Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 Things I DON'T want to see in my next MMORPG.

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

#1 Tutorial - Drop me in the game, then proc the keybindings settings. Anything beyond this is far too much.

#2 Cash Shop - Good luck huh? Atleast don't point me to it within my first 10 minutes of play. Don't point me to it at all. 

#3 Quest for levels design - Devs, if you can't think of a better way for me to progress my character, stop development. Go back to the drawing board. Come up with something else.

4# A weapon glued to my back - I don't know, there has to be a better way.

5#  Everyone the same size - All elves are not the same height and proportion. 

Wow, that was tougher than I originally thought.  My 5 are listed in the order they came to my head. 

What are the 5 Things YOU Don't want to see in your next MMORPG?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

1, Quest to level design

2, Porting wherever to instances

3 instances

4, quests that keep you out of areas because "you are not on the correct part of the quest"

5, Quests that ask you to destroy x of y or kill y of z but once you do that you still can see the things that need to be destroyed and still see the monsters that are terrorizing the area. It makes the whole thing cheap and the quest meaningless.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Mr.KujoMr.Kujo Member Posts: 383

[mod edit]

#3 Elfs, no more elfs and similar to elfs races. Thousand games are enough, spiky ear humanoids are not the pinnacle of human imagination, it is not that hard to do something more original.

That is basically all, so only 3.

• Scorp2778Scorp2778 Member Posts: 31

1. A easy leveling game on rails designed for a single player game not an mmo.

2. Poor crafting system.

3. Poor monster AI.

4. Boring PvP system.

5. Static linear world.

Those would have to be my 5.

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

1)Split faction, let us create our own factions by killing guards etc.

2) Quest Hub Leveling, so sick of collect this do that design.

3) Instances, give us open dungeons where multiple groups can be inside.

4)Lack of variety in character choices.

5)Gear progression that is reset every time a new raid comes out.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

1. Tokens

2. Cash shop

3.  Death penalty thats laughable

4. No item decay.

5. Flying mounts

That's quick off the top of my head, and could probably come up with some better, but these will do.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

My 5 things I don't want to see in my next MMO:

1. People who talk about WoW in a game that isn't WoW. If you see this happening you instantly know that game will have a miserable community.

2. People who keep talking about "old school" and "sandbox" and "OWPvP". We've heard it. Go away.

3. Forced anything. Allow for a variety of playstyles please. If someone doesn't want to PvP, they don't have to. If they don't want to solo, they don't have to. If they don't want to raid/craft/group/dance/etc . . . you get the picture.

4. "Fun" and/or "Silly" items in cash shops/holiday events. I'm not an RPer, but come on with the bathing suits and fuzzy animal backpacks and sunglasses. Bleh, let the world be interesting and consistent on its own. If I want silly, I'll go play Saint's Row.

5. Lack of customization. I need more to fiddle with, not less.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Rusque

4. "Fun" and/or "Silly" items in cash shops/holiday events. I'm not an RPer, but come on with the bathing suits and fuzzy animal backpacks and sunglasses. Bleh, let the world be interesting and consistent on its own. If I want silly, I'll go play Saint's Row.

Amen

Though I don't think those things are for the role players. If anyting they probably fly in the face of most role players' stories, especially when they are making stories that fit into the world.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    1. Cash shop
    2. Quests for leveling (yes i want to grind dungeons)
    3. instances
    4. Lack of trinity / jack of all trades classes
    5. cash shop

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534

1) Two sided factions (should be obliterated).

2) XP/Potions/Etc in cash shops if the game supports it. Stick to cosmetic items.

3) Linear quest design.

4) Forcing PvE players to PvP and PvP players to PvE (double gear,etc).

5) Spend a 100 million budget and make a 100k quality game.

• HaralinHaralin Member UncommonPosts: 148

1. Cashshop

2. Auction House

3. AOE Damage

4. Grind

5. Treadmill

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

1. cut scene

2. voice acting

3. action/arcade combat (I am ok with it in shooter mmo's but not in an  mmoRPG)

4.daylies grind

5.locked class / faction side

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Bully, EVE doesn't have any of those things.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

1.  Endgame

2. Free or virtually free fast travel

3.  Any kind of cash shop

4. Jokes and memes based on the real world

5. "Stylized" graphics

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

1) Linearity - Don't give me leveling paths via conveniently located quest hubs, or zones of progression in which must be completed in a level appropriate order.

2) Quest Hubs - I'd prefer a system in which quests were discovered by interacting with the environment or objects, without map or UI indication, rather than solely from NPC's who are incapable of solving their own problems. Hidden, non-indicated questing (for the explorer in me). I'm not opposed to a healthy combination of classic hubbing, and non-linear, non-indicated quests. Everyone wins.

3) Crafting Subpar to Raiding - I'm a bit tired of crafting being a secondary skill set that all players invest. I'd prefer to see the return of UO crafting, in which players were dependent upon individuals who specialized in making things, with item decay and destruction requiring the constant churn of the craft economy to supply players, or at the very least, required to repair those fancy items you got from a dungeon or whatever.

4) Instant Queueing - I can understand the convenience, and sometimes it's nice, but I don't understand why you would even need to build a world, as a developer, when you could just provide ports to multiple, miniature instances. I'd certainly prefer they wouldn't do that, as I enjoy the exploration and traveling about as much as any other aspect of MMO's.

5) Meaningless PvP - It'd be awesome to see the return of Guild alliance and hostility systems in many of these MMO's, even the themeparks. Much like the EVE or UO Guild warring systems, I don't understand why we can't have this functionality in most of our MMO's, especially since it creates a means to keep the world itself interesting in regards to vying for control of the map, via guild or faction.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218

1. The mmo community of today.

2. Themepark elements.

3. Easy AI.

4. PvP.

5. Easymode crafting.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by bcbully

What are the 5 Things YOU Don't want to see in your next MMORPG?

Here are mine:

1) Open world dungeons ... dungeons are better (for me) for small groups and in instances

2) FFA pvp

3) harsh dead penalty

4) Slow travel (i don't play games to walk 30 min in a virtual world)

5) Slow leveling (i prefer to finish content fast and move on)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

1. Stylized graphics: I'm getting tired of it, would prefer something with a bit more gritty realism

2. Pointless grinding: I don't mind some repetition and working towards goals, but I'm so totally done with mind-numbing, no point other than to grind, grinding

3. No appearance/cosmetic tab: Seriously, it's 2014. An appearance/costume tab should be a standard by now. No more transmogrification or cash-shop items to alter an item's appearance etc.

4. Pointless crafting: Also tired of spending so much time leveling crafting professions/skills only to have them be completely pointless and worthless compared to drops, especially in the ease of access

5. Bad launches: I've been playing in this genre far, far too long to have any patience left for poorly handled launches. Anticipate the demand, meet it, grow/scale down after. Period.

• KuviskiKuviski Member UncommonPosts: 215

1. Dungeon Finder

2. Everything you do giving XP or gear

3. F2P model

4. Different difficulty modes for the same content, they don't belong in MMORPGs

5. Unlimited cosmetic customization. I think its okay to be able to choose some cosmetic items like hats and cloaks maybe, but the gear you wear should reflect your character's level of power. So one should be see what you are actually wearing from your looks.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

My list would be:

1. NO linear quest hubs.. NONE.. The only NPC interaction will be vending, or repeatable bounties, or lore knowledge..
    2. No quick travel unless your class supports porting..
    3. No PvP balance..  Every time PvP balance is thrown into the picture, too many sacrifices have to be made on the PvE level..
    4. No instancing .. (PERIOD)
    5. Anti-social community..  Since there would be no instancing, the LFG and LFR buttons are gone :) woot woot.. If you want to look for a group.... TALK to people, or flag yourself as available..
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

1 - Max level.  Make it almost impossible to achieve

2 - BG's and arenas.  Either leave out PvP entirely or implement proper world PvP

3 - Elves, dwarves, fairies, dragons, goblins and orcs.  They are played out.

4 - Item drops.  Players should craft everything, you should only find materials.

5 - Cut scenes, voice overs and long intros.  All complete wastes of time and resources.  Put that money towards adding more areas, dungeons, abilities or classes.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• JinzouningenJinzouningen Member UncommonPosts: 39
    I love this thread. All i have to do is read and pretty much i agree with almost everyones list. Dont have to make a list myself heh its already here.
  • JinzouningenJinzouningen Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by Lawlmonster

1) Linearity - Don't give me leveling paths via conveniently located quest hubs, or zones of progression in which must be completed in a level appropriate order.

2) Quest Hubs - I'd prefer a system in which quests were discovered by interacting with the environment or objects, without map or UI indication, rather than solely from NPC's who are incapable of solving their own problems. Hidden, non-indicated questing (for the explorer in me). I'm not opposed to a healthy combination of classic hubbing, and non-linear, non-indicated quests. Everyone wins.

3) Crafting Subpar to Raiding - I'm a bit tired of crafting being a secondary skill set that all players invest. I'd prefer to see the return of UO crafting, in which players were dependent upon individuals who specialized in making things, with item decay and destruction requiring the constant churn of the craft economy to supply players, or at the very least, required to repair those fancy items you got from a dungeon or whatever.

4) Instant Queueing - I can understand the convenience, and sometimes it's nice, but I don't understand why you would even need to build a world, as a developer, when you could just provide ports to multiple, miniature instances. I'd certainly prefer they wouldn't do that, as I enjoy the exploration and traveling about as much as any other aspect of MMO's.

5) Meaningless PvP - It'd be awesome to see the return of Guild alliance and hostility systems in many of these MMO's, even the themeparks. Much like the EVE or UO Guild warring systems, I don't understand why we can't have this functionality in most of our MMO's, especially since it creates a means to keep the world itself interesting in regards to vying for control of the map, via guild or faction.

yes yes yes yes yes, i'm an old UO player too and i have no idea why people (players and devs) think all new mmos have to be built on the Wow way of doing things.

Levels arent necessary, instances......oh brother..instanced, phased areas....lazy,cheap, no one has the time to use in game travel to find a dungeon, they need to be ported. And yes imo the larger mmos do not have real pvp..its all setup and anticipated. why even do it? just go play street fighter 2 ..its the same thing.

Loved UO's guild war system , no levels..all skills and no crappy separated factions..why? why do you need it? and if you have them why cant they communicate with each other? oh because thats how Wow did it..nvm

easy mode on top of easy mode on top of cash shop multiplied by vanity items......

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

1.cash shops

2.cross realm crap

3.instanced mass duels

4.fast travel ,quest finders and such

5.console like gameplay

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• ChirikitiChirikiti Member CommonPosts: 18

1. Free-to-play

2. Cash Shop

3. Linear/Rails Play

4. Quest Hubs

5. End Game (An idea that has got to go. The whole game should be 'end game' from the start)

6. Bargain-basement crafting

7. Gear Progression

8. Dailies

9. Instances

10. Battlegrounds/Scenarios

11. Anything smacking of console play/cross platforming

Dishonourable Mention:

12. AD&D mentality (Ex. Paladins HAVE to be good {since when, oh yeah D&D said so 30 years ago)

It was always my hope that these games would try to emulate the pen-and-paper experience where ultimately they come from. Sadly they've pretty much gone in the opposite direction.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

1. An intrusive in-game cash shop

2. Tired end-game mechanics. 

3. Poor service for Oceanic players.

4. A cluttered UI.

5. Anti-social behaviour.