Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can we get a 3rd bar? 2 is not enough

HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821

Okay first of all I was like : there are too few skills

and now I am like : can I get a 3rd skill bar?

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills

Seriously, use all of your points and see how many skills you will take in order to make your build better. Two bars is not enough. Including ALL of these aspects... PvP, Guild, World, ... jeez!

Comments

• GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

It is called making choices.

Two bars is what the game is designed around.

All those choices and only two bars means everyone can potentially be a little different from each other.

• SoulTrapOnSelfSoulTrapOnSelf Member Posts: 190
    do you want to make nightblades more overpowered, don't you? :)
  • KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103

Two bars means the two MAIN Weapon choices you make, and that's for IN COMBAT switching.

You can still swap out other weapons and use other skill bars but not IN COMBAT switching, so choose your two main weapons carefully.

Atleast that's how I assume it works, anyone else know?

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Kinda like it the way it is, maybe an extra button added to the 2 bars but that's it!
  • ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    N....O......

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by Hrotha

Okay first of all I was like : there are too few skills

and now I am like : can I get a 3rd skill bar?

http://esohead.com/calculator/skills

Seriously, use all of your points and see how many skills you will take in order to make your build better. Two bars is not enough. Including ALL of these aspects... PvP, Guild, World, ... jeez!

Your talking to the wrong audience.We have nothing to do with what you want.Post your thoughts in the Bethesda ESO forums.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

I'd rather 2 bars with 8 skills then 3 bars with 5 ...if I had a choice

• Ryoshi1Ryoshi1 Member Posts: 139

not enough buttons for console players then :D

/demthumbwarriors

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

Personally, after creating my thread (and poll) on this similar topic and reading all of the responses and rationale provided, I've come to 2 conclusions that I feel would work extremely well:

1) Add just one more slot per weapon, making 6 per bar plus 1 for the Ultimate.

2) Allow slotted passives, toggles, summons, etc. to continue to work or stay activated even if that bar is not the one currently being used.

I like option two better, because a lot of these said  types of abilities go to waste unless they are slotted on both bars to receive full benefit from them. It not only stays true to the 5 + 1 slots which is the original game plan, but also opens up more options for those who would, at the moment, feel tied down or torn because of the need to use two slots for one ability in order to experience its full effect.

So technically it's a win-win situation. Same number of slots to play with (nothing changes there), but more freedom since no one ability would tie down more than one slot. That gives that one or two extra slots to play with for the MANY who are going to have a slotted passive, toggle, summon, etc.

Isaiah 41:10
  • PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    After playing several betas.... it's fine.  Leave it be because everything balances better because people have to make choices.
  • AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    The obvious solution to the passives issue would be to have separate bars for actives and passives, like in The Secret World. Too late for such sweeping changes by now though.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Originally posted by Ryoshi1

/demthumbwarriors

And that is the bottom line limitation.

Sure, there is the standard - players now have to make a choice as to what skills to use.

You know what? - We did before. The difference being we had more choices at any given moment. Consequently the game mechanics where constructed around this increased choice set.

The argument saying that even with full bars of skills you only picked 3 or 4 is just incorrect. You try pvp in Aion or Tera with a few skills on your bar.

Ok, it is what it is now, so pc gamers have to get used to reduced mechanics to suit consoles. But just do not cover up this enforced limitation by some need to make choices waffle.

As I said - we made choices before, and more of them.

• PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    Originally posted by Amegashie
    The obvious solution to the passives issue would be to have separate bars for actives and passives, like in The Secret World. Too late for such sweeping changes by now though.

Passives are not slottable... they are just passives... you have them active if you meet the requirements.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379
    Originally posted by JudgeUK
    Originally posted by Ryoshi1

/demthumbwarriors

And that is the bottom line limitation.

The math doesn't quite work out right for this supposition. 

The Magic Numbers for console gamepad optimization are 4,8 and 12.  (5+1) x 2 is seven buttons (6 + weapon switch) so mapping that to a gamepad is somewhat awkward - 3+1 or 7+1 are more comfortable counts, as it keeps the ability buttons 'grouped' into the magic numbers.  This is how they would do it, if they were really thinking "consoles" when they designed the system.

I suspect the true rationale behind it is to hedge against the JOAT possibilities created by the relatively open class structure. 

• GrimeyeDGrimeyeD Member Posts: 16
    10 skills, 2 ultimate and... 8 quickslots! I think that is plenty.
  • alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

You will not get more than 6 active abilities at any point due to console limitations... it sucks if you want to play this on the PC but they made their choice and i`d guess they expect more console players to play it than PC players.(based on the number of copies skyrim sold on the pc/consoles)

For me its the most annoying "feature" as it dumbs everything down... at any point vs anything you have your 6 buttons, yey. Other games have 6 buttons just for defensive cooldowns/heals etc.

I think they tried to run after too many rabbits and won`t catch as many as they think... console players have to pay the game sub and, if they want to play other multiplayer games on their console, have to pay more to Sony. It adds up. I doubt they will get that many console subs, even if they made the entire game for them. 

And PC players will be annoyed they are(again) considered second class players...

Either way its done now this was planned since the design stage they will let it play out.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    You forget one thing .. the game is going to be released in 39 days :D So no .. you cant get 3rd bar :D
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Originally posted by Talemire

Personally, after creating my thread (and poll) on this similar topic and reading all of the responses and rationale provided, I've come to 2 conclusions that I feel would work extremely well:

2) Allow slotted passives, toggles, summons, etc. to continue to work or stay activated even if that bar is not the one currently being used.

I like option two better, because a lot of these said  types of abilities go to waste unless they are slotted on both bars to receive full benefit from them. It not only stays true to the 5 + 1 slots which is the original game plan, but also opens up more options for those who would, at the moment, feel tied down or torn because of the need to use two slots for one ability in order to experience its full effect.

So technically it's a win-win situation. Same number of slots to play with (nothing changes there), but more freedom since no one ability would tie down more than one slot. That gives that one or two extra slots to play with for the MANY who are going to have a slotted passive, toggle, summon, etc.

My (somewhat utopian) solution:

Have two setting options: "Welcome to the game, do you want 1 - PC format or 2 - Console format"?

If console players cry out that it would give pc users too much of an advantage then that only proves the point that their mechanics are constrained to suit their limited button pushing.

If this gear switching option is so easy as you say in the defense of console play, then for pc users at least allow the option of having both sets of skill options to be on screen simultaneously. Console players can happily continue with their gear switching -this won't affect you, it would be an option for pc users.

Give the option of converting the quickslots into a separate bar. If people are happy with the current method then they use the current format. Let other players choose to have this as a on-screen bar. After all - why should it bother you what someone else has on their screen during game play?

At present pc players are forced to try and produce console like game controls onto a mouse and keyboard. Something which whilst workable, reduces significantly the optimum playing experience for them.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by orionblack
    Kinda like it the way it is, maybe an extra button added to the 2 bars but that's it!

I personally would have like 10 skills like GW2 does.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by JudgeUK
    Originally posted by Talemire

My (somewhat utopian) solution:

Have two setting options: "Welcome to the game, do you want 1 - PC format or 2 - Console format"?

If console players cry out that it would give pc users too much of an advantage then that only proves the point that their mechanics are constrained to suit their limited button pushing.

If this gear switching option is so easy as you say in the defense of console play, then for pc users at least allow the option of having both sets of skill options to be on screen simultaneously. Console players can happily continue with their gear switching -this won't affect you, it would be an option for pc users.

Give the option of converting the quickslots into a separate bar. If people are happy with the current method then they use the current format. Let other players choose to have this as a on-screen bar. After all - why should it bother you what someone else has on their screen during game play?

At present pc players are forced to try and produce console like game controls onto a mouse and keyboard. Something which whilst workable, reduces significantly the optimum playing experience for them.

They can`t do this... how would you explain to Console users that they have 6 skills while PC players have 30?(like in other MMO`s) 

It might end up being balanced as you have finite resources - mana and stamina - and time so you can`t actually use all of the abilities but it would be hard to explain to to the Console Users.

So yes PC users get the stick because Skyrim sold more Console copies.... and they want the money Console players have.

• DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I don't know if adding more bars is something that can be done with a mod or not.  If it is possible, you will probably see lots of options shortly after launch.

Not all who wander are lost...

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    no 2x5 is perfect. Makes people think and customize their characters.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by SoulTrapOnSelf
    do you want to make nightblades more overpowered, don't you? :)

Yes.. I admit^^

already got 1hit potential with a bow but having to drop anti-cc and heal then :D

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Pyatra
    Originally posted by Amegashie

Passives are not slottable... they are just passives... you have them active if you meet the requirements.

Most passives on top of that only effect the skills and things in its own tree..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Ultimately changes like this would affect game balance drastically... If you added another bar you might have to go back and adjust every single skill in the game to compensate. Probably a bit late for it.