Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Star Citizen: Squadron 42 with Erin Roberts

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Erin Roberts graciously agreed to give me his first interview with a US-based audience and I learned a lot about Star Citizen’s optional introductory military campaign.  While SC is an MMO, the S42 mission pack will be sort of a tutorial for new players. Today we’re going to take a look at what sorts of missions you should expect to see, what options players will have going into those missions, and what the success or failure of those missions will do to impact the rest of the campaign.

Read more of Red Thomas's Star Citizen: Squadron 42 with Erin Roberts.

Shubin Mining Station is one of the first areas of operation in the Squadron 42 campaign.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Finally, a SC story that talks about gameplay. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ddkasimirddkasimir Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I can't wait, this sounds amazing!
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I think Tutorial does not do it justice , Squadron42 is said to be as long and rich in missions like previous Wing commander parts in the series.

and of course there will be the Behind Enemy Lines mission disk add on, free to original backers like me :-)))

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I think Elite: Dangerous deserves more coverage. 

I'm more excited about Elite: Dangerous than I am SC. However, I've already bought both games.

Elite: Dangerous is more exciting for me because:

1) It's a whole universe generated by procedural generation.

2) David Braben has a reputation for producing amazing world firsts, totally out of the blue (such as Elite).

3) The alpha test is going very well - it's a very polished game already

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    In addition, articles should not be ghost written - named authors should take both the responsibility and the credit for what they write.
  • AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

As I am a Citizen I look forward to the Squadron 42 missions... I do however have concerns about how much content they are going to have in the PU.  We already know that planets will have extremely limited access.. you can only move in the limited areas they allow at the city you land in. 

We also know that the games heavily geared to PVP, however most of the players want action in the PU outside of the pvp. PVE content needs to be rich and detailed in the story telling. I know they have wonderful stories on the website, but how those will be translated and used in the PU for players to be pulled into the story remains to be seen.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I think Elite: Dangerous deserves more coverage. 

I'm more excited about Elite: Dangerous than I am SC. However, I've already bought both games.

Elite: Dangerous is more exciting for me because:

1) It's a whole universe generated by procedural generation.

2) David Braben has a reputation for producing amazing world firsts, totally out of the blue (such as Elite).

3) The alpha test is going very well - it's a very polished game already

I am with you here. I have taken a long look at both, and like ideas present in both, but to me, Elite just has what I think is more realistic expectations, and seems more doable. I will undoubtedly play them both, but Elite just seems to be progressing better. For the longest time, all SC gave us was more goals and ships, for more money for more goals and ships. It is nice to see more about gameplay now.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Hey Mors. The author of this article has a real name. It's Red Thomas.....
  • Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    ..and it has my Twitter handle at the end of it.   Just sayin'.  =P
  • UnderdogSMOUnderdogSMO Member Posts: 41
    funny thing about that mors ..... SC has pr is planing on haveing all of the above chris roberts is just as big ((if not bigger at this point)) than david.