Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen: Post-KickStarter Plans Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

With only five days to go in the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Kickstarter campaign, and with nearly 50% of funding yet to be raised, the team has laid out the details for the post-crowd sourcing effort. Most notably, the team plans to continue crowd funding via the game's own site, whether or not KS is successful. The post also lays out the first details of a three-tiered subscription plan.

The free subscription will allow you to interact with friends and guildmates on the social hub portion of the site where you can create or join guilds or groups and interact with your social connections through the site. As a free subscriber, you'll also be able to see all of the public areas of the website and forums to keep up with what's going on with Pantheon.

The Supporter subscription will allow you all of the functionality of the free subscription and will include a special name color for supporters in the social hub, chat room and forums. As a supporter you'll also be able to reply and offer answers to topics in the Think Tank, which is a special area of the site where developers and community will be tossing around some ideas for feedback. The top messages get voted up, and potentially worked into the game! Supporters will be able to post on the non-public forums.

The Champion subscription will include everything the Supporter level has, with a new unique name color exclusive to champions, and the ability to post and comment in the wiki. In addition to all of this, champions will be invited to a weekly roundtable stream where they'll be able to participate directly with the devs while discussing the design of the game. Topics of the roundtable will vary from points brought up in the Think Tank, to discussions from the Champions forums, to design details of actual game elements. This subscription will get you more involved than ever before!

Read the full post on the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PigglesworthPigglesworth Member UncommonPosts: 260
    Finally, maybe all the "hard core" gamers will stop claiming that all MMO gamers want what they claim. Pantheon offered them everything they asked for and it still couldn't get even $500k funding.

Apparently the "hard core" gamers are a loud minority that will not put their money where they mouth is.

@PigglesworthTWR on Twitter

Pigglesworth @ EQNForum.com, MMORPG.com, EQNextfans.com, ProjectNorrath.com, & EQNFanSite.com

Malcontent @ EQNexus.com & EQHammer.com

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Pigglesworth
    Finally, maybe all the "hard core" gamers will stop claiming that all MMO gamers want what they claim. Pantheon offered them everything they asked for and it still couldn't get even $500k funding.

Apparently the "hard core" gamers are a loud minority that will not put their money where they mouth is.

The reason being that this proposed game is not even close to hard core.   They might want you to think it is, but this is just another themepark in disguise.  It might be harder than the average theme park, but that is all relative.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

A bit bitter? As a "hard core' gamer myself, Brad McQuaid is a loon anyhow so I expect the development on this game to change focus a lot (not a good thing).

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654

I pulled my pledge.  This KS has been a train wreck from the start. IMO Brad turned up thinking his name alone would get him the funding his game needs.  Now the KS has failed and by the looks of it Brad and the team are not going to try and save it by already concentrating on plan B.   If he had turned up with something concrete instead of placeholder graphics and a vague collection of  ideas it may have got funded but instead it shows the team's arrogance or poorly thought out business plan and mis-management.  There is no way I'll be donating money to a private website or subscribing to access part of their forums after the evidence they have shown on how not to run a KS campaign.  How can I have faith they would be able to deliver a fully functioning MMO.

It's a shame.  I feel this KS does not represent the community who would want a game based on the core concepts of EQ and VG.  I hope it does not cause lasting damage and maybe another dev will take up the mantle to deliver an old school MMORPG.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Buccaneer

I pulled my pledge.  This KS has been a train wreck from the start. IMO Brad turned up thinking his name alone would get him the funding his game needs.  Now the KS has failed and by the looks of it Brad and the team are not going to try and save it by already concentrating on plan B.   If he had turned up with something concrete instead of placeholder graphics and a vague collection of  ideas it may have got funded but instead it shows the team's arrogance or poorly thought out business plan and mis-management.  There is no way I'll be donating money to a private website or subscribing to access part of their forums after the evidence they have shown on how not to run a KS campaign.  How can I have faith they would be able to deliver a fully functioning MMO.

It's a shame.  I feel this KS does not represent the community who would want a game based on the core concepts of EQ and VG.  I hope it does not cause lasting damage and maybe another dev will take up the mantle to deliver an old school MMORPG.

+1

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    [mod edit]

Kickstarter dont give them the money if the campaing fails. Im not an erudite on Ks but I think it works that way.

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Vaporware in 3...2...1...

On a serious note, they will not be able to raise the money.

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It could very well be there aren' enough people that want this type of game. I think theres an audience for it though, several hundred thousand people played the original EQ, UO, DAOC, and those same people are out there probably still playing mmorps's, they didn't just all die off. There's potential.

The problem is the Kickstarter from the beginning was a mess. First thing, first impressions are important. To start, that pitiful video they had up at the beginning that lacked enthusiasm, and bored us to tears, while they read from a script (the only smart thing they've done since they started the Kickstarter was to take that video down).

The tiers are just thrown together, and the ones that "the best deal" type tiers like the $45 one went fast, that tier should have been at least a $100 tier imo. Their lack of focus, lack of interaction with backers/potential backers from the start has been pathetic, lack of direction...can go on and on. Brad was MIA for a few weeks after the Kickstarter started, and the interaction given wasn't much and still isn't.

From the beginning it's been limping along and they did nothing to try and fix that. Instead they went a few weeks into the Kickstarter and were working on their own website for after Kickstarter failed. That doesn't give much faith in them. They failed to draw us in give us confidence in the project. They gave us no reason to back the project other than, hey it's old school.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Just so I'm clear: My kickstarter donation does not go through if the KS campaign fails right?

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by Binny45
    Just so I'm clear: My kickstarter donation does not go through if the KS campaign fails right?

Correct.

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

Has more to do with Brad McQuaid being associated with it and the lingering remnants/memories/feelings of the initial release of Vanguard.

shrug.

• iridescenceiridescence Member UncommonPosts: 1,552

This Kickstarter was poorly run. PVP and crafting should have been included in the base game for one thing and if you are making a tech demo to get investors don't pretend it's a full game.

A Kickstarter for a game with these basic ideas could raise the money but just because you have good ideas people still be able to trust that you can make the game you're promising to make for the money you are asking for or they aren't going to back your game.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Except Pantheon didn't offer much of anything. No crafting, no housing, nothing but combat and dungeons. Everything that is necessary to put the RPG in MMORPG was buried in stretch goals.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by alakram
    Originally posted by Buccaneer

+1

Except this has been shown to be sufficient in the past.

Its a combination of poorly run kickstarter, vanguard's failure, and kickstarter fatigue.

The people that will donate to a kickstarter are already tied up in multiple other mmorpgs, none of them remotely close to release.  Not all are willing to add more.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

am i missing this by leaps and bounds, or are they asking me to pay 5-15 a month to use forums?

because if they are, not only am i not giving them my damn money but i'm also gonna put it towards one of their kickstarted competitors.

i'll set a poll and ask which one of the games i've already kickstarted, and who have treated me with respect, i should give another 50 to.  Choices being star citizen, Garriott;s game, repop, camelot unchained, and hex.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by xxtriadxx

Has more to do with Brad McQuaid being associated with it and the lingering remnants/memories/feelings of the initial release of Vanguard.

shrug.

I don't know the guy. I do know that he presented about a page worth of game info, then asked for money. I think most people need a little more to go on.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by itchmon

am i missing this by leaps and bounds, or are they asking me to pay 5-15 a month to use forums?

because if they are, not only am i not giving them my damn money but i'm also gonna put it towards one of their kickstarted competitors.

i'll set a poll and ask which one of the games i've already kickstarted, and who have treated me with respect, i should give another 50 to.  Choices being star citizen, Garriott;s game, repop, camelot unchained, and hex.

While it is odd, fundraising is fundraising.  None of the other games you mentioned are competition, there is no competition for this game because its the only of its kind being developed.

Worst case they work as a small staff until SoE releases EQNext and is free to invest in Pantheon.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by bcbully

shrug.

I don't know the guy. I do know that he presented about a page worth of game info, then asked for money. I think most people need a little more to go on.

+1

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    Originally posted by itchmon

Here is the info on the sub tier's for the official forums.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588672538/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/posts

The free subscription will allow you to interact with friends and guildmates on the social hub portion of the site where you can create or join guilds or groups and interact with your social connections through the site. As a free subscriber, you'll also be able to see all of the public areas of the website and forums to keep up with what's going on with Pantheon.

The Supporter subscription will allow you all of the functionality of the free subscription and will include a special name color for supporters in the social hub, chat room and forums. As a supporter you'll also be able to reply and offer answers to topics in the Think Tank, which is a special area of the site where developers and community will be tossing around some ideas for feedback. The top messages get voted up, and potentially worked into the game! Supporters will be able to post on the non-public forums.

The Champion subscription will include everything the Supporter level has, with a new unique name color exclusive to champions, and the ability to post and comment in the wiki. In addition to all of this, champions will be invited to a weekly roundtable stream where they'll be able to participate directly with the devs while discussing the design of the game. Topics of the roundtable will vary from points brought up in the Think Tank, to discussions from the Champions forums, to design details of actual game elements. This subscription will get you more involved than ever before!

As we're putting the final touches on the site, please keep in mind that the site is not yet complete and should be considered to be in beta until it launches after the Kickstarter.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Well it wont get funded. It wont get funding on their website. It wont be hitting walmarts shelves. BUT raise your hand if you have already wrote down your character name and drew a picture of what he/she will look like. /chuckles
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

you know i pledged $375 to the initial campaign, havent withdrew it it's sitting there but it's not gonna go through, if they had of made it more realistic like say $350k, with the game design and a lot of information to go off straight off the bat and the $350k going towards a tech demo say 5 months from the KS funding date, i would have been ok with that...

if they had of done another campaign after having the tech demo done and more information etc... i would have pledged more money at that campaign.

but paying $15 a month for forum subscription (top tier) and then pledging on the website outside of said subscription to get rewards is now just starting to become a joke. I wont support the game by subscribing to a forum.

• GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

I am a great believer in putting my money where my mouth is. Simply put I have for years been saying I wanted a updated EQ1 I also enjoyed Vanguard and was even one of the few who in early Beta was actually able to run it on full settings. Unfortunately they were a bit to ambitious there and had to tone the graphics down a lot due to the serious resource requirements (at the time). Vanguard went wrong and there can be no denying they were to ambitious with what they were building and it slapped them down hard BUT the concept was good and if it had been given continued funding I believe it could have held its head high.

brad makes games I like his concept for the most part matches mine so I did sponsor his Kickstarter and I will be subscribing to the Thinktank feel it will be kind of cool to be at the base so to speak and see a game develop.

• RhazmuzRhazmuz Member UncommonPosts: 208

Sooo

They want people to subscribe to a website, and thus pay for game development?

Ok, think I will just leave this be

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz

Sooo

They want people to subscribe to a website, and thus pay for game development?

Ok, think I will just leave this be

Can't see anything wrong with that at all for instance Star Citizen is doing the same thing subscribers get more perks and exclusive content,can see many more games doing this and if the option is there then let the people take it as long as the game is then fully transparent in it's development I am and many are fine with this payment model.

p>
  • xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by bcbully

shrug.

Numerous reason it may not be getting the funding wanted/needed but.....If Richard Garriot or say Sid Meier had done the same the reaction would be more positive.