Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: $60 for a Level 90 Character Boost? Say It Ain't So!

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    I would pay no more then 20 bucks. Problem is that as a game is out as long as WoW you have to level in zones so empty and people play MMOs to make and play with friends. Getting people past the bloated level system is WoWs problem not the players. This could have been a good fix to get new players playing with the community. Instead its just a money gouge. Games that dont raise the level cap or have no level system IMO are going to win out in the end!!!!!

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    60$. There's no way.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

I do feel like blizz are going above&beyond with this store, just makes me think they're bs'ing with their subs. I'm only speculating, but for a company that has double or triple the subs of most P2P games, they seem to be putting whole lot of effort into the store lately.  I'm not crazy thinking this right? :/

• MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by SBFord
    Originally posted by Satyros
    So many people bought max-leveled characters for a lot more. And illegally. Yeah, sure they will use it. Is it stupid? Yes, it is.

While I agree with this in theory, in practice $60 seems very steep.

As stated before, I believe the mark was set high to prevent people (except the truly unbalanced) from rushing in and buying a 90 when the service isn't fully implemented yet. Sure who knows maybe it WILL be 60 bucks, but again, that's what? 3-6 hours of pay :) I won't pay it, but it's 'fair'

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Honestly I think this is okay. There are a lot of people who are willing to skip the content because they have done it so many times. People were buying wow characters for so much, I remember selling one to someone for 300 dollars back in BC. If people are willing to spend the money on it then it shouldn't really matter to anyone else.
    Originally posted by Jafotron

I do feel like blizz are going above&beyond with this store, just makes me think they're bs'ing with their subs. I'm only speculating, but for a company that has double or triple the subs of most P2P games, they seem to be putting whole lot of effort into the store lately.  I'm not crazy thinking this right? :/

Nope, but then again remember, the original xp boost items in the store were made for the Asian markets. It really costs them nothing to put the ability to do these things in, and if some people say "Yeah, I always wanted a <insert class here> but don't have 3 days to make them raid ready" it's all bonus. Besides, it's not like any raiding group is going to take a raider they don't know, so little to no chance of "Right ok I'm the Warrior so I'll tank....ummmm, how do I do that?"

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by Jafotron

The weekend they tested the store with the sparkle pony mount and made 25 mill just over the weekend was the day no game company could pass by having a cash shop. You can thank gamers for that. Services we used to get included with our sub is now microtrasaction hit after hit. 

Originally posted by Darknessguy64
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    And so the true death of wow has begun.

All of you mark and stamp my words in your memory.

This is the death of wow and you will see the servers plummet in population.

I levelled to 90 warrior last month after leaving lotro to raid in wow after hearing wow was still good. It was so easy. Every dungeon I never died. The dungeons were dps ganks. So easy.

The first raid I did was the same. Easy as hell.

That night I logged out and cancelled my sub.

Wow you must have done well in those normal/flex/heroic raids. Or do you mean the Lfr...which aren't meant to be a huge challenge.

Edit: Opps...sorry for feeding the troll... :-(

LOL I tried to warn ya :D

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    And so the true death of wow has begun.

All of you mark and stamp my words in your memory.

This is the death of wow and you will see the servers plummet in population.

I levelled to 90 warrior last month after leaving lotro to raid in wow after hearing wow was still good. It was so easy. Every dungeon I never died. The dungeons were dps ganks. So easy.

The first raid I did was the same. Easy as hell.

That night I logged out and cancelled my sub.

Mark your words?  Get over yourself please.

This isn't the first company to do this. It won't be the last.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

You gotta love Blizzard, they really know how to make a buck. 

In two years they will have a sub and the worst B2W cashshop in the game to make even more money. But Blizzard has always been a money first kind of company. Look at everyone buying Diablo 3 and it totally sucked and still everyone got it. 

Blizzard is like Apple, they sell it all just at a steaper price and with less quality but very good marketing.

My hats of to that company they are the best at what they do and thats why they will always remain on top of there thrown as king of the mmo industry.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Too steep for my taste.  

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk
    Originally posted by Reignson

Yet another example of WoW blatantly stealing ideas from other mmo's.  EQ2 already offers instant character leveling to 85 - for $35.  But hey, at least WoW was the first mmo.

It's sad how I can still remember the old feelings of respect that I had for Blizzard as a company, back in their old Warcraft 1-3, Starcraft, and Diablo 1-2 days.  How far the mighty have fallen due to their immense greed.   

Lol, yes, you're completely correct. Totally greedy. I've taken the time to create a list of price increases on WoW's subscriptions since 2004:

Year Sub Cost % Increase
    2004 $14.99 N/A
    2005 $14.99 0%
    2006 $14.99 0%
    2007 $14.99 0%
    2008 $14.99 0%
    2009 $14.99 0%
    2010 $14.99 0%
    2011 $14.99 0%
    2012 $14.99 0%
    2013 $14.99 0%
    2014 $14.99 0%

If that's not greed, I don't know what is. 

false, just because an item shop is optional, it is still a price increase, you have to pay more to access that content or services, so you hinting at there have been no price increase is just not good enough

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

You gotta love Blizzard, they really know how to make a buck. 

In two years they will have a sub and the worst B2W cashshop in the game to make even more money. But Blizzard has always been a money first kind of company. Look at everyone buying Diablo 3 and it totally sucked and still everyone got it. 

Blizzard is like Apple, they sell it all just at a steaper price and with less quality but very good marketing.

My hats of to that company they are the best at what they do and thats why they will always remain on top of there thrown as king of the mmo industry. 

Believe it or not, there are many who don't think D3 sucked. Most of them are ones who didn't cheapen their experience with buying the best gear off the AH...

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    I could be wrong, But i could not see through all the complaining someone suggesting a good price point?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Bare with me here because I just saw this thread....

Let me know if I got this straight.  People pay money for a high level character so they don't have to actually play the game? 

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Only $60? It should cost much more...
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I'd pay a more reasonable price for it (around $20) just so I can play with my friends.  I've quit and come back 3 times now because I end up bored out of my mind with questing/healing dungeons that, while quite fun, aren't difficult. 
  • ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Let me know if I got this straight.  People pay money for a high level character so they don't have to actually play the game? 

Yep, they won't spend 2 days max of playtime to get level 90 char. 

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

So now we're supposed to be paying through the nose NOT to go through the so-vaunted "journey" and instead start at the endgame. Remember "game begins at endgame?" Well, now it does, for 60$ extra.

In the olden days I remember paying FOR the content rather than to avoid it...

Man, this whole themepark gated leveling concept is so broken that I don't know whether to laugh or cry anymore. It all reminds me of those annoying beggars who pretend you're supposed to pay them for their music... while they're actually blackmailing you to stop their horrible screeching.

Next step: levels 80-90 now take you twice as long as 1-80; and it's all kill ten rats

Next gen mmos, Bliz style (titan?): "Just give us money, now, or... we'll make you play it."

• LungingWolfLungingWolf Member Posts: 73
    Well, instant character boosts are great for cash shop profit, but a bad sign for a game's replay value.

Waiting for: Citadel of Sorcery. Along the way, The Elder Scrolls Online (when it is F2P).

Keeping an eye on: www.play2crush.com (whatever is going on here).

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Milander
    Originally posted by laserit

$WoW$

How much you want to bet they slow down the speed of leveling now.

How much you want to bet, it was added to the list, not completely implemented nor tested and set high to stop people from using it? Hence why it was only available for a few minutes before being removed. Besides, who the hell CARES? I mean seriously, that's what? 3-6 hours of pay for something that would normally take a day or 2?

It's just another Blizzard fan appreciation day.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DraylynnDraylynn Member UncommonPosts: 11

WOLTK was a bad precedent, when they started throwing high level stuff at players for virtually free and making the game incredibly easy. Surely the naïve players saw this coming?

Welcome to the world of MMORPG's, where the game is stripped of challenge by dumbing down the content and everything can be purchased through an item mall.

WoW isn't the only one starting to do this kind of thing, people don't understand what a good game is nowadays, it's sickening. But yeh, keep throwing money at these companies by all means.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

People with multiple characters wish to pay this $60 to avoid repeating content they have already done.

Using this new service, they can instantly attain level 90 and...err...umm...do the same content over and over that their other 90's have been doing for a year... /oh boy...

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Yep, they won't spend 2 days max of playtime to get level 90 char. 

This doesn't happen very often, but I'm speechless.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I had to go to the official forums and check out the defenders of the faith. Funny stuff.