Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: Adventure Is In There!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

If you like this title, turn to page 5. If you don’t like this title, turn to page 74

We’ve heard a lot about WildStar’s ‘choose your journey’ Adventures recently, but never had the chance to dive in and take a closer look. That’s now changed, with Senior Content Designer Matt Tobiasson taking me on a guided tour through one of the option-laden scenarios. Would it feel like a run-of-the-mill dungeon, or had Carbine managed to add something new to the mix? Find out, as I enter Riot In the Void.

Read more of Gareth Harmer's WildStar: Adventure is in There!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    The first video didn't look too exciting. The ones shown in the dev speak seemed much more interesting. The Malgrave trail looks epic, quite a big map for an instance.
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    I am taking a break from MMO's until this game comes out, hoping that my MMO burnout will wear off in time. This game looks fun and it has been a while since an MMO has been fun
  • AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    Now for Carbine to release the game and deliver on these promises.

• KarontenoKamiiKarontenoKamii Member UncommonPosts: 25
    So this is their take on Swtor minigames? great
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

An another futur F2P...

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034

As I read through the article and watched the video - the re-occurring thought was, "Yes! this is what I wanted." 

Sub haters are going to hate - it's not going f2p folks, it's high quality and it's got staying power, just wait and see. 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Its a game just to enjoy and not think to much...

i was actually surprised that i felt part of a story, with so much or few info

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    If you consider story just from this article it really plays into the aesthetic nature of the players. That is it really puts you into the moment and for some of us, that is how we normally do things in our daily routines. I read a book, I tend to live what I am reading, I see someone in pain,  I easily put myself in their shoes and feel compassion for them....
  • KrightonKrighton Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    If you consider story just from this article it really plays into the aesthetic nature of the players. That is it really puts you into the moment and for some of us, that is how we normally do things in our daily routines. I read a book, I tend to live what I am reading, I see someone in pain,  I easily put myself in their shoes and feel compassion for them....

That's called Empathy. Do you think Carbine has any? Nope.

• BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Love the idea here, cant wait to try these :)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

If I wanted to play Simon on the Internet..........

http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/memory_games/memory_games_simon.html

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I had one of these if you saved the gnome you saw him pop his head up half way through the instance while if you didn't save the gnome you didn't see his head pop up. Hope it's more than just something like that for choice.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• EpiconEpicon Member Posts: 121

So if you hate subs you won't like Wildstar? Not because you didn't like the game?

Last time I checked paying a subscription for WoW and ESO, coming up.

I hated my time with the Wildstar beta, but if I don't end up liking WoD (doubtful) or ESO fails by the time I get 200 hours worth of playtime  (Love the game, don't think it will), I might check it out, even with my low opinion.

"What tastes like purple?"

• DelficDelfic Member UncommonPosts: 23

Don't judge wildstar if you haven't try it. Was highly impressed and addicted to it. Thank god a friend gave me that stress key. I agree on what someone else said. This game is high quality and do not expect f2p

• ahamling27ahamling27 Member Posts: 3

Same run-through from a different perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Um6EpwBJE

It was fun playing with you Gareth!

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181
    the adventures are interesting but i wonder how long it will take till the players realise this is the best option path to take for most xp/loots?
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Apart from the flashing graphical effects which blinded me it might be fun .

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Such a shame this is a sci-fi cartoon comic setting. Something out of futurama.If only it had been made a medieval theme it would have hit the masses. Regardless of gameplay I don't want to adventure in a cartoon world.

And there's many out there feeling the same and this is where it's going to hit them.

Not for me

Just because you don't like the setting and art style doesn't mean that there isn't just as many or more that like it or are able to enjoy both this and the medieval theme.

There's no proof that this will "hit" them any more than another art style/ theme.

My suggestion, actually try to get a key for beta and try the game.  You might like it.  I remember when I was younger I hated vegetables too because I thought they looked "icky," but you know what?  I love them now and they look and taste damn good to me.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

• DreycraftDreycraft Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Just watched the trailer for this on the Beta key giveaway page. Even though it's ESO all the way for me I must say this game looks really fun. I love the cartoony graphics, it looks like an mmorpg set in the Ratchet & Clank universe or something, which is pretty awesome. 
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Well, can someone tell the guy from the video that a pretty good number of people are listening to him.?!

He sounds like he just waked up after 1 hour of sleep.

Every moment I was expected a line like "you know what? get the fuck out. i am back to bed"

Anyway, been watched other "Riot In The Void" videos including the Dev's one, and I really really liked what I saw. 

( IOEH#@IJH#JDS(U@H#LKJ@JLKJ#KL@#@H#@J! ) Who pressed the Red Button ?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by Randallt3mp
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Such a shame this is a sci-fi cartoon comic setting. Something out of futurama.If only it had been made a medieval theme it would have hit the masses. Regardless of gameplay I don't want to adventure in a cartoon world.

And there's many out there feeling the same and this is where it's going to hit them.

Not for me

Just because you don't like the setting and art style doesn't mean that there isn't just as many or more that like it or are able to enjoy both this and the medieval theme.

There's no proof that this will "hit" them any more than another art style/ theme.

My suggestion, actually try to get a key for beta and try the game.  You might like it.  I remember when I was younger I hated vegetables too because I thought they looked "icky," but you know what?  I love them now and they look and taste damn good to me.

I think in general fantasy themes have more wide appeal than SF does.  I myself also prefer fantasy.  That said, I have played during the stress tests and I love the game.  Yes I would have probably liked it even more if it was fantasy based instead of SF, but I'll likely be playing it once it comes out anyway. 

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Krighton
    Originally posted by Rockniss

That's called Empathy. Do you think Carbine has any? Nope.

What did Carbine do to you? They've been pretty cool from what I've seen. This isn't the first time I've seen you bash them. 

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• HexamusHexamus Member UncommonPosts: 41

Out of all the arguments against this game I've yet to see one constructive one. 

"OH! CARTOONY" You know... Because half of the cartoons watched nowadays aren't an adult majority? Because this same crap was said against WoW and it was on time, if not STILL on top to this day?

"WOW CLONE!" I thought we had all grown up pass this but obviously not. We still have little kids and adults with little kid minds saying this. Wildstar used what worked and made it better. Get over it. Just like WoW took all the things that worked in Everquest and bettered it. 

"TOO MANY TELEGRAPHS!" Well, this I can agree with. Because if you don't understand basic shapes and how to measure simple distance you probably shouldn't play Wildstar... Or ANY game. (And yes I have heard this unfortunate argument.)

I can go on but we all get the point. People hate because they want to hate. Do people have good arguments? Sometimes. But it is rarely seen. Will this game be an instant success? Maybe. Maybe not. All I'm saying is so far, by the looks of it, Carbine seems to be doing things right so far. We'll see what the future holds. 

• OrbaliskBaneOrbaliskBane Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Rockniss I agree. Wild star is my last hope for mmos, although I am enjoying Smite right now and supporting the Devs for that game, as for carbine, take my money! <3
  • mattidoremattidore Member Posts: 31
    love how all the ESO haters have now moved onto hating Wildstar.