Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angry Joe - Wildstar beta impressions not very positive

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by mattidore
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    It's a game you really want to try before you judge. What they talk about was every exciting, what they had in game wasn't ( imo )

It's so ironic how everyone seems to be cutting Wildstar a lot of slack, and with ESO people were saying how it would fail within a few months from just a few gameplay footages. Now everything's the otherway and ESO is getting tonnes of praise and Wildstar seems to be fading out from people's minds.

Tons of praise? ESO still has quite a lot of people lookng for reasons to hate the  game. The 'praise' is mostly just people saying 'oh hey, this game isn't nearly as bad as everyone keeps saying it is'.

In the case of Wildstar, this is the first somewhat negative review I've seen of the game. All others are talking about how this is the next big thing. And, while I don't think this review is done all that well, I do have to agree with him on certain points. While it's not a 'clone', per se, it is a game that is geared very much towards the WoW crowd. They do certain things differently, but the core focus of the game is nearly identical. It is very much a game about adhering to the status quo of trinity gameplay, quest-hub lvling, and raid-focused gear progression.

There are a lot of people who are stuck on this type of design, or who honestly believe that this is the way you 'have to' design an MMO, and there is no other way. However, there are also a lot of people who are sick of that mentallity, and want something more progressive / new. These are the people who will most likely not enjoy WildStar. That said, WoW is still the most popular game in this genre, and as a game looking to be the next WoW 2.0, that means this game will likely be one of the most popular to come out this year.

• timidobservertimidobserver Member UncommonPosts: 246

He is right, the starting area and quests are well below anything that has been seen in at MMO in like 2-3 years. The story in general, from what we can see, it horrid.

The only thing this game has going for it is the unique setting. People that are tired of elves, dwarves, and goblins might be able to get into this game.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    Originally posted by aesperus
    It's a game you really want to try before you judge. What they talk about was every exciting, what they had in game wasn't ( imo )

It's so ironic how everyone seems to be cutting Wildstar a lot of slack, and with ESO people were saying how it would fail within a few months from just a few gameplay footages. Now everything's the otherway and ESO is getting tonnes of praise and Wildstar seems to be fading out from people's minds.

Tons of praise? ESO still has quite a lot of people lookng for reasons to hate the  game. The 'praise' is mostly just people saying 'oh hey, this game isn't nearly as bad as everyone keeps saying it is'.

In the case of Wildstar, this is the first somewhat negative review I've seen of the game. All others are talking about how this is the next big thing. And, while I don't think this review is done all that well, I do have to agree with him on certain points. While it's not a 'clone', per se, it is a game that is geared very much towards the WoW crowd. They do certain things differently, but the core focus of the game is nearly identical. It is very much a game about adhering to the status quo of trinity gameplay, quest-hub lvling, and raid-focused gear progression.

There are a lot of people who are stuck on this type of design, or who honestly believe that this is the way you 'have to' design an MMO, and there is no other way. However, there are also a lot of people who are sick of that mentallity, and want something more progressive / new. These are the people who will most likely not enjoy WildStar. That said, WoW is still the most popular game in this genre, and as a game looking to be the next WoW 2.0, that means this game will likely be one of the most popular to come out this year.

QFT

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

As much I have been looking at video presentations through past months or year, game have more humour than all others put together. Looks fun, fast paced, ... definitively will try if satisfies 3 most important criteria for me, 3rd person view, mouse for moving avatar and tab targeting. Rest is debatable.

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

Wrong title, guess you didn't watch the entire movie he posted. He clearly says that game has its strong and minor points. It's just not the game for him he says. He doesn't say its a bad game, he says it's not a game he would be playing. Seeing he is gamer with his own taste he has his preferences. He also never really been a fan of subscription based MMORGP's yet that doesn't make them bad either. His angry army has plenty of people who are gonna play Wildstar. So if this was a attempt to show that Wildstar was gonna be bad, i sugest you watch the entire movie again and listen to what he says.

It wasn't super positive nor negative. But hey that's his job, to give his opinion and frankly im glad he atleast is honest and doesn't hype the sh#t out of games like so many other people do with TESO and Wildstar. He mentioned the strong points of the game and why it would be a good game, and he mentioned the problems he has with the game that might also be a problem for you. He isn't like IGN or gamespot who cover these games for many weeks in a row with only super positive news (like how COD is such a new game since last months edition). Listen to what he say, know what he is (a critic/reviewer) and understand that his opinion is personal and that he isn't only gunning the game down.

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by aesperus

Well I could be considered as 'one of the WOW crowd' but so far I am totally unimpressed in the beta weekend. Tried both factions and several classes. I don't mind the cartoonish looks at all but I cannot seem to get any 'click' with this game. At this point I hope to get into a TESO beta weekend since it seems more interesting. Otherwise I'll stick to WOW 1.0 and their coming expansion WoD.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by expresso
    Originally posted by MurlockDance

.. snip

And in WoW (you like WoW right?), you quite literally get to bonk peons on the head with a club in the orc starting area, or are you a case of "Me not that kind of orc"?

.. snip

That's my point, everyone has done that quest (FYI it's been in the game for 10 years) why does wildstar feel they need to show us something sooooooooo basic as hitting a mob with an object.  

Throw us into a situation were we need to learn this stuff to progress and survive instead of the handholding crap they currently throw new players into, trust me these starting quests will turn many people away, it did me and you'd think as a WoW fanboy id be right at home with wildstar.

Plenty of people have never played WoW so bonking peons on the head would be a novel experience for them if they pick up Wildstar. If depends all on who they are trying to market the game to: experienced vets or just about everyone. If they went the GGG route and made the game as unfriendly for newbs as PoE is, I am not sure that would work to the company's benefit if they are trying to attract a broad audience. It appears to me that Wildstar is meant to appeal to lots of people so yes, that means some initial handholding. General players don't like having to figure everything out for themselves and hence why games like EVE and PoE are more niche.

So you can't just rush through the first bit of the game and see if the rest is to your liking? It probably only takes a short while to get past that point, I am guessing, if it is anything like early WoW areas. That is what I do.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by daltanious

As much I have been looking at video presentations through past months or year, game have more humour than all others put together. Looks fun, fast paced, ... definitively will try if satisfies 3 most important criteria for me, 3rd person view, mouse for moving avatar and tab targeting. Rest is debatable.

Sorry to disappoint but it is not really a tab-targetting game. Take a look on their site.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/fr/media/videos/devspeak/#video-1665

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

The first time that I saw longer ingame footage and without much listening much to this GI Joe.

My impression from just watching this:

* Wildstar fits into the typical games released from NCSoft i.e. Aion, Lineage2, Tabula Rasa, GW1+2...just watching this video.

* Game World looks steril and reminds me rather on a mix between GW2 and SWTOR with waterpaintings.

* The Art of the game fits rather for children

*  I dont see anyhting in common with World of Warcraft, it looks like that this game is far away from it

* The game looks a lot like a console game and would fit rather into the F2P/B2P category, but since they charge a monthly fee they game seems to offer more than that and will have its value for those who are interested in this game.

This game will have its playerbase since there are a lot of people who like such games, but I tried most games released by NCSoft and they are not my cup of tea besides other Games releasd by ASIAN companies i.e.TERA and whatever.....

The shown content in the video is definately not enough to make a fully review about this game....

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Annekynn

Originally posted by hikaru77
    I have been playing the beta, I just cant believe all the hype that was build around this game, Is without a doubt the worst P2P game of the last  few years. Is a huge step back in the MMO genre, it looks like a 10 years old mmo, and im not talking about the graphics. 

Huge step back? Im wondering if you played the same game as I have, as for me someone whos come from AC/DAoC/WoW/AoC/WAR/SWTOR I see this game as a huge step forward. Did you even leave the first 3 level tutorial area? Because you defend TESO saying its real game doesnt start till level 10 so I wonder if you gave WildStar the same length of attention

Yes i did, and im still playing the beta to find out if im wrong. I also have more than 10 years of MMO gaming, let me ask you this, why you believe is a huge step forward?. 

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by skyline385

This exact thing happened to me. I was crazily excited for the game with all the contents they have promised and it's still there in the game, no doubt in that; But i just can't get myself to play it every time i launch it. The max i have played it at a stretch is probably 2 hours. I am also a permanent tester not a weekend one. Comparing that to ESO, i only played it for a weekend but i played a full 12 hours continuously before my sleep forced me to stop. It sucks because i really like the WIldstar Devs who are very open but i just can't get into it.

This post pretty much sums up this game IMO...  Sucks because I was REALLY REALLY rooting for this game...

Not so much anymore..

And that UI is horrible... Why is the sprint bar right there almost on top of your character... And why are there so many pop ups and clicky things ALL OVER YOUR SCREEN...

The PVP looks to be extremely hack and slash, hardly any control or strategy, just roll your face on the keyboard and win.  Now I understand how it's low level pvp, but you can still see not much will probably change as you increase in level.

And Angry Joe is right, that startup zone made me want to go to sleep... BORING!

Sorry Wildstar I bought into the hype, love your Devs and their sense of humor, but I'm going to have to /Pass

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Bannuk
    Originally posted by FlawSGI
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Big-Cronk
    Honestly, Angry joe is kind of a sub-par critic in my opinion

From the few reviews I've read, he seems to be more of a MMORPG tourist, more of a console player or what not, so it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't really like MMO gameplay much.

I suspect the viewpoint of a player who is a purist, meaning more focused on MMORPG's might report on them more favorably.

Yeah pretty much and exactly why if anyone has watched his videos before, you should take that into account whenever he puts his opinion on anything from this genre. Not that he makes bad points because I agree with him on this one as well, but because he has to continue to provide pieces for a multitude of games which is why he doesn't seem to get as invested in MMORPG's. One of the aspects that people seem to forget is that these people cannot focus on any single game otherwise they fall off and become irrelevant to their viewers and lose their way of life. Maybe this is too sensible for these boards though.

I don't understand why anyone gives someone else's opinion any weight period.  His opinion is just that, his.  Play the game and form your own.  There are too many followers and not enough individuals in this world.

And I wasn't aware that valuing someone else's opinion meant I was incapable of forming my own. For the record, I stated I agreed with his points and you can take that to mean I formed an opinion enough to agree or disagree. I love how agreeing with others points of view means we are all followers. What there are in abundance are too many people in this community that like to generalize and attack others because they don't agree with their views. We don't agree about AJ's opinion so I must be a sheep. Get real.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by Annekynn   Originally posted by hikaru77 I have been playing the beta, I just cant believe all the hype that was build around this game, Is without a doubt the worst P2P game of the last  few years. Is a huge step back in the MMO genre, it looks like a 10 years old mmo, and im not talking about the graphics. 
      Huge step back? Im wondering if you played the same game as I have, as for me someone whos come from AC/DAoC/WoW/AoC/WAR/SWTOR I see this game as a huge step forward. Did you even leave the first 3 level tutorial area? Because you defend TESO saying its real game doesnt start till level 10 so I wonder if you gave WildStar the same length of attention
    Yes i did, and im still playing the beta to find out if im wrong. I also have more than 10 years of MMO gaming, let me ask you this, why you believe is a huge step forward?. 

Why is it a huge step forward compared to WoW? well, lets try a few:

1) brings back 40 man raiding which WoW abandoned in the 2nd expansion, while still offering 20 man raids for smaller guilds
    2) makes the raids variable on a weekly basis so the encounters are not static
    3) raids are designed to be easily constructable by Carbine so they can spit out content faster (something blizzard has struggled with for years now)
    4) provides Adventure instances, which unlike WoWs static scenarios which always play out the same, adventures can provide everything from convoy defense to castle tower defense to DoTA style fights. Lots of variety
    5) provides both fantasy AND sci-fi, allowing the devs to literately do anything their imagination allows without being shackled to lore or games scope. Want to fly to an asteroid or the moon? Sure, why not!
    6) brings back raid bosses in large scale pvp, something blizzard abandoned in the first expansion due to "this game is too hard!" whining
    7) adds persistent base building to pvp that can be built or lost giving you much more reason to play well and strategically
    8) provides a modern interface that is fully moddable. While WoWs is also fully moddable, its default UI is still stuck in 2004 and blizzard refuses to modernize it
    9) gets rid of the tab targeting lockon system so you can actually dodge the attacks coming at you. No more being chased by a fireball
    10) since most attacks have an aoe component, placement in battles becomes crucial so its not just stand there and attack. You constantly move to optimize your damage and avoid damage
    11) allows you move/explore beyond the maps boundary. If you can see it you can get to it
    12) allows you to go both up above the zone and down below the ground. Climb tall trees or explore underground cave systems to access different parts of the zones etc
    13) allows you to build structures in the open world for others to use
    14) allows you to have your own home which can be improved in many ways. Allows you to build structures around your home. Allows your home to come under attack by npcs, and ability to defend your neighbours homes
    15) huge and varied soundtrack that isnt stuck in the "fantasy only theme"
    16) active character skill sets are limited to only 8 abilities at a time. But you can have 30+ abilities so you have to strategically chose which abilities to take with you. Its like a card game where you basically create your deck before a fight. Allows you to save your sets for quick swapping in and out between fights
    17) character progression allows you to tweak such things like crit chance or crit damage etc etc. Lots of variety therefore in tweaking your strengths or weaknesses

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I will add that the combat system is just dreadful. I'm fine with action based combat but go the GW2 path if you are going to do this, the Wildstar system is just terrible. It is so darn easy to exploit mob AI and any lag at all in PvP is going to make it hopeless.

It is another one of those games where you attack as many things as you can because it is so easy to exploit them that there isn't much hope of ever losing an open world PvE fight. Just avoid the red blobs on the ground and you win.

Originally posted by Ender4
    I will add that the combat system is just dreadful. I'm fine with action based combat but go the GW2 path if you are going to do this, the Wildstar system is just terrible. It is so darn easy to exploit mob AI and any lag at all in PvP is going to make it hopeless.

It is another one of those games where you attack as many things as you can because it is so easy to exploit them that there isn't much hope of ever losing an open world PvE fight. Just avoid the red blobs on the ground and you win.

Actually since the attacks have an aoe component its quite easy to accidentally aggro things and have more beating on you than planned if youre not careful. Ive seen deaths occur because of just that. As for lag, again since the attacks have an aoe component even if the character is off by a foot to the left or right youre still going to hit them. Dont assume its going to suck if you havent done it

And aggroing everything isnt such a smart thing if you get stunned or knocked down and promptly annihilated. Yes skilled players obviously if they want to grind mobs will find ways of doing it well in every game. The average person however wont.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I never liked angry joe personally. But I can hardly fault his reviews since most of the things he says about games are spot on. When lots of other reviewers were gushing over Bioshock Infinite, calling it the greatest game ever he was the first reviewer I came across that said it wasn't. He still gave it a 9/10 though... I thought it was a 8/10 at best. Personally I prefer other reviewers such as TotalBiscuit and the guys at eldergeek because their taste in games are closer to mine.

But in regards to Wildstar, I haven't played it but in everything I've seen so far it seems far too generic. It just seems old.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I don't understand why anyone gives someone else's opinion any weight period.  His opinion is just that, his.  Play the game and form your own.  There are too many followers and not enough individuals in this world.

NEVER! If I'm going to bum $50 from my 87 year old mom for a video game, you'd better believe I'm going to miss all my job interviews scheduled for the week to listen to Angry Joe over and over again so he can tell me whether it is worth buying!

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by elvenwolf
    I had the opposite reaction, I wasn't interested when I just saw the videos, then I tried a couple of stress tests. The first one I was like mhhh... then I got used to the looks of the game, and  it did grow on me. Now I am going to preorder.

This was me.

Exactly how I felt.

• DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    It's ESO all the way for me, but everything I've seen of WildStar looks like a blast. I love the art style and the game's humorous personality, the narrator for the trailer of the game sounded like I was watching a preview for Machete. Every mmorpg is always so serious, it's cool that there's one with a sense of humor so to say. The classes look fun and varied, action combat, there's plenty of PvP, the return of 40-man raids, player housing from the start, warplots (whatever they are, but they look cool)and it's a futuristic setting that's totally it's own, not Star Trek or Star Wars. Who cares if all of the game's aspects aren't new, new, new, GW2 went down that road and it wasn't as great as they promised. If ESO didn't exist, WildStar is what I'd be waiting for.

Originally posted by dreycraft
    It's ESO all the way for me, but everything I've seen of WildStar looks like a blast. I love the art style and the game's humorous personality, the narrator for the trailer of the game sounded like I was watching a preview for Machete. Every mmorpg is always so serious, it's cool that there's one with a sense of humor so to say. The classes look fun and varied, action combat, there's plenty of PvP, the return of 40-man raids, player housing from the start, warplots (whatever they are, but they look cool)and it's a futuristic setting that's totally it's own, not Star Trek or Star Wars. Who cares if all of the game's aspects aren't new, new, new, GW2 went down that road and it wasn't as great as they promised. If ESO didn't exist, WildStar is what I'd be waiting for.

"I found a better game for me, but your game looks cool too" , kudos :) Should be a fun year for many!

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

1) brings back 40 man raiding which WoW abandoned in the 2nd expansion, while still offering 20 man raids for smaller guilds

I had to kind of chuckle at this. The previous poster says it's a step backward. You say it's a step forward, and your first example to prove that point is because it brings back a raiding style that was last seen... 6 years ago? Longer?

I can't argue the rest of your points, this one just got a titter out of me. image

• sdeleon515sdeleon515 Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by rygard49

I had to kind of chuckle at this. The previous poster says it's a step backward. You say it's a step forward, and your first example to prove that point is because it brings back a raiding style that was last seen... 6 years ago? Longer?

I can't argue the rest of your points, this one just got a titter out of me. image

I hate to say it's hard to really comment on whether bigger or smaller raids are better. Smaller raids in WoW always lacked some fresh blood and boredom at some level. Larger raids are harder to setup but you end up needing to build good reputations to keep/attract players and it's a bit more dynamic in the gameplay as far as roles and jobs. 

I still shrug why players talk about PvP on mmo's but everyone will toss the "oh gawd here come's someone bringing up EvE in a PvP discussion again" but hey it's relevant. In the end it's just a difference of preference and styles really.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Omali
    Some of you need to stop acting like a person shot your parents just because they didn't like something that you do. Considering the outbursts here over an entertainer on Youtube, I'd hate to see how some of you react to things in life that have actual meaning.

It's sad when someone takes negative feedback for a video game so personally. I honestly don't know how they get by in life being so overly sensitive and heartbroken from feedback.  Do they rant and cry and rage in real life if someone doesn't share their opinions?

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by Annekynn Why is it a huge step forward compared to WoW? well, lets try a few: 1) brings back 40 man raiding which WoW abandoned in the 2nd expansion, while still offering 20 man raids for smaller guilds

I can't argue the rest of your points, this one just got a titter out of me.

Blizzard got rid of many things. 40 man raids, 10 man dungeons, elite mobs in quest areas, a non-themepark design that required exploration and travel after level 30, roaming group-only mobs, bosses that wouldnt reset back to their starting spot if moved more than 30 feet, etc.

Most of that was done because the game was too hard for the 11 year olds swarming the games servers, and not because the content wasnt fun or challenging. WildStar brings all that back, but then improves upon it and modernizes it.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    The question is, they have brought it back ^^ but will it be difficult? They are aiming for that very same young market who have indeed not been allowed to experience and learn from challenging content (e.g you can literally run a 5 man blindfolded in wow with gear 2 tiers below max) so catch 22, or will they be have the courage of their convictions to fight off shareholders demands for max profits etc...

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

This discussion has been closed.