Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They made the starter Island's optional.

Comments

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Originally posted by gotha
    Its a good last minute move.  But a problem like the starter islands should have been solved a long long time a go.  

You just can't please some people.

• SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204

Holy fuck these guys get shit done fast.  Seriously.  Most games, if the game has problems three months before release, there's little chance in hell those problems are getting fixed.  This team just keeps steamrolling every complaint, one after another.

God, I hope they can be convinced to fix/remove the soft-cap system.  I will shed tears of joy.  Even more if we can clamp down further on add-on capabilities so we don't have any add-ons required for the highest level of competitive play.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Making things optional is allways good...

I think the main problem with starter islands was the fact that people had so few abbilities and did niether understand combat, nor understand many other things on their path....   I dont advise new players to pass on them... 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Its a good last minute move.  But a problem like the starter islands should have been solved a long long time a go.  

I know right the game isn't even out yet and people still bitch.........

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Even tho i didnt like the starter area that much i will explore them anyway , about collision detection i do like it but it can also cause problems , hope it doesnt get a big performance hit for adding it.
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by rygard49

Originally posted by spizz
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    Originally posted by spizz
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by skyline385
    Another important point is that Collision Detection just got put in. I think that's a big deal.

Collision detection with NPCs

That's important. Otherwise someone is going to read that and tell his guild and blah blay blah "they lied, they said they put in Collision Detection" while they fight in cyrodiil.

Hopefull they dont introduce collision detection in cyrodiil pvp, imagine massive battles and you "bump" on every player...nah. It is good what they are doing.

Collision detection is hugely important in PvP.  It gives purpose to "tank" type characters and adds another layer of tactics to the game.

Yep, it was pretty cool literally being able to "hold the line" in WAR and the original Lineage.

A line of tanks with DPS and healers behind them.

Formations and tactics actually have meaning that way, rather than the standard "Zerg the healers first!" tactics.

I see what you mean and this has positive but aswell negative points.

One of the negaative points is that  you cant move at all and your own players are blocking the own movement, especially in a pvp area where 2000 players are around and 200 players are visible.

We will see, but I dont think they will implement this. NPC and PVE is a different story and thats great.

If this would be just pvp with a handfull people like in those mentioned mmos I could agree but ESO will offer one of the biggest mass pvp events in mmos history.

Yeah, collision detection in PvP would not work in an MMO like this.  First off, because it would kill whatever optimization they'd done with the game to eradicate lag.  You can't do PvP collision client-side, but you can do NPC collision client-side.  Plus you're less likely to run into performance issues dealing with that extra data in PvE, than you are in PvP with a hundred players running around on the screen.

I would never trade the high performance of the current PvP, for a novelty feature like collision detection (especially when the games combat isn't completely integrated to take advantage of something like formations and collision.)

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by gobla
    Now all that's needed is for them to add the faction unlock and Imperial race as in-game rewards and I might actually be interested. 

You go ahead and wait on that... While the rest of us are playing 8P

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Good. More starter island chests for me :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

Took them long enough.

I hope they listen to the RIGHT feedback. If they reduce travel time in RvR because people who have never played RvR start whining... well this game will sink. Same if they unlock factions. They're already done too many compromises to take the game away from its original DAoC vision. Any more will break it.

Same for bonus xp for grouping (they need to make that more obvious, I think).

Originally posted by Iselin
    Good. More starter island chests for me :)

Ha ha!  So true.  And those resources... On the last day of the stress test, I ended up in a starter area with basically no one else in my server (at least in my zone.)  I was running into iron ore and maple logs everywhere.  Think I walked out of the starter zone with ~150 of each.

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I will play the starter islands and explore their are hidden quests,one or two,

I want to saver every  moment of ESO.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I think the only thing  you need to perform at the island is the single step of the main story quest...  

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by cura
    Another important point is that Collision Detection just got put in. I think that's a big deal.

Yep, good news. Now they should put it in for pvp too

That might cause too much lag/issues.

What the fuck is the point of collision detection if its not in PvP?

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

I find this a bit funny.    If all people had to complain about the game was the starter zone lockouts....    Why not let them complain till closer to launch about it and then have that fixed so they have nothing else small to find to complain about.

People complained that the imperial race was not in game so what did they do, they held off on the CE release date till as long as they could.  

Keep people focused on small complaints till launch and they wont find any other small complaints to complain about till launch.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Indeed. Collision detection doesn't matter in PVE, it's in PVP where it matters.

I like that they have added it in, if it's true, but they added it to the wrong game mode in my opinion.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272

to all of you happy that you can skip the starter islands ask yourselves...

1. how many skill points are you going to miss

2. why did zeni also increase the mob difficulty starting at level 5

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by -aLpHa-

I just glanced a post on reddit that talked about the starter island being removed on the PST.

Quote:

Starter islands no more? by GrimdarkRosein elderscrollsonline
    [–]inx_n 41 points 5 hours ago
    Collision detection with NPCs just got put in.
    You can also now skip the starter islands and go straight to the first city in your area. You can port back to starter islands if you want.
    Mob difficulty increase slightly starting at level 5.
    Buffs and nerfs to class abilities
    Fixed an issue where many abilities were not properly obeying line of sight rules.

Interesting move from Zenimax Online, i am curious if this is a consequence of the negative reviews the tutorial islands got.

They listened. Well done. For Wildstars sake I hope they follow suit.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek

Three.  2 from Skyshards and one for finishing the starter quest

Because they hate noobs? ...final answer.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• eindinblocheindinbloch Member Posts: 60

Optional starter island is interesting, but they added collision detection?? They might have just won me over completely :)

It really sounds like they're putting a big effort into making this game feel more like a living, breathing world and less like a glorified chat room that most MMOs end up being.  I'm liking this more and more every time I hear about it.

Keep it up Zenimax!

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644

Because we asked for it.  We said mobs were too easy... so they make them harder.

We say the starting island is boring, so we can now skip it.

We say melee combat is too floaty, so they add the weapon swing pause, more blood, and collision detection.

The problem now is what if it causes problems for the stress test.  What if some of these things are determined not feasible in the stress test because of it causing a performance hit.  Personally if it's going to cause other problems, I don't want it.  If it works, that is fine.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

I really dont care about the starter Islands, I wont skip them anyway and for me it was not really a need. But the other things they are working on or changed are great. And it is amazing that it is done in such a short time.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

When I played the beta, the starter isle had an "early out" from the get-go. At any point after receiving the quest to recuse islanders, you could go back and say, "I'm ready to leave." without rescuing a single soul. That was back in... July?

It's good to see them fine tuning the game to some major complaints.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GrimeyeDGrimeyeD Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by djazzy
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa

Indeed. Collision detection doesn't matter in PVE, it's in PVP where it matters.

I like that they have added it in, if it's true, but they added it to the wrong game mode in my opinion.

Here is a qoute from a ESO dev:

"Having worked on games with player collision in PVP before, we found that it was far more valuable to offer players larger battles with better server and client performance than smaller battles with player collision due to the hit servers and clients take when implementing such a feature.  That’s not to say we didn’t consider it at one time and while it is always interesting to put collision in a PVP game, when you’re dealing with masses of players it becomes more of a frustration point than a tactical advantage (speaking from personal experience trying to setup a shield wall behind a Keep door then watching players still find ways through it)."

Source