Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Blacksmithing: A Journey from Raw Materials to Armor

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Elder Scrolls Online team has released a brand new video to show off the crafting side of Tamriel. In this video, the Blacksmithing crafting profession takes center stage and follows an intrepid crafter from finding raw materials, refining them and using them to create a set of armor. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    why is Kitty wiping his brow? shoudnt he be panting?
  • nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Jeeeez it's like they want to show off every little aspect of this game.

Why don't you show us a preview of dungeons and raiding instead?

ESO is doing my head in

There is no raiding.

• ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Am I the only one that feels the combat is sort-of clunky and has some really odd looking pauses in it? Look at the sword swings, there is a noticable pause in there that just seems.. well.. off to me. I also have to say that is one odd looking Khajiit.

• SemibruceleeSemibrucelee Member Posts: 52

At least the world looks beautiful. It's refreshing to see a mature setting instead of all the cartoon looking mmos.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Semibrucelee

At least the world looks beautiful. It's refreshing to see a mature setting instead of all the cartoon looking mmos.

Have to agree with that. Wasn't impressed with the fantasy punk cartoons when I saw them on the cover of White Dwarf Magazine, was less impressed when they invaded MMOs in WoW, and was truly tired of the tedious repetition when they became the de facto art style for so many games afterwards.

Unfortunately, the rest of TESO is far less impressive.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493

OMG I can't wait!!!  I love to craft!! 

Had an 8x GM  crafter on UO back in the day and no other game came close to that. So happy!!!

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

This game is a diamond in the rough.  A little more polish and development through expansion content and this is going to be something special.

I was going to pass on this completely, but then got a beta key.  After playing, I was so surprised at what I found I bought the collector's edition.

This game has a lot more depth in every system than I ever expected to find.  I know it's not going to be for everyone, but it's the most immersive experience I've had in an MMO in the last 7 years.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Scyris
    Am I the only one that feels the combat is sort-of clunky and has some really odd looking pauses in it? Look at the sword swings, there is a noticable pause in there that just seems.. well.. off to me. I also have to say that is one odd looking Khajiit.

This is actually new, I believe. I noticed this in the video as well. There was a lot of feedback on how melee didn't feel like it had enough impact and Brian Wheeler mentioned they were working on addressing this in our latest interview on PvP.  It looks like some of that must've made it into whatever build was used for this video. Those subtle 'pauses' are used in almost every action game to add impact to melee combat (see: Zelda, TERA, etc).

• TerminalDeityTerminalDeity Member UncommonPosts: 133
    I am just about to pull the trigger on this game. It looked SO bad during development, but I have to admit, it's really coming together well.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Scyris

This is actually new, I believe. I noticed this in the video as well. There was a lot of feedback on how melee didn't feel like it had enough impact and Brian Wheeler mentioned they were working on addressing this in our latest interview on PvP.  It looks like some of that must've made it into whatever build was used for this video. Those subtle 'pauses' are used in almost every action game to add impact to melee combat (see: Zelda, TERA, etc).

There are mods for Skyrim that does exactly that too, that slight pause to add the feeling of impact.

• G4NK3DG4NK3D Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by NomadMorlock

This game is a diamond in the rough.  A little more polish and development through expansion content and this is going to be something special.

I was going to pass on this completely, but then got a beta key.  After playing, I was so surprised at what I found I bought the collector's edition.

This game has a lot more depth in every system than I ever expected to find.  I know it's not going to be for everyone, but it's the most immersive experience I've had in an MMO in the last 7 years.

Completely agree, I was going to pass too until I got my beta invite and actually got a chance to give ESO a shot and I was completely caught off guard by what I found.  Can't wait for release.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    How is it...that there are so many people who visit forums on games they hate ?
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

nice vid n commentary.

its got me excited!-i wanna make my eyes 'pop'!

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

lol=so true.

its like facebook people need to leave a comment on everything...

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Jeeeez it's like they want to show off every little aspect of this game.

Why don't you show us a preview of dungeons and raiding instead?

ESO is doing my head in

There is no raiding.

This is wrong. There will be 12 man raids in the game called adventure zones. Know your stuff before you post.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

Misery loves company.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    The video offered some new information on skill points and what will be devoted to crafting. As well as how much of crafting is point allocation and what is trade compendium type stuff. Looks like gathering is core and just running around grabbing everything is not an efficient plan. I'm hoping they took in to account bot habit when they made the everything for everyone system. Roaming mobs that an ATK player can evade perhaps?
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by Grakulen

Misery loves company.

I thought Misery kills company? Kathy Bates

http://images.mmorpg.com//images/galleries/formatted/082014/8420c2d7-5b81-43bf-9bb0-8ef8bf6de2b6.jpg

There Is Always Hope!

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    If anyone can harvest anything, inventory management is going to be a big factor. Could you elaborate on that?
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by rounner
    If anyone can harvest anything, inventory management is going to be a big factor. Could you elaborate on that?

Based on what I have seen they are leaving this one on us. Gluttony will swallow us whole, pick a craft and gather accordingly.

I like it.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by free2play
    Originally posted by rounner

Based on what I have seen they are leaving this one on us. Gluttony will swallow us whole, pick a craft and gather accordingly.

I like it.

Indeed.

Compulsive gatherers/hoarders (like me) are in for a very hard time, because you can fill up your bags incredibly fast with "useful stuff". Decisions, decisions...

I think it's actually almost impossible for a single character to keep a stock of ALL the crafting-related mats for ALL character levels for ALL the crafting professions using only the backpack and bank slots, even after expanding a few times. There's simply too many.

Serious crafters will need to level a few alts and distribute the crafting professions between them.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495
    How big is a guild bank and how many guilds can you be in ;)

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    Originally posted by Velocinox
    Originally posted by Semibrucelee

Have to agree with that. Wasn't impressed with the fantasy punk cartoons when I saw them on the cover of White Dwarf Magazine, was less impressed when they invaded MMOs in WoW, and was truly tired of the tedious repetition when they became the de facto art style for so many games afterwards.

Unfortunately, the rest of TESO is far less impressive.

I agree. EQNL should really be up my street, but I can't get passed the awful jokey, childish art style. It's become a blight on fantasy games. But whilst I like the look of ESO it doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for. Not enough sandbox, no global economy and it has sub plus ingame shop. Maybe I'll have to compromise somewhere. As it is I don't intend to buy on release.

• DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I just have to say that i find it humorous that people are so easy to convince just from watching these bits of the game, all those people who are like "I'm not playing this" then they check a carrot on a stick video and and they suddenly "Oh hey i'm gonna try this game out!", so lacking credibility or just way too easy to be convinced.

• tinoberserktinoberserk Member UncommonPosts: 73
    I think alot of people changedtheir stance on ESO after the last beta weekend. These videos may be an added bonus for some but that last beta changed a lot of minds.