Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Role Playing in ESO

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

This article details the pros and cons of some of ESO as it relates to ESO being a suitable RPG world for RPG folks. Though I'm still waiting to see evidence other than emotes that RPG activities similar to the instruments in LOTRO exist or that they are at least working on it, at least they offered this via Twitter:

In a question about chat channels on Twitter, the ESO leads noted that "roleplayers will be able to set preferences when logging into the megaserver that will group them with other roleplayers." Without separate RP, PvE, or PvP servers, this technology gives RPers something to think about.

Hopefully this helps those who had some concerns around there not being a RPG server since this is megaserver technology. I'm actually not a huge RPGer as for for example pretending Im a townsperson in the Shire and talking to other folks in chat as if I was.  I do read some books and lore, but I more like to watch other RPGers. For some reason I find it interesting to watch sometimes lol.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/02/21/tamriel-infinium-roleplaying-in-spite-of-the-elder-scrolls-onli/

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• This will be the only game i try to roleplay in, immersion is everything.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Heavy-armor-warrior
    This will be the only game i try to roleplay in, immersion is everything.

So curious as to what exactly you will be doing? :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• Originally posted by keithian
    Originally posted by Heavy-armor-warrior
    This will be the only game i try to roleplay in, immersion is everything.

So curious as to what exactly you will be doing? :-)

You know, pretending im something that i am not.

Probably a old gandolf style mage first.

• squalleonahasqualleonaha Member Posts: 211

an alcoholic traveler who would do anything , but killing, for Glass of beer and Girls?

i call its GG roleplay. cough*. muahahahaha

that what i used to do in ES game anyway.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

edit: read the note on channels

• AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by keithian

This article details the pros and cons of some of ESO as it relates to ESO being a suitable RPG world for RPG folks. Though I'm still waiting to see evidence other than emotes that RPG activities similar to the instruments in LOTRO exist or that they are at least working on it, at least they offered this via Twitter:

In a question about chat channels on Twitter, the ESO leads noted that "roleplayers will be able to set preferences when logging into the megaserver that will group them with other roleplayers." Without separate RP, PvE, or PvP servers, this technology gives RPers something to think about.

Hopefully this helps those who had some concerns around there not being a RPG server since this is megaserver technology. I'm actually not a huge RPGer as for for example pretending Im a townsperson in the Shire and talking to other folks in chat as if I was.  I do read some books and lore, but I more like to watch other RPGers. For some reason I find it interesting to watch sometimes lol.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/02/21/tamriel-infinium-roleplaying-in-spite-of-the-elder-scrolls-onli/

Oh nice!  That's the first I've heard of this.  Excellent news.

• warlord2020warlord2020 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    No RP server!  One big server with lots of different instances of the zones you could transfer to .  Neverwinter and Champions Online online is like that.  The system will try to put you in the same zone where most of your friends and guild are located, but you can probably transfer to your friend's map unless it's full.
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

Hard to explain in RP in ESO as to why every race across three factions share the same exact class archetypes.  I guess RP'ers can pretend differently, you know, like that Orc Templar is different from your Elf Templar...and such because part of Bob the Orc's tree is a few skills variant from the flavor of the month.

Sigh.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Comaf

Hard to explain in RP in ESO as to why every race across three factions share the same exact class archetypes.  I guess RP'ers can pretend differently, you know, like that Orc Templar is different from your Elf Templar...and such because part of Bob the Orc's tree is a few skills variant from the flavor of the month.

Sigh.

Roleplaying is about roles....

And those roles have nothing to do with your class choice or your trinity role...  Your remark indicates you have no clue about the true soul of roleplaying.   As a roleplayer game mechanics are of no concern..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I typically gravitate towards RP servers since the maturity level tends to go up with those types of servers.  You don't get these people running around with dumb immersion breaking character names like "DoctorJizz" or "MeltFaces".

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I've never been to the operatic level of RP others play at. I play Landroval server in LotRO so the RP crew is present all the time and they do their thing, I do mine.

I do tend to get in character and 'RP' as it were, where I can incorporate. The whole crafted gear thing is an RP aspect of gaming for me. I make everything or am searching for things others have made. It adds depth and is a form of role playing.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Satarious
    I typically gravitate towards RP servers since the maturity level tends to go up with those types of servers.  You don't get these people running around with dumb immersion breaking character names like "DoctorJizz" or "MeltFaces".

This is exactly what I do. Now if someone does role play with me even if it's not my thing, I'll go along with them cuz I respect the maturity and immersion feel I get like I also saw on the landroval server in lotro. :-)

There Is Always Hope!

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    I will be roleplaying an orc that hates elves with a passion.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

You still get them occasionally.

Either they are there to troll the RPers or they just picked a server at random and don't even know what RP means.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SatariousSatarious Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

You still get them occasionally.

Either they are there to troll the RPers or they just picked a server at random and don't even know what RP means.

Yeah, but you wouldn't believe how on top of their game Role Players can be when it comes to reporting people.  I remember when WoW first came out with an RP server,  I jumped in with the name "Natasfonos".  Most people didn't figure it out, but this one guy read it backwards and sent me a nasty message before reporting me.  Which I don't mind so much, since these guys pretty much "take out the garbage" so to speak when it comes to people who show up with these lame, immersion breaking names.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981

This is definitely not as good as having a roleplaying server. But I cannot remember the last time a new MMO was announced and I have not noticed that roleplaying had once again been given a kicking. Possibly Lorto was the last one.

The problem is we have no idea how important the RP tag will be. Is it more important than guild and friends? If not, you had better make sure you are in a guild where everyone is RP tagged and all your friends are RP tagged.

The reason why they are using this technology is that it is cheaper. The only advantage to players is it stops you ending up on a very low population server. Usually though you would all get transferred to a new server, but that costs time and therefore money. This is about cost not about being with your friends, if you wanted to be with your friends you could just join the same server.

Also this stops the company needing to announce that it is closing down some servers, which gets reported on sites like this and prompts the idea that the MMO is dying. Because of reasons like this you are going to see every new MMO eventually launching with "megaservers".

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Anyone able to confirm if sitting in chairs is in yet, or if they changed their minds in making it possible?

That's the biggest deciding factor if I decide to RP in a game: it tells me if they truly care about the details required in immersion or if they're just trying to entice a crowd with sugar and sweet words (as this happens far too often, for those of you who don't follow the RP community the promises each game tends to make just to get their money).  Those who are not RPers might not understand the notion of using this as a factor, though as a whole I would think the Elder Scrolls fans would come to appreciate immersion.  Sitting in chairs was in the last couple games; I remember entering a tavern, getting into a bar fight, chopping a guy's head off... then sitting on the table and order a drink as the maid ran away screaming.  Then I bought an ale from the tavern keeper and said aloud:  "Sorry about the mess" while pretending to flip a coin on the counter while I got out and RP walked away like a badass.

I play games for the first free month to try them out, but it's the immersion factor and RP community / tools they provide that keep me there.  Especially if there's no raids or I've already completed the raid for that patch.

My days of having my RP guild or friends having a drink in a tavern, being forced to make emotes that they're sitting down in a chair, at a table... while everyone is very clearly standing next to it due to poor immersion factors are over.  It's 2014 and immersion is a real thing, especially with improved technology and realism.  Nothing more immersion breaking than that when it comes to what the game developers actually have control of.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

You cannot sit in chairs or on benches that exist in the world, however you can go up to a table in the tavern and type /sitchair and a chair will appear and you will sit in it.

This feature works perfectly for me.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock

You cannot sit in chairs or on benches that exist in the world, however you can go up to a table in the tavern and type /sitchair and a chair will appear and you will sit in it.

This feature works perfectly for me.

FYI - from my previous post I made it seem like this only works in a tavern.  It works everywhere by the way.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Comaf

Classes aren't narrative, just mechanical.  It even seems like an exaggeration to call them classes, considering how small the number of skills attached to them is.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981

Yaevindusk, no one makes MMOs for roleplayers now, it is always empty words. Roleplaying and for that matter gaming ethos only survives in those guilds that want to uphold them. We rely on our guilds to carry the torch, MMOs gave up on roleplaying and gaming ethos years ago.