Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Depressed how cool other people build... :(

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Wow. I mean I tried to build my simple Temple into a mountainside... but seeing other people build Cathedrals, cool taverns and bad ass Asia Temples with tons of ornaments... it kinda makes me feel the most uncreative person in the world. :(

lol, but ... *sad Panda*

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Focus more on becoming a better builder and less envying others ;)

Take notes/screenshots of their work to get ideas. Challenge yourself to improve what you've done already. As long as your own creations are getting better and better all the time, it's progress :)

I'm also a mediocre builder myself, but I strive to get better all the time and lend inspiration from other's works :)

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

Hey i feel that way as well sometimes. But im absolutely getting better.

I made such a sweet arch today................... LOL.

Loving the alpha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

You also have to consider the time they put in. A friend of mine has been building this .....thing for almost a week. All day long every moment the servers are up. It looks awesome.....but hole crap I wouldn't want to put that much effort into a building no matter how cool it looked after.

But he loves doing it and is having fun.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by DamonVile

You also have to consider the time they put in. A friend of mine has been building this .....thing for almost a week. All day long every moment the servers are up. It looks awesome.....but hole crap I wouldn't want to put that much effort into a building no matter how cool it looked after.

Hehe yeah, but it is kinda holding me back that I know the buildings will be destroyed at some point, either when Alpha ends or a huge patch comes. So I kinda hesitate to create all that much detail just to have to seen gone. ^^;

And then, I plan to make a nice, homey abode, not sooo much a castle or a giant temple or what. But it the extravanganza of some stuff looks cool. I am just not sure I want to live in a castle or something that looks like an artsy building, hehe.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Elikal

Wow. I mean I tried to build my simple Temple into a mountainside... but seeing other people build Cathedrals, cool taverns and bad ass Asia Temples with tons of ornaments... it kinda makes me feel the most uncreative person in the world. :(

lol, but ... *sad Panda*

haha, don't worry about it. Building on the side of a mountain is a much harder task than building straight on the ground. Many ideas that normaly would work, won't work as well on a mountain, that's if you want it to make sense. Also all the mountains are one shape, so that kind of limits your options. Check out the pictures and you can see most have picked flat land. :)

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Wow. I mean I tried to build my simple Temple into a mountainside... but seeing other people build Cathedrals, cool taverns and bad ass Asia Temples with tons of ornaments... it kinda makes me feel the most uncreative person in the world. :( lol, but ... *sad Panda*

I wonder If it is actually possible to get to the level of some other people.
    I mean In real life people are naturally talented artists and thus everyone cant be Michealangelo's.

Wonder if that holds true in virtual worlds?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

Hehe yeah, but it is kinda holding me back that I know the buildings will be destroyed at some point, either when Alpha ends or a huge patch comes. So I kinda hesitate to create all that much detail just to have to seen gone. ^^;

And then, I plan to make a nice, homey abode, not sooo much a castle or a giant temple or what. But it the extravanganza of some stuff looks cool. I am just not sure I want to live in a castle or something that looks like an artsy building, hehe.

Everything you build you can template and bring to the finished game :)

Unless they drastically change the materials involved that is.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by tyfon

Everything you build you can template and bring to the finished game :)

Unless they drastically change the materials involved that is.

This. Templates will save over all wipes and right into the release.

I've been templating all I do, but because I'm learning all the time and my buildings are each more awesome than the last, I've deleted a lot of templates, too.

I find it most useful to template "modules". Things that take a while to build, which can then be built on many different terrain. I've chopped the keep I'm working on into small modules like this, so I can rebuild it on another island/claim when they are wiped.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I can appreciate what the others arr building but im too quest oriented andmy quest is to fully upgrade my gear and stations. Plus it sees I have plenty of time to build. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• SupermassiveSupermassive Member Posts: 8

Since I started playing Landmark, I've started builds over 3 times.  I had a nice cozy mountainside retreat on the edge of the desert that i spent a few days on, then I was like I need to challenge myself with new ideas and shapes so now I am working on a castle on the edge of a mountain cliff that overlooks a forested valley.  It's already huge and I think I have about a full week invested in it, but I think I'm gonna destroy it and start over because as i was building it i learned new tricks that would make an even better looking castle.  

I don't dread the day that SOE wipes my data, I relish the thought of having to further push my creative processes.  When the game finally releases my goal will be to build an actual castle with surrounding town.  hopefully they will implement a way to stack claims next to each other or offer larger claims so that I can build like that.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

These two are buildings I found in a Tier 3 zone. Just awesome! *envy*

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    That windmill structure is nice.  I have a big pit, with a marble floor, some stairs and I am working on a marble 2nd floor in the put, looking at 3 underground floors, with the 2nd and 3rd floors being half floors overlooking the floor below.  Will do some nice hand rails and such, then gotta figure out what I want to do topside...Ran out of marble, but it is super easy to get.  I also hope they change the size tool, to lock in flatter but wider squares, it would be a little quicker, since thinner floors and walls means less material used.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Piqued my interest, can other players destroy these buildings, what about space or is it instanced?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Your a dungeon type of guy Elikal, start building a kick ass dungeon. I'm working on my Mayan Pyramid of Doom

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

lol, but ... *sad Panda*

Lmao I hear you.

I'm getting better though. I can make columns and such now lol. 

Dangit seems like screenshot's not working...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Piqued my interest, can other players destroy these buildings, what about space or is it instanced?

Open world.

Combat and PvP are on the way. 2-3 months out probably.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Supermassive

Since I started playing Landmark, I've started builds over 3 times.  I had a nice cozy mountainside retreat on the edge of the desert that i spent a few days on, then I was like I need to challenge myself with new ideas and shapes so now I am working on a castle on the edge of a mountain cliff that overlooks a forested valley.  It's already huge and I think I have about a full week invested in it, but I think I'm gonna destroy it and start over because as i was building it i learned new tricks that would make an even better looking castle.  

I don't dread the day that SOE wipes my data, I relish the thought of having to further push my creative processes.  When the game finally releases my goal will be to build an actual castle with surrounding town.  hopefully they will implement a way to stack claims next to each other or offer larger claims so that I can build like that.

Phase 1 :)

• Attached Claims: You’ll first be able to add a new claim onto any existing one (whether to the side, above, or below). This will be the first time we let you have more space to build.
    • Additional Claims : After Attached Claims are working well, and we have more server hardware in place, we’ll also be letting you establish more claims in different locations. It’s coming!

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I realize I am not a builder type. Im looking forward to EQ Next.  It is great Landmark exists for the builders , but I just cant build anything.  My focus is on questing and advancing my character.   Hopefully , I can exist side by side with builders in the same world and everyone will be happy., 
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I realize I am not a builder type. Im looking forward to EQ Next.  It is great Landmark exists for the builders , but I just cant build anything.  My focus is on questing and advancing my character.   Hopefully , I can exist side by side with builders in the same world and everyone will be happy., 

I'm not the builder type either, atleast I wasn't....

Theres something eloquently primal about building. I think humans have it in them. I'm enjoying the challenge and personal progression.  It's hard to stop once you get something going. Idk, it's strange. I basically skipped ESO AvA last weekend, logging into Wushu less, and haven't wanted to play planetside.. I seem to just want to build... Idk

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by DamonVile

You have to remember though even though it is alpha, everything will get wiped BUT anything you build on your claim will be saved into a template manually or automatically when the wipe occurs, anything you build will be carried over to the live version, once people are able to submit their creations to Player Studio a lot of of cool things will be in the store for other players to pick up if they like the design, also the development team can also take things created by players and put them into the actual Everquest Next game if they like what they see. Creations will always be templated.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I struggle to build better in Minecraft, I'm about to breakdown and get into Landmark though. What has helped me become a better builder over the years is watching what others have done and incorporate those ideas into my own style.

Some of the things I've learned that I have found most helpful, even if they seem obvious once you "get it" include;

Asymmetry. Interesting structures aren't always symmetrical, it's the oddities that make something interesting, more so than conformity.

Randomization. I'm not sure how possible this is in Landmark yet, but once you complete the basics of your build, go back and randomize some things. Like, if you can age the look of your builds in random spots, do so, but do it in a way that makes sense. If there is different types of stone to use (like cobble vs. smooth stone in minecraft) then use one for a foundation and another for the walls. If there is different colored wood, use contrasting colors to differentiate between sections of your build.

Additionally, using lighting in different ways can make a flat wall into a more 3D looking wall. 

I saw in your video, Eikal, that you were wanting to do a pagoda of sorts. Of course, you know to look at photos for ideas, but also look into the realm of fantasy art for additional ideas as well. 

Finally, the best thing I learned for Minecraft at least, was that always remember that it's a game. You don't have to follow rules of physics and proper engineering in a game. Try to break free from "well this makes sense because in real life" type of thinking. Even though you have to follow the limitations of the game engine, always remember it's "your world" when you are building. Go watch a Bob Ross painting video on youtube to reinforce that idea ;)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

lol, but ... *sad Panda*

Hey Elikal, though I come from a family of artists and am an artist myself (though I indulged my musical side) I find that it pays to be open and to learn from those better than me.

I'm currently working on a skyrim mod and when I find that I am stuck on how to clutter something I go into the construction set and look at what the "pros" did. I've also learned quite a lot from other modders.

I think the best thing is to start small, learn about mastering the tools at hand and do not be afraid to iterate.

There was a time that I wanted to draw hands better so I got out my books and started drawing hands. Then when I was done I would do it again. and then again.

Don't let it get you down if it doesn't come naturally. Just be willing to learn!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by Nitth

lol, but ... *sad Panda*

I wonder If it is actually possible to get to the level of some other people.
    I mean In real life people are naturally talented artists and thus everyone cant be Michealangelo's.

Wonder if that holds true in virtual worlds?

Talent, or a lack thereof, is more often an excuse than a reality.  Certainly the greatest of artists had advantages in how their brains processed and interacted with art, but *most* artists do not get by on talent.  Not anymore.  Now days it's about hard work.  You no longer have to feel out how to do something 'right', you can learn how because other people have come before, made the mistakes, and left guides for you to follow and emulate until you find your own style.  Computers have also mitigated the effect of 'talent', by removing any physical barriers to producing good art (like a steady hand, or dexterous motions.)  Art can, now days, be produced by a multitude of programs, each suiting different types of people.  You can use straight photoshop and a tablet for that old fashioned approach to drawing/painting, or dive into something like Z-brush or Mudbox, or 3ds Max for sculptures.  There are also countless tools like premade brushes and shapes that really limit you purely to your imagination.

These days, talent is the crutch people use to avoid hard work.  "They'll always be better because they are talented, so why try?"  Unless you're playing Basketball, where half the game is about height, you'd best dissuade yourself of these false notions if you wish to release yourself from your limitations.

• the420kidthe420kid Member UncommonPosts: 440
    this is super outside my box of talents as well I ant build in games and I hate minecraft but some people love it and they are very good at is.  Work at it long as your having fun but just remember not everyone gets to be awsome at everything, you might try hard and still make garbage but thats ok we each have different skillsets they wouldnt be called skills if everyone was able to do it.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

The awesomeness of the structure is directly proportioned to the amount of free time the builder has to waste.

I remodeled my kitchen with my 2 bare hands pretty much solo each weekend over the course of about 3 months. I'll take that over a pile of voxels any day. :)

Joined - July 2004