Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you be playing WildStar at launch?

AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

These are my thoughts after playing two beta weekends. One weekend solo. One weekend. playing with friends.

Played all classes. On both the Exile and Dominion sides. Reaching to level 15 on my highest character.

Pros:

• Housing; a very big pro. If you do not like housing. You are not going to get the most out of this game in my opinion.
  • Paths; they give you the option to change your questing experience to mix things up. They also provide unique bonuses, skills and rewards.
  • Optional starting zones; you don't have to level through the same zones every single time you make a new character ala how SWTOR did it. Tutorial excluded.
  • Challenges; either you're going to hate them for mocking your failure or love them when you succeed.
  • War Plots; PVP keeps that you create, maintain and defend.
  • Animations and movement; is smooth and very polished. World of Warcraft level of polished.
  • Combat; is solid.
  • Combat ability slots are fully swap-out-able; you're not stuck with having to use any one particular skill and keys are fully re-bindable. There is no "auto attack" for players.
  • Music; there are a lot of beautiful, emotional and chilling tracks in this game.
  • Sci-fi genre; not as over done and tiresome as the fantasy counter part.

Cons:

• Phasing; biggest draw back in my opinion. There are occurrences of phasing where you lose sight of other players because they're on a different part of a quest chain. Although there is a function to join your party leader's phase. It has proven to be ineffective with it not working. Leaving you unable to play with your friends through quest chains that can take hours to get through. Can also hamper world PVP.
  • Hub based questing; if you don't like walking into a town and collecting a bunch of quests. This game isn't for you.
  • Performance issues; there are many places in the game currently that will tank your FPS hard.
  • Lack of Z-axis in combat; you aim on a horizontal 2d plain. Aiming at any thing flying is awkward.
  • Sub-par tutorial ship; leaves a bad impression for the game as it is quite dull.
  • Over use of obnoxious flashing effects; in certain zones. There are effects that can cause one to feel sick. Everstar Grove and Algoroc zones being the two offending examples.
  • Naming system; you cannot use space to create two word names. Numbers are allowed. You will be seeing a lot of "JohnDoe" and "J0hnD03".
  • Lack of character customization; they give you a few options. But many of them are unappealing and funneling people into one or two options.
  • Lack of weapon options for classes; you're a warrior. You use a sword. Don't like swords? Too bad. Well there is that arm cannon you use some times...

Summary:

WildStar has its problems. Some fixable. Some you're going to have to live with if you intend to play this game. Some of it's features make up for many of it's short comings. They still have a bit to go before launch. I don't think they are quite ready for launch in its current state. But they're getting there and do listen to the players.

Although I do not know how long WildStar's appeal will last in the long run. I do think it is worth the initial 60 dollar purchase. I will likely be there at launch.

Comments

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    No, I will be purchasing Wildstar right when it is availible :D
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

like poster above, I will be buying as soon as.

Whilst i see lots of hate for this (and eso) the fact is this game doesn't take itself serious and that i like about it. but yep ill be in as soon released

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Not sure yet WOD may draw me back and it depends on their box price. I don't like ESO though.
  • gonewildgonewild Member UncommonPosts: 136
    and why not play wow which is looking far superior and plays a lot better
  • elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I am waiting they start the preorders, so I'll be surely there at launch.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    No.  If I wanted to play WoW, I would be playing WoW.
  • GrimfargoGrimfargo Member UncommonPosts: 59
    No way I buy this mess, maybe half a year past launch or when it goes F2P.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004

Yeah so I can get into a guild easier than a couple months later be the only one online from a 246 person guild because people stopped playing and they didn't bother to recruit more people since the guild leader left and didn't assign any ranks to be able to recruit new members eventually leading to the guild disbanding. I can't wait!

But yeah apart from that I'll have a look at it as I'm not really playing anything seriously right now.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by gonewild
    and why not play wow which is looking far superior and plays a lot better

:D

Why? Because wow looks worse, combat is worse, is casual and noob heaven, have LFR raids, has boring and easy dungeons, has no housing .. and much more things :)

Obviously you are not target audience of Wildstar ... TBC, Vanila WoW players are and another mmorpg gamers who seeks gear grind mmorpg with big ass raids :) 

And you know what I love about Wildstar the most? :D Developers actually love exclusivity. In wow Blizzard create content and raids so everyone even their grandmothers can see and beat them. In Wildstar, if you dont have enought time, or enought skill, you are not supposed to beat the content. Easy :)

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

I felt absolutely no spark of excitement playing wildstar, the art style was nice, but thats about it.

I'll personally be passing, it just felt like i had been there and done that, and i didn't particularly enjoy combat.

happy for those people that'll really enjoy this though :) I guess It's better then most releases we've had these past years.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    DDO is far superior to WoW and it doesn't have nearly as many people playing it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

Obviously you are not target audience of Wildstar ... TBC, Vanila WoW players are and another mmorpg gamers who seeks gear grind mmorpg with big ass raids :)

Wildstar, I have played Vanilla WoW. I knew Vanilla WoW. Vanilla WoW was a friend of mine. Wildstar, you're no Vanilla WoW.

Originally posted by jdnyc

Wildstar, I have played Vanilla WoW. I knew Vanilla WoW. Vanilla WoW was a friend of mine. Wildstar, you're no Vanilla WoW.

By vanila wow I mean hard raids :) You know, vanila wow was crap besides that, bugs, etc. 

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Agree 100%

Wildstar is no where near as fun as vanilla WoW was.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450

6 months ago  - I figured I would get Wildstar and no ESO

2 months ago  - after playing ESO beta figured I would get both.

Present day  - having played both betas I will only be getting ESO.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322
    Originally posted by Quazal.A

like poster above, I will be buying as soon as.

Whilst i see lots of hate for this (and eso) the fact is this game doesn't take itself serious and that i like about it. but yep ill be in as soon released

ill only buy it if their is nothing better to play.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I'm confident that wildstar at one stage will become f2p or b2p.
    I'm willing to wait until that change happens.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

I'm confident that wildstar at one stage will become f2p or b2p.
    I'm willing to wait until that change happens.

GL ... you could wait 5-10 years :) tho

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Nope, first i need to know how much ingame cash will be needed for buying sub. This game is not worth subscription.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Nitth I'm confident that wildstar at one stage will become f2p or b2p. I'm willing to wait until that change happens.
    GL ... you could wait 5-10 years :) tho

I'm thinking 6 months -> 2 years.
    Imagine all the bug fixes and content added by then. :)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• nightscarnightscar Member Posts: 31

Whats Wildstar?

;)

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by nightscar

Whats Wildstar?

;)

Wildstar? More like "Wildstart"

You know, because the launch is going to be rough? GET IT?? SEE WHAT I DID THERE???

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Nope, it doesn't appeal to me.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• maxjammaxjam Member UncommonPosts: 44

Nope.

I was lucky enough to get into beta this past weekend and as its still under NDA will keep my opinions to myself.  In short though, I was looking forwards to it but will now instead give it a wide berth.