Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did anyone else miss the Wildstar extravaganza? Share your feels.

phuzionzphuzionz Member UncommonPosts: 23

Despite having signed up literally a year ago for the WildStar beta, with e-mails in my inbox with Wildstar related news in the subject bar dated close to my own mortal inception, I didn't get a beta invite. Understandable.

But then I get called to work and our lead - to cut a long story short - resulted in us having extreme workload. Whenever a member of the team could take a break, required due to exhaustion, it was used to rest. This lasted for two days.  And honestly, Wildstar was the least of my worries at that tiny window in time.

So this is pretty much my luck.

The time I could play a game I've been looking out for, for a long time, was a time I physically could not simply sign up for one of FORTY-thousand keys. 

"There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will."

Comments

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

I actually found a stress test key in my inbox 3 days AFTER the stress test was done (which lasted a weekend).

How's DEM apples?

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Forgot about it until about 10 after 12 and went ahead and signed up but never received a key. Guess I am shit out of luck image

No signature, I don't have a pen

• handlewithcarehandlewithcare Member Posts: 322

I also sighned up a year ago got nothing but got one last night had to wait an half-hour for mmorpg then it was just gamefeatures then I saw the key give away and had to wait also till every thing was right the first keys were wrong and applied it took then a view hours to get the key and then I had to fix the launcher so it would work.

I guess you have to work for it,why don't they let people pay deposits on games and then let them have keys?

• BlackaftermathBlackaftermath Member Posts: 32
    luck of the draw I guess. I was lucky enough to get a stress test beta key last weekend and was lucky to be 1 of the 40,000 who got a beta key yesterday
  • phuzionzphuzionz Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by Blackaftermath
    luck of the draw I guess. I was lucky enough to get a stress test beta key last weekend and was lucky to be 1 of the 40,000 who got a beta key yesterday

I don't have a problem with this. More power to you.

But what truly grinds my gears is how many of these game companies are so very slow to offer a glimpse at the game for no immediate monetary gain, if they offer it at all, but are so quick to fill up your e-mail inbox with requests to pre-order or even purchase the game post-launch.

Where were you when I still had the hype surrounding the game?

Where were you when I genuinely wanted to get my feet wet before the onslaught did?

Where were you when there was a RISK in letting a stranger to your enterprise beta test your product?

No [insert game company here], you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Maybe I think of things from a cynic's point of view, but that's just how I rationalize. If a game invests in me early enough, I will 100% without doubt invest back into it. It's just my simple sense of give and take. This is why I never paid for TERA or Darkfall: Unholy Wars. They both never invited me. But games like Guild Wars 2, Diablo III ESO did; I'm sure they're happy to have gotten my money. And if Wildstar decides to not invite me, I will take it personally and treat it in accordance.

"There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will."

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816
    Yes I just missed it. Totally frustrated.
  • GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

To quote myself from my response to the article currently on the front page:

I've waited for betas for a long time, through many phases in the past -- that's the rule rather than the exception -- but I've never felt so jerked around by a developer at the same time.   The fact that they've been so public about their invites but let in relatively few people, and then handing out 40,000 "insta" invites when at least that many have been signed up and waiting for a year (or perhaps more) for an opportunity to feel they were a part of the game's evolution is a bit crappy IMO.  Understandably, this is really all about hype because one tester is the same as any other, but it's not how I would go about building a relationship with people that have the potential to be my customers for years.

I know the folks who get off showing their loyalty to a game developer will throw around the entitlement buzzword, but there is actually more to it than that.  You don't have to be entitled to something to be treated poorly or even just not as well as you could have been treated.  A 10-year-old is not entitled to a foul ball at a baseball game, but a 35-year old diving under the seat to snatch it before him is still crappy.  We walk into stores, restaurants, and many other places without having spent a penny, not being owed anything, but are often treated in a way that makes us feel like our business would matter to them, not just today but as part of a continuing relationship down the road.  In this case some of us have been let in the doors practically on day one, but when we ask to try on some shoes or get a taste of that wine or test drive that car, we get ignored, left to watch generic presentations while people walking in on a whim hundreds of days later get helped.  

I don't believe you have to agree that those waiting for a long time deserve anything to recognize that they could have been approached by a business in a more positive way.  I'd say that same thing whether I had an invite to WildStar (or any other game) or not no matter how short or long I've waited.  Heck, I've invested over a thousand hours in GW2 and still believe ArenaNet's handling of the Living Story and it's limited-time-only content is doing a major disservice to a large number of present and future customers.  Yes, absolutely there isn't enough "room" for everybody to always be treated equitably, especially when it comes to a beta.   Some people have to get in long before others.  But I also think escalating divisiveness and resentment is not a positive thing for the game.

Anyway OP, make sure you are still signed up for the beta by visiting the website and trying to sign up again.  At one point at least some of the submissions were lost/purged (maybe when they integrated NCSoft accounts into the process) and people who thought they had signed up were apparently no longer so.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    I just received my key a few minutes ago, took longer than 24 hours but I got it. :)

No signature, I don't have a pen

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Experience says there's gonna be quite a few more stress test each one letting more and more people in.If you want in you'll get in eventually.
  • AndarusAndarus Member Posts: 7

Dropping your email address into a beta form does not indicate loyalty, no matter how long ago you did it. And to everyone saying "I've been waiting," no you haven't. You've been going about your life, playing other games, and possibly signing up for other beta tests. It's not like you've been standing in line for days to get movie tickets or something. Some of you are expressing irritation that a company did not show favorable treatment to complete strangers for doing nothing. Oh waIt, you did spend two minutes or less filling in a form. 

Did you show an interest in the game by filling out the form? Yes. Did you show more interest than anyone that filled out the beta giveaway yesterday? Nope. At best, you simply knew about the game earlier (though not necessarily).

• RexersRexers Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I signed up for one of the 40k keys almost as soon as they began offering it. It said "First come first serve" and about 2 hours after I entered my e-mail, the site went down and said the giveaway was over. I figured I was in. I never received a beta key and although I'm bummed, I'm looking at it in a positive way. I'm really excited for Wildstar and not playing it now, just means there will be more new things for me to enjoy in the future. Not just for a weekend but for the full release. 
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

New weekend events will probably follow pretty soon.

Carbine has said that this weekend beta of 40k players is a marketing event.

Marketing event means they want to promote sales, which means they are getting closer to launch.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I can feel the pain. I did not even sign up for the beta because of workload. My view about betas is that you are there to test the game so that devs can improve it, not to demo the game. That means number crunching, filing bug reports, posting about game mechanics, testing this, that and the other thing. All of that stuff takes a lot longer than sitting back and enjoying yourself in a game that has been released. I don't have that kind of time lying around though fortunately I still have an hour or two to play games here and there every day.

I would love to beta but I have been in an extremely busy period at work and will probably only "resurface" when the game has already been released.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• JardzJardz Member Posts: 2
    sorry you guys missed it, was really fun,, 100% goin to buy this ,,
  • ZapzapZapzap Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by phuzionz

But what truly grinds my gears is how many of these game companies are so very slow to offer a glimpse at the game for no immediate monetary gain, if they offer it at all, but are so quick to fill up your e-mail inbox with requests to pre-order or even purchase the game post-launch.

Where were you when I genuinely wanted to get my feet wet before the onslaught did?

Where were you when there was a RISK in letting a stranger to your enterprise beta test your product?

Maybe I think of things from a cynic's point of view, but that's just how I rationalize. If a game invests in me early enough, I will 100% without doubt invest back into it. It's just my simple sense of give and take. This is why I never paid for TERA or Darkfall: Unholy Wars. They both never invited me. But games like Guild Wars 2, Diablo III ESO did; I'm sure they're happy to have gotten my money. And if Wildstar decides to not invite me, I will take it personally and treat it in accordance.

No offense but your complains are without merit.

If you signed up a year ago for beta you signed up very late.  Closed beta started 11 months ago.  Sign ups for beta started in 2011. Almost every person that signed up for beta in 2011 got an invite last summer. People have been following the game and contributing on fansites since 2009.  To jump in as late as you did and then feel bad you did not get a beta invite is not very realistic as there was 500k people ahead of you by the time you signed up.   That being said I hope you get in.  The game is likely 5+ months from release.  They will be inviting a lot more people and you will likely have an opportunity to play long before release.  Hang in there and be patient.  Eventually your time will come.

• Ender4Ender4 Member UncommonPosts: 2,247

I got in from the promotional event this week that was posted on this site. Email had gone into my spam so I just figured I didn't get in until I noticed it today. Eagerly waited for the 3 hour download so I could try it out because I'm busy most of the weekend. Played about 3 hours and not sure I'll bother playing again, feels like a dated version of WoW. The setting was interesting at least, not just the typical fantasy setting you get everywhere else. Being able to scan lore as a mission was nice too. Most of it was really standard fair and just downright boring.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by Zapzap
    Originally posted by phuzionz

No offense but your complains are without merit.

If you signed up a year ago for beta you signed up very late.  Closed beta started 11 months ago.  Sign ups for beta started in 2011. Almost every person that signed up for beta in 2011 got an invite last summer. People have been following the game and contributing on fansites since 2009.  To jump in as late as you did and then feel bad you did not get a beta invite is not very realistic as there was 500k people ahead of you by the time you signed up.   That being said I hope you get in.  The game is likely 5+ months from release.  They will be inviting a lot more people and you will likely have an opportunity to play long before release.  Hang in there and be patient.  Eventually your time will come.

I signed up for Beta pretty much the first day it was offered so I guess I fall into the excluded portion of the "Almost every person" group you mentioned.  I have never received any sort of invite for any of the Beta stages or for any of the weekend events.  Right now, I'm simply sick and tired of even attempting to try to get a Beta key and I won't even bother with doing their "weekend events" even if they give me a key for one of them.  Give me a real Beta key and I'll log in.... give me a temp key and I'll delete it.

At least when it is released I can play it from a fresh point of view and enjoy it all the more.

Ratero.