Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam Sale! 50% off!

!!! Game plus 30 days sub is on steam right now until Feb 25th for half off ($14.99 US). !!!

I've finally decided to try it. I didn't play FFXIV regular, and I hated XI, so here's hoping....

Anyhow, any east coast US guilds (or whatever FF calls them, I know its something different) want a total noob? I'm an adult with capability for voice chat, first login will likely be tomorrow evening or midday today, but I have a busy schedule either way and won't be on too much (downsides of being a responsible adult). I grew up playing the FF series and I'm familiar with the usual monsters and setting of the games.

Just leave a comment with server and some info!

Edit: Wow, I've been a member for 10 years and first post! I don't come here much.... 

Comments

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Ha, this game aint EVER going free to play.  Square is a large solvent company that can afford to literally throw away a game take a loss and make another. 

Plus I hear its a really good game for those who like it. It's not my cup of tea, I need it to start off faster, but for 15 bucks i may try it out again. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by dontadow

Ha, this game aint EVER going free to play.  Square is a large solvent company that can afford to literally throw away a game take a loss and make another. 

Plus I hear its a really good game for those who like it. It's not my cup of tea, I need it to start off faster, but for 15 bucks i may try it out again. 

Agreed. This game basically made them profitable this year. I'm guessing that the game made them like $60+ million MORE than what they expected that it would. Apparently they were forecasting for like a $20 million loss and that was with expected sales of like 5 million copies of Tomb Raider, which actually sold like 3.5 million. Plus they posted a 6-month profit of like $50 million. So do the math.  I'm guessing you won't see this game go free any time soon. Especially when it's like the only feather in your cap. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Apart from trying tactics to get new subscribers, don't expect any risky moves which might compromise their current state of the game. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Agreed. This game basically made them profitable this year. I'm guessing that the game made them like $60+ million MORE than what they expected that it would. Apparently they were forecasting for like a $20 million loss and that was with expected sales of like 5 million copies of Tomb Raider, which actually sold like 3.5 million. Plus they posted a 6-month profit of like $50 million. So do the math.  I'm guessing you won't see this game go free any time soon. Especially when it's like the only feather in your cap. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Apart from trying tactics to get new subscribers, don't expect any risky moves which might compromise their current state of the game. 

The sad thing is, this game is more like Final Fantasy than anything that came out for this last generation of game systems.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Plus you still have the next gen console release coming.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

Every mmo that went onto steam did so because they were desperate for players, I've never seen a successful mmo go onto steam.  At least not until way into their life when they were losing lots of players, steam demands large cuts of sales so no mmo company would do it unless they were desperate.  It's a last ditch effort almost always.

Also Square seem very scared to give actual numbers and instead spin out pr speak in their interviews and announcements.  A company proud of a success talk that way, they straight up state subscriber numbers.  Square are using smoke and mirrors and hiding behind pr spin words, "adventurers" does not mean subscribers, neither does total accounts made.  All of these terms are listing players that have long since quit the game, why would a company doing well feel the need to do that?

As I say, I can see how things are going and this before the big p2p hitters of ESO and Wildstar launch.  If it's not doing great now how will it be after they launch?  The mmo market isn't an ever lasting supply of players, it's a fairly static group that swap and change among titles.

Opinions vary, this is mine.  Time will tell.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by amber-r

Every mmo that went onto steam did so because they were desperate for players, I've never seen a successful mmo go onto steam.  At least not until way into their life when they were losing lots of players, steam demands large cuts of sales so no mmo company would do it unless they were desperate.  It's a last ditch effort almost always.

Not true. Some MMOs straight-up debut on there. If there is a medium that will get you an injection of 2000-3000 users then it's enough to consider. Especially when you're relying on subscriptions.

Also Square seem very scared to give actual numbers and instead spin out pr speak in their interviews and announcements.  A company proud of a success talk that way, they straight up state subscriber numbers.  Square are using smoke and mirrors and hiding behind pr spin words, "adventurers" does not mean subscribers, neither does total accounts made.  All of these terms are listing players that have long since quit the game, why would a company doing well feel the need to do that?

1.5 million. I don't know how that's shady. It's straight forward and it's all over the place. This isn't like SWTOR where there is a F2P option. It's not like it's a game where there is a free trial, so they can toss those in there. 1.5 million == 1.5 million box sales == 1.5 million subscribers. Even if they had a 50% drop off in subscribers between now and reporting, it's still 750,000 subscribers, so they're doing just fine with it. 1.5 million box sales would have been an achievement for most games. 

As I say, I can see how things are going and this before the big p2p hitters of ESO and Wildstar launch.  If it's not doing great now how will it be after they launch?  The mmo market isn't an ever lasting supply of players, it's a fairly static group that swap and change among titles.

Ahhhh, something I can agree with. That's the issue with the P2P model. You might have some people who will sub to multiple games, but I think that the overwhelming majority will shuffle. However, it's not necessarily a bad thing. It just means ebbs and flows in your revenues. You'll have your share of static fanboys who will always be there and others will move around. That's why content creation becomes a big deal in the later stages of a MMOs lifecycle. If your sustaining sucks, people will leave and not come back. Every game out there is a wait and hope, but if you can secure a good player base from the beginning it's a LOT easier to re-acquire those people again in the future. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Put your money where your mouth is...

Give me a 4-6 month time period where there will be an announcement that FFXIV is going free to play?  None of this vague crap about "Selling on Steam means your game is going down hill, and it won't be too long before this game goes F2P."

The prognostic-haters love to move the goal post.  First they say, this game will be free to play within 6 months of release.   Well, we're at the 6 month mark and absolutely no indication of free to play.   So please tell me, when we could expect this to happen, because i have no doubt, 5 years from now, IF the game goes free to play, you'll be back here saying "I told you so!"

Both us of will know that a game that can manage to stay P2P for 5 years is successful because no other game other than WoW, FFXI, and Eve have done it.

So again, put your money where your mouth is... tell us when we should expect this change from SE, because a game like SWTOR going free to play after 1 year, Rift going F2P after 2 years and most newer games going free to play before the 6 month mark (Secret World), there's a world of difference.

Here's my opinion, FFXIV will be just like FFXI.  It will never go free to play.

Edit:  In the next 4 months, however many subscribers SE has will be stable from here on out.  People that play an mmo for 10 months usually know it's their game of choice.  So If whatever subscription number we have in 4 months, will determine the future.

My guess is 450k subscribers.  Which means, FFXIV is never going Free to play.

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323
    Originally posted by ZizouX

Give me a 4-6 month time period where there will be an announcement that FFXIV is going free to play?  None of this vague crap about "Selling on Steam means your game is going down hill, and it won't be too long before this game goes F2P."

The prognostic-haters love to move the goal post.  First they say, this game will be free to play within 6 months of release.   Well, we're at the 6 month mark and absolutely no indication of free to play.   So please tell me, when we could expect this to happen, because i have no doubt, 5 years from now, IF the game goes free to play, you'll be back here saying "I told you so!"

Both us of will know that a game that can manage to stay P2P for 5 years is successful because no other game other than WoW, FFXI, and Eve have done it.

So again, put your money where your mouth is... tell us when we should expect this change from SE, because a game like SWTOR going free to play after 1 year, Rift going F2P after 2 years and most newer games going free to play before the 6 month mark (Secret World), there's a world of difference.

Here's my opinion, FFXIV will be just like FFXI.  It will never go free to play.

Edit:  In the next 4 months, however many subscribers SE has will be stable from here on out.  People that play an mmo for 10 months usually know it's their game of choice.  So If whatever subscription number we have in 4 months, will determine the future.

The only subscription announcement ever given was over 650k at launch, nobody knows what it is now because they won't say, all they will give is total accounts created which means nothing.

No big mmo has gone onto steam anywhere near launch, ffxi and eve did but only many years after their primes.  As I stated, no mmo would ever go onto steam out of pure choice because they simply take so much of a large cut of each sale.

As for when, well no mmo has gone f2p before the 11 month mark (SWTOR), so I would guess around the 1 year mark seems the most likely.  The next 6 months are when Elder Scrolls Online and Wildstar will be launching so whatever state the subscription base is now it will suffer its greatest losses at that time.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by ZizouX

The only subscription announcement ever given was over 650k at launch, nobody knows what it is now because they won't say, all they will give is total accounts created which means nothing.

No big mmo has gone onto steam anywhere near launch, ffxi and eve did but only many years after their primes.  As I stated, no mmo would ever go onto steam out of pure choice because they simply take so much of a large cut of each sale.

As for when, well no mmo has gone f2p before the 11 month mark (SWTOR), so I would guess around the 1 year mark seems the most likely.  The next 6 months are when Elder Scrolls Online and Wildstar will be launching so whatever state the subscription base is now it will suffer its greatest losses at that time.

Here's a reason why it would go on steam that has nothing to do with whether the game is doing well or poorly.  Yoshi has said they're taking the LONG term approach.  Making money on box sales is not as important as retaining ONE sub for 2-3 years.  If someone subscribes for 3 months, that's more than just paying for the box, playign for the free month and then dropping it.

By making the game so cheap to buy, is to increase your potential subscriber pool.  Let's say 2 million people buy the game, but only 400k subscribe at any give time.  Everytime there's a content patch, you have 2 million people who will potentially come back.  IF you make the game expensive to buy, less people are going to give it a chance.

This game is doing VERY well.  Financial report should be relased in a month.. we'll see then.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    I wish I didn't loath anime so much. I've been hearing a lot of good things about this game. It's just the imagery that keeps me away from FFXIV. Anime art makes me cringe.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.