Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Things I DON'T want to see in my next MMORPG.

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    1. Cashshop
    2. Blind Walls, natural barriers is what I like to see more of.
    3. Forced Grouping.
    4. Open World PVP (unless it's optional)
    5. Mostly Combat Oriented
    Just one question to OP:  Why no tutorial?

You don't want players new to this genre to get a better understanding or introduction to it's gameworld? I just can't think that way with a game genre like MMORPG's which is played by millions of people all over the world. For us experiance MMORPG players things at the beginning might seem boring but we have to remember it's because we're already experiance'd in what a tut. would tell to new players.

• 1. Lobby-based PvE/PvP with teleportation.
    2. Loading screens between zones.
    3. Lack of challenge throughout the entire game except for some raids.
    4. PvP system based on having only two factions.
    5. Terrible combat feel / animations.

• cnutempcnutemp Member UncommonPosts: 230

1.dailies

2. quest hubs

3. dailies

4. quest hubs

5. dailies

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

1. Instances

2. Linear dungeons that you "run".

3. Tacked on PvP.

4. Quest based leveling/systemized quests with !! over NPC heads

5. Lack of bonuses given to people in groups to reward them and encourage socializing.

Bonus: Lack of death penalty.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

in no particular order

1. fantasy theme(boring)

2. same old classes(warrior,rogue,mage etc)

3. levels

4. teleporters(lfg etc)

5. telegraphs

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

1. Levels

2. Combat lobby

3. Convenience

4. Quests on rails

5. Disposable content

6. Trivial economy

7. Combat as the only meaningful activity

8. Gear as the only meaningful possession

9. Magic that is important only as it relates to combat (see 7)

10. Endgame

I could go on...

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

1.  Fantasy setting, particularly high fantasy.  If I never play another high fantasy game in my life, it'll be too soon.

2.  End-game.  I want a game that never ends.

3.  Fast leveling.  It should take a long time to go up each level.

4.  Stupid, obnoxious players.  I'm sick and tired of the rude, immature jerks that inhabit all online games.  People need to grow up.

5.  Cash shops in sub games.  Make up your mind.  You are either a sub game or you're a free game.  Pick one.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190

no add-ons

no macros

no gear view from other players

no PvP

no achievements

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I'll go ahead and give my top 5

• To much focus on fast paced action combat
    • Linear exploration/progress (to few options when it comes to environment, zones and quests)
    • To much focus on end game
    • Environment/abilities/events conflicting with lore or common sense
    • Unexplorable and closed environment: Invisible walls, to many loading screens, useless panorama views etc

• imsoenthusedimsoenthused Member UncommonPosts: 65

1. Subscription

2. Slow, tab targeted, horrible combat.

3. Vertical progression

4. PvP based balancing. 

5. hero of the universe story, we can't all be "the one"

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

1. Small game world with loading screens between zones,teleporting unless is a skill available to certain classes and requiring ingredients and even that only to a few locations,main cities. Fast travel should take place in game world,horse/gryphon and while faster than running or riding,it would still take time. Boring and bland worlds lacking any colour.
    2. Grinding (killing huge numbers of npcs over and over) just to hide the lack of content, especially in a p2p game
    3. Same classes/armor for both factions - it kills any faction pride
    4. Raids
    5. Bad combat animations taken from a 2000 game, limited and boring races and classes in the name of balance

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    #6 Cash to Gold conversion system - It's the very definition of p2w. You buying gold to buy super rare item of the AH is not ok!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • steusssteuss Member UncommonPosts: 130
    OP, i totally agree! Thank you for making this post. I agree, and hope to god Devs do these things.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    • Class restrictions
    • Level-based progression
    • Elves
    • Raiding
    • Tank/aggro-based combat system

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

1. Fast leveling - Just makes the entire experience worthless
    2. Easy solo gameplay - 2 mobs at same time should make you uneasy.
    3. Shared XP. Wildstar reminds me how awful this is to just run around and tag everything everyone is fighting to get a share of xp/loot.
    4. Premade stories - Give us the tools to make the story, don't lock us into the same one. (this includes linear quests leading me around which is a big fail)
    5. Static world - I don't want to log into the same place and see the same thing every time.
    6. Instances - Nothing ruins the game world more than locking people into little single player with friends boxes.

• PalaziousPalazious Member Posts: 162

1) Quest progression - have optional quest for some cool items... no npc markers and make them take awhile (weeks) to be able to be completed.  Upon completion you get the item and only a tiny  (if any) bit of exp.

2) Instances

3) Lack of rare/named mobs that drop cool stuff. 

4) Vendors that don't sell to you what another player just sold them.

5) Voice cut scenes... if I want to watch a movie I'll go watch a movie.

6) Battlegrounds.  Keep PvP out in the conflict areas... don't encourage the players to farm battlegrounds for quick progression instead of adding to the  RvRvR

Palazious <The Vindicators> Darkfall
    Palazious r40, rr45 SW War
    Palazious 50 Pirate PoTBS
    Palazious 35 Sorcerer Vanguard
    Palazious 75 wizard EQ
    Paladori 50 Champion LOTRO
    Poppa Reaver bugged at rank15

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

Don't want to see.....this is easy for me:

1. Auction houses/mainly solo content. Get rid of the whole solo MMO chat room crap. No more auction houses, let the players decide where to meet to exchange goods face to face. Make content mostly group not soloable. Give xp bonuses for groups.

2. Easy mode crafting where one player can make everything solo. We need to bring back player economy, co-dependent crafting. You should only be able to master one craft. To make a suit of armor you should need to depend on a tailor and a leatherworker for some of the other items. A leatherworker should need a blacksmith to get buckles for his armor. You get the point. We should all need supply from each other in order to thrive, which also helps us do so. And make crafted equip the BEST in the game!

3. Everyone has the same buffs and can res. Stop this! Each class should have one rockin unique buff no others have, and it should be able to be cast on anyone. Remember Spirit of the Wolf in old EQ? Yes this means no fast travel as well.....selling SOW 1p! 

4. Crap pvp where there is no pride or reason to defend. We need realm pride in pvp/rvr ala Daoc. Give me persistent lands to defend, not the rotating crap like in GW2. The keep I defend today should be my home yesterday and tomorrow, even if the enemy takes it. But damnmit I should not need any other reason to defend it other than it is MINE. None of this "let them have it we can take it back" crap you hear in GW2. And no cross server crap, your side should be your side.

5. Fake roleplay servers. Give me a REAL roleplayer server like back in the day. Make a name like Kooldude453900roxxor and be banned from the server forever. Be an ass in general chat because you are a hater who loves to troll rper's? Buh-bye, banned. 

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    1. cash shop
    2. cut scenes
    3. voice overs
    4. quest guided leveling
    5. daily's, weekly's, monthly's ..
  • AvaglaorAvaglaor Member UncommonPosts: 25

1. Bad optimization. Server lag or fps issues even on high end pcs.

2. UI based combat. I want to see my character,animations,combat, not fighting with the UI and numbers.

3. Difficulty options. 

4. Gear > Skill.

5. Heavy CC and AoE at PvP. I'm just raging when i dont have the control of my character for a long time.

And many more, just the 5 fist that came in mind.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

[mod edit]

#3 Elfs, no more elfs and similar to elfs races. Thousand games are enough, spiky ear humanoids are not the pinnacle of human imagination, it is not that hard to do something more original.

That is basically all, so only 3.

Obviously they are the pinnacle of human imagination considering they have been in our imagination for over a thousand years. I pick elves in every mmo just to annoy people like you. :)

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Mr.Kujo

[mod edit]

#3 Elfs, no more elfs and similar to elfs races. Thousand games are enough, spiky ear humanoids are not the pinnacle of human imagination, it is not that hard to do something more original.

That is basically all, so only 3.

Obviously they are the pinnacle of human imagination considering they have been in our imagination for over a thousand years. I pick elves in every mmo just to annoy people like you. :)

Same here, having a fantasy MMO without elves would be like a Star Trek game without vulcans....and it has nothing to do with the ears. 

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • 5Luck5Luck Member UncommonPosts: 218

#1 Quest XP The XP generated from "doing the quest" as opposed to the XP from finishing the quest. I am sick of the majority of my XP coming from an action that is no way tied to charater useage. in other words talking to an NPC somehow became the pinical of char advancment. WTF?

#2 Classes. I grew up reading pick your own ending books. Yes Books and I have carried that through all my adventures and dispize being locked into choices for too many hours. I find myself playing starter areas over and over with difernt classes just feel like in doing something difernt.

#3 Gear based stats. I find charater stats much more appealing and find being able to change my stats albeit not instantly but fairly quickly should be able to make a large impact on char preformance.

#4 Auction Houses

#5 Slower then average charater speed. When Im traveling or exploring or even just hitting a bank If I can feel my char's "pacing" and it feels slow I am out. Thats a big one and its also a tough one as if the devs dont get this one just right not only is the game a mess but it can mess up other games as well.

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

1. Fantasy, high Fantasy... Sick of "sword and board" games. If it has to include "Fantasy" then do something like Palladium Rifts

2. "easy mode" - Just because I'm a casual player, and I mean real casual, I do not want to be able to max a character within 60 days at MY speed.

3. Quests telling me to grind. If I want to grind I'll do it without your permission.

4. Mobs that are "tough" should be tough. If it tells me that I am the same level I should have a 50/50 chance of winning and not be able to take several of them in one go without friends.

5. vendors who's sole purpose is a trash item dump. make them useful or simply get rid of them.

6. unified economy, I want to see an actual commodity difference. Damascus steel was limited to a region renowned for a reason

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

1. D&D fantasy. Sick of that generic crap in MMO's...single player games it's fine since you can have unique stories in any fantasy setting, but MMO's need more unique interesting worlds.

2. D&D classes. Is every MMO dev a D&D fanatic? They can't seem to get away from its rules. Make unique classes please. However, I'd prefer a few generic classes (Wildstar) to a million classes that are just reskins of mages (Rift). 

3. Quick Travel: No flying mounts and teleports are extremely rare. Make public transport like boats longer. Like SS Anne in pokemon, have something to do on the boat. 

4. Instanced PVP: If the game has arenas or battlegrounds or anything like that it should be visible in the regular world so we can cheer it like a sport at least. 

5. Stupid Quests that any NPC could do: I don't mind long elaborate and challenging quest lines, I don't mind some farmer asking me to kill wolves...however I don't want to pick up the farmers crops. The only person that should be picking up his crops is him or someone that is learning a farming tradeskill, not a warrior. 

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

• GuyClinchGuyClinch Member CommonPosts: 485

Most of you will be dead long before you get your dream MMO. MMOs are the most complicated and expensive game we have right now and the developers simply cannot make the game you guys want.  Sure Doom isn't exactly like Dishonored - but its not entirely different. Progress moves slowing in the gaming world.

Aim smaller:

Things I don't want to see:

Tab-Target combat

50 abilities on my screen.

20 mandatory Add ons.

A world the size of a postage stamp.

Stupid AI that can't even path right.

Static Mobs, Static quests, Static World.