Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online: New In-Game Video Celebrates Q4 Milestone Achievement

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Goblinworks has released a brand new video today that shows off some impressive in-game footage from Pathfinder Online (the music is terrific too!). The video was released to celebrate the Q4 2013 Milestone Achievement the team earned by meeting its stated goals for the quarter. Check it out and let us know what you think in the comments.

The footage you are going to see was captured in game while our staff adventured in the River Kingdoms. Nothing you are seeing was altered in post-production, and everything you see is in the game working exactly as you see it. While capturing the video, our camera character wasn't necessarily being played to maximum efficiency or ability! So you won't necessarily be seeing the most effective use of feats, weapons, tactics, etc.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• fierce750fierce750 Member Posts: 37

Wow that looks A LOT like an updated version of DAOC!

I am actually interested in this now!

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Now this is a game that I'm enthusiastic about. I don't care that the graphics aren't stellar.
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Looks good, but I hope those curved health bars overlaying the players & enemies are not final- they look kinda wacky don't they?

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    yeah, I agree those health bars are kind of a distraction to me.

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• CananCanan Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I'm such a fan of this game!!
  • HugolinHugolin Member UncommonPosts: 83
    plis someone explain me why i should be excited about this game, outdated graphics, lame animations...we are in 2014 you know, even a 14 years old korean kid can do better. so explain to me what is awesome about this game
  • NodboNNodboN Member UncommonPosts: 50

eh, graphics look ok. nothing new. the only part of the combat i liked was huge aoe spell, not that the dmg goes that far out, just the look of a huge ice blast was awesome.

i know people still love tab targeting, but it makes combat look static.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Pre alpha footage is already looking a lot better than it did for the tech demo. Even as they edge closer to their goals I don't expect combat will be where this game shines though, it'll be the politics, factional warfare, crafting and so on. I like the comparisons to a fantasy based Eve Online and like Eve I don't think combat will be it's strongest link.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    This is not looking good at all, come on guys...  I know it's alpha but at least have some proper animations or something in there.  That just looks like a straight up terrible experience all around.  I guess only time will tell but I'm not even remotely interested in this game despite being a huge fan of the Pathfinder tabletop game.
    I like to complain about games.
  • THEHIGTHEHIG Member UncommonPosts: 8
    The real issue is that everything Ryan Dancey touches turns to crap. So be prepared...
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Ridrith
    This is not looking good at all, come on guys...  I know it's alpha but at least have some proper animations or something in there.  That just looks like a straight up terrible experience all around.  I guess only time will tell but I'm not even remotely interested in this game despite being a huge fan of the Pathfinder tabletop game.

While this is pre-alpha I couldn't agree more.  Hopefully some good solid motion capture animations gets implemented sometime in alpha or early beta.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Looks ok for a small Indie team,my suggestion,lose the + sign in front of the damage and remove those half circle arrows around the player and over top the enemy,not needed and uglies the screen from enjoying the combat.

Would also be nice to see one or more vertices in the arm,the swinging motion looks blocky/clunky.

Music is ok yes.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Ridrith

While this is pre-alpha I couldn't agree more.  Hopefully some good solid motion capture animations gets implemented sometime in alpha or early beta.

Come on guys, especially you azzamasin, you both should know in pre-alpha, alpha, and early beta animations are irrelevant. They are testing and balancing mechanics, hit boxes, scripting, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Making things look pretty comes after making sure things work.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Looks ok for a small Indie team,my suggestion,lose the + sign in front of the damage and remove those half circle arrows around the player and over top the enemy,not needed and uglies the screen from enjoying the combat.

Would also be nice to see one or more vertices in the arm,the swinging motion looks blocky/clunky.

Music is ok yes.

Those half circles are distracting. it's my hope that is a tesing thing and is not part of the presentation. In any case NOW I'm interested in this game.

I can forgive the graphics and animations. Though I imagine they will get a little better.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

What's with the graphics comments.

a) It's a peek at what's being developed behind closed doors, not the final product

b) Gameplay >> graphics

c) Would you rather wait until release date to see this Work in progress?

Originally posted by Wizardry

Music is ok yes.

Agree 100% with all of your suggestions.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Honestly, the combat looks unplayable... 

Let's hope it improves a lot, because I'm like the setting very much.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• DayneOrlyDayneOrly Member UncommonPosts: 5

1:38 ..... that is all

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Originally posted by saker
    Now this is a game that I'm enthusiastic about. I don't care that the graphics aren't stellar.

Yeap

Originally posted by Hugolin
    plis someone explain me why i should be excited about this game, outdated graphics, lame animations...we are in 2014 you know, even a 14 years old korean kid can do better. so explain to me what is awesome about this game

If you are playing MMO's for graphic you are doing it wrong.  Simply put the need to render 10/100/1000 players in real time outweigh looking good.

See here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/405460/page/1

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283

I was looking for the tee box...the forest looks like a golf course.

Good Luck..

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    gogo indie. One request, all those building, make sure we can go in them. thanks!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Ohhhh the ultimate sandbox experience, look at the video at the beginning : hitting a scarecrow!! now that is sandbox!! hit an invulnerable object to raise skill. can it get anymore "old school" than that? or can there be any other game with such "intelligent" design? or "depth" and "immersion"?  

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116
    The frost breath and Fire breath looks realistic and awesome, the rest of the spell effects such as fireball or frostbolt or whatever it is, they seriously need to rewamp, and a new UI is definitively needed, and characters need to be more attached to the enviorement, floating to much and it seems like the legs aint following the phase they are running, looks dumb. But im sure they can do better, it is early in development afterall, but dont give up good graphics on the excuse of good gameplay, both is necessary
  • fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    That animation is cringe worthy which is really a shame because it's an area most games fail hard at. You can also tell that the game will end up being nothing like pathfinder which will piss off a lot of backers guaranteed.
  • ZajjarZajjar Member UncommonPosts: 116
    lol thought this was pantheon... gggg