Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wurm Online: Reward Being Offered for Information Regarding DDoS Attack

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

UPDATE: We have received word from the Wurm Online team that a substantial reward is being offered for information about yesterday's DDoS attack on the game:

Earlier, developers announced that they were already looking at migrating the hosting of Wurm. When the attack forced them offline, they went straight ahead and pushed for this to happen as soon as possible. And as Rolf Jansson, creator of Wurm, were already close to finishing the tests and deal, he is confident that Wurm shall be running on the new servers within a day.

The upside of this is that the new servers would mean better overall performance, capacity and stability for Wurm Online.

Whilst working on the migration, the company made a bold move and offered a reward of 10 000€ for information or tips leading to the arrest of the person/s responsible for the attack.

Further, CodeClub reassures their players that no premium time will be lost and that their settlements are secure.

Wurm Online underwent a significant update earlier in the day but, later, servers were brought down after what developers are calling a "significant DDoS" attack.

• Shortly after todays update we were the target of a DDOS attack and our hosting provider had to pull us off the grid for now. We will be back as soon as possible but things are out of our hands since their other customers are affected. As we wrote in a previous news post we are planning on changing hosting anyways which should improve things for the future. We can offer 10 000 Euro for any tips or evidence leading to a conviction of the person responsible for this attack.

We'll keep you posted as this story develops.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Super cool, wish I was working at the host provider, I would be up 10, 000 Euros in no time.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• falc0nfalc0n Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Sure you would
  • LungingWolfLungingWolf Member Posts: 73
    Hmmm ... Fallen Earth, now Wurm Online. These DDoS attacks seem to be a pattern of some sort.

Waiting for: Citadel of Sorcery. Along the way, The Elder Scrolls Online (when it is F2P).

Keeping an eye on: www.play2crush.com (whatever is going on here).

• LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Who would waste their time DDOSing Wurm Online? I mean...like 30 people are being inconvenienced by this...
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Lasterba
    Who would waste their time DDOSing Wurm Online? I mean...like 30 people are being inconvenienced by this...

Teens trying to be cool.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by LungingWolf
    Hmmm ... Fallen Earth, now Wurm Online. These DDoS attacks seem to be a pattern of some sort.

Both probably seen as "soft targets" who could possibly yield customer details and credit card info. At worst, if the hackers can find account names and/or passwords, they run them against all other games to attempt to steal accounts of people with sloppy online security habits.

• AcidBurnedAcidBurned Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Actually population went up a lot  and has been since the big patch 3+ months ago.
  • sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Actually i downloaded the game. And when i wanted to play it i read this:/

I hope they come back up again soon so i can get to the digging and chopping and other brilliant sandbox features.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    The devs are handling ddos attacks very well, deciding to go to a new server host is a great idea for them.  Too bad they couldn't get it all set up tonight, so now it's going to be down for another day, but still kudos to them for being so responsive and communicating consistently.
  • WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by LungingWolf

Both probably seen as "soft targets" who could possibly yield customer details and credit card info. At worst, if the hackers can find account names and/or passwords, they run them against all other games to attempt to steal accounts of people with sloppy online security habits.

You need to look up what DDoSing is.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    I posted a Beeb article in another thread since I did not see this one here. Oops. I hope that they can catch the perps because it sucks to be DDoS'ed.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.