Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taxes?

UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281
Anyone know if guilds can impose any sort of taxes?

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

Comments

• isanderSWGisanderSWG Member Posts: 37
    You might be the only person in the world that has asked for more taxes...
  • DamediusDamedius Member Posts: 346
    Originally posted by isanderSWG

He runs a guild. He wants to know if he can tax his minions.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Unless there was some kind of guild housing this is the dumbest thing I ever heard.

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193

Well, I don't really want to pay a monthly tax or something for being a guild member, but something like X % of the gold guild members loot from mobs is deposited in the guild bank, I would agree to.

3 or 5 % of dropped gold being perceived as ''tax'' would be acceptable for me. Let's say the lvl 50 monsters drop 100 gold (it'S probably way less in reality lol), players would recieved 95 gold, not much of a difference, I don't think anyone would really mind. With 5 % dropped gold going to the guild bank, with a big enough guild (a few hundred players), the guild bank would be overflowing before long.

Napkin math : With a big 300 players guild, killing a small 15 mobs each in a day at 5% of 100 gold dropped, that's over 20 thousand gold in a day. If the lvl 50 mobs drop 20 gold, that's 4500 gold, which isn't bad either as this means 135 000 gold in a month. Make the ''tax'' 1%, and it's still 27 000 gold a month just from dropped gold.

I would agree with a system like I described, but a real tax system where the player would have to pay X gold every first of the month.... no way

• isanderSWGisanderSWG Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by deveilblad

Well, I don't really want to pay a monthly tax or something for being a guild member, but something like X % of the gold guild members loot from mobs is deposited in the guild bank, I would agree to.

3 or 5 % of dropped gold being perceived as ''tax'' would be acceptable for me. Let's say the lvl 50 monsters drop 100 gold (it'S probably way less in reality lol), players would recieved 95 gold, not much of a difference, I don't think anyone would really mind. With 5 % dropped gold going to the guild bank, with a big enough guild (a few hundred players), the guild bank would be overflowing before long.

Napkin math : With a big 300 players guild, killing a small 15 mobs each in a day at 5% of 100 gold dropped, that's over 20 thousand gold in a day. If the lvl 50 mobs drop 20 gold, that's 4500 gold, which isn't bad either as this means 135 000 gold in a month.

I would agree with a system like I described, but a real tax system where the player would have to pay X gold every first of the month.... no way

That reminds me of a game I'd heard of where guild ranking was determined by the value of the treasures, equipment, and money that was donated on behalf of the guild.  Top guild within a certain time frame got temporary stat increases that persisted for like two weeks or so.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Damedius
    Originally posted by isanderSWG

He runs a guild. He wants to know if he can tax his minions.

Wonder if his minions find themselves a new Guild Leader instead image

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I don´t think its a stupid question at all..

If there is reason that guilds spend money, taxes is a very viable option.

And i think guilds requiring monetary assets is one of the things required when having a meaningfull high level guild system

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MithoronetteMithoronette Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Uzik
    Anyone know if guilds can impose any sort of taxes?

To answer the question, no, there is no means for guilds as a whole to make money.  In fact, you cannot even deposit gold into the bank system.  Even though a guild can claim and defend a keep and have their guild store accessible to the public at large (for their faction) the guild does not profit from this, only the individual members who are selling items in the store.

In one sense this makes sense as there are no monetary aspects a guild leader or guild as a whole needs to purchase.  Siege equipment and such are purchased through Alliance Points for the most part, even though they do have gold values as well.  The perks and such for claiming a keep are passive and you do not have to select them or purchase them.

That being said, I would not mind gold being able to be deposited in the guild bank so the guild as a whole can develop their economy, purchase items for its guildies, etc.  And to that end, being able to impose taxes through the Guild Store when owning a keep would be viable...but that is not currently an aspect of the game...

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I don´t think its a stupid question at all..

If there is reason that guilds spend money, taxes is a very viable option.

And i think guilds requiring monetary assets is one of the things required when having a meaningfull high level guild system

I agree.

If your leaders are actually good leaders, they'll find great use for a tax system.  Ideally, it would go straight back into guild member pockets.  Perhaps a guild crafter could make great use of being able to fuel their profession from a small guild tax.  Which then potentially high level crafted items for the members of the guild, for free even.  There's the whole PvP side of it as well.  Siege equipment will cost gold, and sometimes an awful lot of it.  A guild tax would certainly help your guild purchase the items required for sieges, instead of always asking individuals to pay for things themselves.

Just a few examples there, so that people can see, if you put some thought into it, there are some very positive things that can come from a tax system.  I do disagree with taxing players for admission, or to remain in a guild.  A percentage of gold earned is definitely what I would prefer.

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281

Anyone who has ever run a guild in a PvP or Sandbox game knows how much it can cost to try and progress crafters and provide materials for PvP.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin