Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] ArcheAge: Is the Sand Leaving the Box?

Comments

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

none of this would have happened if archage released in korea as a F2P game with more grind in the first place. Sadly, they ran out of money and needed to get more people to buy stuff to stay afloat. The changes since 1.0, from my interaction with people in the Korean gaming community (I currently live in Korea) have actually liked the changes because they like grinding for power or buying it. 

Chances are, if Trion actually releases the game, will likely release a different version of it. XLGames has actually been, from my understanding, very willing to work with other publishers to cater the game to the market they are trying to release in. ArchAge ru seems to be coming along nicely and other changes to the game has been talked about from trion.

But if this was the only title you were looking forward to then I think you haven't been keeping up with the market. The Repopulation is going to be a good sandbox

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Saraliman

Are you people stupid or what? Every single publisher can choose if they need that patch or don't, they can even create their own patch...

Korean version is ruined not a freaking ArcheAge in general...

Trion is a third party publisher for ArcheAge. That means that they dont get to mess with the code, they just provide marketing, support, account services, and payment methods. They can choose not to apply patches for the game, but they cant change what is in them. They do provide feedback on regional differences, and can try to convince the developer to provide the content that they feel is the most appropriate. Bottom line is that Trion may be able to convince the developer that some of the Korean content will not do well here (even easier if it doesnt do well in Korea), but they can not actually change the game in any way.

• SaralimanSaraliman Member Posts: 14

You are wrong there, why Mail.ru then told that they won't apply this patch?

Why Mail.ru left in-game shop pure cosmetic?

Why Mail.ru developers even were saying in public that they will change anything what majority of RU players are willing to if something will be wrong?

Get your facts straight before trying to prove what publishers can  or can't do with AA...

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    Originally posted by dave5698225 IMHO Trion really missed the boat on this title and should jump off this sinking ship ASAP. With the extensive story-driven and raid content that Wildstar provides, the massive PvP sieges that we have seen with the ESO beta or the minecraft-style world of EQ Next - how can anyone expect to compete in the MMORPG market without offering a solid title with a clear direction for it's players?   It wouldn't surprise me to see Trion drop ArcheAge and concentrate on Trove.
    I would argue  Trion never jumped on this "boat" .

They agreed to publish it..kinda has to go through..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

R.I.P. AA

I pretty much lost interest in this game a while ago, due to it's continued absence from Trion's line-up and the continual news updates that have grown less and less encouraging as time went by.

Trion would be wise to dump this title before they waste too much time and money on it. It seems to be destroying itself slowly but surely.

• rainmournrainmourn Member UncommonPosts: 38

Hmm, might be interested in the game if PVE content is more prominent. I always check to see if open PVP is a "feature" of a game. If it is, that's usually all I need to know to keep walking to the next MMO. Yep, there are those who seek that out and it's fine if some games cater to that crowd. But it's the facet I like least to see offered. Perhaps AA realizes they are missing out on a huge segment of gaming fans. I never understand why there can't simply be servers with different rulesets in most games (as WoW and EQ2 have done.)

• InporylemQQInporylemQQ Member Posts: 165
    Shit gonna hit the fan :P

ArcheAge, Black Desert and Bless videos InporylemQQ Youtube

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    And another great MMO hope vanishes into the hidden depths of a fat suit's wallet.  I wonder if suits and developers will ever actually meet? we should sell popcorn.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I've been looking forward to this game for so long and with such high expectations.  But if this is the way it's going, it's a sad day for what could have been.

• FappuccinoFappuccino Member Posts: 159

I can't wrap my head around the decisions made when it comes to these behemoths (big budget MMOs). I would kill to know what goes on behind the scenes.

Who makes these dumb decisions? Is someone pointing a gun at them? Is it the investors? What?

• ammonareammonare Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Saraliman

You are wrong there, why Mail.ru then told that they won't apply this patch?

Why Mail.ru left in-game shop pure cosmetic?

Why Mail.ru developers even were saying in public that they will change anything what majority of RU players are willing to if something will be wrong?

Get your facts straight before trying to prove what publishers can  or can't do with AA...

Beacuse they bought  codes and all rights to them. They can make own patches etc. Trion is just publisher.

• KeksXKeksX Member UncommonPosts: 47

Hi,

small correction on the article:

One of the huge features still not in ArcheAge despite its time since release is castle sieging

Thats not true. Castle Sieging IS in the game, it's just in a really bad shape: Only 4 castles, just a huge spawn-die-spawn slaughterfest without tactics or strategies and many, many ways to exploit it and no real consequences other than bragging rights for the castle.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

As mentioned in the article, the ball is in Trion's court.

Even with the changes, it's still more sandpark than many other AAA fantasy type MMORPG's.  XLGames did seem to go a different direction though, from this games original conception.  Perhaps their suffering will lead to a new patch to undo some aspects of "grinds", especially for non-Asian countries.

The labor point P2W shenanigans are a major blunder though.  This part Trion can step up on and refuse them in their cash-shop.  Surely they can see what others are saying, and they know the dangers of P2W for longevity.

Either way, since there is no playable version in US / EU yet, I'll wait and see where the chips fall.  Changes are likely forthcoming with all the discontent going around, even in Korea.  XLGames has big plans, and I doubt they wanted a small time niche AAA MMO.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

This is some sad shit here. Oh well. I guess it depends how much Trion can keep or deviate from this restructuring of what once seemed a promising game. They already have an excellent theme park game. Hopefully they'll want to diversify and maintain more of Archeage's sandbox elements.

They're so dedicated to RIFT (and Defiant to some extent) that it would be nice to see even a fraction of that same devotion to a decent sandbox/sandpark game. Even if it only has a small but dedicated staff assigned to Archeage.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by zevni78

What a weird world this has become where SOE are cited as the correct example to follow, and the sandpark title we where looking forward to commits all the themepark sins that have degraded this game genre for a decade.

It would break my heart to see XL Games abandon the vision this game was built on if we didn't have plenty of indie sandboxes on the way now, not to mention EQN and Landmark, and from Korea Black Desert looks rather nice.

Said it when the game was still in beta in Korea that this game would be a failure.  It isn't a sandbox in the sense of any word I use as the definition.  SO what you can sail ships, the game is a linear quest driven raid centric game.  All the hallmarks and trappings of a Themepark.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Who are the morons making decisions at these companies?  I can only assume they don't actually PLAY games.  Too bad, I was looking forward to this, but we need another themepark like we need holes in our heads.  Game Over.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

No one cares about this game anymore.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWL90wryyOw

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196
    The boat for AA sailed a year ago ... sad to see they're still sailing to wrong direction ...

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196
    The boat for AA sailed a year ago ... sad to see they're still sailing to wrong direction ...

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Well too bad. Thats another game striked off my list. :(
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Six months too late for a Westernization, too many better titles releasing before or around when this game will actually hit Western markets. Was a completely waisted opportunity to make money on Trion and XL's side of things, now we've seen the failed direction the game takes and lost our interest more each month.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Originally posted by Eluwien

And now it's taking on water and sinking by the stern.

• MalanthiusMalanthius Member UncommonPosts: 13
    There is still hope for this game. It's beautifully done and very fun. I'm playing on the RU OBT and love it. Most of you should I don't know, actually play the game before commenting? Novel idea I know.
  • MalanthiusMalanthius Member UncommonPosts: 13
    And I've played ESO beta. I think AA is a better game. Better looking too!
  • Ryoshi1Ryoshi1 Member Posts: 139
    ewww they peed in the sand D: