Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Dungeons & Dragons Online: The Legendary Halls Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The 40th anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons is just around the corner and Turbine's Dungeons & Dragons Online is celebrating with Update 21: The Legendary Halls.  They will be adding two huge new wilderness areas, two very challenging raids, and updates to epic destinies and in game collectible cards that offer prizes. Read on for a full preview from our dev tour with the Turbine team earlier this week.

Read more of Michael Haro's Dungeons & Dragons Online: The Legendary Halls Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    It's great that they are adding raids to this game still. Yet I never played dnd online and I now wish I did.

Yet for lotro turbine have stopped all dungeons and making raids.

It's obvious the turbine layoffs came from lotro then.

Such a shame

Actually DDO was hit as well, most of the work done for this is done already and there's just tweaking left to do, all this has been up on lamm the preview servers already.

I posted about the DDO layoffs here.  Take a look before jumping to conclusions that are false.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    It's great that they are adding raids to this game still. Yet I never played dnd online and I now wish I did.

Such a shame

DDO is a great game IMO and perfect for that group of 3-5 friends to each create a character with roles typically needed in 3.0 D&D i.e. Tank/Heals/DPS and utility such as Thief.

Druid Class is my favorite.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Such a shame

DDO is a great game IMO and perfect for that group of 3-5 friends to each create a character with roles typically needed in 3.0 D&D i.e. Tank/Heals/DPS and utility such as Thief.

Druid Class is my favorite.

Yes I especially love that you can solo most dungeons *but* you can also ramp up the difficulty and play the same dungeon with a group of friends for better loot. Why Turbine didn't use the same system in LOTRO and why no other game uses it I'll never understand.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

DDO is a nice game, especially given that you can try out quite a bit for free. Unfortunately, you either have to play quite a lot, and repeat every thing you *can* play a dozen times to be able to unloch them with what you can acquire ingame, or you need to pay.

Still, it's one of the best F2P out there.

I also loved the way they did traps etc. Not even the other D&D games did it that good, probably because of the more top-down/isometric perspective (though you could use third/first person at least in NWN2). More games should use traps like that, and allow players to spot them, and thieves etc. to tumble through and disarm them, instead of automatically applying the damage no matter what you do.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Anireth

DDO is a nice game, especially given that you can try out quite a bit for free. Unfortunately, you either have to play quite a lot, and repeat every thing you *can* play a dozen times to be able to unloch them with what you can acquire ingame, or you need to pay.

Still, it's one of the best F2P out there.

I also loved the way they did traps etc. Not even the other D&D games did it that good, probably because of the more top-down/isometric perspective (though you could use third/first person at least in NWN2). More games should use traps like that, and allow players to spot them, and thieves etc. to tumble through and disarm them, instead of automatically applying the damage no matter what you do.

Yeah, best "dungeon crawl" MMO out there.

• huskerman34huskerman34 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    DDO is fun. It took a while to figure out how to play and how to spec a Elf ranger. Its different than most mmorpgs i have played. Where there is linear stroyline quest. In DDO your storyliine quests vary from house to house. Its fun the only downside to this game is the feeble minded Hirelings. This game is fun.

Edgar F Greenwood