Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shroud of the Avatar: Huge Release 3 Features List Posted

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Portalarium has posted a massive list of features that Shroud of the Avatar players can expect to see when they try out the game during Release 3. The team has taken player feedback from the previous two released and packed Release 3 to the brim with features and enhancement to existing systems. Release 3 will kick off on Thursday, February 20th and run through Saturday, February 22nd.

• Shopping: Shopkeepers will be open for business for selling and buying. NOTE: Now that we have this functionality coupled with crafting we have removed many of the loot chests and greatly reduced the content that can be found in them. The chests mentioned in the Ten Ton Hammer article were only for very early testing of R3.

• Configurable Controls: We completely understand the myriad reasons why players desire the ability to play the game with different control schemes so we have started adding this functionality. This first version is quite basic so expect us to expand what controls this can change as we get further in the schedule.

• Crafting Improvements: We made a bunch of improvement to make crafting more useable while preserving the experimentation and discovery aspect.

• Auto Place: Once you discover a recipe you can double click on it in the recipe log to automatically place all ingredients and tools on the table.

• Take All: There is now a “take all” button that removes everything on the table

• Starter Recipes: Crafting Log now starts with a handful of recipes

• Recipe Status: Recipes now display the status of whether they can be crafted including details about what ingredients you have, or do not have, in your inventory

• More Recipes: 52 more recipes bring our grand total to 153.

Read the full list on the Shroud of the Avatar site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Kind of pumped to be able to see what multiplayer feels like in this. The last couple of releases just felt so empty because there were no other players and all of the npcs were bland.
  • jtripperjtripper Member UncommonPosts: 115

Looking at their releases, they're just releasing features over time.  This one looks pretty good now that multiplayer is available.  I think most backers are still waiting for two big things: combat in Release 4 and then PvP combat in maybe Release 5.  And everyone else with only a passing interest is waiting for the real Beta later this year, when everything comes together and has a ton more content and polish.

• therdretherdre Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I was really excited about this game (I pledged in their kickstarter) but soon after the first alpha test I got extremely disapointed when they added in the cash shop.  Seems like a great idea but its going to be a pay to win game and I know the developers have said that they are considering adding in an option to buy gold in the cash shop as well which would just ruin the game.
    Originally posted by therdre
    I was really excited about this game (I pledged in their kickstarter) but soon after the first alpha test I got extremely disapointed when they added in the cash shop.  Seems like a great idea but its going to be a pay to win game and I know the developers have said that they are considering adding in an option to buy gold in the cash shop as well which would just ruin the game.

Right now, there is no cash shop.  Don't confuse that with the ongoing funding campaign.  The game has not launched yet, so there's no such thing as a cash shop -- YET.  Only once the game launches will we see what's still in the Add On Store available for purchase and decide then if whatever items are sold will create any dominating advantage for players.

And regarding the ability to buy gold, that has never been confirmed and are ideas they're toying with.  And buying gold by itself is not P2W.  It's what you can buy with it that makes it P2W.  If you can buy experience potions, clearly P2W.  If you can buy house decorations like plates and spoons...uhm no.  If you can buy cosmetic gear to pretty up your avatar, nope.

They know the world is watching them on this and it's going to be very interesting to see what they do given that they have no subscriptions to play.  For all we know, this game could turn out to be Beauty Pageant of the Avatar or Cribs of the Avatar.

• TekmonTekmon Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Most excellent!  The game is progressing very nicely.  
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Originally posted by jtripper

Right now, there is no cash shop.  Don't confuse that with the ongoing funding campaign.  The game has not launched yet, so there's no such thing as a cash shop -- YET.  Only once the game launches will we see what's still in the Add On Store available for purchase and decide then if whatever items are sold will create any dominating advantage for players. 

Both of you are wrong.

There WILL be a cash shop. But it isn't going to be "pay to win".

I have to wonder if either of you actually read anything about the game at all. They stated plainly that there will be a shop, and not just for items they make "like houses" but also PLAYER created content will be sold, with the creator getting most of the sales. Any armor or weapons sold on the shop will be normal items, not stat based.

Also, this game is going to have an offline option so you can play it like a single player game so it would be like buying the original Ultima games. You can also play online, but alone. Online with "friends" only or full MMO.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

How do you like it so far?   I'm really interested, been a Richard Garrott fan for years, and I really could use some input on this one.

Originally posted by JJ82
    Originally posted by jtripper

Both of you are wrong.

There WILL be a cash shop. But it isn't going to be "pay to win".

I have to wonder if either of you actually read anything about the game at all. They stated plainly that there will be a shop, and not just for items they make "like houses" but also PLAYER created content will be sold, with the creator getting most of the sales. Any armor or weapons sold on the shop will be normal items, not stat based.

Also, this game is going to have an offline option so you can play it like a single player game so it would be like buying the original Ultima games. You can also play online, but alone. Online with "friends" only or full MMO.

I never said there never will be a cash shop.  I'm just saying one does not exist right now because the game hasn't launched yet and it's all speculation.  Everything being offered is to drive the funding campaign.  Once the game launches, only then will we see what truly is a "cash shop".  I fully expect tons of housing options (house variations, interior and exterior house decorations), avatar options (clothing, gear), miscellaneous items like more snowballs, fireworks, and even consumables like chocolates (they were going to do that for Valentines but didn't have time).  I'm very up to date on the  game.

But we cannot in any way shape or form claim what we know about ANY cash shop post launch because they have not confirmed anything definitively  -- only ideas they're toying with.  It may be very likely that some of the existing items stick around, but you never know.  They change their minds randomly and sometimes make contradictory decisions (founder / KS exclusivity, anyone?). I would not be so naive as to think there won't be any items of "advantage" in the cash shop post-launch.  How big of an advantage, we won't know until we see it.

Ignoring all that, you can definitely play the game offline and not be affected by any cash shop, but naturally they want to monetize the players so they encourage us to at least play SPO.  The default online mode will be OPO.  Richard has said that any player that goes online, they will make every attempt to monetize them as much as possible.  Which is why the tax-free deeds, tax-free vendors, etc. are pledge rewards to backers -- to drive funding.

• stvnkrs10stvnkrs10 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

How do you like it so far?   I'm really interested, been a Richard Garrott fan for years, and I really could use some input on this one.

So far it is difficult to tell as we are still very very early on.It's kind of akin to asking Doctor how surgery is going after he has just made the first incision ;) I like the ideas and the graphics are pretty decent and housing seems very cool. Combat implementation will be the crucible for this game. If the combat is bad, they will struggle much like TSW did. If they get it right, it could be the next best thing since UO. In RG we trust, I hope he does it right since I pledged 550 bucks at kickstart for this and with other games coming down the pipe with a awesome fun factors like Wildstar, Albion, and GV hopefully this turns out well and implements some of the magic that still makes people like me talk about UO after all these years.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    That screenshot...Lum as in "Lum the mad" ?
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Coming along nicely really was not expecting this level of progress,think Mr Garriot has taken lessons from his mate Mr Roberts on how to make a crowd funded community game work.
    p>
  • ChuzpahChuzpah Member CommonPosts: 12
    Played all three releases and this game has come a long way in a very short time. The game does not disappoint and is well worth your time and money!
  • Stile_TeckelStile_Teckel Member Posts: 8
    Yes, Lum the mad is one of the many  people on the Dev team with a long history of helping to cretae Ultima games are that are leaders game development.