Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPU Swap! Why did I have to reinstall GPU Drivers?

TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498

The lay of the land is.

i5 3570K

Gigabyte B75

ASUS GTX 660

i5 2500K

Gigabyte Z77

AMD Sapphire 7950

I swapped the CPU's for obvious reasons. The issue was that the 27" screen would no properly resize to until I had uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia GTX 660 Drivers. Actually, the system more or less acted as if I didn't have any video card drivers until I had done said uninstall and reinstall.

On the other hand, I threw the 3570K into the Z77 did a restart and WHAM! Everything worked smoothly. No reinstall or uninstall necessary.

Does anyone know if there was a particular reason for this?

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Windows.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

Short answer !windows !don't sweat it you don't want the long version !when something like this happen you download the driver then install restart ,go into device manager and there you update via window thing it will propose 3 or 4 choice you should see the one you installed ,install it the window way restart ,yes window way is better ,you need to install from manufacturer to get the driver in the device manager tool but always use device manager if possible to get it properly installed and working properly with window (sorry it is the only way I know I probably don't do it proper either but if you try directly with device manager oncedthe driver is downloaded ,windows won't see it!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

Short answer !windows !don't sweat it you don't want the long version !when something like this happen you download the driver then install restart ,go into device manager and there you update via window thing it will propose 3 or 4 choice you should see the one you installed ,install it the window way restart ,yes window way is better ,you need to install from manufacturer to get the driver in the device manager tool but always use device manager if possible to get it properly installed and working properly with window (sorry it is the only way I know I probably don't do it proper either but if you try directly with device manager oncedthe driver is downloaded ,windows won't see it!

Part of your bridge to the GPU is in your CPU these days... And thats GPU driver specific.. So you need tor einstall your driver.. Not upgrade it unless you had an old driver that did not support your new hardware yet.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

you should avoid doing "hot swaps" you dont want to change a CPU and not be prepared to do a full install of your OS and drivers.

When upgrading a system with both CPU and MB you should really do a fresh install to make sure the MB and HD's along with other hardware talk to one another like they are supposed to.

There are short-cuts and people that will tell you its fine but it more often then not is a bad idea and most techs will tell you that.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    I'm guessing here, but it might have something to do with the fact that you swapped GPUs, even if they were GPUs that you didn't use.  Both of the CPUs in question have a GPU built in.  This may have confused Windows or something.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    I'm guessing here, but it might have something to do with the fact that you swapped GPUs, even if they were GPUs that you didn't use.  Both of the CPUs in question have a GPU built in.  This may have confused Windows or something.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

The integrated GPUs are different.  One has a Intel HD 3000 and the other a 4000.  The Intel driver page I found appears to have different downloads for both, but I got a "page not found" error when I was looking.  

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by vonryan123

you should avoid doing "hot swaps" you dont want to change a CPU and not be prepared to do a full install of your OS and drivers.

When upgrading a system with both CPU and MB you should really do a fresh install to make sure the MB and HD's along with other hardware talk to one another like they are supposed to.

There are short-cuts and people that will tell you its fine but it more often then not is a bad idea and most techs will tell you that.

This may have been the case 5-10 years ago, but driver support on Windows is a lot better.  Generic drivers work for just about everything now.  It is also well-known that you don't lose your OS licensing unless you change your motherboard.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by syntax42

This may have been the case 5-10 years ago, but driver support on Windows is a lot better.  Generic drivers work for just about everything now.  It is also well-known that you don't lose your OS licensing unless you change your motherboard.

Actually, with Windows 8, you won't lose your license even if you do change your motherboard. This includes the system builder's license. All you have to do is call the support line and tell them that you have transferred it to another computer and that it has been uninstalled on the original. It is as easy as that. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Actually, with Windows 8, you won't lose your license even if you do change your motherboard. This includes the system builder's license. All you have to do is call the support line and tell them that you have transferred it to another computer and that it has been uninstalled on the original. It is as easy as that. 

That depends on whether you get the OEM version or the full version.  However, unlike Windows 7, with Windows 8, the price difference is only $20 rather than $100.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Quizzical

This is exactly what I was thinking.

The integrated GPUs are different.  One has a Intel HD 3000 and the other a 4000.  The Intel driver page I found appears to have different downloads for both, but I got a "page not found" error when I was looking.  

Completely forgot about this.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    AMD or Intel, the Northbridge is now on the CPU.