Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Instancing and phasing

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The true problem of this game is how instancing and phasing work..

I.e.   when i open up the tomb of the dragonlord which was closed for centuries, i find dozens of players running around inside

When i group questgoals are still solo... so if i have to light 3 torches inside, everyone in my group has to lit the same 3 torches..

The content is not dynamic, meaning that if there are 40 man in a mini dungeon all content is trivialised

Many times when i have followed the main questline in an area, stepping trough the different stances, the world ends up as a ahppy place... with no challenges and not even ennemie mobs around to fight..  If you do all quests, the world left behind might feel like an empty shell..

I think they never saw this comming because their closed beta testers where very few, there werent dozens of testers running around the zones in closed beta just mostly soloing players.  And they almost never met other people inside the instances or phases... they never noticed the problem...  

Untill the open beta tests got around, and people started complaining about it.  

For me this currently is the biggest possible gamebreaker, and i hope they will be able to work out a solution in the few weaks to come, i can see some solutions solving the problem withouth to much coding, however it might bring some extra server load for having extra zones around..

there is one other big complaint for me.. closely connected to the stuff above..

The anchors...   they are not dynamic, and when dozens of people are around it trivializes the content..  on top of that they dont spawn evasions or patroll like they do in Rift... big miss here..   There should have been some kind of content to spice up the static world outside the phasing.. espescially when you finished most of the phasing content..

The developers while creating a great game failed to pick up some of the more recent  big things in MMOs that actually do work to spice up things and create a PvE world with a more dynamic feeling..

For the rest my complaints are minor...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• LisaFlexy22LisaFlexy22 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    That's what a public dungeon is and why there are both public and instanced dungeons in this game.  16 of both at launch.  I like them they remind me of Vanguard.  Some won't like them and that's ok they can stick with the instanced dungeons.
  • PyatraPyatra Member Posts: 644
    You will only be doing each anchor once or twice if at all... it's not something to grind, it's just something that happens, each one has different enemy sets.  So don't grind them, do one and just move on, it's all good.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

There is an issue with some of the quest dungeons/area (I think it's an issue) where you enter and other players have "just" gotten there before you and kill the boss or accomplish "whatever" and you get credit even though you never did a single thing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    I like this game and have it pre-ordered but I do agree somewhat with the OP.  The phasing system is cutting edge and very clever technology but it does have it's drawbacks and quirks that need to be ironed out.  Like all new things however it will have it's teething troubles so give it awhile and a few patches here and there.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Agreed OP, it's a deal breaker for many as it completely derails the game.

Trivialises the content is a very accurate statement.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I think they never saw this comming because their closed beta testers where very few, there werent dozens of testers running around the zones in closed beta just mostly soloing players.  And they almost never met other people inside the instances or phases... they never noticed the problem...  

Seriously? You think that company developing a Massively Multiplayer Online game, which also is next game in a series, of wich previous game sold more than 20 milion copys and had more than 2 milion people playing at the same time, heaven't thought about what will happen when a lot of people start playing their game?

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by SimonVDH

Seriously? You think that company developing a Massively Multiplayer Online game, which also is next game in a series, of wich previous game sold more than 20 milion copys and had more than 2 milion people playing at the same time, heaven't thought about what will happen when a lot of people start playing their game?

Obviously they have not, the proof was in the stresstest beta

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259

Great points Bachus, I would have to agree with most of it. The biggest thing for me was the empty world feel, you nailed this point. There needs to be way more mobs running around not to the point where its annoying to travel but at least somewhat dangerous.

Having said that I did read where once you hit 50+ the zones become 'hard mode' for players hope that helps with the emptiness feel.

Good stuff!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Pr0tag0ni5t

Great points Bachus, I would have to agree with most of it. The biggest thing for me was the empty world feel, you nailed this point. There needs to be way more mobs running around not to the point where its annoying to travel but at least somewhat dangerous.

Having said that I did read where once you hit 50+ the zones become 'hard mode' for players hope that helps with the emptiness feel.

Good stuff!

Elder Scrolls is not at all like that.

The world of Skyrim was vastly empty for its size, with many points of interest and the hostile ones had groups of enemies, but beyond the occasional dragon swooping in on you or random wolf/sabertooth attack, very few "mobs running around" outside of the towns and other such POI's.

If ESO were designed like a more "standard" MMO with fields full of mobs just walking around waiting to die, it would not be very Elder Scrolls.

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Good stuff!

The world of Skyrim was vastly empty for its size, with many points of interest and the hostile ones had groups of enemies, but beyond the occasional dragon swooping in on you or random wolf/sabertooth attack, very few "mobs running around" outside of the towns and other such POI's.

If ESO were designed like a more "standard" MMO with fields full of mobs just walking around waiting to die, it would not be very Elder Scrolls.

I agree with what point as well. However, Skyrim felt alive and dangerous as I traveled and explored.

Since you like to make assumptions about my post, like I've never played an Elder Scroll game before or I want static npc groups to maul. I will make one about you....If you have played ESO then you can't say it feels anything like walking around in Skyrim because it doesn't.

Like I said not endless/mindless sea of mobs to kill. But it would be nice to have something that wants eat me/rob me/ or worse is all not just pretty travel scenery.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Good stuff!

I agree BadSpock. For some reason I keep thinking there arn't many Elder Scrolls fans on this site. I read the complain about the "empty world" several times and I just don't get it. I actually think TESO feels very much like a Elder Scrolls game and it puts a smile on my face when hitting familiar places and see other players running around or just randomly socializing.

I actually hate it when entering a MMORPG and every step you take there are mobs just standing there to be killed. In most ES gams mobs will be there if it's a meaningfull location/area.

On topic from what I read about the OP I understand the complaint but can't really place myself in that issue because Ihavn't experianced it just yet.

• Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by SimonVDH

Obviously they have not, the proof was in the stresstest beta

If they didn't see it coming before even alpha testing began then they are incompetent in the field concurrent programming.  You cannot make an MMO that functions if you are incompetent at concurrent programming

The idea of management of shared resources is not a new problem in Computer Science.  Its quite old as things go (decades).

There is simply no way that the actual programmers (or some subset of them) did not understand the issue.  You simply cannot make a functioning MMO without some people on these team that can understand this.  Perhaps the game design people didn't understand it and perhaps they don't listen to the people who actually code things.

But its not about testing.  Unless they have some weird timing bug or something.  But if its a bug you would probably see inconsistent behavior and confused players rather than irritated players.