Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

World exploration, is it like Vanguard?

awiaawia Sandy Springs, GAPosts: 96Member

Vanguard's world gave me a sense of adventure and made me want to explore, to people who played Vanguard, does it give you that same feeling?

What I am looking for wide open spaces(Vanguard is semi-open world), all directions not blocked off by mountains etc. Seeing something 2 miles away (really long draw distance) and being able to get there. Basically no world design that forces you down a path.

I know I am putting Vanguard on a pedestal, but Vanguard was the only MMO world drew me in.

Comments

• xpowderxxpowderx Radcliff, KYPosts: 2,131Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by awia

Vanguard's world gave me a sense of adventure and made me want to explore, to people who played Vanguard, does it give you that same feeling?

What I am looking for wide open spaces(Vanguard is semi-open world), all directions not blocked off by mountains etc. Seeing something 2 miles away (really long draw distance) and being able to get there. Basically no world design that forces you down a path.

I know I am putting Vanguard on a pedestal, but Vanguard was the only MMO world drew me in.

Adventuresome for a little bit. But not even close to vanguard with exploration.

• NightliteNightlite Maple Grove, MNPosts: 95Member Uncommon
    Yea it felt big at first, and looking for artifacts brought you to places you might not normally go.. but in the end the world isn't big enuf to get lost in, and becomes very familiar.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    No.

You make me like charity

• HowryHowry springfield, ORPosts: 93Member Common

As a big Everquest and Vanguard fan I did enjoy Rift. It is much different then either of them. It doesnt have the exploration that Vanguard did but it is still fun for a couple of months.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 LondonPosts: 77Member
    You may enjoy this game but if you are only interested in it for it's exploration value, then this game is not for you. Very linear, with very small zones. WoW and EQ2 have much larger game world's and are very very similar to rift gameplaywise.
  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,187Member Uncommon

The game isn't like VG. There is exploration, but it is fairly simple. There are usually a couple hidden caches per zone. There are shiny collections (and a few twists on that). In some of the zones there are mini bosses tucked away in caves that give you a little treasure and something you can turn in for an xp reward.

There is a new crafting profession tied into shiny collections. The shinies you collect (like in EQ2 not sure if VG had this) can be salvaged and then crafted into housing items.

You can download and play the game for free. Give it a spin. There is an optional sub that adds perks and buffs, but doesn't unlock content. Most all of the content is available for no charge. Some of the class souls are extra and cost. Access to sell on the AH, send mail, and some similar functions require a small unlock fee.