Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance beginning at midnight EST on Tuesday, August 30. Downtime is expected to last only a couple of hours.

Ryzom Source

NitthNitth AustraliaPosts: 3,897Member Uncommon

Anyone had a look?

Is it worth building or is it too large of a project for an individual to make functional changes?

If you were to host a variant, Its my understanding that you couldn't even ask for financial support for hosting because that would infringe on the IP?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Comments

• ArChWindArChWind Some Place, WIPosts: 1,221Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nitth
    Anyone had a look? Is it worth building or is it too large of a project for an individual to make functional changes? If you were to host a variant, Its my understanding that you couldn't even ask for financial support for hosting because that would infringe on the IP?

Ryzom is kind of broken so you need to do a lot of extra work to get the thing functional. They moved the build executables and made some changes to the overall structure so manual moving things in the tree will take some work.

They still have 3DMax as the art pipeline so if you have that go for it.

The game play is mostly built in bricks and Lua. You'll understand what bricks are once you start using it.

Biggest draw back to this engine  is the lack of good documentation. You'll spend a lot of time working in source just to figure out what and how to build your game from it and in some cases fixing it to compile correctly.

This engine is not for a novice developer.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Edmonds, WAPosts: 2,846Member Uncommon
    Are there still a few active players in this game? I really wanted to try it a while back but heard it was dead.
  • ArChWindArChWind Some Place, WIPosts: 1,221Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Are there still a few active players in this game? I really wanted to try it a while back but heard it was dead.

This about the open source engine not the game.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Edmonds, WAPosts: 2,846Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ArChWind
    Originally posted by Panther2103

This about the open source engine not the game.

Ohhh okay. That makes sense. Sorry.