Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: ESO vs Wildstar: NDA Free Edition

Comments

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Not a bad 'debate' but over such a thing as 'Which game is better?'...seems only to polarize the fanbois/haters of each.

It neither persuaded nor dissuaded my opinion on either game.

Wildstar = No

ESO = Uncertain

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    So who else is playing the best mmorpg to launch this year? Which is Destiny

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Originally posted by Zekiah

Neither. Been there done that. A hundred times.

Agreed i have not played the beta's but i watch alot of first impression videos on both games. I see nothing new in either one that would make me switch to them. If your playing WOW or GW2 or Rift, theres no reason to switch to one of these game. Only thing different in Wildstar is the sifi feel but it looks weak, ESO sorry but its just Skyrim online and Daoc with a monthly sub. And you can see all the focus went into pvp in ESO. Also all my mmo gaming friends say their not switching to any new mmo unless its something really new and its not in either game. I think all the hype for them is on sites like this. ESO having the famous ip will do better than Wildstar i think. The problem is these new mmo are giving you nothing new and alot of mmo players i know are starting to see this. Most are starting to believe that the smaller indie companies are the ones taking the risk and offering new things That big companies only see the bottom line and won't make any changes.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

No mmo has gotten boring faster than GW2 sadly. Their live updates is a fake way to added additional content except for the fact it's mostly temporary. I won't be going back to GW2 unelss they start making real expansions.

I tried both Wildstar and ESO - Wildstar was much more fun and a real mmo. ESO is trying to be different and cool, so if that's what you want, go for it it. But Wildstar is an MMO and does it right. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I don't really see the point of these segments.

It's brining nothing new to the discussion of either games. And all it's doing is adding fuel to an already ridiculous flame war. As others have already said, BOTH games can coexist. Part of what ruins some of these games is the ridiculous lengths fans go to slander / hate other games, because they somehow feel it threatens their own.

Neither of these games are competing for the same players. WildStar will capture the WoW fans, and they'll all have their own reasons for doing so. Some will think the game is completely fresh! When in reality it's more of the same, with a slightly updated combat system. Some will do it for the raids. Ultimately it doesn't really matter. WildStar is the game to play if you like the stats quo. If you only play MMOs for 'endgame', for raid-based, gear-gated, linear progression. That's the game for you.

Elder Scrolls is taking a different approach. It isn't 100% never before seen game mechanics. But no game this big can realistically do such. Many players enjoy it, many don't. The game is catering to those that actually want a game that plays differently. Not one that disguises more of the same. Having played both games, I can honestly say that ESO has much more in common w/ GW1&2 than WildStar does. It embraces many of the core philosophies from Anet and Mythic. It allows players to fully customize their characters. To experiment with a multitude of different builds. It also, hands down, has the best RvR-style combat on the market. It will not appeal to the WoW kids. It's not a game centered around instant gratification. It's more about making your own journey, and carving your own path. Something the Elder Scrolls series were founded on.

That said, let the forum wars continue. No one ever seems to get tired of this neverending cycle I suppose. See you all when the next batch of 'the next big thing!' gets announced.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Colt47
    Is there a point to even watching a fight over a stagnant oasis of carnival rides that we've all had the opportunity to ride before?

So what you are saying is that if someone has been to Universal Studios there is no reason for them ever to go to Disneyland or Six Flags?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Neither games are worth their box and subscription fees if I have to be completely honest.  But considering how tired I am of waiting for a new game, I'll pick one to dick around in until something else comes about.  It'll likely be Wildstar, as I found it much more fun than ESO.  Wildstar knows what it wants to be, Sci Fi setting with very silly overtones.  It's fun and funny and for the most part all of the systems within the game are very enjoyable.  ESO on the other hand can't decide if it wants to be an MMO or a multiplayer Skyrim where you happen to SEE other players but don't really interact with them for the most part unless you are killing them in PvP.  Overall lack of group play in games these days is absolutely abhorrent, it's like developers are making single player games but allowing you to play in a world populated by other players doing the same single player mission objectives JUST so they can say it's an MMO and charge you $15 a month. 
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Wildstar is real Mmorpg. Who cares that it doesnt bring anything super new? For me its good thing, I will always buy car with 4 wheels, eat pizza with cheese and tomato, not chcolate. All I wanted from mmorpg is does everything right and be fun. Thats wildstar :)
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by achesoma
    Wildstar combat is NOTHING like GW2. It's almost entirely twitch-based.

ESO, while I enjoy it overall, really needs combat polishing. I have to say I agree with its clunkiness issue.

I can say for a fact, I'll be playing both.

I disagree with the wildstar part.  It is very GW2 like especially early on.

But, IMO I see FFXIV being the winner so what do I care :P.  Note I haven't actually been able to play ESO personally yet.

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

only played wildstar for like 5 hours so far and eso like 15 . Before i was hyped way more into wildstar but after playing i wasnt realy impressed and it felt bit like a downgraded wow version , small things like npcs dont have any voice back like hello etc realy hope they add stuff like this before release. 

Eso i did have hard time at start but loving it alot now , it feels much fresher and realy excited to discover stuff in eso , wildstar on the other hand did feel very familiar to wow and i played that since release on and off.

So for me its eso handsdown will try out wildstar at release to but doubt i will stick around long.

• EndoRobotoEndoRoboto Member Posts: 275
    Seems like a lot of people are into ESO because it's the next MMO out. These peasantry are the ones who hop from game to game with each release never staying on one for too long.

I'm not giving either company a dime.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Such a shallow and pointless argument, typical flamebait crap from the mmorpg article "writers" to increase footfall on their website. Shame really because the discussion isn't too bad, but the provocative presentation is just sub-tabloid trash at it's ultimate worst!

Who will win, apple vs orange!.......give me a break...

I for one will play both, but as to which will be the better game? Thats for ME to decide, just as it is for every other free thinking gamer out there to decide for themselves.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Annekynn

Originally posted by Azzras

Originally posted by Annekynn  

Originally posted by nerovipus32 Wildstars graphics are a big turn off for me. I just can't get immersed in cartoony graphics. ESO is the game i will be playing.
      So by your logic realistic graphics = good game (regardless of gameplay or content) and cartoony graphics = bad game (regardless of gameplay or content) ? Oh you poor soul. You must be one of those that played Vanguard
    See, this is why I didn't get into what changed my mind about the game with you.

HE NEVER SAID GOOD GRAPHIICS = GOOD GAME.

He said he can't get immersed in cartoon world.  There is a big difference.

You keep white knighting the game, always quick to deflect any criticism.

Riddle me this:  Why should I leave WoW that my friends and I have played hundreds of hours of for a game that copies WoW in almost every way?  (and the devs take pride when people say WS copied WoW!)

Because it doesnt copy WoW. It improves upon it in every single regard. There is nothing in WoW right now that WS simply doesnt do better (from what weve seen upto level 29, still eager to see raiding). Those who just look at it from the outside think its just a copy of WoW as the graphics style is similar. Easy to make that mistake, and your loss for thinking thats all it is.

I stopped reading after your second sentence.  To improve upon something you must first copy it and then use that as your baseline.  So no matter how you want to spin it, it is a COPY of WoW improved upon or not is subjective as well.   It's all your opinion and you are a fanboi.  There's nothing wrong with that, we are all when it comes to something or other, but please keep in mind, others don't agree with you and that's perfectly fine as well.

I personally agree with the first guy you quoted.  The art style to me is terrible.  WoW looks better to me and I can't stand the cartoony world there either.  I can't stand how the game looks so does that mean its a bad game? No.  It simply means it's not for me.  

The great thing about life is, we don't all like the same things and it's obvious we don't agree with on WS.  I hope you enjoy your time in it. 

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by RagingOrangutan
    Originally posted by Azzras
    Originally posted by RagingOrangutan
    Originally posted by cprik
    snip

Wildstar looks thrown together?  WHAT?  It's been in development for over 8 years!  What par of the game looks thrown together?  You haven't even tried the beta!!  Have you even seen the game?  Your bias is showing big time.

I don't see how you can even argue that Wildstar isn't groundbreaking enough either.

Bringing back 40 man raids.

Bringing back attunements.

World Bosses, not just max level bosses either! 

Heroic quests that you can't actually solo.

Bringing back difficult content, instead of the

Bringing back difficult content, instead of the current plethora of faceroll.

Paths system.

Housing system with furniture!

40 man warplot

Ditched the whole elves & dwarves fantasy shit for a change.

Adventure system

Unique combat system that requires skill shots, and dodging.

CREDD to potentially allow people to play for free.

3 modes of progression!  Solo/Small group, Raid, and PvP!

And I am probably forgetting some shit! 

Seriously, how much more groundbreaking could you want?

What could/should they add?

Bringing things back that HAVE BEEN DONE BY OTHERS is NOT groundbreaking.

Really, even if they are dead in the past?  Sounds, groundbreaking to me....  There are plenty of those features that are unique to Wildstar as well.  I guess those don't count either though, huh... I added some more stuff to the list too.

What does it lack to be groundbreaking then?  It's about as groundbreaking as possible whilst still being an MMO!   I can't think of an MMO that has gone further from the norm personally.

To start with, groundbreaking means it's the first time it's been done.   Besides, that list of yours has some errors.  It's pretty obvious you never played EQ2 because the heroic quests you mention as well as housing w/ furniture and that game has been around for, what is it?   Oh yeah, ten years.  Also, SWTOR has has world bosses since release.   EQ had a high of 72 man raids if I remember correctly so 40 man raids are nothing.  I'm sure if I looked at the rest of the list most have been done over and over in other games.

Wildstar is a WoW clone with a couple extra abilities, and dodging isn't new either.  Not going to count how many games that has been in.   So, it may not be groundbreaking, but if you like it, who cares?  Play it and have a blast.  It doesn't matter what Johnny Rottencrouch thinks unless you are looking for some sort confirmation, and I doubt that's the case.

• Well... since this is a PvP post...Let me sum up the choices much easier.

ESO = Has Large Open PvP area for you to fight in, most similar to DAOC and Guild War 2 WvW area.

Wildstar = Battlegrounds, Most similar to WoW, Rift,SWTOR.....

If you liked the open pvp area's like DAOC, play ESO

If you liked Battlegrounds like WoW, play Wildstar.

Pretty simple

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    I think both games are terrible at early levels. I wish devs would learn that the early game is just as important as end game. I hear both are better later on but right now I don't know if I'll be playing either of them.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I´ve tried both in BETA...

...and since there is NDA, all i can say is that i´ll be buying ESO.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I dont agree with Gareths view of what mmorpg's should be when it comes to content: Instanced/lobby endgame. The more a mmorpg has open world open content the better it is in my eyes.

The current standard themepark style instanced end game is anti social, people sit in main cities waiting in que with their guildies after the leveling is done, or use the group finder tool for a dungeon blitz where no one says a word the whole time, unless someone somehow manages to screw up then they call him names and tells him to frack off. No element of surprises, no chance for random encounters, no excitement, just running after the reward at 100% efficiency.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Dogblaster
    Wildstar is real Mmorpg. Who cares that it doesnt bring anything super new? For me its good thing, I will always buy car with 4 wheels, eat pizza with cheese and tomato, not chcolate. All I wanted from mmorpg is does everything right and be fun. Thats wildstar :)

Wildstar is a real MMO.  ESO is a real MMORPG.  I would say that is the essential difference between the two.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I'm with Chris on this one, I suspect ESO will do better in the market.

Huge IP, a rather massive advertising campaign (I can't visit a site these days without seeing an ESO banner) and it doesn't have NCSoft attached to it - which means a lot for all the people they burned with CoH's shutdown and rotten treatment of Paragon Studios.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Xsorus

Well... since this is a PvP post...Let me sum up the choices much easier.

ESO = Has Large Open PvP area for you to fight in, most similar to DAOC and Guild War 2 WvW area.

Wildstar = Battlegrounds, Most similar to WoW, Rift,SWTOR.....

If you liked the open pvp area's like DAOC, play ESO

If you liked Battlegrounds like WoW, play Wildstar.

Pretty simple

Fail. You forgot Wilstar's 40player Warplots and "true" OWPVP.  Or maybe you didn't forget.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299

As niave as it seems, graphics play a huge role in mmo's for me these days. I have enough cartoon-like graphic mmo's under my belt. For this reason, I'm unable to take Wildstar serious and won't be trying it.

ESO may need some work still, but the Cyrodiil pvp is the closest to DAOC styled rvr since DAOC so it will hold me for quite some time alone.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • WolfsheadWolfshead Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by plescure
    also they are charging £50 for ESO!!! WTF!

Serious get over yourself all MMO cost alot at start WoW, EQ2, AoC, GW, GW2 serious do think it should be cheap for £50 is alot for CE how much do CE cost when you buy at a release of new MMO or expansion????

Do you really think WildStar CE will be cheap then you have dont know much company dont work for charity and need to get money from somewhere.

• SirAoSSirAoS Member Posts: 203
    I wont be buy ESO anymore because they decided not to go cross platform. Big mistake to me. I am a PS4 player now and to think that i only play with ps4 users bothers me. I wonder, what if the population on the ps4 starts dieing but the pc/mac is still popin? I have to buy a nice computer, re buy ESO and restart to play the game with people. I dont feel the security i do with Final Fantasy XiV. They made it cross platform and not only do i feel more security i can play with my friends that play on computers.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by MysticStyleS
    I wont be buy ESO anymore because they decided not to go cross platform. Big mistake to me. I am a PS4 player now and to think that i only play with ps4 users bothers me. I wonder, what if the population on the ps4 starts dieing but the pc/mac is still popin? I have to buy a nice computer, re buy ESO and restart to play the game with people. I dont feel the security i do with Final Fantasy XiV. They made it cross platform and not only do i feel more security i can play with my friends that play on computers.

I thought it was cross platform.  Sad to hear it isn't.  I imagine this has more to do with MS/Xbox than Sony/PS though.  Since as you pointed out FFXIV did it.