Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good blood-mage build?

When i played the (not the last one the one before) beta i made a kajiit nightblade that wears medium armor and uses great-swords. It worked pretty good.

With that said, i kind of want to make a dark mage type of vampire guy.  Only using a nightblade and a greatsword i am not sure what kind of weapon/armor/crafting/class i should use.

So far i'm going to be a vampire (and probably a sorcerer because it goes with mage even though nightblade is probably not bad of a choice either.)

Anyone have any ideas on weapons, armor, crafting, etc i should use for this dark blood mage?

Comments

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

I'm a little confused and here's why.  To say you're used a Greatsword, tells me you want more melee action, then wearing medium armor  The wearing of the medium armor, ok with that, but plate with give more health and resistances, whilc cloth will give spell power.  Not sure what abilities and trees you were using as a night blade.  To ask to be a Blood mage, implies you want to be a casters of types so not sure why you are using the 2H, some games have blood mages as healers, others as more wizardy types, so which one.

My first question would be to describe everything you want you "blood mage" to do so we know the playstyle your after.  Your chosen weapon, armor type, preferences of spells, roles, anything you can.  Also keep in mind that Like the Fighter's and mages guild, there will be a Vampire type guild and the DarkBrotherhood.

• Originally posted by godzilr1

I'm a little confused and here's why.  To say you're used a Greatsword, tells me you want more melee action, then wearing medium armor  The wearing of the medium armor, ok with that, but plate with give more health and resistances, whilc cloth will give spell power.  Not sure what abilities and trees you were using as a night blade.  To ask to be a Blood mage, implies you want to be a casters of types so not sure why you are using the 2H, some games have blood mages as healers, others as more wizardy types, so which one.

My first question would be to describe everything you want you "blood mage" to do so we know the playstyle your after.  Your chosen weapon, armor type, preferences of spells, roles, anything you can.  Also keep in mind that Like the Fighter's and mages guild, there will be a Vampire type guild and the DarkBrotherhood.

I want a more wizardly blood mage. You know like a evil vampire mage.

I was telling you all that extra info so you could get a background on the things i know.

ok more wizardly, got it  So right now i'd say your in the Cloth armor with a Destruction staff (maybe resto depeding on if you want to heal a little)

tell me about "blood mage' what does that mean to you.  what spells types do you want?  DOTs? leeches? transfers? drains? snares? pets?

play around on this, it might help:

http://skillcalc.massyx.de/

• Originally posted by godzilr1

ok more wizardly, got it  So right now i'd say your in the Cloth armor with a Destruction staff (maybe resto depeding on if you want to heal a little)

tell me about "blood mage' what does that mean to you.  what spells types do you want?  DOTs? leeches? transfers? drains? snares? pets?

play around on this, it might help:

http://skillcalc.massyx.de/

Blood mage to me means like...leeches and drains. Killing something for your own health and using magic to do it.

Thanks.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

The Nightblade siphoning line + the undaunted Blood Well will give you about the best "blood mage" feel. It also has great CC and self (mostly...but some morphs let you heal assist a party easily) healing.

The weapon you choose is entirely up to you but all of the abilities from the siphoning line as well as blood well use Magika, so light armor is what you want.

Last beta I had a mix of Bow abilites and Siphoning as well as the morphed undaunted bloodwell. When morphed, you can get a steady +40% health regen from it - great in dungeon runs to help out the healer.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Ok with that in mind, it sound more like what I know as a Necro, you probably just don't want the pets. So I would say you should probably go the Route of a Nightblade, specializing in the Siphon school In cloth  Weapon could be destruction staff maybe even bow for the posing arrow, or resto staff for siphon.. all will keep you at range too.  The mage Guild has a skill, Entropy, look that up.  Also look at Undaunted, Blood alter spell for a group support spell. 

AND MOST important, the details are not out yet on the Vampire and Dark Briotherhood, this could change everything

• Originally posted by Iselin

The Nightblade siphoning line + the undaunted Blood Well will give you about the best "blood mage" feel. It also has great CC and self (mostly...but some morphs let you heal assist a party easily) healing.

The weapon you choose is entirely up to you but all of the abilities from the siphoning line as well as blood well use Magika, so light armor is what you want.

Last beta I had a mix of Bow abilites and Siphoning as well as the morphed undaunted bloodwell. When morphed, you can get a steady +40% health regen from it - great in dungeon runs to help out the healer.

After looking at the siphoning skill tree,i cant agree any more! Thanks!

• Well two things 

First species (not calling them races that is silly some of them aren't even mammals). I think you probably want to decide on whether you want to be sneaky or fast.

-sneaky go with Khajiit

-fast go fir Orc 

Now vampire makes you faster when you sneak, so that may be cool in conjunction with Khajiit better stealth.  But Orc makes you sprint considerably better and perhaps the vampire sneak speed makes up for worse stealth radius.

But and this is a big 'but' Dumer get flame resist and vampires need flame resist badly.  Very badly.

Interestingly this covers all three alliances.

Secondly as a vampire you need to consider the following question: At what hunger level will I normally be at?

If you are always fed then things such as Robust from Orcs and Khajiit will be useful.  If yo uare always rank 4 you have -75% health regen and thus lose one of the nice advantages of 2 of the three races mentioned above.

Now with that for context consider Sorceror vs Nightblade.  NB has a number of ways to offset the problems have with regaining health.  On the other hand the vampire drain is fairly redundant with NB syphons (but is not spammable).  Vamp also give you some escape abilities that make NB rather nice compared to Sorc.

To me the thing with NB vamp is it seems somewhat redundant and that is a real issue in a game with limited ability slots.  On the other hand NB has very useful things like Syphon Strikes.  A vampire with very fast attack speed and Syphon Strikes might wind up rather nice (perhaps with dual wield).

So while I think its interesting that vamp adds a dimension to Sorc is does not otherwise have, I do not see Sorc as balancing out the Vamp weaknesses which NB does (templar could as well, vamp templar seems way out of theme unless you pull off some vampire hunter d type thing).

All in all though I would say that vamp does not really make NB much stronger per se.

At first blush it seems like you should very much leverage stealth to play vamp.  But the faster sneak is only at night, I believe and you only invis is an ultimate.  An NB can invis WAY more.

After thinking about it a bit I have instead come to the following thought, the best use of a vamp may be to utilize its toughness/regen (Undeath, Supernatural recovery and the two actives).  Now combine that with the following idea, most Fire damage is from spells.  Light armor gives you the best spell resistance and heavy gives decent amounts.  Additionally Sorc can get a couple nice summoning things a) conjured armor and b) that twilight morph so it heals you.  

So  Isubmit to you the following idea:

-Throw stealth out the window as a priority in the build

-Don't use medium at all

-Go for Sorc

- Create the build to be tough with an emphsis on fire resistance, make use of a lot of CC and escapes

-go for range

In this case make your character either a Dunmer(fire res) or a Breton(general spell res)

Perhaps heavy armor may work out well but my initial thought is use light armor so that you can get as much spell res as possible.  Compensate for worse armor with CC and you should be able to dodge alot because your vamp drain gives stamina.  Use conjured armor to give you a nice armor boost to compensate.  If you go Breton or Dunmer you will offset the max magicka penalty with racials.  Plus you should have very good Magicka regen as a vamp in light armor.

I would still cultivate heavy armor no matter what and possible a melee weapon as well (possibly shield ) again weight towards stacking flame resist.

When you combine these things with Undeaths rather good mitigation at low levels I think it can work out well and when it doesn't, you mist form or use your invis ultimate.

Keep in mind if you are at 25% you should have something like 25%-50% extra mitigation from undeath.  You have your own healing from drain and if you use the twilight as healer it auto heals you on low.  So the effect is multiplicative especially if you stack a bunch of other mitigation.  Add in good CC and mobility and you should give yourself enough time to recover from most things.  

Your main problem with will be spike damage (or stake damage in this case) thus you must stack flame res.  The more you cut up incoming dmaage into managable amount the harder and harder you will be to actually kill and if its done to a strong enough extent you will always have enough time to escape in some way.

• Originally posted by gestalt11

Well two things 

First species (not calling them races that is silly some of them aren't even mammals). I think you probably want to decide on whether you want to be sneaky or fast.

-sneaky go with Khajiit

-fast go fir Orc 

Now vampire makes you faster when you sneak, so that may be cool in conjunction with Khajiit better stealth.  But Orc makes you sprint considerably better and perhaps the vampire sneak speed makes up for worse stealth radius.

But and this is a big 'but' Dumer get flame resist and vampires need flame resist badly.  Very badly.

Interestingly this covers all three alliances.

Secondly as a vampire you need to consider the following question: At what hunger level will I normally be at?

If you are always fed then things such as Robust from Orcs and Khajiit will be useful.  If yo uare always rank 4 you have -75% health regen and thus lose one of the nice advantages of 2 of the three races mentioned above.

Now with that for context consider Sorceror vs Nightblade.  NB has a number of ways to offset the problems have with regaining health.  On the other hand the vampire drain is fairly redundant with NB syphons (but is not spammable).  Vamp also give you some escape abilities that make NB rather nice compared to Sorc.

To me the thing with NB vamp is it seems somewhat redundant and that is a real issue in a game with limited ability slots.  On the other hand NB has very useful things like Syphon Strikes.  A vampire with very fast attack speed and Syphon Strikes might wind up rather nice (perhaps with dual wield).

So while I think its interesting that vamp adds a dimension to Sorc is does not otherwise have, I do not see Sorc as balancing out the Vamp weaknesses which NB does (templar could as well, vamp templar seems way out of theme unless you pull off some vampire hunter d type thing).

All in all though I would say that vamp does not really make NB much stronger per se.

At first blush it seems like you should very much leverage stealth to play vamp.  But the faster sneak is only at night, I believe and you only invis is an ultimate.  An NB can invis WAY more.

After thinking about it a bit I have instead come to the following thought, the best use of a vamp may be to utilize its toughness/regen (Undeath, Supernatural recovery and the two actives).  Now combine that with the following idea, most Fire damage is from spells.  Light armor gives you the best spell resistance and heavy gives decent amounts.  Additionally Sorc can get a couple nice summoning things a) conjured armor and b) that twilight morph so it heals you.  

So  Isubmit to you the following idea:

-Throw stealth out the window as a priority in the build

-Don't use medium at all

-Go for Sorc

- Create the build to be tough with an emphsis on fire resistance, make use of a lot of CC and escapes

-go for range

In this case make your character either a Dunmer(fire res) or a Breton(general spell res)

Perhaps heavy armor may work out well but my initial thought is use light armor so that you can get as much spell res as possible.  Compensate for worse armor with CC and you should be able to dodge alot because your vamp drain gives stamina.  Use conjured armor to give you a nice armor boost to compensate.  If you go Breton or Dunmer you will offset the max magicka penalty with racials.  Plus you should have very good Magicka regen as a vamp in light armor.

I would still cultivate heavy armor no matter what and possible a melee weapon as well (possibly shield ) again weight towards stacking flame resist.

When you combine these things with Undeaths rather good mitigation at low levels I think it can work out well and when it doesn't, you mist form or use your invis ultimate.

Keep in mind if you are at 25% you should have something like 25%-50% extra mitigation from undeath.  You have your own healing from drain and if you use the twilight as healer it auto heals you on low.  So the effect is multiplicative especially if you stack a bunch of other mitigation.  Add in good CC and mobility and you should give yourself enough time to recover from most things.  

Your main problem with will be spike damage (or stake damage in this case) thus you must stack flame res.  The more you cut up incoming dmaage into managable amount the harder and harder you will be to actually kill and if its done to a strong enough extent you will always have enough time to escape in some way.

Wow. Thank man. Wow. I think i may use this, dunmer's seem good.

• HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    One thing he failed to mention with the NB vamp being redundant is IF you plan on being at stage 4 all the time, then you will never ever slot the vamp feeding skill on your bar and will need the NB drains for healing.
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by godzilr1

The "blood mage" in ESO.. aka Syphoning can not be seen as a healer. By far not. The healing output is fairly low and can maybe be utilized as a running away and flinging spells at the guys that chase you, healing up abit.

@OP: I personally have tried to build a Syphoning only caster with light armor and using the dot from your soul stone aswell. But I have failed miserably on the mainstory line where you have to kill this dinosaur, semi-elite.

Maybe it would work lateron with the snare and further skills, but to this point - other mobs died really fast, yes, but particularly tougher opponents without any snare or root: No chance.

And from what I have seen: There is no time for such fooling arounds in PvP. It is either get killed quick or kill quick. No lenghty fights. Spam CCs, nuke and run.

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239

Sorc Dark Magic line has the passive literally named "Blood Magic" where using Dark Magic on targets heal you for a percentage of your health. 

Something to think about.

Originally posted by Hrotha

The "blood mage" in ESO.. aka Syphoning can not be seen as a healer. By far not. The healing output is fairly low and can maybe be utilized as a running away and flinging spells at the guys that chase you, healing up abit.

@OP: I personally have tried to build a Syphoning only caster with light armor and using the dot from your soul stone aswell. But I have failed miserably on the mainstory line where you have to kill this dinosaur, semi-elite.

Maybe it would work lateron with the snare and further skills, but to this point - other mobs died really fast, yes, but particularly tougher opponents without any snare or root: No chance.

Stop saying this.

Just because you haven't managed to figure out how it works doesn't mean Siphoning is not a viable dungeon healing build.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by Arataki

Stop saying this.

Just because you haven't managed to figure out how it works doesn't mean Siphoning is not a viable dungeon healing build.

Well I say this because it is my experience. If someone else figures out a way to successfully heal with it, then show how.

Unfortunatelly there are not many (if any? from what I have seen) feats that increase healing "cross skill-trees". Meaning that the +heals from the Healing Staff is only restricted to it. And not further incorporated into other skill-trees.

• Originally posted by HighMarshal
    One thing he failed to mention with the NB vamp being redundant is IF you plan on being at stage 4 all the time, then you will never ever slot the vamp feeding skill on your bar and will need the NB drains for healing.

Honestly I just don't know how much healing you will need.  The thing to realize are if you are getting a lot +health regen on your build and you are going hungry vamp then these may do very little.

However I am unsure how much in combat health regen contributes to overall healing and I am unsure just how good the vamp heal is considering if you spam it it becomes less effective.

Safe bet is you should have some other healing besides the vamp one.  But how much of a malus -75% in combat health regen really is I dunno.  However I think the 50% more fire damage is far far more threatening most likely.

Originally posted by Arataki

Stop saying this.

Well I say this because it is my experience. If someone else figures out a way to successfully heal with it, then show how.

Unfortunatelly there are not many (if any? from what I have seen) feats that increase healing "cross skill-trees". Meaning that the +heals from the Healing Staff is only restricted to it. And not further incorporated into other skill-trees.

Siphon healing has it's own passives, 8/16% more healing. Morph Soul Shred ultimate to Soul Siphon. Funnel Health from Strife. Take the passive that speeds up ultimate gain every time you use a Siphon ability. Take Blood Altar from the Undaunted guild line, Morph it to Overflowing Altar. Take Siphon Strikes, morph it to Siphoning Attacks. Morph Cripple to Debilitate. Do whatever you want with Agony. 

I used Impale, the range morph for Assassin's Strike and took the passive that gave me magicka when I killed with an Assassin ability.

Voila, Siphoning Healer. 

For overkill, you can use a Resto staff as this build has no burst healing whatsoever. The second ability Regeneration and either of its morphs synergize well since our healing is all HoTs. The fourth ability Steadfast Ward is our "burst" in that it lets the HoTs top them off.

Generally I kept the Resto staff as my secondary in dungeons, didn't bother taking any of the passives in it. My main weapon while healing was the bow.

In order to stay hungry, that leaves a vamp build with only one active. Which is the better morph for Mist Form? Speed or poison?
    In order to stay hungry, that leaves a vamp build with only one active. Which is the better morph for Mist Form? Speed or poison?

I am unsure what you mean,  why wouldn't you be able to use the drain.

Also, for me personally, I would never take poison mist and always take speed.  You want to kill things you use an ability to kill things.  The point of mist is to get the hell out of dodge.  I guess you could use it the other way, enter in as mist and dot em up for bit while you take little damage but that is probably really shitty compared to actually attacking with real attacks.  

I dunno maybe on second thought if I were an NB and i had other means I preferred escape (stuff from shadow line) then perhaps I might proactively do a poison mist as an AOE and not a real escape at all.   I suspect it kind of sucks for that though, even if you can just sit and chill for a bit while you hurt stuff.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Simply put you are not meant to be a healer just using siphon abilities even with their heal morphs. The utility from them is supposed to supplement the use of a Resto staff.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by gestalt11
    Originally posted by HighMarshal

Also, for me personally, I would never take poison mist and always take speed.  You want to kill things you use an ability to kill things.  The point of mist is to get the hell out of dodge.  I guess you could use it the other way, enter in as mist and dot em up for bit while you take little damage but that is probably really shitty compared to actually attacking with real attacks.  

I dunno maybe on second thought if I were an NB and i had other means I preferred escape (stuff from shadow line) then perhaps I might proactively do a poison mist as an AOE and not a real escape at all.   I suspect it kind of sucks for that though, even if you can just sit and chill for a bit while you hurt stuff.

As I understand it, the drain is what feeds a vampire. Use it and you are back to stage 1.

Originally posted by Tamanous
    Simply put you are not meant to be a healer just using siphon abilities even with their heal morphs. The utility from them is supposed to supplement the use of a Resto staff.

I take it you barely read anything I wrote, if at all.

As I understand it, the drain is what feeds a vampire. Use it and you are back to stage 1.

I was under the impression feeding was it own thing separate from drain.  Due to this line in the skill description:

• Can't be applied to targets that have recently been drained or fed upon.

I was under the impression feeding was it own thing separate from drain.  Due to this line in the skill description:

• Can't be applied to targets that have recently been drained or fed upon.

Well one of us is right. What I wouldn't give for some solid information to sink my teeth into.

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    I too, am into a blood mage type character but after testing out the siphoning abilities for a couple beta events I've come to the conclusion that the life siphon portion of the ability that gives you health for 30% of the dmg done does NOT stack.  So if you nuke 3 different mobs, youll only get the siphon benefits from 1.  If you could indeed benefit from all 3 then that would be awesome but unfortunately it doesnt work that way.  At least currently, whos to say it wont change later?  We were afterall playing an old build.
    Originally posted by Mackaveli44
    I too, am into a blood mage type character but after testing out the siphoning abilities for a couple beta events I've come to the conclusion that the life siphon portion of the ability that gives you health for 30% of the dmg done does NOT stack.  So if you nuke 3 different mobs, youll only get the siphon benefits from 1.  If you could indeed benefit from all 3 then that would be awesome but unfortunately it doesnt work that way.  At least currently, whos to say it wont change later?  We were afterall playing an old build.

Funnel Health doesn't stack with itself, no. But it does stack with the heal from Soul Siphon and Blood Altar.