Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Voice chat for PC client

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Both console clients will get the standard Sony or Microsoft voice chat client...

Personally i would have loved a standard voice chat client in the PC game too... one that activates automatically as soon as i enter a group.... wether it be for PvP content, PvE, Dungeons or raid zones.... Groups work best with voice chat...its so much easier to communicate over voice chat when in combat

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Games never EVER do in game voice chat as well as voice chat services that EVERYONE uses.

IE

Vent, Mumble, or Teamspeak.

Heck those are cheap and one is free.

They do it better than any integrated VC program in any MMO.  

It's like why not have McDonalds make Pizzas too?  Oh right, they tried that, it failed.   People go to MMOs for gameplay and Voice Over chat program companies for their voice chat.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

Games never EVER do in game voice chat as well as voice chat services that EVERYONE uses.

IE

It's like why not have McDonalds make Pizzas too?  Oh right, they tried that, it failed.   People go to MMOs for gameplay and Voice Over chat program companies for their voice chat.

QFT

Even in games that natively support voice comms, they still don't do it as well as 3rd party programs do, it will probably be a requirement for guilds for the more serious pvp members to have mumble ts3 vent etc, rather than use whatever is in the game.image

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

IE

But then... everyone has a different type of voice chat client... unless they belong to the same raidgroup or guild..

Vent, teamspeak and the like don´t work well with PUGS.... sadly its no surprise that espescially PUGS with newbees could get a lot of help from voice chat..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

IE

But then... everyone has a different type of voice chat client... unless they belong to the same raidgroup or guild..

Vent, teamspeak and the like don´t work well with PUGS.... sadly its no surprise that espescially PUGS with newbees could get a lot of help from voice chat..

voice comms is really for guild members only, you don't let randoms in, never know who is a spy etc. but for pugs in game voice chat is good enough, its okay for the casual stuff.

• SolarRainSolarRain Member UncommonPosts: 32

But those aren't necessarily cheap or free are they? Since you need to pay server rent I believe. Though you could host the server yourself if you don't mind the bandwidth hit. Also those choices are irrelevant when talking about PUGs. A lot of multiplayer/co-op PC games have excellent built in voice chat that make TS/Vent irrelevant, no reason why it can't be done for ESO.

So yeah, I'd really like to see built in voice chat.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Voted NO because for example MS has extensive systems built into XBL to report abuse and most all of the chat features exist outside the game.

So you aren't really getting voice chat from Call of Duty, for example, you are really getting it from XBL.

So it's not that different from PC and something like Vent/Tspeak.

Originally posted by SolarRain

But those aren't necessarily cheap or free are they? Since you need to pay server rent I believe. Though you could host the server yourself if you don't mind the bandwidth hit. Also those choices are irrelevant when talking about PUGs. A lot of multiplayer/co-op PC games have excellent built in voice chat that make TS/Vent irrelevant, no reason why it can't be done for ESO.

So yeah, I'd really like to see built in voice chat.

servers do cost, but its not that much. Not only that but third party servers offer more than in game voice chat does, in terms of security, number of clients supported, but mostly it enables guild leaders/officers etc a higher degree of control over the voice comms, handy to have in case the game crashes too. Whether there is in game voice chat or not really won't make any difference, guilds will in all probability, have one of those 3rd party programs as a requirement for membership, or at least for pvp ops.image

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

IE

My ideal system would be a game where there was no global or mass chats. If you're in the area or group with someone you can chat and it's a voice to text system. Hearing people's voices usually breaks the immersion for me.  

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

No thanks...

I'd prefer 3rd party applications that not only do it better, but allow me to choose who I am talking to.

• Please, kids... Stop daydreaming and talking bs about how its hard to do a good voicechat. CS 1.6 has perfect voicechat. And its so old. For someone like Zenimax it would be no trouble implementing a good voice chat.

And stop being stupid, just because you want to use ts3 or raidcall or whatever doesn't mean there should not be this implementation. A lot of people won't be in guilds andforming random groups, that's what the voice chat is for. If you don't want to use it, DON'T. But there's NOT a single reason for not implementing it.

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    IMO it would have been nice for pugs and random groups (where you aren't going to normally invite them to voice chat or vice versa.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Stiler
    IMO it would have been nice for pugs and random groups (where you aren't going to normally invite them to voice chat or vice versa.

Precisely

• ThornrageThornrage Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Originally posted by Baikal

No thanks...

I'd prefer 3rd party applications that not only do it better, but allow me to choose who I am talking to.

Agree

"I don't give a sh*t what other people say. I play what I like and I'll pay to do it too!" - SerialMMOist

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

i would like it in groups optionally

and chat bubbles

no global chat

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I don't care where the VOIP comes from but I do wish everyone used the same one instead of the three big ones and all the minor ones that different guilds use. That's the one and only reason I like them included in the MMO.

SOE is ahead of the curve in this respect. Not only do they have in-game VOIP (EQ2, PS2) but it uses voice morphing. It'd be nice if that female Orc sounded like a female Orc (whatever they "really" sound like, lol ) instead of a dude with a raspy southern drawl.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370

It may work but only for groups and guilds. But then again even there it only may work. In MMORPG even if one goes through some content with a group of 5-6 ppl then even reading text chat (as in how some player's in the group tend to behave) for some can kill fun of playing even if they don't call everyone idiots and so on. Listening to such ppl could be simply too much.

As for adventure zones and Cyrodiil - more pugged players = more traffic on voice chat too. That's unfortunately what pick up groups stand for. And guilds most likely will want to choose full solutions so guild chat, few party chats and so on. But the already established guilds / multigaming guilds often already have voice chat servers paid for. Also dedicated client for voice commnication is another great benefit - no need to log into the game (subscription based game) to talk with others in your guild.

So to sum it up guilds most likely would not use it most of the time - maybe just some smaller, newly established guilds which future is still uncertain. And doing it just for groups? As I said many player's for different reasons would not use it, some would even avoid it at all cost.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

i dont like voice chat with pugs, to may times you end up with some annoying asshat who likes to make stupid sounds over hte chat bewcuase he thinks its funny.

i prefer to use 3rd party voice chat there are tons of them now and some decent one are free to, 

so instead of wasteing dev time on voice char for soething most PC gamers wont use anyway due to preference for a specific 3rd party one, why not have them just skip voice chat entirely.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    guild chat I would love to see that has well as group chat..theguild chat in eq2 is brilliant.if they can have it in an old game like that then there is no reason why they shouldn't have it in this game.
  • GrimeyeDGrimeyeD Member Posts: 16
    I rather use TS, Mumble or Vent and get another cool game feature.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Stiler

Precisely

+1 to this ..great for groups in pve . Keep the Team-speak and Mumble for guilds and AvA action

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Squeak69

i dont like voice chat with pugs, to may times you end up with some annoying asshat who likes to make stupid sounds over hte chat bewcuase he thinks its funny.

i prefer to use 3rd party voice chat there are tons of them now and some decent one are free to, 

so instead of wasteing dev time on voice char for soething most PC gamers wont use anyway due to preference for a specific 3rd party one, why not have them just skip voice chat entirely.

You know you always have the option to turn the voice chat off right,,,,I just think it's nice to have the option to join a pug and have the ability to toggle on a group chat even if it's just for saying Thanks at the end of a run

• WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Originally posted by dontadow
     Hearing people's voices usually breaks the immersion for me.  

This