of the most linear themepark I've played in my life, with very limited exploration and character customization. It's anything but SWG lol. It's more similar to SWTOR.

It's easy to grind every class on one character, if you're not into themepark, you probably won't get into this one. Crafting is pretty irrelevant in this game IMO.

I'll fake not to have read the previous post. :p

So, well, I'm in! So far I'm having a lot of fun and I find the world game wonderful! I'll try not to read too much the forum in order not to focus too much on the negative aspects. Thanks you all!

One more thing, from now on, I'll be logging witth my old nickname: Hatchi!

• HaatchiHaatchi Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Deleted User

I'll fake not to have read the previous post. :p

So, well, I'm in! So far I'm having a lot of fun and I find the world game wonderful! I'll try not to read too much the forum in order not to focus too much on the negative aspects. Thanks you all!

One more thing, from now on, I'll be logging witth my old nickname: Haatchi!

Back! I'm quiet impressed with the number of people I see in the starter area !

I made an archer, I'm currently level 8... Compared to SWtor (which I played till level 15), the world is much more living, breathing, and the combat feels a bit more tactic.

There isnt much I can't say so far, however I would have hope that SWTOR  feels more like Final Fantasy XIV. =)