Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DayZ: Dean Hall to Step Down as Lead Designer

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Eurogamer is reporting that DayZ's Dean Hall is stepping down as the game's Lead Designer. According to the interview, Hall will be leaving Bohemia Interactive completely by the end of the year in order to set up his own studio in New Zealand.

"I am a grenade," he begun, this time sat in the DayZ office in central Prague. "I have a specific use. I'm really good at risk-taking and making other people take risks, I've always been good at that in my life. Like you say, maybe I've got the gift of the gab, so I can talk, I can explain something, I can talk people up to the ledge and get them to jump off it.

"That's what I did with DayZ; I've done it twice now [once with the mod, again with the standalone] - two new code teams have separately done it.

"But eventually, that's the bad person to have. Eventually, you don't want the guy telling you to go over the top and get through. So at some point I'll be a disaster for the project, at least in a leadership role.

Read more at the link above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Big-CronkBig-Cronk Member Posts: 61
    Interesting

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Well that stinks, I was suckered into the alpha too. I would not have purchased if I knew leadership was just going to walk off.
  • brunofilip123brunofilip123 Member Posts: 7
    Now will be interesting to see how is Day Z going to evolve .
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    This sucks so much. We should get ready for health bars and fast travel as a guy said on dayz forums.

• MojoKingBeeMojoKingBee Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by brunofilip123
    Now will be interesting to see how is Day Z going to evolve .

depends how many of the dev team he got to jump off i guess.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

This is epic news for DayZ in the long run.

Kudos to Dean for doing what is best for the game and studio.

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358

this is a prime example of why spending a box price on a product that is no where near box price ready is a risky thing and why i stay well away from it

but i am sure he is happy becoming very rich from a game he no longer has to do much with regardless of success or failure

and in his interview he already bashes DayZ saying it is "a fundamentally flawed concept"

anyone investing money in any of his future projects is crazy

• smokeybhasmokeybha Member UncommonPosts: 129
    He sounds pretty narcissistic to me. 
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Does that mean we'll get some meaty updates to DayZ:SA? at last?  I love DayZ but it's going at a snail pace.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    This term gets thrown around a lot but... Cash grab?!

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

What did you expect he's made a quick buck of a crap load of people including myself believing all the crap he spouted about this amazing game he was creating based on the MOD what we got was a shell of game that actually plays worse than the MOD. No he's jumping ship with his money and starting a new project that he will probably half finish too.

This guy and Peter Molyneux must of gone to the same school because they are both amazing at making shit sound like gold.

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

I am so glad I waited to buy this.  This is one reason it is best to wait for a product and pass the hype!

Now I get to wait and see how it comes out and then make a better decision.

So like Dean I am out of here and will step back and see what becomes of it.

Z.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Having worked with people of the same personality type before i have nothing but respect for his choice of path. All to often people overstay and things get very tense and quality drops. Not to mention that the number of conflicts tend to grow.

Going to be fun to see what he takes on next.

This have been a good conversation

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    And that my friends is 1 of 100 reasons why one should never be sucked into this "Early Access". Having said that, if I were him I'd take a break for health reasons then come back to it, not to give up on leadership. He and his pals just made crap ton of money from people, he shouldn't be giving up on is position.
  • expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Well at least it wasn't news the project was being sold to EA.

$1.99 to instantly recover from unconsciousness

$5.99 for a box of Ammo

$2.99 for emergency teleport out of elecktro

£1.45 for a bambie starter kit; includes a can of sardines, a pipsi and a baseball bat

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    I hope this cranks it up a notch. This game is fading for me as time goes on.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by smokeybha

Yep.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421

Maybe something will get done, and this might turn into an actual game.

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297

How does he sound narcissistic when he is clearly stating he is a bad person to be in a leadership role? 

• rdagerrdager Member UncommonPosts: 8

Yes I  agree this is bad. The Founder and Lead designer walks away after he has got all of us to buy his game. I think the main flaw here is in us, the gamers. We think these people are worth looking up to and investing in. When we should know that they are all in it for the $. 

The Good News is that if thats what Dean was in it for then its best that he steps down and let some other idealistic designer step in until he succumbs to the all mighty dollar as well. Also Bohemian Interactive has some sort of control in this game as well. We all know they are a standup company and did a hell of a job on Arma 3. So maybe it isnt all bad news.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Tsuru

How does he sound narcissistic when he is clearly stating he is a bad person to be in a leadership role? 

I take it that he only came to this personal insight AFTER he accepted the position and held it for a while ?

I suspect that he's realised that building a high quality standalone game is very different from slapping together a mod based on somebody-else's good game engine. It's probably too boring and slow for his liking. He's probably ALSO realised that if he sticks with it all the way to the end, the "survival game" craze may have burnt out (if it hasn't already). That would not be good for either his ego or his image, so he's quitting while he's ahead ?

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

very surprised, and frankly disappointed.

basically what he said is "i decided to take huge gambles on a whole bunch of crap that didn't work out like i had hoped. now this game is a mess and my co workers are all pissed at me for not listening to anyone, so i'm leaving and hopefully someone else can fix this crap for you".

Now, this wouldn't be a big problem if thousands of people didn't already buy this game, but they did. as it stands right now, whom ever allowed for alpha sales knowing full well what was going on is frankly a dishonest douche. Sorry for all those that bought the alpha. 

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

has there been an official post about it? I usually do not take Eurogamer to seriously...... They wrote a complete review of Darkfall, but were called out by the devs. They checked how long they had been ingame.... it was a shocking 30 minutes!!!!!!

Still it is weird that the guy is working to make his vision becoming reality is leaving is own project.

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

and lemme guess what his first project wil be. a zombie shooter? ^^

after war-z and day-z we surely need another one!

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"