Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: $60 for a Level 90 Character Boost? Say It Ain't So!

Comments

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by Satyros
    So many people bought max-leveled characters for a lot more. And illegally. Yeah, sure they will use it. Is it stupid? Yes, it is.

While I agree with this in theory, in practice $60 seems very steep.

Currently 1-90 leveling service are charging 175$ per character(not even a proper leveling site, just one person who is selling his service in ownedcore.com). if you are saying 60$ for a level 90 is steep then you have no idea what you are talking about. You are a column writer in mmorpg.com, you should be more knowledgeable about these stuff.

As for this service being stupid, it was just a matter of time. whether we like it or not thousands of players buy leveling service from illegal sites, just like thousands of players buy gold from gold farmers. if anyone should be making money off of WoW that should be blizzard and not chinese prisoners. i support this feature. now they should just add a RMAH where people can sell their extra gold.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• WoW finally shot itself in the Dick.

Good riddance.  

My only regret is that the LCD will flood all the other games.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    So many people bought max-leveled characters for a lot more. And illegally. Yeah, sure they will use it. Is it stupid? Yes, it is.

Currently 1-90 leveling service are charging 175$ per character(not even a proper leveling site, just one person who is selling his service in ownedcore.com). if you are saying 60$ for a level 90 is steep then you have no idea what you are talking about. You are a column writer in mmorpg.com, you should be more knowledgeable about these stuff.

As for this service being stupid, it was just a matter of time. whether we like it or not thousands of players buy leveling service from illegal sites, just like thousands of players buy gold from gold farmers. if anyone should be making money off of WoW that should be blizzard and not chinese prisoners. i support this feature. now they should just add a RMAH where people can sell their extra gold.

The service is $brilliant$

It's called monetization or "Taking your customer's for all you can get"

ps. I agree with Suzie $60 for hitting a couple keys, is kind of steep

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ReignsonReignson Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Reignson

Yet another example of WoW blatantly stealing ideas from other mmo's.  EQ2 already offers instant character leveling to 85 - for $35.  But hey, at least WoW was the first mmo.

It's sad how I can still remember the old feelings of respect that I had for Blizzard as a company, back in their old Warcraft 1-3, Starcraft, and Diablo 1-2 days.  How far the mighty have fallen due to their immense greed.   

Lol, yes, you're completely correct. Totally greedy. I've taken the time to create a list of price increases on WoW's subscriptions since 2004:

Year Sub Cost % Increase
    2004 $14.99 N/A
    2005 $14.99 0%
    2006 $14.99 0%
    2007 $14.99 0%
    2008 $14.99 0%
    2009 $14.99 0%
    2010 $14.99 0%
    2011 $14.99 0%
    2012 $14.99 0%
    2013 $14.99 0%
    2014 $14.99 0%

If that's not greed, I don't know what is. 

Great response, however..  WoW was also the first mmo that I am aware of to start charging $15 a month - setting a new greedy standard price,  Before WoW most of the mainstream mmo's were only charging $10-$12 a month.  So yes, thank you for reminding me of that fact with your fanboi retort.   

Also.  My original comment was basing my argument on the fact that they are adding a new optional service, at (yet again) an exorbitant price (greedy), which another game has already been doing (ie not an original idea) for several months at a cheaper (less-greedy) price point.

So, your retort of posting that they have been charging the same monthly fee for years, is really not a relevant response to my original post at all.  Please feel free correct your response with a relevant argument, regarding their pricing of their other optional content compared to other mmos, that proves that they are in fact charging cheaper (or at least similar) prices for similar products, and have not become a greedy game developer over the last 10 years.  If you can not provide a relevant argument, then please refrain from pathetically attempting to refute someone else's opinion just because it differs from your own.

I would never be so brazen as to say that WoW is a bad game - after all, 9 million people cant be wrong.  However.  I can and will say that I do not like the degradation I have seen of Blizzard's business ethics over the last 18 years. 

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    keep milk that cow!
  • IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146
    If it's truly $60 that is a freakin ripoff, EQ2 gives you lv 85 for $35. Infact most people I know said they wouldn't even pay $35 for something like that. I'm sure some people would pay $60 for a lv 90 but bet A LOT more would be $25-$35 to get a lv 90.
  • AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Kills any thoughts I had about returning, and paying $225 annually. Blizzard's greedy but not dumb. Must be a lot of folks that will do this.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Yeah I think they have priced themselves out of the market with this to be honest.

I think people would prefer to do it legit, but you can buy level 90s cheaper than this from dodgy 3rd parties, or just buy a bot and level yourself in 3-5 days.

I would even go as far as saying that if they made it $20, they would get people buying multiple 90s, whereas at $60 a pop, most will be put off even buying one.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by FoxyShoxzy
    Originally posted by srsnoob
    Taxes may apply...lol

Yeah, certain states have to pay taxes on Blizzard micro-transactions. I know the wife and I have to pay here in TX. Not sure if it's an issue of state law in regards to online purchases, or because Blizzard has an office in San Antonio.

Online taxes normally apply if the business has a physical presence in the state where the customer lives.  I work for a company that is scattered all over the place but not in every state, and it so confusing to customers.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    lol. whine is strong in blizz forum;D
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by jesteralways

Attempting to bring down a staff member for not being completely informed about power leveling services, of all things, seems a bit petty.  imo.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by jesteralways. if anyone should be making money off of WoW that should be blizzard and not chinese prisoners. i support this feature. now they should just add a RMAH where people can sell their extra gold.

you think blizzard should implement something like SOE Station Exchange from 2005?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1716/soes_station_exchange__the_.php

where players could sell their EQ2 characters and gold

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    lol. whine is strong in blizz forum;D

Watch WoW high ball us with 60 and lower it after a few weeks to make it look like they listen to our call for gaming justice lol when in fact that was always their plan. 

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Why would anyone question this. It s a smart move by Blizzard. Leveling in WoW doesn t take long, if you want to be lazy, I say gouge them. Good for them.
  • wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    well, one thing is certain...people will dis blizzard over anything, real or imagined.
  • ArezonArezon Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Blizzard is smart. They set the price high enough to make people think twice about doing it. But it's not so high as to keep everyone away. If people are really desperate to get to 90 fast, they'll pay the fee lol

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
     Here's a money making idea....make instant max level characters the default and charge 60 bucks if you want to level up on your own!
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It's just Blizzard wanting to continue the elevated lifestyle of their board members, CEO, CFO, etc (with HUGE salaries), looking for ways to make it last a little longer.

For me, $60 to skip content in an MMORPG which is designed around entertainment, is silly.  Apparently there are some who see games as a waste of time, so they drop $$ to be instantly in the cool club.  That destroys games.

It's lame.  And belittles everyone elses efforts .. you know, those who actually play the game?  For Shame, Blizzard.  For shame.

Once a game turns into those who spend money vs. those who don't, there is little turning back.  Blizzard has taken the dark path.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

Dear Blzzard,

Love,

A fan

• RaunuRaunu Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Honestly, WoW is old enough that most people have level 90s anyway. It doesn't take that long to level one, so it doesn't really bother me that they're selling them.   I for one do think the price is much too high.  I'm sure there will be plenty of people who are willing to pay it though.

- - "What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?" - -

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Yet another example of WoW blatantly stealing ideas from other mmo's.  EQ2 already offers instant character leveling to 85 - for $35.  But hey, at least WoW was the first mmo.

It's sad how I can still remember the old feelings of respect that I had for Blizzard as a company, back in their old Warcraft 1-3, Starcraft, and Diablo 1-2 days.  How far the mighty have fallen due to their immense greed.   

Lol, yes, you're completely correct. Totally greedy. I've taken the time to create a list of price increases on WoW's subscriptions since 2004:

Year Sub Cost % Increase
    2004 $14.99 N/A
    2005 $14.99 0%
    2006 $14.99 0%
    2007 $14.99 0%
    2008 $14.99 0%
    2009 $14.99 0%
    2010 $14.99 0%
    2011 $14.99 0%
    2012 $14.99 0%
    2013 $14.99 0%
    2014 $14.99 0%

If that's not greed, I don't know what is. 

Great response, however..  WoW was also the first mmo that I am aware of to start charging $15 a month - setting a new greedy standard price,  Before WoW most of the mainstream mmo's were only charging $10-$12 a month.  So yes, thank you for reminding me of that fact with your fanboi retort.   

When WoW set those prices they had no idea what they had on their hands.  going from the 12.95 standard to 14.99 is more than reasonable considering the inflation and even greater rise in developer salaries.  And making content for WoW simply costs more money than making content for EQ1.  

You should think things through before you blindly bash.  Not saying WoW isnt swimming in cash, but the price was set before anyone knew it would it would attract millions.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

WoW did it, so we must hate it! Hate Blizzard! Hate D3! Hate WoW! Hate SC2! Renounce the evil works of ActiBlizz!

Can't say the reaction surprises me, but as usual it never fails to entertain. This is what, the 15th time in several years people here have screamed about Blizzard finally killing WoW? While still funny, it's also getting progressively sadder each time.

Did it ever occur to some of you fine folks that maybe somebody who has several characters at max level might actually not want to go through the same  content they've seen eighteen billion times before in order to see what a different class is like? To some people that very well may be worth $60.

Even if someone did just buy the game & purchase a max level character, why is that a bad thing? Hate to break it to you folks, but just because someone has leveled through the content doesn't mean they know squat about their class, and the amount of terrible players in the game pretty much attests to that.

In short, it's much ado about nothing at all. Good for a chuckle though.

A parting tip: Stop worrying about what other people do with their money, and worry instead about keeping track of your own. Trust me, your stress levels will decrease tremendously.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Did it ever occur to some of you fine folks that maybe somebody who has several characters at max level might actually not want to go through the same  content they've seen eighteen billion times before in order to see what a different class is like? To some people that very well may be worth $60.

What a way to treat a loyal paying customer

They've been paying a sub for years and seen the content 18 billion times before, so lets smack em with a $60 charge to bypass it.

$20 would be a little more respectable if not still too much. I think veteran player's with accounts lasting over years should be able to start 90's free of charge (not like it cost's Blizz anything)

Talk about an asshole dick head company

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Path4Path4 Member Posts: 35

$30-35 is not bad.  $60 is a nope. 

This game is old, and they know that.  I'm sure they'll find a more reasonable price.  Throwing this number out there will get a good response.

I'm sure people would spend $60, but since this game caters to the masses, make the price lower.  LFR, dumbing down the game etc.. this game has  been made for the masses, not the "elite" (lifeless).

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    What's the point of the entire game area levels 1-70 anymore?