Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] WildStar: Deeper into the Dominion Lands

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Carbine has lifted the level limit to level 29, allowing us to explore deeper into Nexus and report back on what we find. Over the coming days and weeks, I’ll be entering the Ruins of Kel Voreth dungeon and creeping around the contested zone of Whitevale. Today though, I’m starting out in Auroria: the first post-15 zone.

Read more of Gareth Harmer's WildStar: Deeper in Dominion Lands.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AbcynthAbcynth Member UncommonPosts: 60

Why must you continually taunt me with bits and pieces from the game that I (and thousands of others) have been trying to get in beta for?!  This is unneccesary punishment and should cease immediately  :)

Seriously though, I am so excited to at least be part of the stress test this weekend to get my first glance at the game.   This looks like a lot of fun and I am sure I will be lost in this world in no time.

Take my money already, its earmarked to delve into this game!

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Nice. I was really worried about the art style of the game before I tried it. After giving it a few test spins now.... I absolutely love the style they went with. It just fits with the overall feel & direction of the game.

Nice to see the Dominion side of things as most of what I experienced has been on the Exile side. 

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I'll second both of your comments.

With respect to Abcynth's - Rarely am I a bit envious of these beta testers with the amount of access they get, but in this case I am feeling it.

Thankfully I was here yesterday at noon and was able to get a key.
  • nobloodnoblood Member UncommonPosts: 13

Damn I just saw today and the keys were expired, hopeffuly i will get in another stress test.

If someone will not be available and want to spare a key i will be grateful :-)

• mohit9206mohit9206 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I cant believe how some people refer to this game as just another WoW clone.Its looking pretty good so far.
  • KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111

I'm hopelessly in love with this game, despite the abysmal treatment many people have received from Carbine Studios and beta access.

It's got great potential to storm the MMO genre and wake it up again. Because of this, I believe Carbine has gotten very cocky and think they're *holier than thou* when it comes to letting people play it.

"You're not good enough" yet they claim it's random, but we all know better. On one hand, if the game completely failed, many of us would screech with pure joy as their Karma eats their bank accounts alive. Because you simply don't treat potential, monthly paying customers like shit.  You give them what they want.

• AbcynthAbcynth Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by Righteous_Rock
    I'll second both of your comments.

With respect to Abcynth's - Rarely am I a bit envious of these beta testers with the amount of access they get, but in this case I am feeling it.

Thankfully I was here yesterday at noon and was able to get a key.

Yeah I have followed this game with a fervor that I didn't have since WoW originally released.  I know its "to each his/her own" with regards to the art style, but for me it works, and all the elements are there that draw me in (crafting, housing, large raids, dungeons).  I am looking forward to the quirkiness of the classes and the mix they all have.  I cannot wait to at least run around in the game.  Won't have a lot of time to delve into it, but it will at least whet my appetite and either give me the butterflies I think it will, or will bore me (which I do not think will happen).  See you all in the test this weekend  ;)

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    @Krighton - I hope you get a key bud, I can tell you I signed up about a month ago and made it to the past stress test and I got a key yesterday thanks to mmorpg.com Murphy and Ford, giving us the heads up. I'm just a regular Joe too. Good luck my friend.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by dirtyd77

Nice. I was really worried about the art style of the game before I tried it. After giving it a few test spins now.... I absolutely love the style they went with. It just fits with the overall feel & direction of the game.

Nice to see the Dominion side of things as most of what I experienced has been on the Exile side. 

I couldn't even begin to fathom how boring and unappealing this game would be if they went with a realistic approach.

The humour, animations, art style and sense of fun in this game are its heart and soul.  There are plenty of other MMOs out there I can play if I want worlds full of sour faces and boring dialogue.

Originally posted by Krighton

I'm hopelessly in love with this game, despite the abysmal treatment many people have received from Carbine Studios and beta access.

It's got great potential to storm the MMO genre and wake it up again. Because of this, I believe Carbine has gotten very cocky and think they're *holier than thou* when it comes to letting people play it.

"You're not good enough" yet they claim it's random, but we all know better. On one hand, if the game completely failed, many of us would screech with pure joy as their Karma eats their bank accounts alive. Because you simply don't treat potential, monthly paying customers like shit.  You give them what they want.

I don't think that's a fair criticism.  Take a step back and look at the situation.

A ridiculous number of players have signed up for the beta, they need to keep it within manageable levels so they can actually get decent feedback.  They have had beta key giveaways through all their fan sites, they give away 6000 keys every Monday at random and then they go and give out 40,000 keys for this weekend. It has nothing to do with them being 'houlier than thou'.  They didn't specifically look at your application and go 'Oh god no, this guy is a noob!'.

If you didn't get in, I can sympathise, but you need to realise that you didn't get in because there are lots of people that want to get in, and they simply cannot accommodate everybody. Those 40,000 keys they gave away yesterday? They were gone within less than 5 minutes. They aren't excluding you on purpose.  

Given that this game is not launching with an already popular IP, an open beta before launch is almost guaranteed. Patience is a virtue.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Random giveaways are random. Hell, even last fall they had over 600k applications. You can't do a legit test with that many people. Tons of people are still waiting, so get in line. No reason to bash carbine because of bad luck.

Please explain how Carbine has treated you like shit?

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• dirtyd77dirtyd77 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by dirtyd77

I couldn't even begin to fathom how boring and unappealing this game would be if they went with a realistic approach.

The humour, animations, art style and sense of fun in this game are its heart and soul.  There are plenty of other MMOs out there I can play if I want worlds full of sour faces and boring dialogue.

Agreed 100%. I just wasn't sure about the look .... until I actually got to test drive it. It does go hand in hand with the humor and fun/campiness of the game...  and your right it is the heart and sould of the game..  

Once I got to taste it ... it was a great big breath of fresh air to what has become a dark drab world of MMO's to me at least. 

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I got a BETA key!!! I can't wait to give Wildstar a try. MY FIRST TIME EVER TO ACTUALLY GET A CLOSED BETA KEY!!! :)
  • Gatorez1913Gatorez1913 Member Posts: 15

I can't believe that some people actually have this sort of attitude and ridiculous idea of self-entitlement.  How rude and self-centered of a person are you or is it just because you are anonymous on the internet?  If you actually feel this way then I feel bad for you. 

I would like a beta key as well but do I EXPECT them to give me the game and let me play for free and bash the company if they don't?  No, I am a grown up. 

The game looks great and I hope they take their time with it and are able to actually make it something special. 

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

This kind of paranoia is not productive IMO.   That said, I've waited for betas for a long time, through many phases in the past -- that's the rule rather than the exception -- but I've never felt so jerked around by a developer at the same time.   The fact that they've been so public about their invites but let in relatively few people, and then handing out 40,000 "insta" invites when at least that many have been signed up and waiting for a year (or perhaps more) for an opportunity to feel they were a part of the game's evolution is a bit crappy IMO.  Understandably, this is really all about hype because one tester is the same as any other, but it's not how I would go about building a relationship with people that have the potential to be my customers for years.

Anyway, with respect to the article itself ...

I appreciate the tidbits regarding the historical and societal aspects of the setting.  I'm interested primarily in the Dominion, so this was up my alley.  Thanks!  I'd actually like to see Carbine release videos kind of like they do for the game's features, classes, and races, but more as miniseries that show us historical events (happening "live" rather than as a historical overview) and set the stage for us.  BioWare did something a tiny bit like this (in a very bland way) as a historical overview for SWTOR with the timeline videos, but Carbine can certainly pull it off with a lot more style, and animated miniseries would fit the atmosphere they've created IMO.  One of the things that helped me connect so strongly with WoW was having played the RTS games and being able to see places and people from those games.   WildStar doesn't have the advantage of building on earlier games, but I'd no less like to walk into a town and say, "Hey!  This is where ____ happened!" or "Hey!  That's that guy from that thing!"

• jweeks221jweeks221 Member Posts: 15
    wild star the game forever in beta
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

I guess I've just out-grown these kinds of games.  Looks adorable, but that kinda thing just doesn't appeal to me any more.  Also far too simplistic and hand-holdy for my sensibilities these days.

Oh well.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    SWIM got a beta key and he said the game was absolutely terrible. He couldn't even log in after suffering a few hours.
  • SkeetzSkeetz Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I played the beta and tried my best to like it. If I was still at the point in my life where I couldn't wait till Sat morning for the cartoons I would be into this. I've played the Borderlands series but this just seems so kid friendly with the colors and art style, not that that's a bad thing necessarily.  Just not for me. And too much hand holding.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Originally posted by Skeetz
    I played the beta and tried my best to like it. If I was still at the point in my life where I couldn't wait till Sat morning for the cartoons I would be into this. I've played the Borderlands series but this just seems so kid friendly with the colors and art style, not that that's a bad thing necessarily.  Just not for me. And too much hand holding.

I felt the exact same thing... playing an Exile as my first toon; I switched over to the Dominion and there is a totally different feel. I don't know if this applies to you. You may have started with a Dominion toon, but IMO you can sure see a difference playing each side. 

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by mohit9206
    I cant believe how some people refer to this game as just another WoW clone.Its looking pretty good so far.

Seriously if you cant see WoW in those screenshots you're either blind or you just have no sense of aesthetics whatsoever. Even a machine can find patterns which you should be able to do so here.

Whats wrong with you?

• WoWatzisWoWatzis Member Posts: 11

and 4rth pic

• WoWatzisWoWatzis Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by WoWatzis

and 4rth pic

is exactly like wow
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek
    Originally posted by mohit9206

Seriously if you cant see WoW in those screenshots you're either blind or you just have no sense of aesthetics whatsoever. Even a machine can find patterns which you should be able to do so here.

Whats wrong with you?

Maybe because he is looking past the aesthetics. Action combat, warplots, housing, adventures and paths differentiate this game from WoW.  It plays more like a hybrid between GW1 and TERA than WoW (limited hotbar + action combat). But because it doesn't have realistic graphics its cool to hate on it.

Whats wrong with you?

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

Whoop! less than 24 hours then I am hitting wild star beta,

just try hard to get into the next beta and I am sure you all will get in.