Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe - Wildstar beta impressions not very positive

Comments

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    The question is, they have brought it back ^^ but will it be difficult? They are aiming for that very same young market who have indeed not been allowed to experience and learn from challenging content (e.g you can literally run a 5 man blindfolded in wow with gear 2 tiers below max) so catch 22, or will they be have the courage of their convictions to fight off shareholders demands for max profits etc...

Its not just a question of difficulty but how interesting will the fights be, how varied will they be, how innovative will they be etc. We wont know till we get there and try them out. Certainly Carbine has enough former WoW and other devs on hand that can come up with fun designs and hopefully they understand the difference between hard/challenging and punishing.

Originally posted by Ice-Queen
    Originally posted by Omali Some of you need to stop acting like a person shot your parents just because they didn't like something that you do. Considering the outbursts here over an entertainer on Youtube, I'd hate to see how some of you react to things in life that have actual meaning.
    It's sad when someone takes negative feedback for a video game so personally. I honestly don't know how they get by in life being so overly sensitive and heartbroken from feedback.  Do they rant and cry and rage in real life if someone doesn't share their opinions?

Because its not informed feedback. Its the equivalent of complaining about a restaurant that youve never ate at before having just looked at their menu. Or if you just tried one of their dishes and assume everything else they have to offer looks and tastes exactly like that.

If someone got to level 20 and then posted negative feedback saying "well I saw the capital city, dungeons, adventures, did some pvp, explored the world, and ive decided that the game sucks because it promised X but only delivered Y" then that would be informed feedback. Watch some of those players on Twitch that have level 27 characters and what not. THEY give informed feedback as to the state of the game and quality of the content. Angry Joe does not or he simply doesnt play long enough to become informed. Simple proof is in his turn around on TESO. One he played it long enough to see what it has to offer he all of a sudden started to be impressed.

And if you were to say that the game needs to be impressive from the immediate start then I would say two things, 1) both TESO and WS are not that impressive from the start and 2) its the equivalent of wanting a car to be totally impressive when all youve done is driven it in a parking lot. Sometimes it takes a drive down the street or highway to see the big picture.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by keithian

I find his reviews both here and ESO whether he likes them or not are very juvenile and unprofessional and his little brat posse behind him only makes it worse. Why anyone cares what he thinks is beyond me.  

I couldn't have said it better myself. 

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Wasn't Angry Joe the one who mega-hyped Guild Wars 2?
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by AzurePrower
    Wasn't Angry Joe the one who mega-hyped Guild Wars 2?

That could be said about almost any game journalist, youtuber, blogger and generally any ifamer out there looking for some buzz on their site.  Virtually no one spoke negatively of GW2.  Most declared it as the game that will change the industry forever.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    I can't really take the video seriously as something that might influence my view of the game for one simple reason....the douche sitting next to Joe. Why? I am sorry but if someone totally uninterested in a game sat next to me looking over my shoulder the whole time, my experiance with a  game would be completetly different.  How do you get immersed or engaged in a game if you have someone next to you spouting pointless bs...
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    who cares about Angry Joe? :D Not me really
  • RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    MikeB used to do really good mmo videos, what happened with that anyone know?
  • BacchiraBacchira Member Posts: 50

Obviously every game is not for everyone.

Personally, I loved every minute I played and I so wish I could still log in!

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187

I don't understand why people pay so much attention to this Angry Joe kid. Never heard of him before and after watching his videos, I see nothing remotely special about his reviews.

His opinions mean absolutely nothing to me. My own opinion about a game will always be #1

• jenseajensea Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Rzep
    MikeB used to do really good mmo videos, what happened with that anyone know?

edit: oh, that MikeB :)

• MamasGunMamasGun Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Ruien

I installed the beta. Started playing and was about 2 hours in it. Didnt like it but just couldnt put my finger on why. My 10 year old son walked in and looked at the game. He turned to me and said, is that for me?

Uninstalled.

I can only wonder what he thought after you uninstalled Wildstar and logged back into WoW...

On the topic, I don't like Angry Joe.  I've watched a ton of his videos, and maybe chuckled at a line or two, but overall- he's kinda annoying.  If people won't play Wildstar 'cos Angry Joe said so- then I guess i need to thank him... probably don't need those types of people so early in the community...

I second this:

Angry Joe -  beta impressions not very reliable

Loves: SMITE, WildStar, Project Zomboid, PSO2, DCUO,

Worst Online Communities: WoW/WoD(the OG MMO Trolls), DayZ/WarZ, SMITE/LoL/DOTA, EVE Online, APB
    "I’m ready for
    All the comparisons
    I think it’s dumb and it’s embarrassing
    I’m switching off
    No longer listening
    I’ve had enough of persecution and conditioning
    Maybe it’s instinct- We’re only animal"
    - Lily Allen, Sheezus

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by SickSadWorld

I installed the beta. Started playing and was about 2 hours in it. Didnt like it but just couldnt put my finger on why. My 10 year old son walked in and looked at the game. He turned to me and said, is that for me?

Uninstalled.

I can only wonder what he thought after you uninstalled Wildstar and logged back into WoW...

that did make me laugh :-)

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by skyline385

Uninstalled.

roflmao lol so funny XD XD XD 

The game is for kids because of its graphics, geddit guise?

Your comedy award is on its way, Ruien

Laugh all you want. Its a true story. /shrug

So you want a game you are not ashamed to play. Or a game that does hamper on your image to others.

If there was no one to watch you play would that make the game better?

Seems like a strange criteria to enjoy a game, but maybe a lot of people feel the same ways.

If the game feels childish then even though games are childish, it makes it embarassing for them to play, or feel like a waste of time.

Any video games is basically an escape. Same with movies. It helps to take people to a place away from their real lives for entertainment (except for some more serious movies).

And mmos are really for people that maybe do not realize this is designed for those that want to escape reality. Its designed to fulfill the needs of those that do not want to engage in real life to enjoy their real life hence the long grinds. The success of mmos and long grinds is unfortunately designed for depressed people. Depressed people make grindy mmos successful. Therefore it makes sense a grindy mmo to be more designed as something more fantasy than realistic in a sand box mmos.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Dissapointed in the starting area of Wild star. But its probably done quickly.

Im surprised mmos dont bother as much with turning a regular character into a hero. Rather than starting with something you already know is a hero, only have context as their story, but start their jounrey with actions that did not shape them into who they are.

For example a warrior would be a hero based on combat. A warrior did not become a warrior from not doing non combat tasks. Sure there are many aspects to training... but its an introduction, so they need to choose something important to emphasis the character and bring out that hero.

A medic obviously saving people with some medical break through. Or on the field, and saving soldeirs.

Such a simple way to start but would be more fitting and better. Just my opinion.

All the extra content of mmos that take away from the main role of the character in combat can be a bad thing. Those are meant to be compliments to the game. The main focus is combat and different variations of combat.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by Big-Cronk
    Honestly, Angry joe is kind of a sub-par critic in my opinion

Honestly Angry Joe isn't a critic at all. And i don't trust anyone who drools on Titanfall...

• LuteFiddleLuteFiddle Member Posts: 8
    I feel like Angry Joe was more credible in the past. Or maybe I was more naïve in the past. Lately if I watch anything from him at all, it's because I like watching people rant on camera about stuff.
  • BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

Watching this video made me want to play even more! Hopefully I get a beta key =)

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Jorendo

Wrong title, guess you didn't watch the entire movie he posted. He clearly says that game has its strong and minor points. It's just not the game for him he says. He doesn't say its a bad game, he says it's not a game he would be playing. Seeing he is gamer with his own taste he has his preferences. He also never really been a fan of subscription based MMORGP's yet that doesn't make them bad either. His angry army has plenty of people who are gonna play Wildstar. So if this was a attempt to show that Wildstar was gonna be bad, i sugest you watch the entire movie again and listen to what he says.

It wasn't super positive nor negative. But hey that's his job, to give his opinion and frankly im glad he atleast is honest and doesn't hype the sh#t out of games like so many other people do with TESO and Wildstar. He mentioned the strong points of the game and why it would be a good game, and he mentioned the problems he has with the game that might also be a problem for you. He isn't like IGN or gamespot who cover these games for many weeks in a row with only super positive news (like how COD is such a new game since last months edition). Listen to what he say, know what he is (a critic/reviewer) and understand that his opinion is personal and that he isn't only gunning the game down.

100% agree. he had both positive and negative things to say, not sure why people are taking this as a reason for it to fail or he's chatting out his ass. I first read the comments and was expecting something much more worse when starting to watch the video, but it was a decent first impression of the game, tbh made me want to play it more.

Not sure whats up with people on here, they seem to love blowing things out of proportion so much. "The games not for me, but will be awesome for other people. Has some great new ideas added on top of the traditional mmo formula" some how translated into "This game sucks, defo gonna fail. I wouldn't go near it. F2p in few months" just the impression i get from looking at these replies :/ 

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Jafotron
    Originally posted by Jorendo

Wrong title, guess you didn't watch the entire movie he posted. He clearly says that game has its strong and minor points. It's just not the game for him he says. He doesn't say its a bad game, he says it's not a game he would be playing. Seeing he is gamer with his own taste he has his preferences. He also never really been a fan of subscription based MMORGP's yet that doesn't make them bad either. His angry army has plenty of people who are gonna play Wildstar. So if this was a attempt to show that Wildstar was gonna be bad, i sugest you watch the entire movie again and listen to what he says.

It wasn't super positive nor negative. But hey that's his job, to give his opinion and frankly im glad he atleast is honest and doesn't hype the sh#t out of games like so many other people do with TESO and Wildstar. He mentioned the strong points of the game and why it would be a good game, and he mentioned the problems he has with the game that might also be a problem for you. He isn't like IGN or gamespot who cover these games for many weeks in a row with only super positive news (like how COD is such a new game since last months edition). Listen to what he say, know what he is (a critic/reviewer) and understand that his opinion is personal and that he isn't only gunning the game down.

100% agree. he had both positive and negative things to say, not sure why people are taking this as a reason for it to fail or he's chatting out his ass. I first read the comments and was expecting something much more worse when starting to watch the video, but it was a decent first impression of the game, tbh made me want to play it more.

Not sure whats up with people on here, they seem to love blowing things out of proportion so much. "The games not for me, but will be awesome for other people. Has some great new ideas added on top of the traditional mmo formula" some how translated into "This game sucks, defo gonna fail. I wouldn't go near it. F2p in few months" just the impression i get from looking at these replies :/ 

Yeah. Having done a full watch of Angry Joe's video. That's the impression I got. Seems people didn't watch it all the way.

But that's okay. Better to counter the hype train so people don't go in with unrealistic expectations, only to be disappointed later. Better to be pleasantly surprised.

How ever, all that matters is if the people playing the game are having fun. If you're not having fun. No need to stay.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22

Let's see if he flops like he did with ESO.  Based on his comments at the end doesn't really sound like it though but who knows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMfgz-izFIA&list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ&feature=c4-overview

I think that was a fairly honest and well rounded preview.

AJ praised the WS devs in numerous areas for innovation and commented a number of times that he liked what they had done.

He was also honest enough to comment on the starting zones being a little "meh" in their design and also in the content of those quests...again I think that is a fair critiscism.

Ultimately I took from the video that he was positive about the game, but recognised that this type of themepark MMORPG is not his cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that imo.

Driz

Originally posted by ImperialSun
    Originally posted by LisaFlexy22 Let's see if he flops like he did with ESO.  Based on his comments at the end doesn't really sound like it though but who knows. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMfgz-izFIA&list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ&feature=c4-overview

I think that was a fairly honest and well rounded preview.

AJ praised the WS devs in numerous areas for innovation and commented a number of times that he liked what they had done.

He was also honest enough to comment on the starting zones being a little "meh" in their design and also in the content of those quests...again I think that is a fair critiscism.

Ultimately I took from the video that he was positive about the game, but recognised that this type of themepark MMORPG is not his cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that imo.

Driz

It wasnt a preview though, it was just his immediate impression which is rather useless. The point of a preview is not to determine if its the previewers cup of tea. The point of a preview is to get far enough in a game to adequately size it up and convey that to the public so they can determine if its their cup of tea. If all you spend is 15 minutes on an mmorpg then what can you comment about? The tutorial levels? Interface, sound/music, settings? 15 minutes in an mmorpg is the equivalent of checking out a car in a show room and sitting in it a few times. Thats not a test drive.

• seanrox123xseanrox123x Member UncommonPosts: 3
    You guys have to take everything with a grain of salt. You have to remember the surge of F2P and world of casualcraft has changed the viewpoint of many on a "good mmo". And when it costs monthly, they all come into it expecting something revolutionary if they have to pay per month to play. If they can't get level 20 in 5 hours played, and there is an indication of difficulty, they run away. "I'm not gonna pay for something I won't be good at in a week" logic. Its cool. The game is setup to be more "hardcore" than the average mmo. We want the more dedicated, skilled gamers to play this game.

Not trying to step on any toes here, but from my background playing beta for vanilla wow and getting through AQ / Naxx in vanilla and through SWP in BC.. This stuff is expected. We want a higher skill based population anyway. Then we don't have to replace raiders so often.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by shamall
    I've been in the beta for Wildstar for a few months now. In that time I got all the classes up to level 10 then stuck with the spellslinger till level 15. After that I just couldn't play it anymore. It just felt too much like I was just leveling another character in WoW. Even with all the differences between the two games I just could not shake this feeling. Maybe it was the art style or the quests I don't know but I realized that this game is not for me. 

I feel the same way, in addition to the fact that the telegraph combat system is super lame and boring to me. If the combat was more fun, I could probably stomach the rest of it.. but it's just not.

This discussion has been closed.