Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you be playing WildStar at launch?

Comments

• EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121

I think the MMO genre, needs other MMOs to be successful. I'm not talking about something ignorant like WoW killing.

What I mean,  Wildstar, ESO, EQN. Having four million players, each, both sub games doing well. To show we aren't a complete WoW dominated market. So I won't be playing Wildstar because it's not for me, but I'd like to see all the MMOs do well, because I think it would change the market for the better.

Right now, we have a bunch of other MMOs, taking very small shares from the market, and it's debatable if they are succeeding on a level, good for the genre.  Right now we have rift, tsw, tor, LotrO, Neverwinter, Tera, GW2, FF ARR (among others).

I know there are fans of some of those games, but all those games, have one thing in common. None have really been successful enough, to dictate enough of a market percentage to change the MMO landscape.

If ESO, Wildstar, and EQN come out, and are strong successes, it would not only show the MMO genre in F2P and P2P is not only healthy, but it will change the way MMOs are made.  So everyone should want all to do well.

If they come out, and all fail or even most fail. We could see the end of the MMO genre itself. I think most wouldn't want that. A MMO landscape where WoW is still alive (last of the dinosaurs), and all the mild successful ones, slowly die off over time, due to lack of funds support. I'd rather see a culture change, not a extinction.

"What tastes like purple?"

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Missing option: Only if NCSoft gets dropped as the publisher before then.

<3

• kayze68kayze68 Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by maskedweasel
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I'm quite shocked to see a 60% "NO" vote after 300 votes !

That was not what I expected. I wonder if it would have been that strong if Wildstar was the ONLY big MMO releasing in 2014 ?

At least half those "no's"  just mean they will TRY not to buy it at launch.. more than half the posters here vote and complain for effect, they'll probably still buy it if nothing else is releasing close to it, or if nothing released prior to it,  and once they get tired of whatever game that was,  they'll eventually play Wildstar too.

Even if its not at launch most of the people here complaining will end up playing it after launch at some point.  Its just what they do.

Way to keep that chin up!

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

What I'm seeing is too many people are comparing MMOs too much on numbers and how much the company makes off the game/players. Isn't that the Company's job to keep track of their profits. As a player/customer, you should only judge and compare MMOs based on your own opinion of Quality, not Quantity.

My 2 credits.......

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Currently, my answer is yes, I'll be picking it up.  I find it holds my attention, though not in huge chunks of time.  I enjoy the music, though some scores I feel aren't completely suited for the area.  I think the visuals are vibrant and pretty well done.  I like the combat and choices therein which is hugely important.  So, I'm looking at this and probably EQ Next when it's fleshed out.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    100% yes and without hesitation. It's hands down the most complete MMO to release in the genre. It's a shame that people want to keep chasing that next "revolutionary" title when the things that make MMO's special are all in WildStar. There are many people who will stand by the wayside completely confused as to why WildStar maintains its popularity since they will never give the game a close enough look to see it for the gem that it is.

I disagree that linear quest hub themeparks are what make this genre special.  

I will not being playing this game at launch or when it goes freemium or even true FTP.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

Originally posted by Arkade99

Originally posted by Dogblaster

Originally posted by gonewild and why not play wow which is looking far superior and plays a lot better
    :D Why? Because wow looks worse, combat is worse, is casual and noob heaven, have LFR raids, has boring and easy dungeons, has no housing .. and much more things :)   Obviously you are not target audience of Wildstar ... TBC, Vanila WoW players are and another mmorpg gamers who seeks gear grind mmorpg with big ass raids :) 
    I enjoyed vanilla WoW. Didn't enjoy WS. Maybe it's me that has changed.

Nope you aren't alone. Wildstar is more like the current dumbed down WoW than vanilla wow so vanilla wow players certainly are not the audience. WildStar combat is just dreadful too.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

After this weekend? No, definitely not.

The questing, lore, sound and UI are my main points why i dont see me playing wildstar at any point.

Questing is just a blueprint of early WoW or Aion grind quests. And there are just far too many of them. The paths looked very interesting, but turned out as more meaningless grind (Soldier), bad jumping sections with no exploration at all (explorer) or just node-clicking and NPC-clicking (settler). So I was very disappointed with this part.

The lore seems very distracted. You get a lot of lore pieces, but they are nowhere near a TSW or even a SWTOR in this part. And whats with the mainstory of this big war? They tell you, that the Dominion and the Exiles are at war, and then they quest next to each other? Not a single time, you would think that the two factions are really in a struggle with each other in the quest-zones.

Addional to this, I didnt remember one single NPC after 15 levels on either side. They are just no-names without any background or charisma.

Another point is the sound. The music itself is absolutely ok, but after one hour I couldnt stand the sound effects on my stalker. They were just so annoyingly high pitched and because they are repeated every few (milli)seconds I turned them off completely. And those "double-kill" and "Level-Up" sounds? No comment, I'm not 15 anymore.

And the last, and maybe worst point, is this absolute overloaded UI, that hits you every 5 seconds with a new pop-up window. You cant move anything around. The quest-log is just a big mess, where you dont really find anything after youre halfway through a zone, because you'll have about 20 quests in there. Well, which one was my main-quest again? Doh!

I dont think carbine can change this game in the last 6 months so much, that I will enjoy it. So I will stay away from it as it looks now.

Hodor!

• R.LimaR.Lima Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Originally posted by gwei1984

After this weekend? No, definitely not.

The questing, lore, sound and UI are my main points why i dont see me playing wildstar at any point.

Questing is just a blueprint of early WoW or Aion grind quests. And there are just far too many of them. The paths looked very interesting, but turned out as more meaningless grind (Soldier), bad jumping sections with no exploration at all (explorer) or just node-clicking and NPC-clicking (settler). So I was very disappointed with this part.

The lore seems very distracted. You get a lot of lore pieces, but they are nowhere near a TSW or even a SWTOR in this part. And whats with the mainstory of this big war? They tell you, that the Dominion and the Exiles are at war, and then they quest next to each other? Not a single time, you would think that the two factions are really in a struggle with each other in the quest-zones.

Addional to this, I didnt remember one single NPC after 15 levels on either side. They are just no-names without any background or charisma.

Another point is the sound. The music itself is absolutely ok, but after one hour I couldnt stand the sound effects on my stalker. They were just so annoyingly high pitched and because they are repeated every few (milli)seconds I turned them off completely. And those "double-kill" and "Level-Up" sounds? No comment, I'm not 15 anymore.

And the last, and maybe worst point, is this absolute overloaded UI, that hits you every 5 seconds with a new pop-up window. You cant move anything around. The quest-log is just a big mess, where you dont really find anything after youre halfway through a zone, because you'll have about 20 quests in there. Well, which one was my main-quest again? Doh!

I dont think carbine can change this game in the last 6 months so much, that I will enjoy it. So I will stay away from it as it looks now.

QFT

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,179
    Originally posted by kayze68
    Originally posted by maskedweasel
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I'm quite shocked to see a 60% "NO" vote after 300 votes !

That was not what I expected. I wonder if it would have been that strong if Wildstar was the ONLY big MMO releasing in 2014 ?

At least half those "no's"  just mean they will TRY not to buy it at launch.. more than half the posters here vote and complain for effect, they'll probably still buy it if nothing else is releasing close to it, or if nothing released prior to it,  and once they get tired of whatever game that was,  they'll eventually play Wildstar too.

Even if its not at launch most of the people here complaining will end up playing it after launch at some point.  Its just what they do.

Way to keep that chin up!

I've been around a long time, thats just what they do.  After playing it for however long.. days.. a week.. a month.. 2 years, they'll be back here to complain how awful their play time was..  ::shrug::  

• TechnohicTechnohic Member Posts: 148

No.  Hope people that like what it is doing do and enjoy it just the same.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by gonewild
    and why not play wow which is looking far superior and plays a lot better

If one love pizza does not mean must eat pizza for whole life 5 times per day. :-) Currently playing wow which is the best game ever  - imo of course - but I always look forward to try anything else. My close second is Swtor ... but still there are various valid games out there. I hope Wildstar will be one of them. Regarding TESO ... probably will not play. Only reason: that silly, button mashing, buttons limit.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

I definitely want to give wildstar a try.

As far all of the games coming out:

-if I am able to get into a Wildstar beta to test and if I love it, I will buy the collectors edition (**note, I have never bought a collectors edition for ANY game)

-if I do not get into beta, I'll simply buy the regular edition.

-If I get to test TESO out once more and try out a new class and enjoy it, AND if wildstar hasn't announced a release date, I might pick up TESO..otherwise I will not.  I haven't been impressed yet.

-I will probably pick up diablo 3 reaper of souls if I do not buy TESO...

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    If you had asked me this a month ago I would of said omg yes 100% but after play testing both wildstar and ESO for me ESO is the right fit.  Im not a big fan or the art style the chaos on screen or having the best gear be behind a 40 man raid wall.  I never enjoyed raiding in WoW either but millions apon millions of peopel do love raids and for them this game might be the cats ass but for me its 100% ESO really had a grat time in beta plus all the positive changes coming I am pumped for the future of eso but I do feel there is place for both games to succeed and I may be playing wild star after I bore of ESO :)
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Originally posted by the420kid
    If you had asked me this a month ago I would of said omg yes 100% but after play testing both wildstar and ESO for me ESO is the right fit.  Im not a big fan or the art style the chaos on screen or having the best gear be behind a 40 man raid wall.  I never enjoyed raiding in WoW either but millions apon millions of peopel do love raids and for them this game might be the cats ass but for me its 100% ESO really had a grat time in beta plus all the positive changes coming I am pumped for the future of eso but I do feel there is place for both games to succeed and I may be playing wild star after I bore of ESO :)

I didnt have a positive ESO beta experience and I havent tried wildstar yet.

I agree with you about BiS gear behind 40 man raid wall.  However, I do think that BiS gear should be behind some sort of raid wall..40 man is just crazy.  While I did enjyo raiding in WoW, and I am open to try to raid again in Wildstar, Im not sure it fits my lfiestyle or my energy level anymore.  So I need a game where I can have nice character progression on my own and at my own pace, and then areas where I can test the meddle of both my skill and gear.

I thought GW2 was that game, and maybe it still is.  I just can't get on board with living story.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Will I be playing at launch?

I have no idea. Haven't played it yet... once Open Beta gets underway (if it has one) and I can play this rascal for a couple of weeks then I will be able to make that decision.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    This games questing = zzz

I'll be passing...
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Will absolutely be playing.  No doubt about it.  One of the more well-made MMOs of the past few years.  
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Same old, same old. WoW clone with boring outdated fed ex questing. Would not even play if it was free to play. Elder Scrolls Online is going to destroy this game in sales.
    Originally posted by Jockan
    Same old, same old. WoW clone with boring outdated fed ex questing. Would not even play if it was free to play. Elder Scrolls Online is going to destroy this game in sales.

Marking for later.   Prognostication is so fun.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

To be fair I usually don't weigh in on whom will beat whom in sales.  But ESO will be released on PC,Mac,XBox One, PS4.  Does put them at a slight advantage.  Regardless, Wildstar doesn't have a release date yet.  The game could very well be pushed back.

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

At launch? Hell, I would be playing it right now if they would let me.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    No, played in the beta on Friday and it just didn't catch my interest. It seemed like a decent game and hope it does well for those who are interested but it just wasn't my cup of tea.
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

To be fair I usually don't weigh in on whom will beat whom in sales.  But ESO will be released on PC,Mac,XBox One, PS4.  Does put them at a slight advantage.  Regardless, Wildstar doesn't have a release date yet.  The game could very well be pushed back.

Oh, I'm not doubting that ESO is going to sell more boxes out of the gate.  The Elder Scrolls IP guarantees that.  That doesn't mean it will have more long-term success.  As I stated on another thread, I enjoyed both games and will be playing both.  I just happen to think there is more "meat" to Wildstar.  I think once the NDA is lifted, you are going to see an upswing in positive reviews, just like you saw with ESO.