Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was one of the biggest fans at release but.....

keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

Despite the fact that I thought it was solid, it wasn't solid enough to keep me. I struggled In the 20s to log in, still made it to level 46 and stopped. I defended the game endlessly prior to release, but ended up disappointed for a couple of reasons:

1) it felt way too linear.

2) the world felt too static and soulless. What I mean by that is that there were beautiful environments, but there was so much empty space consisting of static NPCs that stood around and didn't do anything both in and out of the cities. It made the world feel lonely.

3) On top of that, the lack of day night cycles, changing weather effects, and lack of basic MMO staples like swimming even on top of the water made things felt even more static.

4) the side things were missing and the social area was instanced on the fleet with cantinas ignored.

5) being a huge explorer, exploring for datacrons didn't cut it for me.

To me the strengths were obviously the story, voice acting, music, one of the most polished MMOs at release in my opinion despite end game and PVP issues. Unlike the haters I felt graphically and artistically the world beauty was very solid. Companion system was a pro and a con. I think it was very well implemented but made the game feel even more solo friendly then normal.

i congratulate the developers on the space PVP even though that's not my thing, but have they addressed any of the things I mentioned? Does the expansion feel more open and less linear? Have they added any more of a dynamic feel to the world? Has exploration become anything more than searching for datacrons? Have they added more side things and put the social spots in the right spot? 

Curious to hear from fans how the PVE world has evolved since 6-9 months post release.

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    I'd recommend playing SWG pre cu emulator. Nothing linear about that wonderful MMO. :-)
  • CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
    I'd recommend playing SWG pre cu emulator. Nothing linear about that wonderful MMO. :-)

Not really anything Star Wars about it either, so I'm not sure why it gets brought up so often in discussions of TOR.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

Nice choice of font color.

Quick question...do you live inside a nuclear reactor?

• bobdole1979bobdole1979 Member Posts: 210

nothing linear and nothing good either. 

Unless you like insane amounts of grinding and really buggy games that have 0 story.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212

This man speaks the truth :)

Driz

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Except that pre-CU SWG is INCREDIBLY dated at this point and will only appeal to nostalgic ex-players and hardcore sandbox fans.

I tried to go back and see if it was any good, but I could not get past the dated visuals and horrible combat system. I swear... the delay on abilities is absolutely terrible in that game. I'm a huge sandbox fan too... just couldn't do it.

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    Originally posted by Anubisan

Except that pre-CU SWG is INCREDIBLY dated at this point and will only appeal to nostalgic ex-players and hardcore sandbox fans.

I tried to go back and see if it was any good, but I could not get past the dated visuals and horrible combat system. I swear... the delay on abilities is absolutely terrible in that game. I'm a huge sandbox fan too... just couldn't do it.

pre CU SWG had a lot of issues, a lot of great things but a lot of issues as well and that is something that most fans seem to have completely forgotten. Giant Battlegrounds that never worked for example.... Overpowered Combat Medics and Rifleman....

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    You need to remember the hipser gamer motto:  It was always better in a mythical past.   Everquest, SWG, UO , it doesnt matter.  They were all perfect and so much better than anything today. Of course, I can no longer play them but they are sooo much better than anything today.   Embrace your true hipster gamer image
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Fenrir767
    Originally posted by Anubisan

pre CU SWG had a lot of issues, a lot of great things but a lot of issues as well and that is something that most fans seem to have completely forgotten. Giant Battlegrounds that never worked for example.... Overpowered Combat Medics and Rifleman....

When a game has to do a complete overhaul of all their gameplay mechanics you know it has (had) issues.

SWG has always been known as a very troubled game with a pretty small playerbase - it always cracks me up when I see someone say that SWTOR would've been the big WoW killer if it had just been SWG 2.0!

Conveniently enough they ignore the fact that even at its prime SWG wasn't even a blip on WoW's radar competition-wise.

Also... +1 for being a Browncoat! image

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Reham34
    Originally posted by CazNeerg

Not really anything Star Wars about it either, so I'm not sure why it gets brought up so often in discussions of TOR.

Well on other sites and getting the impression this site too (probably the same few) some feel the need to bash, spread doom and gloom and always refer to swg as being some amazing great game.  Well it's clear Swtor is doing pretty good and that's get these swg vets going. 

I remember playing SWG from day 1.. and loved it...... BUT.. 

1. Too damn many program bugs
    2. Too damn many macro bots
    3. Too damn many flavor of the month combat specs
    4. Too damn many macro bots
    5. No Jedi's so to speak (That was EPIC fail to make a Star Wars game with no Jedi class easily attainable)
    6. Too damn many program bugs
    7. Some crafting professions needed tweaked but were ignored.
    8. Too damn many macro bots
    9. TEF was too damn long
    Oh.. btw.. did I mention there were way too damn many people bot'ing the entire game?  LOL

I played SWG longer then I played SWTOR.. just saying..
  • Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    Star Wars was a smash hit in release at the time it broke box office records it didn't happen 10 years later it happened on release and on that day FOX execs cursed themselves for leaving Lucas most of the rights.