Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dynamic weather and seasons

JogobogosJogobogos Member UncommonPosts: 172
We all love new content and unique features! Today, Black Eye Games is proud to share some details on our upcoming MMO Gloria Victis. We've been hard at work, burning the midnight oil, consuming mass amounts of coffee and living off of pizz
a and what ever that one guy left in the fridge. One thing that always seemed lacking in other games was an amazing Seasons system. Why not call it a “weather” system? Because it's much more then some rain and sunshine mixed with a cloudy day. In real combat weather and the time of the year plays an important part in planning your attacks. Gloria Victis will do the same. Not only will our advanced system bring fog, snow, rain, and blizzards but dynamic effects on your character. Here is a brief overview of what is planned:
-Weather affects and impacts the effectiveness of ranged classes and attacks.
-Some creatures only appear at night and vice versa.
-Fully dynamic lighting in villages.
-Weather and Seasons play a role in the lifestyle of NPCs.
-Movement and status changes for characters depending on the current environment.

20 MORE PHOTOS

20 MORE PHOTOS

20 MORE PHOTOS

20 MORE PHOTOS

20 MORE PHOTOS

Oh, by the way there is the "Indie of the Year" contest over on Indie DB. If you think we deserve it then you can vote for us at - http://www.indiedb.com/games/gloria-victis

Comments

• ElijarhElijarh Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Gonna keep my eye on this one.. :D
  • Montana-drMontana-dr Member Posts: 10
    Waiting for the next KS campaign.
  • benseinebenseine Member UncommonPosts: 293
    A weather system that will affect combat and sieges. How cool :)
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    People working back towards Ryzom tech. This actually makes me happy.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Damn, it sure is fun to play in fog. Turn of your lantern you you are hard to spot for ppl trying to kill you. Really fun :)
  • Greeve11Greeve11 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    This is all very interesting and certainly compliments the realism that you guys seem to be striving for, but the question I had in mind is; how frequently do the seasons change? I'm unaware of any information given about this and am genuinely curious.
    Originally posted by Greeve11
    This is all very interesting and certainly compliments the realism that you guys seem to be striving for, but the question I had in mind is; how frequently do the seasons change? I'm unaware of any information given about this and am genuinely curious.

Yeah me too. I wouldn't mind if it was like the RL seasons :D 3 monts fighting in snowy conditions. Farmers stockpiling food to sell at increased prices during winter, stuff like that :)

• Greeve11Greeve11 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Originally posted by benseine
    Originally posted by Greeve11

Yeah me too. I wouldn't mind if it was like the RL seasons :D 3 monts fighting in snowy conditions. Farmers stockpiling food to sell at increased prices during winter, stuff like that :)

Absolutely! And how neat would it be if storms would move across zones? These are the kinds of things I think devs can look into for making a more in depth game with lots of flavor, which is important (To me, anyway) in this day and age. Innovate!

Regardless though, this feature is exciting enough and I'd love to know how else it can alter gameplay depending on conditions.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Great stuff, how about having immersive mechanisms where you can predict the weather and plan strategies, see storms coming from a high area, a wind chime with sounds to indicate direction that affects arrow volleys, a primitive barometer, a npc with secrets of prediction?
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    How about we shut down the pipe dreams and actually add some content to the game? All there is to do now is kill npc, and pvp. The forums are full of people crying to have pvp removed entirely. This game is really not deserving of it's hype status. They put out a basic combat engine, and nothing else and now it's shadow has fallen over several promising games. They don't even seem to be sure what type of game they are making. Several polls on the forums suggest they are just playing it by ear and slapping something together.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    How about we shut down the pipe dreams and actually add some content to the game? All there is to do now is kill npc, and pvp. The forums are full of people crying to have pvp removed entirely. This game is really not deserving of it's hype status. They put out a basic combat engine, and nothing else and now it's shadow has fallen over several promising games. They don't even seem to be sure what type of game they are making. Several polls on the forums suggest they are just playing it by ear and slapping something together.

You never played a game pre-alpha before? I don't think there ever has been a mmorpg with open pre-alpha. pre-alpha means testing basic game machanics. Full alpha will have all features in some version. I've been in pre-alpha for a year now. If a patch sucks I report the mjaor bugs and give my opinion and take a break till next patch. Some ppl are just unexperienced with testing a game it seems...

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Been in pre-alpha for a while, the game definitely brings the "atmosphere" back into the genre. Curious how it's all going to play out in the end with all the ideas going into it. Good stuff.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I bought it lastnight.

Put it like this. I had to force myself to try and make it through the starting areas of two upcoming new mmorpgs. I only made it through one.

I made my character in GV, and was literally dropped into a town. I changed my keybinds, then started to run around, without even so much as an "!" to guide me. I ended up playing this pre-alpha for 1 1/2 hours. Oh, and trust it is pre-alpha. 

I think they are on to something. They have something to show for their vision and work, not a lot, but it worked, in a step one type way.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by zevni78

Great stuff, how about having immersive mechanisms where you can predict the weather and plan strategies, see storms coming from a high area, a wind chime with sounds to indicate direction that affects arrow volleys, a primitive barometer, a npc with secrets of prediction?

Lol, that's very detailed. But it would make being a farmer a game of it's own :D
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Epic stuff having weather being able to influence the battlefield.
  • blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129

Lol, that's very detailed. But it would make being a farmer a game of it's own :D

Great, my daughter plans on being a farmer, she doesn't like to fight very much , if at all.

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    its all great until people whine that it snows for two months or it rains and its gloomy llol

so say we all

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

-is switching on/off the exterminatus safety- the only thing that is not deserving on this thread is you being in the game and whichever wowtarts gained access to the game without researching what it is.

Originally posted by cylon8
    its all great until people whine that it snows for two months or it rains and its gloomy llol

Travel south if that is not your thing :D There are deserts too :D Huuuugeeeee map :D

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

How can you be so inconsiderate.

In case you forgot, this is a small independent team who have been working their behinds off Without any real budget. What they've managed to achieve so far is impressive for PRE-alpha standards to say the least. On top of this, they make it a point to actually communicate with players, which if anything should be praised not criticized.

Originally posted by superconducting

In case you forgot, this is a small independent team who have been working their behinds off Without any real budget. What they've managed to achieve so far is impressive for PRE-alpha standards to say the least. On top of this, they make it a point to actually communicate with players, which if anything should be praised not criticized.

/signed :)
  • GiarclenGiarclen Member UncommonPosts: 5

/signed x2  image

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Giarclen

/signed x2  image

/signed x3

Nice signature :) So far there are no suits, only gamers developing GV :)
  • atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

I hope your night cycles is going for real night. I want to get lost in the dark :D In my Rift :O