Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online: New In-Game Video Celebrates Q4 Milestone Achievement

Comments

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Looks very promising, cant wait for the mac release!!
  • chillizchilliz Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Wait was is this 1998??  This looks bloody atrocious.  Abit of lighting dosnt change the fact these animations and combat and attacking make it look like its 1998.  Bloody hell all those millions gathered in crowd funding and this is what they came up with???

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

This is just alpha showing for backers. Its not final animations, just placeholders.

Dont forget that this game has rpg mechanic 100x times more complex than your run of the mill MMO. So they are working on this first.

• chillizchilliz Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    Ohhhh the ultimate sandbox experience, look at the video at the beginning : hitting a scarecrow!! now that is sandbox!! hit an invulnerable object to raise skill. can it get anymore "old school" than that? or can there be any other game with such "intelligent" design? or "depth" and "immersion"?  

haha how true.  

I guess being sandbox means hitting a tree for 30 mins and getting a skill point, and going afk while a macro goes farming for you. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Hugolin
    plis someone explain me why i should be excited about this game, outdated graphics, lame animations...we are in 2014 you know, even a 14 years old korean kid can do better. so explain to me what is awesome about this game

Considering for you the only negative you mentioned were graphics related... I say go watch a movie since obvious you don't care remotely about gameplay and just looks. I pitty you for that.

Anyways, good to see such progress being made on a game. Considering its quite low budget, it looks great even in very early stages of development. Given some polish and time this might turn out to be a great game, given people can realize games are about gameplay and early alpha footage isn't likely all that well polished up.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    plis someone explain me why i should be excited about this game, outdated graphics, lame animations...we are in 2014 you know, even a 14 years old korean kid can do better. so explain to me what is awesome about this game

It's either you get it or don't

There is nothing to explain.

Some people like FPS style MMOs, some others like the RPG aspect of the MMO.

Personally I like this game, I cannot wait to pledge some money.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by coretex666

Games with worse graphics are often much heavier on the RPG side which is what I am looking for.

The graphics just need to be "sufficient" for me to enjoy the RPG.

This game looks good enough and I am really looking forward.

I should probably get more info about it.

Is there any good source of information regarding character progression, gearing, crafting, enchanting, etc?

Mm, graphics have got better each time from the kickstarter video on towards the other milestones (3) and now 4, it's getting there.

ProgressionYour Pathfinder Online Character

Crafting/ProductionButchers, Bakers and Candlestick Makers & Iron and Coke, Chromium Steel

EnchantingIf I Had a Hammer

All these systems will start off basic in the Early Enrollment, however.

• KuuhnKuuhn Member Posts: 41

I watched this based on the fact that I previously followed nothing about this game or its kick-starter phase and wanted to see something of what it was about. 

I finished watching it and and it left a good taste in my mouth. I find it funny that everyone has such disdain for the graphics and the animations.. unless you're 15 years old.. you've played games with these graphics before.. in fact you probably loved the shit out of them too. Seeing this does nothing but remind me of games that I played years ago and how awesome they were. Even though this is an early peek at the game and the graphics and animations may get better.. if they didn't it wouldn't sway my chances of trying it out. Perhaps what we need is less emphasis on graphics and more so on mechanics. Bring the RPG element back to MMORPGs.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I thought it looked good for the stage of development that it is in.  The character models seem to have a new "weight" to them and I like it.  I like the new spell effects too.  Best part is, it's being built on a nice deep IP and so it will have plenty of stuff you won't see in vids like this.  Can't wait to see more.

Everyone griping is doing so out of distaste for the current graphics and you all need to just stop with your knee jerk reactions to what your eyes see.  ALPHA! Meaning, the graphics aren't even anywhere near polished and won't be for quite a long while.  Same with animations.  Now, if it looks this way in Beta and closer to release, then you all might have a point.  Until then, no.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

In all honesty there is only one answer to this type of question and that is: There are many many mmorpgs out there that will have better graphics if that is your preference: You have riches to pick from and pfo is probably not the game you're looking for.

I think about 98% of the games listed on this sites somewhat vast data-table of mmorpgs warrant 0% interest from me for eg.

===

Agree with the comments the sickle-health bar halo seems to get in the way and other observations such as animation needs more work, but hey it's a backer work in progress update video and it's a lot better than the kickstarter vid and the previous Milestone 3 video, the improvements direction is positive.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Surprised at all the comments about graphics. For me the actual gameplay is far more important. I am clearly not alone in that, or games like Minecraft and Starbound wouldn't be so popular. When did MMORPGs even become a genre capable of having graphic snobs?
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    Ohhhh the ultimate sandbox experience, look at the video at the beginning : hitting a scarecrow!! now that is sandbox!! hit an invulnerable object to raise skill. can it get anymore "old school" than that? or can there be any other game with such "intelligent" design? or "depth" and "immersion"?  

~.~ thats not how their progression system works zzzzz

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    love how this game looking,great work,can't wait for  start playing
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This just reaffirmed my notion that watching people play MMORPGs is bloody boring.  Doesn't matter how finished the game is, it's just boring.  Boh.  Rang.

Anyway, I think it's really cool that they've managed to get where they are, and managed to actually build something.  I would be really curious at how successful the tech demo was in raising money and what their overall budget is.  I'll never find out, but I'd really like to know.  They are only a year into the project so hopefully it gets finished.  My only other comment is that they are a motley looking crew.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    IDK, fire the video guy. Very bad video.
  • DayneOrlyDayneOrly Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Anyway, I think it's really cool that they've managed to get where they are, and managed to actually build something.  I would be really curious at how successful the tech demo was in raising money and what their overall budget is.  I'll never find out, but I'd really like to know.  They are only a year into the project so hopefully it gets finished.  My only other comment is that they are a motley looking crew.

You can actually find out near exactly what the budget is, how much they have spent and what the have spent it on.  Its currently the second newest post on the blog(this movie is the newest), its for the backers but its public, you can also see alot more of what they are doing with the game as a whole.

• bexinhbexinh Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Remind me of Everquest 1 back in 2001. Is this game made over 10 years ago?
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    Originally posted by Avarix
    Surprised at all the comments about graphics. For me the actual gameplay is far more important. I am clearly not alone in that, or games like Minecraft and Starbound wouldn't be so popular. When did MMORPGs even become a genre capable of having graphic snobs?

Graphics don't need to be top notch to me. But they need to be decent. Great gameplay will keep me playing for a long time but it's got to be at least somewhat visually appealing for me to explore the game enough to even experience gameplay. Right now, I can see the points that a lot of the posters are making and agree that it looks pretty rough. The movement isn't so hot, the UI looks like a rough placeholder, and the "out of range" would drive me crazy. The fire at 1:38 was pretty sweet so I expect the team has potential. I'm not willing to write the game off like (presumably) some of the others are. But based on the footage, I would guess/hope that we're looking at a game that's at least 18-24 months away from launch.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    I think this game is coming along quite nicely, I've been watching it ever since the kick-starter and hope that they get lot's more money to continue to develop it and polish it. This could be something quite special for the MMO genre it carried out to it's full potential.

As for graphics, I wouldn't worry about that...It looks like it will end up being extremely well done graphically/visually when it's finished.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

I'm still confused as to why Eastern devs are able to make realistic art style MMO gameplay look good while the Western ones always look terrible and stiff.

Not talking about flashy or over the top as tends to be the case, but more so the actual basic animations.

There's obviously some unwritten rule stating we can't have both that everyone seems to follow.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Alders

I'm still confused as to why Eastern devs are able to make realistic art style MMO gameplay look good while the Western ones always look terrible and stiff.

Not talking about flashy or over the top as tends to be the case, but more so the actual basic animations.

There's obviously some unwritten rule stating we can't have both that everyone seems to follow.

Because Eastern developers spend all their time on the graphics and little on the actual game play portion.   Hence you have mostly beautiful games coming out of Asia with little substance to them.   If you notice a lot of those fancy graphic games don't seem to be doing very well.

Me give me substance any day in the week.  Graphics will always be secondary.  

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by Alders

Because Eastern developers spend all their time on the graphics and little on the actual game play portion.   Hence you have mostly beautiful games coming out of Asia with little substance to them.   If you notice a lot of those fancy graphic games don't seem to be doing very well.

Me give me substance any day in the week.  Graphics will always be secondary.  

Oh i agree and that's kind of my point.

I'd kill for an MMO with realistic art style that has substance, content, great combat, a focus on interdependence, and reputation meaning something.  Perhaps a pipe dream but i see no reason why we shouldn't want or expect some studio to deliver it all.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I fail to see what in this video is getting people frothing at the mouth.  If it was 2002 or thereabouts and this video was released I can understand the excitement, but really?   I dont get it. 
  • Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I fail to see what in this video is getting people frothing at the mouth.  If it was 2002 or thereabouts and this video was released I can understand the excitement, but really?   I dont get it. 

good gameplay and rpg mechanics are timeless.  Also, the game is in Pre-Alpha.  Most likely what we are seeing visually in terms of graphics/animation is far from what will be implemented in beta and release.  That being said, because of the size of the company and the focus of the game,  it won't have BF3/4 realism, but It should be good enough.  We shall see.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN