Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: The Best & Worst Things About ESO

Comments

• MandaloreMandalore Member UncommonPosts: 131

You missed the awefull UI. Its one of the worst in the MMORPG genre. 

As long as they donf support standard MMO funcionality its no game for me. 

I need an overview of my buffs and debuffs and some way to see my damage (SCT and/or combatlog in chat).

Thats the bare minimum. 

-------------------------------------
     Playing: Overwatch, Genshin Impact, Black Desert Mobile, Hundred Soul, Cyberpunk 2077
     Inactive: WAR, DAoC, RIFT, GW1/2, TSW, Age of Wulin, Black Desert, Blade & Soul, Skyforge

• drkorodrkoro Member UncommonPosts: 5

I think the item 5 at the list its not that bad as described.

Since Teso uses alot of instancing, you have an option to click "Travel to player", so you will go to his/her instance again, and be able to help on the story again.

Whats really a No No...

- HP Bars too slim, its hard to noticed em rightly at PvP, specially if an ally its not on your raid.

- Lack of tagging, you cant mark players/mob to setup an order attack.

- Lack of buff/debuff icons, this really makes harder for healer to track stuff.

• jacker1991jacker1991 Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    The worst thing is no solid dungeon raiding. Just something called adventure zones. Which are a 12 man gank/ rift or final fantasy style fate.

$15 a month for that and the end game?

Get real ESO what were u devs on when you decided that the end game didn't matter.

you see, the thing is - a lot of people - me included - couldnt care less about raiding... and whats better? 40 men raiding? or 2000 men pvp?

LOLS!

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Wow raiding on lfr is easy and that's what your used too. Wow is a dumbed down game. Extremely dumbed down. I'm not talking of wow raiding as it is now.

Lotro raids were extremely difficult and hugely satisfying and so are final fantasy ones.

ESO without raids means they just are making shortcuts to the endgame and it's the endgame that keeps a game living. Without it it will die as ESO will find out

WoW's heroic raids are the hardest, most challenging, complex, and rewarding raids of any game on the market, by a large margin. Why are you pigeon holding WoW's raid content to lfr?

• DrisdaneDrisdane Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    2000 pvp maybe better for you. Since it's a skilless mindless gankfest something you can do in many free to play games for free. The 2000 pvp is just a cheaper method for devs to let the players just have a go at each other.

Why would I pay $15 a month for that? It's available free in many mmos.

Where as good raiding is now only available in about 3 or 4 mmos.

$15 a month = that you must have raiding

Raided all WoW raids just hitting one button. when u done raids, u know all tactics and its just move tis spot soon, spam 2 2 2 2 2 2 2, move again, spam 2 2 2 2 2.

And you were probably the lowest dps in your raid, day after day. Top end raiding in WoW was nothing like that.

• Randallt3mpRandallt3mp Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Spawnblade
    They should just remove monster telegraphing altogether.  If you can't tell what a monster is going to do from its skill animation, you shouldn't know to dodge it.  I mean... giant red circle?  Glowing lines pointing you to healers?  Clearly this is intended for people who just aren't good at games.  But why lower everyone to that level?  It's like No Money* Left Behind.

Fixed that for you.  And yes i agree.  On top of that the monsters telegraphed moves finish way to slowly for anyone with half a brain to be caught in it when it goes off.

MMOs Played: FFXI,Age of Conan, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, TERA, TSW, GW2

Playing:None

Waiting For: Wildstar, The Repopulation, Archeage, TESO, Warhammer 40K:EC, EQN

Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    Seems like the actuall endgame PVP with RvRvR is pointless, so I will pass on ESO. They sure missed the chance on making this the first AAA-sandbox MMO. So sad. And with the themepark changes to ArcheAge, us sandbox lovers will have to stick to indie games like Mortal Online (that almost is more of a "Elder Scrolls"-MMO then ESO...). And I personally look forward to The Repopulation myself.

i guess "fun" in a game is pointless for you....

Yeah, to me pointless PVP and RvRvR ain't "fun". Needs to be something on the line for it to be "fun" for me. And  by that I mean more then some crappy alliance points...

I think they call that extrinsically rewarding.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by doodphace
    Wow raiding on lfr is easy and that's what your used too. Wow is a dumbed down game. Extremely dumbed down. I'm not talking of wow raiding as it is now.

Lotro raids were extremely difficult and hugely satisfying and so are final fantasy ones.

ESO without raids means they just are making shortcuts to the endgame and it's the endgame that keeps a game living. Without it it will die as ESO will find out

WoW's heroic raids are the hardest, most challenging, complex, and rewarding raids of any game on the market, by a large margin. Why are you pigeon holding WoW's raid content to lfr?

Opinions are just that, opinions.   I totally disagree but that doesn't make me anymore right than you.  We just like different things.

Originally posted by MrG8
    I dont agree with any of the bad points.. Wonder how many levels you played .. :)

Um....most of the bad points he made are irrelevant to how many levels he played.  They are just part of the games design through the entire game. i.e. combat/moving animations, phasing issues, etc...

Originally posted by Mandalore

You missed the awefull UI. Its one of the worst in the MMORPG genre. 

As long as they donf support standard MMO funcionality its no game for me. 

I need an overview of my buffs and debuffs and some way to see my damage (SCT and/or combatlog in chat).

Thats the bare minimum. 

They are going to allow some mods/addons, but personally I would hate to see this games UI turned into standard mmo screen clutter.  I think the minimalist design they went with works perfectly fine for it and is great for immerision in an elder scrolls game.

Maybe you should just stick to wildstar? constant screen clutter and boxes popping up all over the place.  Even so I plan on playing it too.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Khm ... is possible this game does not have 3rd person view?? I'm guessing from 3), talking about first person. This alone mean I would never play. If it is so.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    The worst thing is no solid dungeon raiding. Just something called adventure zones. Which are a 12 man gank/ rift or final fantasy style fate.

Get real ESO what were u devs on when you decided that the end game didn't matter.

There are a lot more gamers who don't raid than those who do.  Perhaps it's time there was a game that took this to heart.

Originally posted by daltanious
    Khm ... is possible this game does not have 3rd person view?? I'm guessing from 3), talking about first person. This alone mean I would never play. If it is so.

Not to be rude, but did you just hear about this game or something? 

Yes it has 3rd person view as well as 1st person.  Although the 1st person view is better than most mmos offer, it was only added by request of the fans and some people are concerned that it just isnt feasible to use it through the entire game due to small FOV and such.

2000 pvp maybe better for you. Since it's a skilless mindless gankfest something you can do in many free to play games for free. The 2000 pvp is just a cheaper method for devs to let the players just have a go at each other.

You're joking right?  Off the top of my head, I can only think of one or two games without raiding and that is Wizardry 101 and maybe Ryzom or Free Realms (never got to high levels).  One of the newest games out there, Planetside 2, is nothing but raiding from day one, where soloing is virtually non-existent and small groups (squads) are more often than not completely run over by the raid sized zerg.  All of the recent releases have raiding, including Tera, SWTOR, Rift, FFXIV, TSW and even GW2.

I think your problem isn't that there aren't enough raiding games, but rather enough raiding games that fit your specific play style.  In my book, there need to be far more MMOs out there with a real and rewarding alternative to raiding as their end game content.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

You're joking right?  Off the top of my head, I can only think of one or two games without raiding and that is Wizardry 101 and maybe Ryzom or Free Realms (never got to high levels).  One of the newest games out there, Planetside 2, is nothing but raiding from day one, where soloing is virtually non-existent and small groups (squads) are more often than not completely run over by the raid sized zerg.  All of the recent releases have raiding, including Tera, SWTOR, Rift, FFXIV, TSW and even GW2.

I think your problem isn't that there aren't enough raiding games, but rather enough raiding games that fit your specific play style.  In my book, there need to be far more MMOs out there with a real and rewarding alternative to raiding as their end game content.

Originally posted by Latronus

Opinions are just that, opinions.   I totally disagree but that doesn't make me anymore right than you.  We just like different things.

We wern't discussing likeing something or not, i was discussing the pinnacle of WoW raiding not being LFR. As far as opinions, which MMO currently on the market has harder and more complex raid encounters than WoW in your eyes? Id like to give it a look.

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

you see, the thing is - a lot of people - me included - couldnt care less about raiding... and whats better? 40 men raiding? or 2000 men pvp?

2000 men pvp PLUS raiding, would be better, wouldn't you agree?

Why would you want to alianate more than half of the themepark MMO demographic by not including raids?

Half? Huh?  Most people literally never raid.  If you only include "serious" raiders the population is what, maybe 5% of the MMO audience?  I'm not saying games shouldn't have raids, the sub-audience that enjoys them is clearly one of the most dedicated, but lets not forget that most MMO players are casuals, and casuals tend not to be that into raiding.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    I agree 100%.  Really puts ESO in perspective.  The important thing is for Zenimax to polish the hell out of combat and animations.  To me, this is pretty crucial.  This is why I've always thought April 4th release is too soon and was honestly stunned when that was announced.  The game has amazing potential but just feels rushed to me.  
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

The armor and animations restrictions won't seem so bad if they have decent cosmetic alternatives. Clothing that moves with the body looks natural with the older DX9 graphics. It's when less agile armor gains that painted look you notice the 'flaw'.

Expansive world: I haven't even been in the game and I know I will making my other faction treks before level 10 just because at 10 I lose my griefer immunity. (No PvP) and the three regions are connected by a 4th, PvP region.

tldr: You can't pull shit on us, Zenimax. We were here before you, we have seen it all, done it all.

Welcome to the internets, Tamriel.

Originally posted by CazNeerg

2000 men pvp PLUS raiding, would be better, wouldn't you agree?

Why would you want to alianate more than half of the themepark MMO demographic by not including raids?

Half? Huh?  Most people literally never raid.  If you only include "serious" raiders the population is what, maybe 5% of the MMO audience?  I'm not saying games shouldn't have raids, the sub-audience that enjoys them is clearly one of the most dedicated, but lets not forget that most MMO players are casuals, and casuals tend not to be that into raiding.

That still doesn't go against my point, of why not have both? Your exact same comment applies to PVP as well.

And my half remark was actually basing my exp in WoW and SWTOR. The easy mode raids are done by more than have its player base. I should have specified that. Its true that the hard raids are done by a very small %, but raidning in and of itself is done by most in both games.

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450

Uh oh - the 10% or so of the mmo community that are hardcore raiders aren't getting what they want.  Game is doomed.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I highly disagree with some statements.. 

The so called next generation voice acting, isnt that good if i compare it to SWTOR, and the visuals  its wrapped in are a letdown..

The slower paced combat allows for tactical thinking, to me its a great thing compared to the flashy combat in games like GW2 and wildstar.

The armor i got by level 6 or seven was realisticly looking and i liked the looks of it... no more fancy WoWish armors..  but less flashy realistic looking elderscrolls style armors..  You should have a look at most of the veteran racial armor styles in the character selection screen... they show what is to be expected..

The idea behind the phasing is great, it allows you to actually feel like the world is truely changing around you... and group up with your friends when you leave town, and you will stick together with them...  My biggest problem with the content is that its not dynamically addapting to the number of players in a phase or instance...  and that the numbers of players allocated to many of the mini dungeons was way way way to high..

Just face it, most of the PvE isnt created to play with friends. accept and adapt.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

me personally, i hate raiding, i love doing dungeons, once, maybe twice.. but to do them more than 10+ times just so i can try and get gear .. OMG shoot me in the head ... it gets so old to me so fast .. because you have to basically do them the same way each and every time .. so boring .. i love PVP because even though its almost doing the same thing, its never exactly the same, there are diff class's, different amounts of people, people just seem to think and do things differently than each other so i have different experiences each time .. im not told where to stand, what build i should be, how to play .. like you are when you do RAIDS ... 

i just wish that the battles in PVP would have some kind of impact on the world, to make it a lil more worth winning .. thats all   .

• al1enoidal1enoid Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Not quite living up to its hype imo... i dont feel like its worth the box price at launch AND a monthly fee. Unless some miracle happens, im gonna wait till its on sale on steam if it will be on steam or price in stores comes down. If it hasnt gone f2p or b2p before that that is.
  • DelficDelfic Member UncommonPosts: 23
    very very good review.... thank you very much