Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There's no hope for this game

Was just reading the Community Cantina Q&A, reading it just gives me the impression there is no hope for this game any more.

http://ootinicast.com/2014/02/community-cantina-phoenix/

Q: Are there any plans to increase the Legacy cap beyond 50, or provide any incentives to attain that level, such as Legacy banks so that you don’t have to mail credits to your alts etc?
A: They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future.

Q: Are there any concepts in the works to introduce a new character class across both factions?
A: There are no plans for this at this time, mostly due to the amount of content that each class and companion stories provide. It would take a lot of time and resources to ensure that the result is no less of an experience than the existing storylines.

Q: What are the plans to improve guild functionality in game: guild email, capital ships etc?
A: Currently nothing is specifically planned. A lot of the features requested would be technically challenging.

Q: Can Bioware give players something to spend capped reputation tokens on?
A: Sell them to vendors for credits.

Q: Has there been any discussion about interactive apps to send companions out on crew skills etc?
A: They’ve been talking about it a lot, and would love to do this. However there are technical challenges surrounding this that would impact server performance, thus alternate solutions would need to be found. It’s a question of time and resources again.

Q: Is the guild membership cap of 500 going to be raised?
A: At this time, no, due to that would decrease server performance.

Q: What is the most popular content?
A: BioWare cannot disclose any information about metrics.

Q: When is the datacron relic going to be upgraded?
A: BioWare are unsure at this time.

This is just a facepalm. Everything is technically challenging unless they can make money out of it (the CM)

Comments

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Under EA, studios are usually doomed which results in the game being doomed.
  • handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I bought the game when it released,never finished it diablo3 released.

I played it again when it went free average game waiting for battle front and the repopulation.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Sounds like the cash shop is Priority #1.
  • GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

Free to Play games.

Gotta love them.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I have no interest in this game but from all accounts the game is DOING WELL NOW.  So they are doing something right.
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I have no interest in this game but from all accounts the game is DOING WELL NOW.  So they are doing something right.

Doing well money wise does not equal being a good game. It only means it is appealing to the flappy bird crowd enough to generate cash even tho the content is awful.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

I agree without a doubt, oh and see Post #4.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Darksop

Was just reading the Community Cantina Q&A, reading it just gives me the impression there is no hope for this game any more.

http://ootinicast.com/2014/02/community-cantina-phoenix/

Q: Are there any plans to increase the Legacy cap beyond 50, or provide any incentives to attain that level, such as Legacy banks so that you don’t have to mail credits to your alts etc?
    A: They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future.

Q: Are there any concepts in the works to introduce a new character class across both factions?
    A: There are no plans for this at this time, mostly due to the amount of content that each class and companion stories provide. It would take a lot of time and resources to ensure that the result is no less of an experience than the existing storylines.

Q: What are the plans to improve guild functionality in game: guild email, capital ships etc?
    A: Currently nothing is specifically planned. A lot of the features requested would be technically challenging.

Q: Can Bioware give players something to spend capped reputation tokens on?
    A: Sell them to vendors for credits.

Q: Has there been any discussion about interactive apps to send companions out on crew skills etc?
    A: They’ve been talking about it a lot, and would love to do this. However there are technical challenges surrounding this that would impact server performance, thus alternate solutions would need to be found. It’s a question of time and resources again.

Q: Is the guild membership cap of 500 going to be raised?
    A: At this time, no, due to that would decrease server performance.

Q: What is the most popular content?
    A: BioWare cannot disclose any information about metrics.

Q: When is the datacron relic going to be upgraded?
    A: BioWare are unsure at this time.

This is just a facepalm. Everything is technically challenging unless they can make money out of it (the CM)

I admit they arent saying what I want to hear, but the highlighted responses are reasonble and 100% correct, it applies to pretty much any content that can be added to any game. Not to mention there are alot of things they can do and add that would have far more value to the player and game that can be done.

The legacy bank, sure it can be done. Then again.. how many games out there have a acount/server wide bank?

New class, sure it can be done, but every npc, every quest that adresses you by class need to be adjusted to include the new class, may even need a complete new vo to be able to do it. Introducing a whole line of class quests indeed DOES cost alot of time and resources and vo actors, ballance and functionality within the game/group/raid It would be nice, but it would mostly add value to alt play.

Guild functionality such as guild mail is fairly easy to add, though the game already comes with functional alternatives, I can understand this being a very low priority. Capital ships on the other hand.. how many games come with guild-halls etc etc or even player housing? Adding a whole ( personal) zone does take alot of time and resources. It is definately not imposible, but the actual overall added-value is fairly low. The time and resources are better spent on actual content. 

An interactive app does take time, resources and does add some technical challanges, while it isnt overly hard to make, the added value remains to be seen. There are better things to spent the time and resources on.

Im sorry, but even though it is not what I wanted to hear, they are right. They are better off spending their time and efford on other things, with the exception of a new class maybe. But to call it beyone hope because of these responses... serously?

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    I was gonna say the exact same thing as the previous poster. Everything being asked for I superfluous and outside the core game why develop features for that instead on new instances expansion and elements that advance the overall story of the game.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

The funny thing is that all the stuff they listed as being "technically challenging" (with the exception of adding a new class) are things that the original development team said at launch were planned to be in the game at some point.  Guild ships, crew skills app, etc. etc.  The game is doing well.  It's doing better than any major MMO that isn't WoW.  It will probably do well for many years.  But it wasn't the level of blockbuster it would have needed to be in order to deliver the long term experience that was promised at launch.  

In all fairness, no MMO other than WoW has ever made the amount of money that would be necessary to keep all of TOR's launch promises and still be highly profitable. (And WoW squanders most of what it makes, with the amount of money that game takes in it should be the absolute best game ever made in every possible respect, but instead just keeps churning out popular mediocrity.)

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Fenrir767
    I was gonna say the exact same thing as the previous poster. Everything being asked for I superfluous and outside the core game why develop features for that instead on new instances expansion and elements that advance the overall story of the game.

Thank you because expanding that is exactly what is being asked for right now by most of the players. I want more of what the game does well, not wasted time and resources trying to draw in people that don't like the core components of the game design. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    That is true about the launch promises unfortunately the game was to buggy with regards to ops and way to grindy with PVP and basically it being 24/7 huttball to retain players.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I'm sure all of the full bags of money EA is depositing from SWTOR profits are all labelled "doom". 

This game isn't in any danger from looking at it's profit margin. They aren't going to kill the game any time soon.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

Welcome to the result of F2P models. All you F2P advocates look deep at this and understand this is what going F2P actually means.

In a P2P model which is what SWTOR originaly started out as they could afford to plan such changes and state they would be incoming if the playerbase should a desire for them. This is because with a PvP revenue the developers can allocate more of the budget to game development.

In a F2P model the revenue is less streamlined and any new content must focus on the shop first and game development second. This reduces the capacity of what they can offer. Making any major changes or developments less likely.

As the saying goes you get what you pay for ...

That said this no way indicates that SWTOR fails it just means what you have is what you will get any major game play changes will be slow coming.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

I'm sure all of the full bags of money EA is depositing from SWTOR profits are all labelled "doom". 

This game isn't in any danger from looking at it's profit margin. They aren't going to kill the game any time soon.

There is a huge difference between killing a game and giving it the kind of support it needs to really shine.  I know what that  support should be is highly subjective but for a lot of people it's not about adding more dresses and ships to the cash shop.  It's clear from Biowares tone that what they mean by "technically challenging" is really "not easily exploited in the cash shop to the level we want".  

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    so Bioware is saying that developing cool new features and interesting content is hard. Interesting, who would have thought that
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Games are hard to make, incredibly hard and complicated and expensive to maintain.  Its just funny hearing a company speak about it publicly.  But technically they are right.  So they either spend the money and resources to do it (if they have it in their budget) or they just let the game slowly wither and die.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Gadareth

Welcome to the result of F2P models. All you F2P advocates look deep at this and understand this is what going F2P actually means.

In a P2P model which is what SWTOR originaly started out as they could afford to plan such changes and state they would be incoming if the playerbase should a desire for them. This is because with a PvP revenue the developers can allocate more of the budget to game development.

In a F2P model the revenue is less streamlined and any new content must focus on the shop first and game development second. This reduces the capacity of what they can offer. Making any major changes or developments less likely.

That said this no way indicates that SWTOR fails it just means what you have is what you will get any major game play changes will be slow coming.

Don't cloud the argument with logic.

• EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Just focus on the story Bioware. It's what you do best. Don't try to copy wow. Wow is wow and Tor is Tor. Keep it like that ok?

Unless they say that they have absolutely no plans on expanding the class stories, they aren't doomed. If they do say that however, it's game over.

I'd bet that a lot of players don't care about the grinds anyhow. I guess that at least 80% play it for story, 15% for PvP and 5% for endgame. 100% play it because of the social reasons(no matter how small-chatting on the general still counts).

With those numbers, I can't understand how is developing raid #13(or whatever) profitable. Guess that the endgame crowd is the Flappy Bird crowd.

One of the reasons I stopped my sub awhile ago, and uninstalled the game is the developers said, class stories are over and there are no plans to continue.

It's doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. They said, they won't be adding another class because of the story elements. So you think they are going to add story content for all the classes that already exist?

I love the story element too and the only reason I leveled two characters, but the fact remains a big reason people quit, was they played through the story, and felt they finished the game. They didn't want to replay most of the time because of the WoW in space grind.

They also give away story content for free. They aren't going to invest tons of resources into something they give away for free.

You can look it up on the TORlet forums yourself and look at the yellow. They said no more class stories or companion stories.

That's why there hasn't been a proper expansion since launch, just a new planet, and star fighter. Both things found in, part, of an expansion.

They are crippled though, they thought the game would be successful regardless, probably figured 5 million or 6 million people would be subbing by now, and the game was never meant to go F2P. So there is only so much they can do, the content to advance the game is too expensive. So they are forced to focus on small aspects of the game and it's only going to get worse, with new MMOs and games like Star Citizen coming out in the next few years.

Pretty much I expect, focus on the cash shop, and mini game addon ons, like Starfighter and planets. No class stories, just universal one. I think they limp along like this, until the game isn't making money, and then hit old Betsy right between the eyes and sell the fucking milk.

Personally, I would like to believe there is another Star Wars MMO, in development deep within EA studios, and they can limp along until that comes out. However, it would have been leaked for sure by now, like Star Wars Battlefront 3 was. Also MMO investments scare the hell out of publishers based on the market, so it would probably be a free to play whale hunting game. Probably not very good, something like, Star Wars Rebels Universe.

EDIT

One thing funny is I can sit here and say the same thing the devs are saying.

"Sorry guys I can't develop new stories, a new class, or enhance the game content at all. It's too challenging for me."

In fact? We can all say that! We are TORlet Devs too.

"What tastes like purple?"

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by Rattenmann

Doing well money wise does not equal being a good game. It only means it is appealing to the flappy bird crowd enough to generate cash even tho the content is awful.

So, people who, God forbid, play and enjoy TOR are just a "flappy bird" crowd? You and the other self-righteous haters can spite all you want. The game is of high quality and players are having playing it. 

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    When the game first launched, I wondered if the cut scenes and storyline would be more of a hinderance in regards to adding new classes/story content. It appears that is the case now. But, the unexplorable maps are the biggest issue for me anyway.
  • SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by Ghern

Free to Play games.

Gotta love them.

This.

Every time that guy says 'technically challenging', what he's really saying is, "We only have a skeleton crew operating this game, and anything more than the occasional quest bug or vanity shit for our cash shop is too much for them to handle."

Once games like this go F2P, it's all about milking.  Any passion that might've existed for expanding and improving their game goes down the drain.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by goboygo

Yeah the next two digital expansions aren't coming out this year at all.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• SpawnbladeSpawnblade Member UncommonPosts: 204
    Originally posted by BadOrb
    Originally posted by goboygo

Yeah the next two digital expansions aren't coming out this year at all.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

I'd hardly call them expansions.  Rise of the Hutt took less than ten hours.  For 25 bucks, that's hardly an expansion.

To add to a previous argument:  It's not so much that developers -can- spend time on quality content in a P2P model, it's that they HAVE to in order to make sure they retain subscribers.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Spawnblade

I'd hardly call them expansions.  Rise of the Hutt took less than ten hours.  For 25 bucks, that's hardly an expansion.

To add to a previous argument:  It's not so much that developers -can- spend time on quality content in a P2P model, it's that they HAVE to in order to make sure they retain subscribers.

It doesn't have to be quality, it just has to be content.  Look at WoW expansions.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

This discussion has been closed.