Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is no ESO versus Wildstar

Comments

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I really don't see the competition between these two games either.

I think MMO fans like to pit "their game" against other games, but really ESO and WS aren't even targeting the same segment of the MMO market, and based on all the marketing and brand strength of ESO, I don't think WS is really even in the same class.

WS A or AA instead of ESO AAA maybe.

I wouldn't say that. The production value of WS is top notch. There is an NDA, but even by watching videos you can see that it isn't a second rate game. It is made by a core group of ex-Blizzard employees. I wouldn't say that is A or AA..... 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I really don't see the competition between these two games either.

I think MMO fans like to pit "their game" against other games, but really ESO and WS aren't even targeting the same segment of the MMO market, and based on all the marketing and brand strength of ESO, I don't think WS is really even in the same class.

WS A or AA instead of ESO AAA maybe.

I wouldn't say that. The production value of WS is top notch. There is an NDA, but even by watching videos you can see that it isn't a second rate game. It is made by a core group of ex-Blizzard employees. I wouldn't say that is A or AA..... 

But still there is clearly some Asian influence in the design team tooo...

for example classes only having acces to a single weapon is so typical asian RPG

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224

The simple way to look at them is ESO is designed for  box sales not long term play and wildstar is designed for long term play.

With the assurance of huge box dales from their IP ESO focused on eye candy and front loaded content  with no endgame.  Similar to what AoC, ToR and GW2 did in making short bterm games to maximize box sales. It's target audience is similar to ToR's not MMO players but singplers from outside the genre.

Wildstar is the direct opposite with its focus on endgame and long term subs appealing to EQ/Vanguard/DAOC and vanilla WoW old school players.  Investing most of its resources in endgame not frontloaded content.

Sure there is crossover.  But the two games are total different designs.  Both companies are putting in huge amounts of money but with a completely different design focus.

One of the few things they share in common is they are both sub based.  But then every AAA MMO ever released has been sub based with the exception of GW2.

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I think this is a strange question.  Not every game is for everyone, but I can't imagine everyone who plays one of these games will just ignore the other.  They both look fun and are not scheduled to release at the same time.  Eso sounds like it will have long term gameplay with the pvp they have planned, and they say they are going to be aggressive with making new content, we will have to see how that pans out.  Wildstar on the other hand is actually more likely to go head to head with the new WoW expansion and that audience might be a little more split as a lot of the design philosophies seem similar.

Not all who wander are lost...

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Hm. Having played both, I think WS and ESO represent the very opposite of the spectrum each, in many aspects. So I can not imagine they "steal" each others crowd.

The only thin in common is, both WS and ESO are old gen games and none of them pushes the MMO genre forward. Only Everquest Next does. Wilstar and Elder Scrolls Online are just "more of the same". Good in their own ways, but merely the n-th manifestation of Themepark MMOs as we have seen many times. *shrug*

I place my bet on Everquest Next and count ESO and WS just as a snack on the road to the true next gen MMO.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Elikal

Hm. Having played both, I think WS and ESO represent the very opposite of the spectrum each, in many aspects. So I can not imagine they "steal" each others crowd.

The only thin in common is, both WS and ESO are old gen games and none of them pushes the MMO genre forward. Only Everquest Next does. Wilstar and Elder Scrolls Online are just "more of the same". Good in their own ways, but merely the n-th manifestation of Themepark MMOs as we have seen many times. *shrug*

I place my bet on Everquest Next and count ESO and WS just as a snack on the road to the true next gen MMO.

Geeez at least with Wildstar and ESO people love or hate based on the little they have tried or seen. To crown EQnext as the next true next gen MMO is like investing in an international fund without knowing what countries the fund manager is investing in. You think you would have learned that from Archage.

There Is Always Hope!

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Fanbois and poeple with game type agendas always make it their game/game preference  V the next game to launch.It's always been that way.

And even EQ next makes mistakes like dumbing down the combat with to few realtime skills available and forcing people to use certain skilltypes in certain slots...   its the same thing both ESO and WS do..  which removes a whole layer of tactical combat from the table...  Character diversity was thrown out of the window, they force you to build a single purpose character, and thats what i dislike ..

Thats why i stopped following EQ Next for now...

On one side (world design) they are building a sandbox and on the other side(character development) they restrict peoples freedom

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by JemAs666
    I'm playing both.  Whichever game captures my attention gets my money.

I've tried both and Wildstar is without a doubt not my cup of tea.  So that leaves ESO until EQN releases.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MartyrMartyMartyrMarty Member Posts: 5
    I think Wildstar will be versing titles such as SWTOR and WoW.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

And even EQ next makes mistakes like dumbing down the combat with to few realtime skills available and forcing people to use certain skilltypes in certain slots...   its the same thing both ESO and WS do..  which removes a whole layer of tactical combat from the table...  Character diversity was thrown out of the window, they force you to build a single purpose character, and thats what i dislike ..

Thats why i stopped following EQ Next for now...

On one side (world design) they are building a sandbox and on the other side(character development) they restrict peoples freedom

Restricting use of a gazillion hotbars full of abilities is not dumbing the game down.  Limited hotbars do 3 things:

1. Make the game easier to balance since you'll never be able to equip every overpowered skill.
    2. less homogenization
    3. Gives players the option in building a suite of skills in as much the same way as any CCG does. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AzureblazeAzureblaze Member UncommonPosts: 130

I have not had a chance to try Wildstar out yet, but imo it seems a lot more "Fun" than ESO.

But then again, that is my opinion :)

Good luck to everyone, wherever you go.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

That may be because the western world isn't as relevant anymore. Is there a western subscription game, other than WoW, that actually makes more than Lineage or has a larger playerbase?

Those are two very different questions, since the pay structure for games in Asian countries is drastically different from the structure in western countries.  I don't know if anyone has done the exact math, but the average western player is worth substantially more than several average eastern players.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

That may be because the western world isn't as relevant anymore. Is there a western subscription game, other than WoW, that actually makes more than Lineage or has a larger playerbase?

Those are two very different questions, since the pay structure for games in Asian countries is drastically different from the structure in western countries.  I don't know if anyone has done the exact math, but the average western player is worth substantially more than several average eastern players.

^this would be excellent to see broken down and provided in these forums (worth meaning - cost-wise to the player). I think it would be valuable to see and used to make a decision on which game you're getting into. I would do the research, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. 

Originally posted by Instigator-Jones
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

^this would be excellent to see broken down and provided in these forums (worth meaning - cost-wise to the player). I think it would be valuable to see and used to make a decision on which game you're getting into. I would do the research, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. 

Lineage numbers, just like wow asia numbers show active accounts.... Mostly that means all accounts that where active over the last two years or so and still have some playtime left...

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    I really need to start making threads that people care about.
    Originally posted by moguy2

Yes more people should, because this forum on these boards is almost death...  It should spice up a little..    A great game like wildstar deserves more attention then this.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    I've personally decided I won't be playing 1 of these games, and I'm waiting to decide on the other.   BUT I hope they both do well enough (as FF:ARR is apparently doing) to show that the market for Subscription MMO's is still alive and strong, and that just because other devs are releasing 20 f2p thrown together cash grabs a month doesn't mean the entire genre has to go that route.
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by moguy2

Yes more people should, because this forum on these boards is almost death...  It should spice up a little..    A great game like wildstar deserves more attention then this.

I actually think most games would be better off with less attention, especially MMOs.  The shorter the amount of time people are aware of a game before it comes out, the less likely they are to form unrealistic preconceptions and then be disappointed when the game doesn't match their fantasy of what it should have been.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Are you the type of player that doesn't care about crafting or give two shits about lore or storyline and click through quests as fast as possible... and only cares about combat gameplay?  Are you a fan of small group PvP?   This is a buddy of mine, he enjoys  Wildstar.  He find ESO questing to be too slow paced and boring.

Are you the type that listens to dialogue, enjoys storyline and lore, enjoys crafting,  and enjoys an immersive world?  Are you a fan of RvR?  This is me, and I enjoy ESO.  I find Wildstar's text based 2003 questing to be god awful terrible.

They're about as far away from each-other as two themeparks can get. 

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234

There really is not ESO vs Wildstar, but there seems to be on the forums. It looks like Wildstar is the victim from the backlash from all the negative hype prior to ESO NDA lift. I don't know how many articles and comments I have seen where people meticulously and carefully are trolling for Wildstar fans to bite. It is like a diversion to put down Wildstar and to get people to only look at the graphics between the two games. 

Ultimately you sit at a pc, load up your favorite pc game, click buttons and stuff happens, graphics, crafting, instancing, rvr, pvp, raids, trinity,....... 

Perhaps there are some people that need "realistic" vs "cartoony" graphics as a means of testimony to their adulthood.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Reminds me of the WoW vs EQ2 days. WoW is better! Its got style! No, EQ2 is better! Its more realistic and not cartoony!

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by Draemos
    Are you the type of player that doesn't care about crafting or give two shits about lore or storyline and click through quests as fast as possible... and only cares about combat gameplay?  Are you a fan of small group PvP?   This is a buddy of mine, he enjoys  Wildstar.  He find ESO questing to be too slow paced and boring.

Are you the type that listens to dialogue, enjoys storyline and lore, enjoys crafting,  and enjoys an immersive world?  Are you a fan of RvR?  This is me, and I enjoy ESO.  I find Wildstar's text based 2003 questing to be god awful terrible.

They're about as far away from each-other as two themeparks can get. 

Yeah, same games have housing and world building and raids and some games dont have any of that. Cant compare them ;) . But the games are so different that hopefully both will end up being wildly successful and keep the genre going strong

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    When I seen this title I thought ohhhh Great, yet another game trying to ride the coat tails of ESO to fame.
  • TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    I agree.  The games are very different.